Wrapping Hair - is it Good or Bad? What's the Final Word?

Does Wrapping Your Hair Help or Hurt Your Hair?

• I wrap my hair nightly, its helped my hair grow & get healthier

Votes: 35 39.3%
  • I used to wrap but don't anymore because it caused problems with my hair

Votes: 37 41.6%
  • I've never wrapped my hair at night - I do something else & my hair is thriving

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • I do nothing to my hair at night

Votes: 7 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wyldcurlz

its been discussed (many times) before. but what's the final word on wrapping hair at bedtime?

do you feel it protects the ends? or protects the hair from breakage?
or do you feel it contributes to thinning (if so, how?) or do you think it causes or contributes to thinning of the hairline? or receding hairline?

if you do NOT wrap your hair at night? what do you do or how do you wear your hair at bedtime??

i want to what's been successful for you at bedtime?

my goal is to prevent breakage and split ends. i just got a cut & i have a fresh start now and want to preseve it.

I forgot to add to the poll - do you wrap you hair and see no changes. its neither negative nor positive. just...whatever.

Last edited:

robot.

if it was on the poll, i'd have chosen the neutral response. this is a great question. i want to know too! :yep:

TexturedTresses

I didn't answer either because I'm not sure of the response. I've always wrapped my hair and don't know if it could be better if I didn't. However, I've never done it on a nightly basis because I'm lazy.

MrsWatson

I used to wrap my hair everynight...
It caused major breakage on my left side though...
Ever since I stopped wrapping and just started putting it into one big plait for bed, my left side has really thrived...
I don't think I will ever go back to wrapping at night...

Babychoc

I love wrapping! Actually, my hair ONLY looks good when I wrap nightly. I have never had any problems from it. My hair and ends stay nice and moisturized from wrapping. It keeps me from using heat all the time. However, my hair is now much longer, and I am becoming concerned about continuing this on long hair. We'll see how it goes.

imanc84

i have to wrap my hair nightly or else i wake up looking like a troll. :lachen:I have def noticed thinning on the side that i wrap it and am considering using cross wrapping when my hair gets longer. if i had to say whether or not it helps i would have to say yes because i don't have any other options

robot.

what do you mean by thinning on the side you wrap? like, if you brush it to the left, that's where you saw the breakage?

Simply_Kelz

It's great for some, detrimental for others. All that matters is how well it works for you.

I used to, but I don't anymore, my left side is thinner in the front than the right, so I'm putting less stress on it.

I really don't intend to start wrapping again, I can get the same results with doing a few pincurls, and it's less manipulation, and I don't have to worry about messing up and having it swerve to one side. But that's just me ..

Simply_Kelz

what do you mean by thinning on the side you wrap? like, if you brush it to the left, that's where you saw the breakage?

I used to brush mine to the right, and my left side [when I have to brush it against the grain and to the front] broke off and thinned out in the front. I'm assuming this is what the OP meant.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
The problem people have with wrapping is the thinning edges. If you alternate which way you wrap every week or so, there shouldn't be a problem :yep:

frizzy

Until a few months ago I was wrapping my hair nightly and did that for a few months. I alternated every night which way the wrap went. It just dawned recently that that is why I had scraggly, raggedy ends on the right side of my head. I thought it came from some earrings I have :ohwell:.

So what I'm trying to say is I don't think wrapping is a problem, but the brushing the wrap flat with a boar bristle brush is what I now think did my hair in. I'm sure I was more heavy handed with that side of my hair too, because the left side did just fine. So in the future, when I wrap, I will only use a comb to do it.

It's not wrapping that is bad, just tecniques. You can't use a brush to cross-wrap can you?

No brush=success

ASJ227

I used to wrap my hair everynight...
It caused major breakage on my left side though...
Ever since I stopped wrapping and just started putting it into one big plait for bed, my left side has really thrived...
I don't think I will ever go back to wrapping at night...

Woah.. a light bulb just went off. :blush: I ALWAYS wrap my hair before bed and it never occurred to me that that could be the reason for hair breakage. My left side is considerably shorter than my right, but I never considered it was because of wrapping. I always thought I was benefiting my hair. I'm now transitioning, so now is a great time to switch it up... THANKS!

mezzogirl

Years ago when my hair was much longer, I always wrapped and my hair did well. The past few years I can hear breakage when combing the hair around. I also hear breakage when taking it down in the morning. I'm unsure now what I think about wrapping. It does not hurt my ends. Maybe my technique is wrong or my hair is weak in some areas and snaps.

A_Christian

I don't think wrapping is necessarily bad for my hair, but it requires too much manipulation for my tastes. On the rare occasion that I do wrap my hair nightly I will alternate the direction I wrap it in every night to avoid putting to much tension on one side and I also use a wide tooth seamless comb instead of a brush.

Instead of wrapping I usually gather all of my hair like I would if I were to make a ponytail and instead of putting a ponytial holder around it I wrap the hair around my head without combing it in place then tie my silk scarf on. This keeps my hair in place without actually wrapping it around my head with a comb.

almondjoi85

I wrap when I have blowouts, but that's not all that often especially now since it's summer. But I have never experienced any hair issues from it.

civic4800

I wrapped nightly for the past 4 years. About 8 months ago, I noticed my edges seemed to be thinning but I didn't know why. Also, I would hear "snapping" while wrapping but didn't know what it was so I didn't do anything about it. After finding this site in Feb., I stopped wrapping nightly. My hair appears better around my edges. The downside is that I still haven't found a bedtime way to wear my hair that produces the smooth, straight look that I got in the mornings when I unwrapped. For some reason, cross wrapping doesn't work for me.

Scasey

I tried wrapping and it never worked for me. I got discouraged until my stylist hipped me on to an alternative way to preseerve my style. I split my hair down the middle, take the ends, tuck them under and secure them with a pin if I want a straight look. If I want just a little curl, I will take a hard large roller, roll a section, pull the roller out and secure the section with a pin. I will have about 10 sections when I am done. I wear a maverickwear cap and when I get up in the morning I just take the pins out and my hair looks like it has been curled.

P

Paradox

its been discussed (many times) before. but what's the final word on wrapping hair at bedtime?

do you feel it protects the ends? or protects the hair from breakage?
or do you feel it contributes to thinning (if so, how?) or do you think it causes or contributes to thinning of the hairline? or receding hairline?

if you do NOT wrap your hair at night? what do you do or how do you wear your hair at bedtime??

i want to what's been successful for you at bedtime?

my goal is to prevent breakage and split ends. i just got a cut & i have a fresh start now and want to preseve it.

I forgot to add to the poll - do you wrap you hair and see no changes. its neither negative nor positive. just...whatever.
you can do the cross wrap....

juicee428

my hair has to be freshly relaxed for me to wrap it, any time after 3wks post makes my scalp sore no matter which way i alternate it

normacyri

OKay ladies,
Please clarify for this newbie:perplexed.
Cross wrapping?????

IS this switching up the direction of the wrap from day to day or a whole different technique?

I've just gotten a touch up and have been wrapping every night.
I've planned to make this my staple, when not bunning, for the Winter and can't afford any more breakage on my left side.

Highly Favored8

I did wraping for about 8 years and as a result. My hair on one side thinned out.:wallbash:. Now, my hair is back to normal after 2 years full and thick APL. I do not wrap only every 12-18 weeks this is when I get my touch ups redone!:yep:

classi123

If you notice that wrapping starts to thin your hair you should wrap it in the other directions every few days!! I notice the breakage stopped once I switched up everyother day! HTH

Wrapping has kept my hair looking good and fresh.

LushLox

I think anything that makes your hairline hurt can't really be good for you long term.

I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I've wrapped my hair. It's something that I will only do very very ocassionally, because knowing my luck it will just end up breaking my hair.

I'm really enjoying the results I get from pin curls though.

Anew

It depends I would say. My friend who is not actively trying to grow her hair wraps her hair every night. She has nice thick ends and hair...