What do YOU add to henna?

LadyPaniolo

I'm using some honey and olive oil in this batch... plus apple cider vinegar for color release.

I've never tried adding stuff to henna before, but I figured it couldn't hurt, right?

So who adds stuff to henna treatments? What do you add, in what proportions, and what are the benefits?

twnz&1mo

Be careful with the ACV it is very drying. I use 1-2 capfulls

I'm using some honey and olive oil in this batch... plus apple cider vinegar for color release.

I've never tried adding stuff to henna before, but I figured it couldn't hurt, right?

So who adds stuff to henna treatments? What do you add, in what proportions, and what are the benefits?

Neith

I'm a henna purist :lol: I only add orange juice. I want good, fast dye release and I don't want to weaken the staining power in any way.

I also find that I don't need extra conditioning in the henna. It always leaves my hair feeling great. I never had any brittle hair with henna.

Platinum

The first time I henna'd, I only used water and alma oil. My hair felt like straw, not really dry, just a little stiff.. Next time, I'll add conditioner and Fenugreek to the mix.:yep:

Last edited:

Desarae

-a splash of Lemon Juice--for acidity and color release
-VO5 Conditioner--For Moisture
-1 egg yolk--For Softness and Strength
-Honey--For Added Moisture
-Jojoba Oil--For Lubrication
-Peppermint Essential Oil--For the Tinggggle
-Glycerin--For Moisture

then mix with

-Distilled Water--to form a paste

My hair ALWAYS comes out soft. Never Dry. I don't measure though.

ETA: The first time I only used Lemon Juice and Henna. My hair came out so hard It took weeks to get it back right.

changedlife

I am intrested in this thread cause I am a henna newbie :grin:. So far I tried adding egg, yogurt, green tea and honey. This is my second week of hennaying.

naturalgurl

I use orange juice that I hand squeeze from oranges(like you Neith) and a touch of salt(and I mean like a couple of pinches) for quick staining. I once was a chemistry major and learned that sometimes adding something very basic can undo the reaction you're looking for, especially if the directions only call for certain things and not just anything. To prevent dryness, I heavy handedly put shea butter and olive oil in my hair the night before and baggy. Let it dry before I apply the henna and then do the same after I rinse except using my thermal heat cap. No drying moments yet.

LadyPaniolo

The first time I henna'd i put in like a CUP of ACV :blush: My hair was jacked. I can't even remember how many times I had to DC to get it back to normal. :nono:

ichephren

Warm water, amla powder, olive oil, and maybe a cup of slippy conditioner. I don't use that much henna at a time...I see some people using the whole box. I'd say that I use a quarter of the box and a quarter of the box of amla each time. I don't leave it to relase color because I don't really like the extreme red the henna gives, I just want shine, gloss, and a few red highlights.

mrsmercery

I've henna'd my hair 4 times last winter and I only used lemon juice to mix it. I searched everywhere online and read a thesis statement even this woman did on the benefits of henna to see what was recommended. Before putting it in my head I do mix a tablespoon of some EVOO in it (even though that was never mentioned when doing my "research" the ladies here seem to do it with success). This weekend I'm starting my regimen again (yeah I was the fool who saw some growth and went heat crazy:nono:), and will be doing my first henna treatment since spring. My hair always came out real nice and soft with just the lemon juice.

LadyPaniolo

Hmm.... I had thought about adding some cheap condish to the mix, but I didnt' want anything to interfere with the color release or the color being absorbed into my hair.

All the women in my mom's family have gotten 2 stripes of white hair at the temples going straight back. Some folks might think it looks cool, but I'm not trying to pass for Pepe Lepueu. I've not gotten the white stripes just yet, but a few hairs have sprouted up... :nono: I will henna them into submission no matter what! :armyhat:

:eek:ffrant: Ok, so does adding conditioner to the henna interfere with the staining properties of henna?

JustKiya

Hmm.... I had thought about adding some cheap condish to the mix, but I didnt' want anything to interfere with the color release or the color being absorbed into my hair.

All the women in my mom's family have gotten 2 stripes of white hair at the temples going straight back. Some folks might think it looks cool, but I'm not trying to pass for Pepe Lepueu. I've not gotten the white stripes just yet, but a few hairs have sprouted up... :nono: I will henna them into submission no matter what! :armyhat:

:eek:ffrant: Ok, so does adding conditioner to the henna interfere with the staining properties of henna?

Not that I've noticed - it seems to stain my hands and my gloves just fine. :lol: My hair is too dark to be able to make an objective comparison there.

LadyPaniolo

OK, well I'm airdrying as we speak... err.. you know what I mean :lachen:

This time I added some honey and EVOO and my hair came out much softer than the previous times I henna'd. It was a lot easier to detangle than it usually is.... which is good b/c I've been flirting with relaxing for a minute due to tangling....

I DC'ed under the dryer for a bit with my babydaddy, Suave Humectress, and my hair seems really happy. :yep: So maybe I can keep that creamy crack at bay for a little longer....

VinDieselsWifey

i use 250 grams of henna

16 oz of yogurt

~50 grams shikakai powder

~50 grams amla powder

~1/4 cup olive oil

distilled water infused with rosemary & sage

i mix the henna, shikakai, amla together

i mix the yogurt & olive oil together

then i mix the powders and yogurt mix together

then add enough infused water to make a thick paste

let it sit overnight on top of the TV for the heat

i pour it in empty conditioner bottles and use what i need then freeze the rest for next time

Eisani

distilled water w/a bit of rose water added to it, bit of OJ and lavendar EO. Das it, mami!
I'm addicted to rosewater, really :giggle: but it leaves my hair so soft. It's not enough to kill the henna smell though, which is why I use the lavendar EO.

Sounds like you got some really good results w/the honey and EVOO. I'm going to try this next time :grin:.

moonglowdiva

My henna mix is simple. I use 5/8 cup of henna, 3/8 cup of clove powder, 1 tablespoon of red wine, enough chamomile tea to make a yogurt like paste. I let the dye release for 12 hour then apply. I usually sit under the dryer for 30 minutes (i'm impatient) and allow it to sit on hair for about 2 hours (while I do other things). This mix does not dry my hair out. It leave it very moist and the color is very subtle until it oxidize and then it is a little more pronounced. This is what works for me. I hennaed my hair 3 times last year but I intend to do it more often in the upcoming year Lord willing.

Eisani

My henna mix is simple. I use 5/8 cup of henna, 3/8 cup of clove powder, 1 tablespoon of red wine, enough chamomile tea to make a yogurt like paste. I let the dye release for 12 hour then apply. I usually sit under the dryer for 30 minutes (i'm impatient) and allow it to sit on hair for about 2 hours (while I do other things). This mix does not dry my hair out. It leave it very moist and the color is very subtle until it oxidize and then it is a little more pronounced. This is what works for me. I hennaed my hair 3 times last year but I intend to do it more often in the upcoming year Lord willing.
I love my wine too much to even part w/a tablespoon :lachen::alcoholicThis is an interesting mix though. Seems like I read about incorporating wine somewhere before.