What is waist length?

InsertCleverNameHere

What do you consider waist length? I used to consider waist length where if you draw a line from your belly button to your back, that would be waist length. As my hair gets longer though, I don't think that counts as waist length for me anymore. I think of waist length now as hair that is at the bottom of the waist. So when you guys say waist length, what do you mean?

Nay

I think of waist length hair as hair that is right at the smallest portion of your waist, which for me would be about an inch and a half above my belly button.

MizAvalon

I have wondered this too. I see some people who are at bra-strap saying that they'll be at waist length in 6 months! Exactly how far down is waist length to you guys? I always thought of it as being almost to your butt.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I consider waist length to be at the point where you would put a tape measure around your waist to measure it.

dreemssold

I agree with Nay and Supergirl. Top of the pants, IMHO, is hip length and slightly lower than that is tailbone length.

Boadicea

I go by measuring standards that you use when figuring out clothing size.

In this sense, waist length is an inch to an inch and a half below your bellybutton. Not your bellybutton. Your hips are where your hip bones are.

dreemssold

[ QUOTE ]
I go by measuring standards that you use when figuring out clothing size.

In this sense, waist length is an inch to an inch and a half below your bellybutton. Not your bellybutton. Your hips are where your hip bones are.

[/ QUOTE ]

And see, when I measure my waist, I measure above my belly button.

bellydancer

[ QUOTE ]
I think of waist length hair as hair that is right at the smallest portion of your waist, which for me would be about an inch and a half above my belly button.

[/ QUOTE ]
that's where i thought waist length was. Whenever I get measured for clothes they always measure there for your waist.

EXSQUISIT

[ QUOTE ]
I consider waist length to be at the point where you would put a tape measure around your waist to measure it.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto!

renee_n_3000

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto! RealLuvs, I clicked on your pics and you have a very defined waist. I can see it in the one where you are wearing the jeans and bathing suit top. It guess that it might be harder for a woman to locate if she had a "ruler" shape, but yours is very clear. When your hair reaches that point, you will have waist-length hair. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm trying to picture what you mean by drawing a line from your belly button to your back, and if you mean a horizontal line, that would be below your waist.

renee_n_3000

Here's a thought ... I remember a thread about this before and people had so many different ideas of where a waist is. I didn't understand why at the time. I didn't think of it then, but could that be because of the low-rise pants trend? Perhaps instead of looking at their bodies, many women are now thinking of the top of their low-rise pants as indicating their waistline, regardless of the fact that they actually fall well below the waist?

mermaid

The waist is not above the belly button- that is your rib cage; now, I know we all have different shapes, and some have longer backs, thicker waists so it's not as defined as all that, but your waist is where a pair of pants (not low rise) START which is right below the belly button and just above the hips. That is why that is called the WAIST measurement- standard measurements for women are breast, waist and hips, so the hips clearly are not the waist, but you also don't wear your dress pants up on your rib cage, so obviously the waist is in between where the curve is. /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

felicia

[ QUOTE ]
The waist is not above the belly button- that is your rib cage; now, I know we all have different shapes, and some have longer backs, thicker waists so it's not as defined as all that, but your waist is where a pair of pants (not low rise) START which is right below the belly button and just above the hips. That is why that is called the WAIST measurement- standard measurements for women are breast, waist and hips, so the hips clearly are not the waist, but you also don't wear your dress pants up on your rib cage, so obviously the waist is in between where the curve is. /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for clearing that up. i guess i don't want waiste length hair. i think i want rib cage or a little above.

H

honey_jammz82

Shoot, I think if your hair has grown all the way to belly button length, you have made it. Bump 1-3 inches, your hair is there! That is alot of length, I would just know that my stuff is long and flowin'...I would not care!

renee_n_3000

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mermaid, I'm trying to understand what you mean. Do you mean that if you (personally) were to measure your waist, you would measure underneath the curve of the waist of your body? I was thinking that RealLuvs was referring to her physical body unclothed, and not where her pants or skirts would rest. So when I refer to a waist, I mean the area on her body where a woman would measure if she were trying to track weight loss and loss of inches in her waist each week, or where a dressmaker would measure when fitting her for a dress.

Here's the description from a health site:

Measuring Your Waist Circumference

Measure your waist without holding the tape too tightly (or too loosely). As a rough guide, your waist is the narrowest part of your trunk, or approximately 1 inch above your belly button.

WeightLoss.com

That's what I think of when I think of a waist, but your definition is different from mine. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

dreemssold

[ QUOTE ]
So when I refer to a waist, I mean the area on her body where a woman would measure if she were trying to track weight loss and loss of inches in her waist each week, or where a dressmaker would measure when fitting her for a dress.

Measure your waist without holding the tape too tightly (or too loosely). As a rough guide, your waist is the narrowest part of your trunk, or approximately 1 inch above your belly button.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly right, imo.

Mestiza

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mermaid, I'm trying to understand what you mean. Do you mean that if you (personally) were to measure your waist, you would measure underneath the curve of the waist of your body? I was thinking that RealLuvs was referring to her physical body unclothed, and not where her pants or skirts would rest. So when I refer to a waist, I mean the area on her body where a woman would measure if she were trying to track weight loss and loss of inches in her waist each week, or where a dressmaker would measure when fitting her for a dress.

WeightLoss.com

That's what I think of when I think of a waist, but your definition is different from mine. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

renee_n_3000,

You're right! /images/graemlins/up.gif That is precisely where the waist is located.

MizAvalon

Ok, so according to these definitions of waist, you hair is waistlength if it's an inch above your bellybutton? Does this mean that it remains waistlength until it touches your tailbone?

Boadicea

No. The next measurement is hip length and then tailbone length.

Then the next measurement is classic length, which is hair you can literally sit on. Often given the name of "butt" length.

AudraChanell

I can't wait until I have trouble figuring out whether I am waist-length or not. I am about 3 1/2 to 5 from my brastrap now /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

mermaid

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WeightLoss.com

[/ QUOTE ]
Right, most dress pants and skirts (mainly not jeans or casual) sit right over the top of the hips- that is why it's called a waistband. When I said the curve, that is what I meant, the smallest part of the trunk. /images/graemlins/wink.gif