What does it mean when your hair catches on itself?

ChocalateDiva

I was going to chime in to say the same thing about maintaining POROSITY.

For the longest, I have been experiencing tangling, tiny broken hairs, and eventually it led to ends that were getting ragged. After researching, I realized my porosity was off. I used to address porosity only after I relaxed. And ignored it for the rest of my stretch and that was not enough for my hair.

Recently, with my last relaxer, I have been using Roux Porosity Control after I deep condition. When I run a comb through afterwards to detangle, I am getting damn near NO hair coming out. No broken strands. Not as many shed hairs as before. Now I am nursing my ends, because my ends were the most affected by my porous hair.

If you fail to maintain the porosity control of your hair, it will slowly lead to splits and ragged ends. Your hair will give you signs, and "catching on itself" is one.

How do you use the Roux Porosity Control? Do you leave it in? Wash it out? Do you use the Conditioner or the Shampoo or both?

TIA

Lady Esquire

How do you use the Roux Porosity Control? Do you leave it in? Wash it out? Do you use the Conditioner or the Shampoo or both?

TIA

I use the Roux Porosity Control pH 4.5 Corrector and Conditioner in a blue bottle. After I shampoo and deep condition as usual, I apply about the size of a quarter coin, throughout my hair. I leave it in for about 30 seconds to a minute (as it says on the bottle). And then I rinse it out, and proceed to style.

Bint Yusef

I use the Roux Porosity Control pH 4.5 Corrector and Conditioner in a blue bottle. After I shampoo and deep condition as usual, I apply about the size of a quarter coin, throughout my hair. I leave it in for about 30 seconds to a minute (as it says on the bottle). And then I rinse it out, and proceed to style.
How often do you do this? Do you wait for a sign or do you do it on a regular basis?

JustKiya

Innntteresting!!

What are the ingredients, if I might ask?

Lady Esquire

GymFreak started a great thread about the basics, some of which we tend to neglect sometimes. It is a very informative thread. She gives 10 Top Things that we should always keep in mind.

The subject of POROSITY CONTROL is #3

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=186229

Here's another thread with an illustration of porous hair:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=104115&highlight=porosity

Here is another thread, where women share different ways they use their Porosity Control products, i.e., some mix it with conditioners:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=69274&highlight=porosity

*Happily Me*

GymFreak started a great thread about the basics, some of which we tend to neglect sometimes. It is a very informative thread. She gives 10 Top Things that we should always keep in mind.

The subject of POROSITY CONTROL is #3

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=186229

Here's another thread with an illustration of porous hair:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=104115&highlight=porosity

Here is another thread, where women share different ways they use their Porosity Control products, i.e., some mix it with conditioners:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=69274&highlight=porosity

thanks! :kiss:

so, I'll do ACV rinses as sistaslick suggests :)

Lady Esquire

How often do you do this? Do you wait for a sign or do you do it on a regular basis?

I used to only use it after I relaxed. But now I realize that I need to do it more often.

I recently relaxed 4 weeks ago. I have been doing it after each wash. It gives my hair great slip.

Once my ends seem to be a bit "more repaired", I may slack off and do it as needed. But for now, it is nursing my porous hair back.

Also, it is a good idea to clarify first, prior to doing your first PC treatment. You'll get better results.

Another tip I read from SistaSlick, is to use a neutralizer shampoo, the week after your relaxer. This helps balance your pH level as well.

Dposh167

For the longest, I have been experiencing tangling, tiny broken hairs, and eventually it led to ends that were getting ragged. After researching, I realized my porosity was off. I used to address porosity only after I relaxed. And ignored it for the rest of my stretch and that was not enough for my hair.

this is very interesting.

I too only used it after a relaxer but ignored to use it after that. I didn't think hair that has had its porosity corrected could switch back during a stretch. Im just now realizing this cuz my hair's porosity has been in control up until now. I don't understand how and why it changed.

QUESTION: during a stretch....how does hair that has it's porosity corrected switch back to overlyporous?

Lady Esquire

Innntteresting!!

What are the ingredients, if I might ask?

Forgive me if I misspell any:

Water, Propylene Glycol, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Oleyl Betaine, Lecithin, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance, Lactic Acid, Titanium Dioxide, MICA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Violet 2, Green 5

Hopefully, some of our science gurus can come in to shed some light on these ingredients.

Bint Yusef

Thank you so much LE. Im not relaxed but I had a lot of the problems listed as signs of porous hair, it must have been that darn color:look:. I cut all the color out and hoping that alleviates the issues, but I am prepooing now and I feel tangles coming on again.:perplexed I have some PC under the counter and will definitely try clarifying and and using the PC. Thanks for listing out those links too.

Lady Esquire

this is very interesting.

I too only used it after a relaxer but ignored to use it after that. I didn't think hair that has had its porosity corrected could switch back during a stretch. Im just now realizing this cuz my hair's porosity has been in control up until now. I don't understand how and why it changed.

QUESTION: during a stretch....how does hair that has it's porosity corrected switch back to overlyporous?

Good question. I was not quite sure, so I went back to some of the literature here. I pasted GymFreak's quick description of porosity and I think it answers your question...or at least I hope it does. Here it is, I underlined the portion that should address your question:

Porosity

If you are constantly dealing with dryness, you might want to also look into checking your hair’s porosity. :antlers:
What is your porosity and why should I care?
Porosity is your hair’s ability to absorb materials like water into the hair. Think about it like a sponge. First of all imagine a brand new sponge. It will have tiny holes in it, and when you immerse it in water, it will soak up a large quantity, and be able to hold that liquid for a long period of time. This is because it has good porosity. Now imagine an old sponge. Its holes have become damaged and distorted. It might even be torn in some areas. When you immerse this sponge in the same amount of liquid, it will absorb far less and will certainly not be able to retain the moisture so readily. You should care about your porosity because Hair that has poor porosity will not be able to absorb or retain moisture as well as hair that has good porosity, making hair permanently dry. Poor porosity can and will cause breakage issues too.
How to test your porosity

One way- Test the porosity of your hair. In order to test accurately for porosity, use three different areas: front hairline, in front of ears, and near the crown. Grasp small strands of dry hair and comb smoothly. Hold the ends firmly with the thumb and index finger of one hand and slide the fingers of the other hand from the ends towards the scalp. If the fingers do not slide easily, or if the hair ruffles up as your fingers slide down the stand, the hair is porous.

The more ruffles formed, the more porous is the hair. The less ruffles formed, the less porous is the hair. If the fingers slide easily and no ruffles are formed, the cuticle layer lays close to the hair shaft. This type of hair is least porous, is most resistant and will require a longer processing time.

How do I fix it

In order to help correct porosity issues, you need to focus on keeping your hair cuticles as smooth and flat as possible. Clear rinses, protein treatments and watching the pH of your products will all help with your porosity.

For more detailed info check out these links

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...light=porosity

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...y_damaged.html

Lady Esquire

Thank you so much LE. Im not relaxed but I had a lot of the problems listed as signs of porous hair, it must have been that darn color:look:. I cut all the color out and hoping that alleviates the issues, but I am prepooing now and I feel tangles coming on again.:perplexed I have some PC under the counter and will definitely try clarifying and and using the PC. Thanks for listing out those links too.

You are so very welcome.

I LOOOOOOVE your natural hair! :love:

You can address your porosity issues with clear rinses, protein treatments and keeping a close eye on the pH of your products.

You're right, clarifying first is a good idea...let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

*Happily Me*

Is it safe to do a ACV right after relaxing?

can someone give me the steps?

relax, neutralize, ACV rinse? then DC?

Lady Esquire

Dsylla,

I am going to defer to the ladies in this thread below:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=77990&highlight=acid+rinses

Based on what they are saying:

Vevster posted:
Apple Cider Vinegar 1 TB for every 16 oz of water. Post shampoo pre Conditioner pour a pitcherful of this over your head. Squeeze out the excess fluid. Condition as normal..

SistaSlick posted:
I used 1/4 cup ACV to 2 cups of water. I think I'll be adding this to my weekly regimen. My wet hair was gleaming after the rinse and it detangled very nicely. The ACV really lays those cuticles down tight! The only drawback is the smell of rotting flesh it gives off (mine says its meant for pickling and is made of old apple juice basically:lol: ), but once diluted it died down a bit.:lol:
I used it after my normal wash and before the conditioning step.:)

Dyslla, based on what the other ladies are doing:
Post-shampoo, Pre-condition seems to be the consensus.

TwistNMx

Can anyone tell me...does Roux Porosity control...is it for relaxed only or naturals as well?
Thanks
HP

Artemis

I agree with the ladies that provided you sound info on the porosity issue. I just want to add that if you were to use a conditioner that was meant only as a rinse, you may get a hold on this. Rinses are meant specifically to close and seal the cuticle. Using the porosity control conditioner in the manner that was previously described is good, but since it is the pH of the hair (4.5) it may help only a little bit. Think about when you go to rinse it out: The pH of water is 7, so the hair's pH goes back up a little bit. If you use a product with a slightly lower pH, when you rinse it out, the water will bring the hair's pH back to baseline (4.5-5.5).

If PC doesn't work try Paul Mitchell's The Rinse, The Detangler (lite) or any of Joico's conditioners, which are a pH of 3.5. I think Paul Mitchell's is a little lower than that. Properly sealing in the cuticle keeps the moisture trapped in the hair longer, and creates for easy styling. Also, products that are marketed as actual leave-in conditioners (and not just products you decide to use as such) are formulated to seal the cuticle, too. Using one of these after every wash (after the DC) should keep snagging to a minimum. That way you know that if still occurs, then the only thing left to do is to get a trim...:look:

HTH :)

Lady Esquire

Can anyone tell me...does Roux Porosity control...is it for relaxed only or naturals as well?
Thanks
HP

Good for both.

On the bottle, written as followed:

Controls Perm, Color and Relaxer Results.
Use Before a Chemical Service to Prevent Chemical Shock.
To Equalize Hair Porosity and Ensure Predictable Results.

Lady Esquire

I just want to add that if you were to use a conditioner that was meant only as a rinse, you may get a hold on this. Rinses are meant specifically to close and seal the cuticle. Using the porosity control conditioner in the manner that was previously described is good, but since it is the pH of the hair (4.5) it may help only a little bit. Think about when you go to rinse it out: The pH of water is 7, so the hair's pH goes back up a little bit. If you use a product with a slightly lower pH, when you rinse it out, the water will bring the hair's pH back to baseline (4.5-5.5).

If PC doesn't work try Paul Mitchell's The Rinse, The Detangler (lite) or any of Joico's conditioners, which are a pH of 3.5. I think Paul Mitchell's is a little lower than that. Properly sealing in the cuticle keeps the moisture trapped in the hair longer, and creates for easy styling.
HTH :)

Interesting. I use Dominican rinses when I feel I need extra help with detangling. Are the conditioner rinses that you're referring to the same?
I can pick up the Paul Mitchell or the Joico at Sally's?

Artemis

Interesting. I use Dominican rinses when I feel I need extra help with detangling. Are the conditioner rinses that you're referring to the same?
I can pick up the Paul Mitchell or the Joico at Sally's?

Correct :yep: Dom rinses serve the same purpose. I don't know the pH of them, though. Maybe someone who knows that can chime in...

Paul Mitchell and Joico are sold in salons and salon-style stores (eg, Trade Secret and Ulta). I've never seen either in Sally's...only the generics and I don't mess with those.

SleepyJean

Good question. I was not quite sure, so I went back to some of the literature here. I pasted GymFreak's quick description of porosity and I think it answers your question...or at least I hope it does. Here it is, I underlined the portion that should address your question:

Porosity

If you are constantly dealing with dryness, you might want to also look into checking your hair’s porosity. :antlers:
What is your porosity and why should I care?
Porosity is your hair’s ability to absorb materials like water into the hair. Think about it like a sponge. First of all imagine a brand new sponge. It will have tiny holes in it, and when you immerse it in water, it will soak up a large quantity, and be able to hold that liquid for a long period of time. This is because it has good porosity. Now imagine an old sponge. Its holes have become damaged and distorted. It might even be torn in some areas. When you immerse this sponge in the same amount of liquid, it will absorb far less and will certainly not be able to retain the moisture so readily. You should care about your porosity because Hair that has poor porosity will not be able to absorb or retain moisture as well as hair that has good porosity, making hair permanently dry. Poor porosity can and will cause breakage issues too.
How to test your porosity

One way- Test the porosity of your hair. In order to test accurately for porosity, use three different areas: front hairline, in front of ears, and near the crown. Grasp small strands of dry hair and comb smoothly. Hold the ends firmly with the thumb and index finger of one hand and slide the fingers of the other hand from the ends towards the scalp. If the fingers do not slide easily, or if the hair ruffles up as your fingers slide down the stand, the hair is porous.

The more ruffles formed, the more porous is the hair. The less ruffles formed, the less porous is the hair. If the fingers slide easily and no ruffles are formed, the cuticle layer lays close to the hair shaft. This type of hair is least porous, is most resistant and will require a longer processing time.

How do I fix it

In order to help correct porosity issues, you need to focus on keeping your hair cuticles as smooth and flat as possible. Clear rinses, protein treatments and watching the pH of your products will all help with your porosity.

For more detailed info check out these links

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...light=porosity

So ruffles are good?

*Happily Me*

so, i just permed my hair. (i lost my camera, so i don't have any pics)

i did an acv rinse which left my hair hard and dry feeling :/. perhaps it's because I did if before DCing?

About the tangles. I STILL had tangles. it took 1/2 under running water to finger comb them out. I think, although i am still investigating, that my tangles are due to lots of new growth and semi-straightish "ends". my tangles appear at the root and when I run my fingers through my hair, my finger gets caught at the root. I carefully pull apart the hair.

I had every intention of getting my hair straighter this time. I even smoothed my relaxer in, but it didn't take. It really doesn't look like I relaxed. I probably should have left it in longer.

we'll see. I will continue to incorporate ACV rinses

foxieroxienyc

OT: DSylla LOVE the new siggy pic.

Back to topic... Ladies thanks SOO much for posting this info. You know I've been experiencing this problem (hair catching on itself) for a couple of weeks. I dont have any splits and I've been doing light protein treatments and always DC - I use Humectress and Pantene Mask. I saw some tiny breakage the last few days so I'm about to wash my hair and do a quick hardcore Aphogee, and then DC, then finish off with the Porosity Control which I just purchased today. Hopefully this will help to mend my issues. I think PC is going to become a staple in my reggie if it works well. I'm 7 weeks post relaxer with A LOT of new growth.

JustKiya

This is all SUCH great information!!

It sounds like 'lifted' cuticles and porousity have a cause and effect relationship - the more lifted your cuticles are, the more porous your hair is.

I thought this link and the associated image
were very interesting.

Seems like this would also explain why an ACV (acidic) rinse smooths out the hair as well.....

dinaaike

Lady Esquire, great job. Very informative. Artemis, you too!

I recovered recently from this problem. It took me a while to find the cause though, so by the time I corrected it, the only way to deal with the splits and fairy knots was to cut.

Ordinarily I would've asked more questions before advising, but I just dealt with this on another thread and it was late so... :look:

Anyway, the reason I knew that it was not JUST split ends in my case is because I was seeing fairy knots on my hairline. The nape of my neck felt like a brillo pad and after cutting it four times I thought, "okay, maybe the issue is bigger than splits". My hair wouldn't hold moisture, and even began looking dull. I tried ACV and even regular vinegar for that matter with no success. I used a porosity/pH correcter and the problems dramatically reduced. After I clarified with a chelating shampoo, they went away completely. I did still cut to prevent further damage, but the back of my head has felt like...hair ever since.

Lady Esquire

so, i just permed my hair. (i lost my camera, so i don't have any pics)

i did an acv rinse which left my hair hard and dry feeling :/. perhaps it's because I did if before DCing?

About the tangles. I STILL had tangles. it took 1/2 under running water to finger comb them out. I think, although i am still investigating, that my tangles are due to lots of new growth and semi-straightish "ends". my tangles appear at the root and when I run my fingers through my hair, my finger gets caught at the root. I carefully pull apart the hair.

I had every intention of getting my hair straighter this time. I even smoothed my relaxer in, but it didn't take. It really doesn't look like I relaxed. I probably should have left it in longer.

we'll see. I will continue to incorporate ACV rinses

I am sorry to hear that you are having tangle issues. When I self-relax, I get this problem. I have some resistant hair, and I do not think I am leaving the relaxer in long enough, for fear of overprocessing, and some portions never take well.

A few months ago, I incorporated Dominican rinses into my regimen, when I need extra help with detangling, and that has helped a lot.

I have never tried an ACV, because my hair dries out easily and the word "vinegar" makes me nervous. Maybe you should try some Dom. rinses or the rinses that Artemis recommended.

Determined22

I incorporated ACV rinses after seeing SouthernTease's fabulous results. I do 1/2 cup Bragg's ACV in 4 cups of water, and I use it after my DC. I've been doing this for about 2 months and I've noticed a difference in my hair. I still have some PC that was using back in the beginning of my hair journey, I may pull it out and see how it does compared to the ACV rinse.

Mahalialee4

I get really clingy hair from time to time. Like velcro. the only thing that works for me is to take a couple of tablespoons of baking soda, add it to my shampoo, apply to hair. Rinse and repeat. Then once out of the shower, I start to section my hair, and spray on Infusium Leave In to the hair shaft and I am able to do my thing. My hair is good for a couple of weeks. Hope this helps.