• infrequent washing

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • lack of moisture

Votes: 71 54.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IMFOCSD

hello ladies!

I was just curious to see your opinions on what u think causes the most damage to the hair. I wanna say combing...i notice that when I comb my hair often, I dont see much growth after a relaxer due to the amount of breakage I experience from combing.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
ALL of them can cause damage to your hair. It's all about technique when it comes to comparing which one causes the most damage or not.

Flawlis1

I voted for blowdrying to be the most damaging. I stopped blow torching my hair about 6 years ago, and it has made all the difference in the world to my hair. My hair texture has even changed from not blowing.... and for the better.

sj73

I say lack of moisture for me. I stopped blowdrying about 10 years ago and after my last 4 month stretch, I have proof that lack of moisture (and protein) can cause damage...profile update coming soon. :sad:

IMFOCSD

ALL of them can cause damage to your hair. It's all about technique when it comes to comparing which one causes the most damage or not.

Hello Poohbear! you are absolutely right but I just wanted to see which one contributes to the most damage. some women can say blow dryers cause more damage than flat irons and some women dont have to apply moisture often because they dc on a regular basis. like for me I dont dc that often but it does not cause as much damage as combing...maybe I shoulda made the poll multiple choice lol but if you could pick one which would it be?

IMFOCSD

I say lack of moisture for me. I stopped blowdrying about 10 years ago and after my last 4 month stretch, I have proof that lack of moisture (and protein) can cause damage...profile update coming soon. :sad:

dang, I forgot to put lack of prorein treatments. I rarely use protein but I am gonna start doing them more often.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
how does lack of deep conditioning and infrequent washing cause damage to the hair?:perplexed

in frequent washing would really have to do with the scalp and it wouldnt cause damage to the hair at all even if the hair was coated with crap.

deep conditioning many not be necessary depending on the hairs condition. it is mainly used to repair the damage that comes from heat and manual manipulation but i dont see how they can cause damage unless an allergy was involved which the hair would probably fall out from the root.

i think blowdryers are the worst they are usually not as controlled heat sources like a flat iron. with a flat iron you can chose between temperature in degree increments but with a blowdryer its just high and low. maybe medium if you have a good dryer but what temperature is that really? plus with dryers brushes and combs are raked through the hair repeatedly while in a fragile state at a temperature that may be just as hot as a flat iron and the heat flow must stay on the hair until its straight vs a pass or so of a flat iron. plus often they overdry the hair which can make it less elastic and cause it to break.

IMFOCSD

how does lack of deep conditioning and infrequent washing cause damage to the hair?:perplexed

in frequent washing would really have to do with the scalp and it wouldnt cause damage to the hair at all even if the hair was coated with crap.

deep conditioning many not be necessary depending on the hairs condition. it is mainly used to repair the damage that comes from heat and manual manipulation but i dont see how they can cause damage unless an allergy was involved which the hair would probably fall out from the root.

i think blowdryers are the worst they are usually not as controlled heat sources like a flat iron. with a flat iron you can chose between temperature in degree increments but with a blowdryer its just high and low. maybe medium if you have a good dryer but what temperature is that really? plus with dryers brushes and combs are raked through the hair repeatedly while in a fragile state at a temperature that may be just as hot as a flat iron and the heat flow must stay on the hair until its straight vs a pass or so of a flat iron. plus often they overdry the hair which can make it less elastic and cause it to break.

to answer your question, what causes damage to your hair may not be the case for someone else...and what prevents damage to your or my hair does not prevenr damage in another persons hair. shampoo does more than just cleanses ths scalp, it penetrates the strands also which beneficial. deep conditioning is very important when it comes to hairs health and the fact that their are so many dc challenges is one way to prove that. I bet if I was to dc more often I would see some type of improvement. I wanted people to name one thing that they have noticed from their own personal experience.

Poohbear

Hello Poohbear! you are absolutely right but I just wanted to see which one contributes to the most damage. some women can say blow dryers cause more damage than flat irons and some women dont have to apply moisture often because they dc on a regular basis. like for me I dont dc that often but it does not cause as much damage as combing...maybe I shoulda made the poll multiple choice lol but if you could pick one which would it be?

The one I would choose as the most damaging is not on the list. I would say excessive rough manipulation - whether it's combing, brushing, or styling your hair. I believe being very gentle and treating your hair like silk is key to not damaging your hair.

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
to answer your question, what causes damage to your hair may not be the case for someone else...and what prevents damage to your or my hair does not prevenr damage in another persons hair. shampoo does more than just cleanses ths scalp, it penetrates the strands also which beneficial. deep conditioning is very important when it comes to hairs health and the fact that their are so many dc challenges is one way to prove that. I bet if I was to dc more often I would see some type of improvement. I wanted people to name one thing that they have noticed from their own personal experience.

i see the things i mentioned help maintain healthy hair and keep it from getting damaged but i do not see how not doing so will damage the hair either. for example a condom will prevent a baby but not using a condom doesnt cause a baby. intercourse does.:look:

can you give me a specific example?

it just doesnt make sense to me.

Poohbear

I see most people so far have said blowdrying is most damaging. For my hair, it is not. I just see blowdrying as blowing air on your hair to dry it whether it's cool or hot.

And like Napp, I also do not see how infrequent washing is damaging to hair.

IMFOCSD

The one I would choose as the most damaging is not on the list. I would say excessive rough manipulation - whether it's combing, brushing, or styling your hair. I believe being very gentle and treating your hair like silk is key to not damaging your hair.

thanks babe, this is so true..a very good reason why I dont comb my hair but I can brush..very gently when I decide to brush.

IMFOCSD

I see most people so far have said blowdrying is most damaging. For my hair, it is not. I just see blowdrying as blowing air on your hair to dry it whether it's cool or hot.

And like Napp, I also do not see how infrequent washing is damaging to hair.

I put infrequent washing as an option because although you, napp or me has not experienced damage from not washing its probably someone who does experience some type of negative effect from lack of washing..after all what works/doesnt work for some may be a different case for others.

AlliCat

I just see blowdrying as blowing air on your hair to dry it whether it's cool or hot.

Blow drying was damaging for me personally because I was combing/brushing (ie. RIPPING) through my hair while doing it...plus the direct heat element wasn't helping..

-----

I voted flat ironing as the most damaging...no matter the technique the whole point of flat ironing is to basically scorch your hair...so ya it's pretty bad

EllePixie

All of them except for lack of deep conditioning. Infrequent washing can cause damage to hair due to build up, so moisture cannot reach the hair. How much though for each option depends on the person's hair, technique and frequency.

IMFOCSD

i see the things i mentioned help maintain healthy hair and keep it from getting damaged but i do not see how not doing so will damage the hair either. for example a condom will prevent a baby but not using a condom doesnt cause a baby. intercourse does.:look:

it just doesnt make sense to me

hello napp

I did state in one of my posts to speak from personal experience...so just because it doesnt make since to you does not mean it cant happen or it hasnt happened to someone else. the options listed in the poll are things that atleast one person can choose as something that has lead to damage in "their" hair. I cant really give an example because this poll is for everyones own personal experience...im sorry that this doesnt make since to you.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
All of them except for lack of deep conditioning. Infrequent washing can cause damage to hair due to build up, so moisture cannot reach the hair. How much though for each option depends on the person's hair, technique and frequency.

but then it really its because lack of moisture. although build up can slow down hair from getting moisturized it doesnt create a super protective barrier that causes no moisture to come in and out.so if the hair was still being moisturized it would not dry out and break.

it just doesnt make sense to me

hello napp

I did state in one of my posts to speak from personal experience...so just because it doesnt make since to you does not mean it cant happen or it hasnt happened to someone else. the options listed in the poll are things that atleast one person can choose as something that has lead to damage in "their" hair. I cant really give an example because this poll is for everyones own personal experience...im sorry that this doesnt make since to you.

ok. i'm open to the fact of it being a possibility but i would just like it to be explained. i dont see how that matters if its a personal experience or not if it has happened the person should be able to explain some how.... it doesnt even have to be detailed or anything.... it doesn't seem like i am going to get and answer so ill just leave it there.

EllePixie

but then it really its because lack of moisture. although build up can slow down hair from getting moisturized it doesnt create a super protective barrier that causes no moisture to come in and out.so if the hair was still being moisturized it would not dry out and break.
I disagree depending on what the product is...for me at least, mineral oil does something awful to my hair where nothing will penetrate it and I need to clarify more than once. Also, not washing hair will clog your pores, which will hinder growth. By washing I don't mean just no shampoo, I mean no nothing (cowashing, water rinsing, etc).

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I disagree depending on what the product is...for me at least, mineral oil does something awful to my hair where nothing will penetrate it and I need to clarify more than once. Also, not washing hair will clog your pores, which will hinder growth. By washing I don't mean just no shampoo, I mean no nothing (cowashing, water rinsing, etc).

so how does it damage your hair? are clogged pores damage to you? even so it would be more so to do with the scalp...

EllePixie

so how does it damage your hair? are clogged pores damage to you? even so it would be more so to do with the scalp...

Well that I didn't say clogging pores caused damage, I said it hinders growth. But the original point still stands. Nine times out of ten when people say their hair is dry/breaking/frizzy they report back that their hair started getting better when they clarify. Usually they are frequently using products with cones and/or mineral oil. Shrug.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Well that I didn't say clogging pores caused damage, I said it hinders growth. But the original point still stands. Nine times out of ten when people say their hair is dry/breaking/frizzy they report back that their hair started getting better when they clarify. Usually they are frequently using products with cones and/or mineral oil. Shrug.

well i thought you were trying to prove how infrequent washing causes damage...i am just going to drop it:look:

EllePixie

well i thought you were trying to prove how infrequent washing causes damage...i am just going to drop it:look:

I'm not trying to prove anything. IMO infrequent washing ultimately results in damage. You don't need to agree with me. :yep:

aquajoyice

I say Lack of Moisture since this can cause the hair to be brittle and weak. If you try to do any of the above on brittle dry hair there will be damage.

Missjae09

All options presented can cause damage as was mentioned, however, if your hair is properly cared for you can still retain length while doing a few of the things mentioned but I don't think there is a way to retain length is your hair is really dry and you don't take steps to moisturize it.

Poohbear

Now I can see the bolded above as a reason that infrequent washing can cause damage, especially if you use a lot of products and just let it pile up on your hair. I'm thinking of those products that leave those tiny little white balls in your hair. I think as the strands rub together, they'll raise the cuticle and cause splits along the shaft or even tangles with shedded hairs or other hair strands.

But I, as an infrequent washer, do not let my hair buildup with product like that.

QueenFee

For me all of the above....lack of moisture + too much heat breakage, brushing with this hard bristle brush ripped the from of my hair out after a while...combing ripping out my hair and edges....I think I might get a weave or. Something because I'm not really sure what to do next.