Votes: 5 3.8%
  • infrequent washing

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • lack of moisture

Votes: 71 54.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EccentricRed

I'd say different strokes for different folks... (sorry to those who will read that and start singing the song to the TV show :look:)

My mother had at least BSL hair most of my childhood, when she was a teenager she had waistlength hair. Her hair survived lye relaxers, irons (and I don't mean flat irons) combing, brushing, wearing her hair down daily, blowdrying, and radiation treatment/chemotherapy. I have never seen her hair in an unhealthy state.

I, on the other hand, (minus having the radiation/chemo) cannot handle having too much of anything on your list. So my assumption is that it's all damaging, it's probably based on your scalp/hair.

Last edited:

RegaLady

I'd say different strokes for different folks... (sorry to those who will read that and start singing the song to the TV show :look:)

My mother had at least BSL hair most of my childhood, when she was a teenager she had waistlength hair. Her hair survived lye relaxers, irons (and I don't mean flat irons) combing, brushing, wearing her hair down daily, blowdrying, and radiation treatment/chemotherapy. I have never seen her hair in an unhealthy state.

I, on the other hand, (minus having the radiation/chemo) cannot handle having too much of anything on your list. So my assumption is that it's all damaging, it's probably based on your scalp/hair.

ITA!! I say different strokes for differnt folks. For ME its flat ironing excessively. And I need moisture.

But my mother who has WL hair never moisterizes her hair and she NEVER has or had breakage AND she is a 4a/b. But she doesn't manipulate her hair and she PS it 99.9% of the time. So it depends.

itismehmmkay

Lack of moisture.

Sometimes infrequent washing and lack of deep conditioning can cause lack of moisture, hence possible damage.

I think blowdrying may be next, then combing.

IMFOCSD

ITA!! I say different strokes for differnt folks. For ME its flat ironing excessively. And I need moisture.

But my mother who has WL hair never moisterizes her hair and she NEVER has or had breakage AND she is a 4a/b. But she doesn't manipulate her hair and she PS it 99.9% of the time. So it depends.

Wow lol, man I had to learn the hard way what lack of moisture can do to my hair. Combing contributes to more damage than anything listed in the poll for me though. I only comb like 2or3 times a month and only when my hair is wet with lots of conditioner.

Bubblingbrownshuga

hello ladies!

I was just curious to see your opinions on what u think causes the most damage to the hair. I wanna say combing...i notice that when I comb my hair often, I dont see much growth after a relaxer due to the amount of breakage I experience from combing.

Speaking from personal experience, I truly believe combing causes the most damage because it's typically done every day. I remember when I used to comb daily, I couldn't for the life of me figure out why my roots were textured, but my hair strands were straight, sans heat. Going natural and reducing the number of times I comb made it obvious that combing reeked havoc on my hair.

ladysaraii

I think that infrequent washing can damage hair.

For me, going too long without washing my hair leads to or exacerbates scalp issues, which in turn will affect hair health.

SO maybe it's more indirect, but I do think it can cause harm

fiyahwerks

For my head: Lack of Moisture. I live in a cold environment. Winter robs my poor scalp and hair of much needed moisture. No moisture equal hard, brittle, dry, and flaky hair.

lonelysky

Baby Chick Gate 2011
I voted flat irons, but I change my vote to lack of moisture. Somehow I missed that when I voted.