What Length of Fake Hair is just TOO Long to You?

What length of fake hair is considered to long?

• BSL+ weave/wig is too long (real hair is shorter)

Votes: 76 19.7%
  • Nothing wrong with a long BSL+ weave/wig (no matter real hair length)

Votes: 126 32.7%
  • BSL+ weave/wig is ok (real hair is same length)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • I don't wear weaves

Votes: 143 37.1%

• Total voters
I think that as long as it looks tasteful and real you can go to BSL or MB, even if you own hair was that long most people would think it was a weave so....I say get it, I love a nice full weave and even if it is long it can look real. I have done it many of times and no one could tell...I think butt length would be alittle outragious though...lol

I think it depends on the person's hieght. I'm short so I just wouldn't look right with no weave to my bootay cheeks. Mid back length is the longest for me. (and that's pushing it!) A taller person can pull off a longer do. As long as the weave is cute and looks believable its all good!

I think it depends on the person's hieght. I'm short so I just wouldn't look right with no weave to my bootay cheeks. Mid back length is the longest for me. (and that's pushing it!) A taller person can pull off a longer do. As long as the weave is cute and looks believable its all good!

Thanks you guys! I'm 5'9" and was thinking of getting one a couple inches past BSL. I think I'm gonna go for it!

i had a weave once in my life and it was ...16 inches (MBL)
it was HOT i luved it... even tho i would never do it again
thats the longest

Last edited:
Shoot if i am sewing in tracks then they are gonna be long. Imean for the most part, my firends already know that it is weave. I usually get 14-16 inches which falls to my natural waist. I like having longer weaves but the 18/20 are pricey in the hair grade

I like to wear braids between 16 and 18 inches. The day ill be happy to rock a booty lenght hair its with my real hair. I dont know why but I keep on having the imagine if someone comes up to you like wooooooooow your hair is gorgeous and I would have to say thank you but its a weave :S aww hells no. Which is why I like braids because U KNOW ITS FAKE...I keep them neat .. but people are still clueless about the lenght of my hair especially that my hair in the front does not reflect my overall lenght :) I dont like to show my hair too much which is why I keep it in a bun 24/7 or braided. If I had to get a weave Id be keeping it short just for maintenance purposes and try that Rihanna do.

I mean, honestly I feel like if my real hair is that length and I am using it as a protective style then it is not to long. My hair is BSL and my wig is MBL which is only about two inches longer and I feel it is appropriate and would wear a lf or weave like this cause' it is realistic to my natural length.

At the end of the day though, even if my hair wasn't BSL I'd rock whatever I felt like and think others should do the same.

Hey, what do you mean "short?" I'm 5'3 and want WL hair.

I have gone BSL, but the only reason I haven't gone longer is because I usually do weave to put my hair away. If I have to put a lot of effort into styling a long weave I might as well wear my own.

I do think that longer hair looks great on me overall, but I also know that I have to have some sort of layers or wave. I can not do long and straight since I have a round face.

Last edited:
Shoot if i am sewing in tracks then they are gonna be long. Imean for the most part, my firends already know that it is weave. I usually get 14-16 inches which falls to my natural waist. I like having longer weaves but the 18/20 are pricey in the hair grade

Cosign!!!!!!!

I'm currently wearing a weave and it's 10"... it's a little past apl.... I've worn 12" before and it was about bsl.... both looked good on me. If I ever go longer it will be 14" and nothing longer than that.

this below was 12"
PIC0289-vi.jpg

Thanks girl! I think I'll go for BSL with my next weave. Are you doing it yourself? Sounds like it will be really cute.

I'm thinking of getting it straight with a middle part and long layers throughout. My only problem is that I hate having to use heat to blend when I leave hair out, but I'm kinda tired of the full head weave with everything braided.

Yup, I'm gonna do it myself (thanks to your links a while back), and i agree with you 110% (matta fact 200%) on when u said u want to leave your real hair out (i love that kind of weave-looks so much more natural), but i just don't want to keep using heat to blend it in, so i gotta suck up these full head weaves for a little bit. :nono: girl these protective styles can be complicated. LOL. oh well, maybe once in a blue moon, I'd get the weave with my hair out, but not now. I promise to put up pics of the one i'm bout to put in this weekend!!

i say if you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly :grin:

but seriously i think it is up to each person to stay within their comfort level. i've always looked at hair as an accessory, so whether or not someone thought it was my real hair or not never really mattered. the best weaves i've ever had are from stylists that were also great w/ scissors...able to go in and thin out the hair and give a great cut so that it doesn't just look like a lion's mane(which has also happened to me and was horrible :blush:).

to answer the question though, the longest i usually wear is 22". the only reason i'm not in 26" or longer is that i'm too short and would look like Lady Godiva :lachen:

I wear fake hair down to my butt all the time, and don't think anything of it. I've been wearing my hair this way for years and most people think it's my own. Not sure why but no one has scrutinized it/said something about it being fake... must be where I live.

ah, for weaves or wigs. when you first said fake hair i was also going to include braids. i can get with longer for braids than other type of fake hair (though i don't wear other types of fake hair). it's all about the amount of "fronting" for me. braids are not like weaves. everyone knows braids are fake, but weaves are only good if you can make it look like your real hair. therefore the more weave hair you add, the more fronting you do. for weaves and wigs, i'd say generally no more than a few inches more than your actual length. eta: hope i'm not offending people, jmo!

I've stopped with the weaves and the braids but when I wore them I had braids up to TBL and they looked good. I mean everyone knew they were fake though. With weaves, I think I went up to WL and people used to think they were real but then again the person who did my weaves was really really good:lachen:.

It depends on why you are wearing the weave. As long as it looks good, who cares. Trying to pass your weave off as real is a slippery slope because you can start to become identified with the fake hair like it is really yours. It is very liberating to be able to say, yes, this is fake but I look good in it!!! I wore weaves for over a year and I went through a phase where i was mortified if people thoght it was not mine so I know.

My hair is Neck/SL and 12" inches is the longest I would go. I prefer installs that are closer to my real length or I feel self conscious. I think I will increase the length of the weaves as my hair gets longer.

I thought long weaves were damaging.:nono: I don't wear weaves, so I wouldn't know. I always felt that if you want it, you brought it, who cares what anyone else thinks?:rolleyes: Personally, the longest I would ever go is SL because you'd have to care for it and your hair underneath.

My hair is now SL. I prefer my weave, no matter my hair length, to be no longer than 12-16 inches.

It sounds weird, I know, but the longer the weave the more fake it looks to me. When I wear a short weave even if it's 16 inches most people always think its my hair.

I agree.

Also I see some weaves that are just too full. It looks way too fake.

ladies i have a question :drunk:

when you wash your sew ins.. how important is it to make sure you dry your braids under neath the weave? do you guys always dry your braids. or do you let them airdry along with your hair...?

and if you dont dry them.. have you gotten any bad results? .. i use to always make it a mission to blow dry my braids underneath the hair.. but due to living in somesones house in spain, im trying not to use such powerful energy.

is anything goin to happen to my braided hair if i dont blow dry it? (i.e. mildew, buildup...)

thanks in advance,
*td:grin:

When I wore weaves I wore them long as hell. I figured what the hell ;)

l_d9aad1db6321f7b30d498a3cae8a9cc9.jpg

me with extensions 17 inches I believe, they were in for about a month thats why the ends are scraggly and shiz. I would buy the longest they had at the bss. When I was still in highschool (5 yrs ago) the longest I wore was 20 inches but that was me trippin. I got waay to much attention especially creepy older business guys around town

I would wear a waist length weave in a second. Thats just me. People will think its fake but its not about looking "real" or not. For me, its about having fun with a different look and looking super sexy and exotic.

I have had 2 sew in weaves, the last of which was 4 years ago. I generally do not wear weave. When I did it did not get too much longer than BSL.

ladies i have a question :drunk:

when you wash your sew ins.. how important is it to make sure you dry your braids under neath the weave? do you guys always dry your braids. or do you let them airdry along with your hair...?

and if you dont dry them.. have you gotten any bad results? .. i use to always make it a mission to blow dry my braids underneath the hair.. but due to living in somesones house in spain, im trying not to use such powerful energy.

is anything goin to happen to my braided hair if i dont blow dry it? (i.e. mildew, buildup...)

thanks in advance,
*td:grin:

You have to make sure that it dried underneath the weave. If not, depending on how long you plan to wear the weave and how regular you wash, your hair might be a tangled, matted mess when you take it out.

Back