Relaxing in Sections

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about. By sections, I mean relax one half of head or section, smooth, rinse, pat dry, clip and proceed to the other half or section(s) and repeat procedure, then neutralize whole head all together?

Isn't the first half/or section still processing while you are applying relaxer to the other half? I guess what I'm asking is this: How important is it to get the neutralizing shampoo on the hair after rinsing the relaxer out? Can it actually wait until you have completed the application of the relaxer?

I always thought you had to immediately start neutralizing after rinsing. Example: relax, smooth, rinse, neutralize, one section/half, then relax, smooth, rinse, neutralize, each section(s)/other half

This was my dilemma with relaxing in sections. If it is not urgent to neutralize, my plan would be to relax the top half, rinse in the sink or tub. Relax the bottom half and rinse in the shower. Then neutralize the whole head. I kinda tried to do it this way, but I was rushing to neutralize and came out underprocess big time.

I appreciate your help!

~op~

foxybronx

I don’t self relax, so I probably won’t be able to give you any good advice.

I know that with the affirm and mizani system, before the use of a neutralizing shampoo is the application their 5 n 1 conditioner which lowers the ph of the hair and conditions the hair while your cuticles are still open. After you rinse out the conditioner, then you use the neutralizing shampoo. So if I relaxed in sections I would relax, smooth, rinse, apply the 5n1 conditioner (you hair won’t keep relaxing b/c the conditioner is neutralizing).. until the whole head is finished then I would neutralize. Does your relaxing system advocate conditioner before the shampoo?

model_chick717

I texturize in two sections--front and back, and I neutralize the first section--then neutralize again my whole head after I've rinsed the second section. But since I'm texturized, I have to be a little more precise with the processing time. Since you are talking about fully relaxed hair, I don't think you'd necessarily have to neutralize each section when done--unless your scalp is irritated. I think the hair is processing at a really slow rate after being rinsed---don't think it would be that big of deal with fully relaxed hair.

HTH!

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
You're a smart cookie Foxy. :up:

That's right! I'm not used to relaxing/ conditioning/neutralizing........I completely forgot about the conditioner!

Yes, my Motions Oil Moisture Relaxer calls for the Silk Protein conditioner before the neutralizing shampoo. That makes perfect sense....

I hope someone who's interested in self-relaxing is reading this.....

Thank God for LHCF!

HHG-

~op~

SouthernGirl

Hi OnePraying,

I'm glad Foxy posted that! With the Vitale system, there is also a conditioner (Positive Conditioner) that you use prior to the neutralizing shampoo.

Sounds like you're okay now!!

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
SouthernGirl said:
Hi OnePraying,

I'm glad Foxy posted that! With the Vitale system, there is also a conditioner (Positive Conditioner) that you use prior to the neutralizing shampoo.

Sounds like you're okay now!!

Don't I know it! That was the missing link. I just had to get to the bottom of what went wrong and then correct it. It's the detective in me dying to get out. Or maybe a detective book...hmmmmm.....

~op~

Faith

I do it pretty much like you said except I neutralize each section BEFORE moving on then I neutralize again all together. HTH :)

Isis

Faith said:
I do it pretty much like you said except I neutralize each section BEFORE moving on then I neutralize again all together. HTH :)
Same here. This way I know all of my hair is well neutralized.

Porsche19

When I finsh one side I rinse, apply the conditioner, rinse that out, lather up with the netrualzing poo and rinse, then lather up and leave it in while I texturize/relax the rest of my hair.

After that's relaxed/texturized, I apply the conditioner to all of my hair and lather up and leave the poo in for 5 minutes 3 times.

I'm anal about overprocessing.

*note, I use the relax-condition-neutralize kind of relaxer systems

PerfectDoak, this is embarrassing, but it's what I do soo...

I cut out plastic from a shopping bag so that it's like a 3 inch ribbon and tie it around the back section, so that while I'm rinsing the front section the water doesn't splash on it. It's sorta like a plastic head tie, but in the middle of my head. I also rinse very carefully. Maybe a few drops get on the hair, but it doesn't make a difference.

RainbowCurls

Good idea Porshe.
Relaxing in sections would really help me get a less crappy result (am always rushing and missing bits, getting relaxer all over already relaxed hair... etc)

SNyeema

Hey Perfect I loved your photo's and that site that you used. I think I may have to check that out when I start my hair journal.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
That plastic cover IS a good idea Porshe19. However, I couldn't figure out how to cover mine like that. You're description sounds more defined then the one I read some months back....

Believe me I was terrified! :eek: So, I prayed..... and just used a shower hose and pressed it close to my scalp and made small circular motions.. Prayed some more....then I used my finger as a guide not to go past that line into the next section. I rinsed, check with my mirror, rinsed again, checked, and then slathered on the conditioner. The conditioner actually hinders the processing. So if some WAS left on, it was drenched in Conditioner until the Neutralizing poo took it completely out. (sounds like a Mafia hit huh?)

~op~