What Do Men Have Against FAKE HAIR???

glamazon386

I think some of them have been traumatized by so many bad weaves walking around that they don't know what to think. The majority of them don't know weave when they see it anyway unless its very obvious. None of the men I've dated have ever had a problem with my weaves. As long as it looked nice it didn't matter. In fact, I've had a few go on about how much they hated weaves and then when I told them my hair was fake they gave me a series of these faces :eek: :confused:. They didn't believe me at first. Especially with that curly hair I usually wear. My own brother who saw me walking around while maintaining my hair on the weekends had the nerve to ask me was that all my hair. All I could do was :laugh:.

Last edited:

Extremus

Personally I feel the same way. I don't like fake anything. I dón't wear fake nails. I've never worn a weave. I don't wear make up. I did go buy a wig and a phony pony but I still havén't gotten up the nerve to wear them because they are fake. They do match my hair color and texture almost to a T so don't worry about other people knowing its fake but I would know and that bothers me.

I know that sounds weird doesn't it. :blush:

It's not weird at all, I'm like this except I have to have my nails tho :yep: and my make-up can't make me look different, if that makes sense. :ohwell:

joemerald

I seldom post but I just had to jump in this one. I don't know why men do not like fake hair. They have no problem with fake boobs though. So fake is not the issue. I am wearing a half wig since it got cold and am thinking about getting a curly full one to really protect my hair. Since it is close to my hair it is difficult to tell but if my husband knew he will not be too happy and drop remarks. If I said hey hun I am going to get some fake boobs next week he will be like whoopee and turning summersaults.

gabulldawg

I think some of them have been traumatized by so many bad weaves walking around that they don't know what to think. The majority of them don't know weave when they see it anyway unless its very obvious. None of the men I've dated have ever had a problem with my weaves. As long as it looked nice it didn't matter. In fact, I've had a few go on about how much they hated weaves and then when I told them my hair was fake they gave me a series of these faces :eek: :confused:. They didn't believe me at first. Especially with that curly hair I usually wear. My own brother who saw me walking around while maintaining my hair on the weekends had the nerve to ask me was that all my hair. All I could do was :laugh:.

I definitely agree with this! I know for a fact my SO used to date some HOOOOOOOOOD girls who did their own weaves (and knew nothing about LHCF, so they looked jacked up), so I think that's the idea he gets in his head whenever I say I want to get a weave. But then, he should know me by now and know the type of girl that I am and I won't just have any and everything on my head!!

But all of you ladies bring up great points! The toupee thing really made me think. But usually men and women don't wear fake hair for the same reasons (with the exception of the entertainment industry, of course). Usually men get fake hair when they are balding or something similar to that. Us women usually just get fake hair for a change of scenery, or a break from our own real hair. I guess we will just have to come to some sort of happy medium. :ohwell: But I tell you, men are some funny creatures!

Energist

I think that men like to feel like they can run their fingers through your hair. Long long time ago back in early 90's I wore a half wig, because I liked to change hairstyles very often.

Well I went out with this guy and when we were dating he used to admire my hair (wore this particular half wig a lot back then...lol) and well I didn't tell him it wasn't mine, cause he didn't ask :grin: Anyways, we were watching tv one day in very close proximity of one another and he all of a sudden put his arm around me and reached up into my head to massage it :( I cringed, but then he got startled and said "and all this time I thought it was yours :nono: He acted like it didn't bother him that much, but then he said "what does your hair look like? I wonder what our childs hair would look like then?" This caught me all off guard, because we hadn't been dating long, but I could see that he felt like I had deceived him. I think men have problems with the fantasy of that woman :ohwell: or feeling afraid to get too close not really knowing what is real or fake about them until it's too late. Something fake I think kills the mood for them sometimes. So I think this goes beyond hair, but I know that because Black men have more of a weakness for pretty hair, that happens to be major with them! It's like "why you teasin' me girl."

locabouthair

I don't know but my friend and a guy I'm dtaign both hate fake hair. When I told them I didn't like weaves one of them game me a hug. lol.

laCriolla

I seldom post but I just had to jump in this one. I don't know why men do not like fake hair. They have no problem with fake boobs though. So fake is not the issue. I am wearing a half wig since it got cold and am thinking about getting a curly full one to really protect my hair. Since it is close to my hair it is difficult to tell but if my husband knew he will not be too happy and drop remarks. If I said hey hun I am going to get some fake boobs next week he will be like whoopee and turning summersaults.

i beg to differ

they LIKE fake hair until the find out it is fake. then they're mad.

they LIKE fake boobs until they find out they are fake, too.

meaning,

they like the way fake hair AND boobs look..... but most men have had experience touching fake hair so they know they don't like that.
whereas, many everyday guys haven't touched fake breasts- unless the live in an area of the country w/a high silicone count

I heard a guy rant about how he was excited about a woman's breasts and didn't care they were fake until he was *with* her. he said there was a permanent 4" barrier between them- they couldn't get close. he also said they felt different and now he hates them.

similar to hair, for whatever reason men can't always tell when he's looking at a purchased chest. Unless the job is realllllly bad. I think it's b/c they don't pay attention to detail. they kind of look at silhouettes of women. notice- you'll get more attention if you wear something form fitting**, than say, an empire waist dress, which makes your shape less "womanly"- less coke bottle. **form fitting/accentuates a waistline not skanky** hair and boobs help fill out that ideal shape they drool over- whether fake or not.

think of any celb with a conservative boob job that WE know had her boobs done. does your man? doubt it. he'll tell you she didn't. I don't want to keep using B as an example. I'll give her the day off.

so yeah, any man will cheer when he thinks you're going to "throw some Ds on it" but when he experiences the Ds- that's another matter.

btw, this goes for makeup too. they ALL say "i love the natural look, you don't need to wear makeup" (meaning they don't like a lot of makeup) but honestly only a select few men know when a woman is wearing makeup unless he sees you put it on. (think about those celebrity running through the airport pics- they'll say they aren't wearing makeup. b.s!)

all in all it's a part of a woman's mystique. the grand illusion. they don't need to know. imho

Last edited:

prospurr4

My DH does not want anything on my body to be fake. :nono: It's like the whole idea just "grosses him out." He wants to be able to see and feel the real deal! This is not a problem for me, though, because I do prefer to wear my real nails, hair, etc. He really doesn't understand WHY a woman with long hair (SL or longer) would wear a wig.

DH doesn't mind makeup though...as long as he can still recognize me, then he's good.:lol:

gabulldawg

My DH does not want anything on my body to be fake. :nono: It's like the whole idea just "grosses him out." He wants to be able to see and feel the real deal! This is not a problem for me, though, because I do prefer to wear my real nails, hair, etc. He really doesn't understand WHY a woman with long hair (SL or longer) would wear a wig.

DH doesn't mind makeup though...as long as he can still recognize me, then he's good.:lol:

Haha, yea I get that alot. My So's always like, "Why do you need fake hair? Your hair's long."

Softresses

I think that when men see other women with the long lovely wigs or weaves and all prettied up, it creates a special illusion of beauty for them. It is like a "perfect," vision of a woman. With thier own woman at home it is not really the fantasy version, even if the wig/weave, make-up, implants or whatever are the same, they see you everyday without it so it just seems fake.

When you tell a man that the woman he is admiring for her pretty hair has a weave, it usually will annoy them a little, because it spoils their perfect illusion.:lachen:

Softresses

Last edited:

Te'TahHead

yeah okay... they don't seem to mind when we wear false eyelashes, acrylic nails and paint up our faces with make-up. and i don't see them following suit (okay, so a few trannies are) :lachen:

Well, my man does. He HATES anything "fake". He HATES fake nails, make up AND definitely weave. I always try and reiterate to him that I wasn't born relaxed, with moisterized skin, smelling like soap and flowers, with fresh breath. Even everyday grooming can be looked upon as "fake" because no one was born with what we see as "natural" beauty. Hell, my eyebrows aren't naturally arched.

I feel that is it very important to still be attractive to him (and he vice versa) so I don't do phony ponies, acrylics (I think they are gross anyway) and makeup (I feel I look fine without it).

Softresses

Well, my man does. He HATES anything "fake". He HATES fake nails, make up AND definitely weave. I always try and reiterate to him that I wasn't born relaxed, with moisterized skin, smelling like soap and flowers, with fresh breath. Even everyday grooming can be looked upon as "fake" because no one was born with what we see as "natural" beauty. Hell, my eyebrows aren't naturally arched.

I feel that is it very important to still be attractive to him (and he vice versa) so I don't do phony ponies, acrylics (I think they are gross anyway) and makeup (I feel I look fine without it).

...and what, so you can't give up waxing your underarms? clipping your toenails? COME ON! The man likes you natural!:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Softresses

littlefastcar

i beg to differ

meaning,

they like the way fake hair AND boobs look..... but most men have had experience touching fake hair so they know they don't like that.
whereas, many everyday guys haven't touched fake breasts- unless the live in an area of the country w/a high silicone count

I heard a guy rant about how he was excited about a woman's breasts and didn't care they were fake until he was *with* her. he said there was a permanent 4" barrier between them- they couldn't get close. he also said they felt different and now he hates them.

similar to hair, for whatever reason men can't always tell when he's looking at a purchased chest. Unless the job is realllllly bad. I think it's b/c they don't pay attention to detail. they kind of look at silhouettes of women. notice- you'll get more attention if you wear something form fitting**, than say, an empire waist dress, which makes your shape less "womanly"- less coke bottle. **form fitting/accentuates a waistline not skanky** hair and boobs help fill out that ideal shape they drool over- whether fake or not.

think of any celb with a conservative boob job that WE know had her boobs done. does your man? doubt it. he'll tell you she didn't. I don't want to keep using B as an example. I'll give her the day off.

so yeah, any man will cheer when he thinks you're going to "throw some Ds on it" but when he experiences the Ds- that's another matter.

btw, this goes for makeup too. they ALL say "i love the natural look, you don't need to wear makeup" (meaning they don't like a lot of makeup) but honestly only a select few men know when a woman is wearing makeup unless he sees you put it on. (think about those celebrity running through the airport pics- they'll say they aren't wearing makeup. b.s!)

all in all it's a part of a woman's mystique. the grand illusion. they don't need to know. imho

laCriolla,

I think you hit the nail on the head, especially the way you related the way men look at hair to the way men look at makeup...it's the IMAGE they love, but they don't want to know the PROCESS:look:. And I agree, they don't need to know!!

Example: I have a male friend who has said to me, more than once: "One thing that I love about you is that your skin is always glowing."
I just smile and thank him, but in my head I'm thinking: "honey, thats bronzer, highlighter, AND 2 different colors of blush!":rolleyes:

ThickHair

Then I go see my man and he's so against my wig. I made a comment about being ready to get home so that I could take this wig off (because my head gets itchy and hot), and he was like, "You need to take it off and burn it!" Ouch!
In this instance you brought it up. I doubt he wouldn't comment if you didn't bring it up.

glamazon386

i beg to differ

meaning,

I agree with this whole post!! It's funny though because one of my guy friends who was very anti weave (after he expressed that he loved my curly hair which was weave :rolleyes:) is oblivious to fake hair if it isn't the obvious long straight weave. Oh yeah and he loves braids and not wave. That's a whole other convo in itself.

Like for instance one night he called and asked if I wanted to tag along with him to a party and he came and picked me up. I washed my hair real quick and slicked it back and put my phony pony puff on it. He was like so I finally get to see your natural hair out huh? He knew my hair was natural but every time I saw him I had weave or a wig (he didn't know they were wigs). I was like yeah. He was like I really like it. I wish more girls would wear their natural hair. And he kept touching it. He took me to a party with him that night and another guy I know was there (I used to do promo stuff for his events) and every time I walked by he kept touching my hair all night and I was like STOP IT!!! :mad: It was the first time he had seen me with natural hair too.

So when he took me home later on that night this fool kept caressing the little curls on my ponytail and pulling on them. Another time when I went over his house he kept doing that same thing. It was hilarious to me. I didn't even bother to tell him my pony was fake. I let him live in his little fantasy and stay in the dark. If men really knew all the trouble we went through to look our best they'd be genuinely grossed out.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Most men dislike not only fake hair, but nails, too much make up, breasts etc. They do admire it on stars like Beyoncé because they aren't "real" - they are just an image.

I have no idea why, but I have never met any man, black or white, that likes fake stuff on women.

fluffylocks

laCriolla,

I think you hit the nail on the head, especially the way you related the way men look at hair to the way men look at makeup...it's the IMAGE they love, but they don't want to know the PROCESS:look:. And I agree, they don't need to know!!

Example: I have a male friend who has said to me, more than once: "One thing that I love about you is that your skin is always glowing."
I just smile and thank him, but in my head I'm thinking: "honey, thats bronzer, highlighter, AND 2 different colors of blush!":rolleyes:

Yeah, thats what i was thinking.

I think everyone loves to think in their mind that whoever they are with is a natural beauty, and doesnt need anything artificial or fake to make them look nice or look good in their opinion, and that they have everything together by themselves. And if anyones SO does use artifical things, i think we all like for it to be as natural as possible, and would prefer not to know about it (even if we dont acknowledge it.) I think when you first meet someone, and just know they are beautifull like that, there is more appeal, more mystery, more fun....the more you start learning about how they look like that---it makes thing alittle more boring, make the person seem more average, or just fake all together.

I cant believe you(Original Poster) told him that you couldnt wait to take the wig off:lachen:Why did you do that? :lachen:

I know with me personally, i like men to look good, but i want it to be effortless & natural, for some reason i think thats more manly.
I was turned all the way off when i found out an ex-boyfriend shaved his body, plucked stray hairs off his eyebrows, had a texturizer in his past, a frohawk (i guess the frohaw is equivalent in my mind to 5" fake nails and pink weaves)....:nono: I think women are allowed or have more expected things--like getting hair done, shaving, waxings ect., but when it all boils down to it, i think its the same idea as women with men.

miracle

Most men dislike not only fake hair, but nails, too much make up, breasts etc. They do admire it on stars like Beyoncé because they aren't "real" - they are just an image.

I have no idea why, but I have never met any man, black or white, that likes fake stuff on women.

I have found this to be true, as well. All the men that I have dated have been against anything that wasn't "naturally grown". :lol: My FH threatened to leave the first time I even mentioned getting acrylic nails for an event. Fake hair is definitely out of the question with him.

Lovelylocs

I don't like the way that fake her looks sometimes, esp when it's been in for a while and it looks dirty. I hate it when it looks really fake too.

I think it is okay that men don't like fake hair. :yep: What I DO think is odd is that they will accept braided extensions, but not a weave! What's the difference? Fake is fake.

silvergirl

I don't like the way that fake her looks sometimes, esp when it's been in for a while and it looks dirty. I hate it when it looks really fake too.

I think it is okay that men don't like fake hair. :yep: What I DO think is odd is that they will accept braided extensions, but not a weave! What's the difference? Fake is fake.
u can feel the fake in weaves (tracks, lace, glue, bonds) but you usually cant feel or tell the fake in braid extensions .

Afrikaisi

My husband doesn't like fake hair on black women, he thinks it is a joke, especially when it is noticable. I had a white male friend too, that wondered why we wore wigs and weaves, he thought we could grow hair of our own. (Some people's wigs and weavesl look terribly fake) I personally don't think men would care as long as its not their woman. They want you to wear your hair, but they want to see other women (with natural looking weaves) and drool over them. Can we please leave the wig and weave wearing to the professionals who know what they are doing. Or get a professional job done ladies! :lachen:

A

AmilLion

Men typically love women with long hair. And I guess, a woman with long hair that is her's is a "symbol" of true beauty to a man, like he has one notch up on his boy who girlfriend wears a weave.

A

AmilLion

u can feel the fake in weaves (tracks, lace, glue, bonds) but you usually cant feel or tell the fake in braid extensions .

I used to wear inbetween tracks and you couldn't feel it. This guy I was dating was shocked to find out I was wearing tracks and he would stroke my hair lol.

LunadeMiel

I got a weave once and my bf teased me about it until I took it out (that was one of the reasons).

He normally doesn't like when I get braids but last night I asked him what style I should get and he said "well babe you should get those twists things again because their are easier to take out" (I was thinking about getting smally human hair braids). He was the one that helped me take them out the last time. I guess just as long as I take breaks in between he is cool with the braids.