Wrapping Hair - is it Good or Bad? What's the Final Word?

Does Wrapping Your Hair Help or Hurt Your Hair?

• I wrap my hair nightly, its helped my hair grow & get healthier

Votes: 35 39.3%
  • I used to wrap but don't anymore because it caused problems with my hair

Votes: 37 41.6%
  • I've never wrapped my hair at night - I do something else & my hair is thriving

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • I do nothing to my hair at night

Votes: 7 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

foxieroxienyc

I actually recently started wrapping my hair, but still have a bit of trepidation about it. However I do like the results I get from being able to preserve my rollersets. I think the key is all in the technique and tools. I think it's really important to first moisturize your ends so that it prevents excessive breakage while being manipulated, and then to also make sure you use tools that will not rake and wreck havoc on your hair. For me that means wrapping loosely with a wide tooth comb, and then LIGHTLY brushing the VERY TOP layer of the hair to smooth it out just a little bit before putting on my scarf.

I loose no hair in this process, and when I take it down in the morning I can do so with my fingers and style. Usually I like to just re-bump with some carusos so I don't have that weird "wrap circle" hair look, lol. I like to crosswrap, and regular wrap. When I regular wrap I switch directions every other day.

empressri

Since I barely flat iron, about once or twice a year, I would wrap my hair and then my scalp would be unbearably sore. So I just sort of put it in a bun and sleep with a scarf on. Plus it has these gorgeous waves when I do that, and they stay in!

girlcherokee

I actually recently started wrapping my hair, but still have a bit of trepidation about it. However I do like the results I get from being able to preserve my rollersets. I think the key is all in the technique and tools. I think it's really important to first moisturize your ends so that it prevents excessive breakage while being manipulated, and then to also make sure you use tools that will not rake and wreck havoc on your hair. For me that means wrapping loosely with a wide tooth comb, and then LIGHTLY brushing the VERY TOP layer of the hair to smooth it out just a little bit before putting on my scarf.

I loose no hair in this process, and when I take it down in the morning I can do so with my fingers and style. Usually I like to just re-bump with some carusos so I don't have that weird "wrap circle" hair look, lol. I like to crosswrap, and regular wrap. When I regular wrap I switch directions every other day.

foxie,
do you use pins? i know for me, bobby pins wreak havok in my hair so i avoid those.

kadej

Wrapping thinned my edges out tremendously (even alternating)... I'm currently liking the 'wavy' look, so I've been putting bantu knots or pin curls in my hair nightly.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

The problem people have with wrapping is the thinning edges. If you alternate which way you wrap every week or so, there shouldn't be a problem :yep:

I second that. works out for me and I put moiturizer in my hair nightly, wrap and cover my wrap with a satin doorag, and then cover THAT with a satin scarf. my hair stay straighter longer and is usually soft and moisturized when I unwrap it in the morning. Alternate the wrap direction most def!

TLC1020

I used to wrap my hair years ago, but my left side would always be shorter than my right side and my edges on the left side would be a hot mess :wallbash: but my ends were always healthy :ohwell:.

Now that my hair is longer I cross wrap when I decide to wrap..

DaDragonPrincess

I wraps my hair depending on styles I wear, tonight I been wrapping my hair all week. I have wrapped my hair alot in the past and its been no problem.

Solitude

I used to wrap my hair years ago, but my left side would always be shorter than my right side and my edges on the left side would be a hot mess :wallbash: but my ends were always healthy :ohwell:.

Now that my hair is longer I cross wrap when I decide to wrap..

How do you preserve you hair at night? I've been a faithful hair wrapper for years, and honestly I don't know any other way. I pin curl occasionally.

For those of you who are relaxed, please share what you do with your hair at night besides wrapping....

mxdchiq86

i've been wrapping my hair lately and i think i'm going to have to call it quits. i can already tell that if it hasn't already, eventually my edges are going to endure some damage from this.

yuriko

when you guys say cross wrapping, what do you mean? Do you mean alternating the direction everyday

foxieroxienyc

Ok for some reason, my edges hurt on the left side of my head from wrapping all of a sudden. There's a REALLY SORE SPOT from when I wrapped today. That was enough for me to throw in the towel. Back to good ole cross wrapping for me.

DarkAngell

I used to but it caused thinning on one side. I know you should alternate but i couldnt because my hair does not look right when wrapped in the other direction. I only do it once in a blue now.
And like foxie said... I also had sore spots on my edges

It's great for some, detrimental for others. All that matters is how well it works for you.

I used to, but I don't anymore, my left side is thinner in the front than the right, so I'm putting less stress on it.

I really don't intend to start wrapping again, I can get the same results with doing a few pincurls, and it's less manipulation, and I don't have to worry about messing up and having it swerve to one side. But that's just me ..
yeah def:yep: I used to wrap too but the thinning at my right side just wasn't working, then I discovered pin curls:love::love: it gives me a bit of a curl on my ends with I absolutly love!

BlackMasterPiece

I think wrapping nightly is FAR too much unnecessary manipulation to the hair even relaxed hair. I pin curl my hair up at night and its way better, its super gentle on the hair and I only finger comb since my hair is already straightened and I'm dealing with very few tangles in the first place. First you comb it into the the wrap then you gotta brush it into place repeatedly for a smooth wrap:nono: there are much better ways to go about protecting your ends.

Then you wake up in the morning and take out the wrap, one side has body and annoying baby hairs that stick up and the other is laying down flat:rolleyes: The only thing that comes out cute is a silk wrap for that silky effect after styling but to do that nightly?:nono:

Do braid-outs, bantu knot-outs, and pin curls, I get lasting cute loose curls in the front and a straight bumped effect in the back:love2:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I use to wrap my hair but my edges would be funny. I still wrap it now but only for a few days right after I get my rollerset.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
just my very humble opinion-there can't be any "final words" on any technique.
everybody's hair is different.

back2relaxed

I used to wrap and that caused the left side to be shorter and thinner.

Now that my hair is growing out, I have had to figure out other ways to keep my hair at night. I have been piling it into my satin bonnet. If it needs add'l "bumping" in the morning. I use my Carusos to refresh. So far so good.