10 "Funny" Obersvations About Fake Hair

Poetrygirl

So yesterday I went to buy a half cap wig, I guess they’re called falls. My husband thought it looked better than the wig because it looked "real". I liked it as well so I wore it out to the Comedy Explosion here in Cincinnati. While in the rest room washing my hands I noticed another woman staring @ my hair/wig, which ever you prefer, so I turned around and said yes it’s fake. The look on her face , I could have died. She said, “I was wondering but did not want to be rude and ask.” As if staring extremely hard was not rude. I am always self conscious when I wear fake hair because I feel like people are staring at me questioning whether or not it is real. I like to wear hair that looks real and do not like it when a weave looks fake (even though it is fake), but is that a crime?
After last night, I created 10 Questions about fake hair. This is an observation from last night, while talking to other women, being talked about (which happened a lot. I even had some girl tell another girl she wanted to pull on it to see if it would come off) or listening to the conversations in the ladies rooms. It's almost as if some women think that because a black woman has long hair, it has to be fake. I have a co-worker who has beautiful long hair and people question if it is real all the time, as if it is any of their business. I now love wigs (quick way to change up your look), weaves and braids and will continue to wear them all (especially for my challenges), these are just my funny observations. Please add to the list if you have any.

1. Why do women with short weaves wonder if “it is real” when they see a woman wearing a long weave?
2. Why do women who wear braids think that they are not wearing weaves. It’s not your hair. This girl last night had micro braids down to her butt, but had the nerve to say that I was being fake. We both where wearing fake hair :lol:
3. Why do women who wear sew-ins look at quick weaves as being ghetto Is there that much of a difference? One is glued in, one is sewn in, but it's all weave.
4. Why do women who wear braids/kinky twist get labeled as “Afro-centric” while women who wear long silky weaves/wigs get labeled as a “wanna-be?”
5. Why is it that if you wear a wig/weave or braids your intentions are trying to be someone you are not. It couldn’t just be that we are trying to take the stress off our hair with protective styles.
6. Why do some women considered wigs as being old fashioned?
7. Why do women wear fake hair that actually looks fake, i.e., tracks showing, glue along the hair line, wig hanging half-way off their head so you an see the start of the wig if it is a half cap, texture or color of weave does not match that of their own?
8. Why do most men hate fake hair on their significant other but drool over celebrities who wear fake hair? :confused:
9. Why don’t people think that white women or women of other races wear weaves?
10. Why did I sit and think about all these things last night, am I becoming hair obsessed?

Last edited:

JuicesN'Berries

:lol: :lol: :lol: Too funny! Ok I got another one why don't some people with weaves or braids know when to take it or them out!!!

You can't ride everything to the wheels fall off!!!:lachen:

Speaking of taking things out...... It is past due for me to take my braids out but I think I will wait until after finals!!!

Am I hypocrite?????:grin:

glamazon386

Poetrygirl said:

2. Why do women who wear braids think that they are not wearing weaves. It’s not your hair. This girl last night had micro braids down to her butt, but had the nerve to say that I was being fake. We both where wearing fake hair :lol:

I don't get this either. It's all fake hair attached to yours either way you look at it. That's what I tell men when they say they don't like weave but like braids.

gloomgeisha

1. Why do women with short weaves wonder if “it is real” when they see a woman wearing a long weave?

Because in their minds at least they're "keeping it real" by keeping it short

Because they think, "at least my ish is OBVIOUSLY fake", while you're trying to hide that fact.
3. Why do women who wear sew-ins look at quick weaves as being ghetto Is there that much of a difference? One is glued in, one is sewn in, but it's all weave.

In their minds, at least they could afford the glue/needle and thread
4. Why do women who wear braids/kinky twist get labeled as “Afro-centric” while women who wear long silky weaves/wigs get labeled as a “wanna-be?”

Because the people who do this are idiots and should be spayed/neutered
5. Why is it that if you wear a wig/weave or braids your intentions are trying to be someone you are not. It couldn’t just be that we are trying to take the stress off our hair with protective styles.
See above

I don't know, I've seen some pretty old fashioned wigs. LOL!
7. Why do women wear fake hair that actually looks fake, i.e., tracks showing, glue along the hair line, wig hanging half-way off their head so you an see the start of the wig if it is a half cap, texture or color of weave does not match that of their own?
Probably self-application. Remember what happened when Tyra put on her own lace front? There was glue everywhere!
8. Why do most men hate fake hair on their significant other but drool over celebrities who wear fake hair? :confused:

They'll never get to touch those celebrities. Trust me, they'll hurl when they realize that she has more animal on her head than on her fur coat.

Stereotyping
10. Why did I sit and think about all these things last night, am I becoming hair obsessed?

LHCF does that to everbody. It should be listed as a potential side effect, next to "constant deep conditioning", and "checking strands of fallen hair for bulbs".

InquiringMind

Poetrygirl said:

I ponder over this question too. Me and my guy friends sometimes have random arguments about female celebrities. They'll say "That girl is soo fine!" and I'll argue about some part of them being fake (not that I'm hating because I do give props where they are due). I'm sure that any person with decent looks can look like a celebrity with the right professional hair and make-up

BrooklynSouth

Poetrygirl said:
So yesterday I went to buy a half cap wig, I guess they’re called falls. My husband thought it looked better than the wig because it looked "real". I liked it as well so I wore it out to the Comedy Explosion here in Cincinnati. While in the rest room washing my hands I noticed another woman staring @ my hair/wig, which ever you prefer, so I turned around and said yes it’s fake. The look on her face , I could have died. She said, “I was wondering but did not want to be rude and ask.” As if staring extremely hard was not rude. I am always self conscious when I wear fake hair because I feel like people are staring at me questioning whether or not it is real. I like to wear hair that looks real and do not like it when a weave looks fake (even though it is fake), but is that a crime?
After last night, I created 10 Questions about fake hair. This is an observation from last night, while talking to other women, being talked about (which happened a lot. I even had some girl tell another girl she wanted to pull on it to see if it would come off) or listening to the conversations in the ladies rooms. It's almost as if some women think that because a black woman has long hair, it has to be fake. I have a co-worker who has beautiful long hair and people question if it is real all the time, as if it is any of their business. I now love wigs (quick way to change up your look), weaves and braids and will continue to wear them all (especially for my challenges), these are just my funny observations. Please add to the list if you have any.

Poetrygirl, just do you and screw the rest, wear your wigs to protect your hair! Prior to LHCF I made the ass-umption that all wig and weave wearers had no hair of their own to offer. I know now that some women simply wear them as protective styling..the only concern I have now when I see it is.."Is she taking care of her real hair under there:confused: ? I hope so" Once I found the Lace Flair pony and learned how protective, beautiful and easy it is for my hair health I began to sympathize more and sneer a little less.

frostydoll

Poetrygirl said:

2. Why do women who wear braids think that they are not wearing weaves.
It’s not your hair. This girl last night had micro braids down to her butt, but had the nerve to say that I was being fake. We both where wearing fake hair :lol:

The bolded ones are my favorites and so true. I'll admit that I prefer braids to weave but that's mainly cuz I suck at styling my own hair and braids just make it easy for me.

BlkOnyx488

I think it's because everyone knows braids are not their real hair. Weaves good weaves look real. but I always tell people there are a bunch of bald horses running around VA to make me look beautiful.:grin:

CAPlush

Poetrygirl said:

OMG, I was in the mall just yesterday, and I spotted more White ladies with phony ponies than Black. I think it is harder for them to match colors and textures than it is even for us.

Sha76

CAPlush said:
OMG, I was in the mall just yesterday, and I spotted more White ladies with phony ponies than Black. I think it is harder for them to match colors and textures than it is even for us.
Amen to that... Even on TV you see bad color matching on white girl. Plus, bad blending.

This is hilarious

LHCF does that to everbody. It should be listed as a potential side effect, next to "constant deep conditioning", and "checking strands of fallen hair for bulbs".

Oh My Goodness! This is sooo true! I find myself doing this all the time

sowhut

OOOOHHHH Thank you! That ish pisses me off!!!

preciousjewel76

gloomgeisha said:

Great post overall, and this part is especially true.:lachen: :lachen: Just this morning I was checking some hairs that fell into the bathroom sink for bulbs. *SMH*

sunnydaze

Why do people assume that if someone has relatively smooth or wavy roots (think 3a/b/c) then their hair is definitely real, even if it is hanging yakily down their back.

My sister and I have gotten away with murder (wig/ponytail wise) primarily because our roots lay down smooth.:lachen:

preciousjewel76

sunnydaze said:
Why do people assume that if someone has relatively smooth or wavy roots (think 3a/b/c) then their hair is definitely real, even if it is hanging yakily down their back.

My sister and I have gotten away with murder (wig/ponytail wise) primarily because our roots lay down smooth.:lachen:

LOL @ "yakily":lol: :lachen:

Bosslady1

gloomgeisha said:

Because in their minds at least they're "keeping it real" by keeping it short

Because they think, "at least my ish is OBVIOUSLY fake", while you're trying to hide that fact.

In their minds, at least they could afford the glue/needle and thread

Because the people who do this are idiots and should be spayed/neutered
See above

I don't know, I've seen some pretty old fashioned wigs. LOL!
Probably self-application. Remember what happened when Tyra put on her own lace front? There was glue everywhere!

They'll never get to touch those celebrities. Trust me, they'll hurl when they realize that she has more animal on her head than on her fur coat.

Stereotyping

lmaoooo:lol: :lachen:

Poetrygirl

Re: 10 "Funny" Observations About Fake Hair

gloomgeisha said:

I agree to this statement to a certain degree and I wouldn't say I was hiding it, if asked I'd tell them it was fake, no problem admitting when my ish is fake, but I understand what you are saying she did not know where with braids it is easy to tell. I just think it is rude for someone to ask you if your hair is real but even more rude to stare and ponder if it is real and then have the nerve talk about you as you are leaving the rest room, if you must know I'd just prefer you'd asked, please don't stare me down or disrespect me by calling me fake, that is un-called for. To me women tend to be too catty and we sometimes do not give props where props are due. It's all fake, it's all weave, who cares. :confused: All I know is that it looked real enough for someone to think it was mine and for that alone I think I did a good job. We need to congratulate instead of playa hate when we see a woman rocking a pretty head of hair weave or real.

I do have some questions though:

1. When wearing a wig do you have to wear a wig cap, if so which kind is the best?
2. What’s with the checking the fallen out hair for bulbs and is it bad to have hair with bulbs that have fallen out rather than hair without?

Last edited:

shynessqueen

JuicesN'Berries said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Too funny! Ok I got another one why don't some people with weaves or braids know when to take it or them out!!!

Speaking of taking things out...... It is past due for me to take my braids out but I think I will wait until after finals!!!

Does that question really need to be answered.:grin:

Cincysweetie

Re: 10 "Funny" Observations About Fake Hair

Poetrygirl said:
I agree to this statement to a certain degree and I wouldn't say I was hiding it, if asked I'd tell them it was fake, no problem admitting when my ish is fake, but I understand what you are saying she did not know where with braids it is easy to tell. I just think it is rude for someone to ask you if your hair is real but even more rude to stare and ponder if it is real and then have the nerve talk about you as you are leaving the rest room, if you must know I'd just prefer you'd asked, please don't stare me down or disrespect me by calling me fake, that is un-called for. To me women tend to be too catty and we sometimes do not give props where props are due. It's all fake, it's all weave, who cares. :confused: All I know is that it looked real enough for someone to think it was mine and for that alone I think I did a good job. We need to congratulate instead of playa hate when we see a woman rocking a pretty head of hair weave or real.

I do have some questions though:

1. When wearing a wig do you have to wear a wig cap, if so which kind is the best?
2. What’s with the checking the fallen out hair for bulbs and is it bad to have hair with bulbs that have fallen out rather than hair without?
Bulb = Hair shedding (not bad unless of course you have a TON shedding...as in your hair is falling out)

No bulb = Breakage.

tricie

Gloomgeisha,

You so hit the nail on the head! Too funny and too true!

Cute post, Poetrygirl!

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

mswoman

OMGosh!!! This is too funny..... I was reading a book because I want to be a professional MM called Become Your Own Matchmaker: 8 Easy Steps for Attracting Your Perfect Mate by Patti Stanger

She says that every woman needs to get extensions because men love women with long hair. Weather you keep them or not is up to you... but at the first impression men are really attracted to women with longer hair.

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
OMGosh!!! This is too funny..... I was reading a book because I want to be a professional MM called Become Your Own Matchmaker: 8 Easy Steps for Attracting Your Perfect Mate by Patti Stanger

She says that every woman needs to get extensions because men love women with long hair. Weather you keep them or not is up to you... but at the first impression men are really attracted to women with longer hair.

:barf:

Can every man get a six pack then?

GreenD

LOL, this is a funny thread. Call me stupid, but when people compliment, bring up and/or say anything regarding "my hair", I tell them with the quickness it's a wig!!! Although as of lately most people don't believe me until I show them the bump of my half wig. It's almost like they're in amazement. They look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them my hair is short, but if they only knew what lies beneath!! ;)

I figured this way I'd beat them to asking me about how I do my hair, what I put in it, etc. It's a half wig from the BSS for $25!!! ;)

Aviah

Girl... I see that TOO much where I am.