Is HENNA really worth it?

Is Henna Really Worth It?

• Yes, I am natural and have seen many benefits for my hair.

Votes: 117 15.5%
  • No, I am natural and it was too much work for minimal benefits.

Votes: 16 2.1%
  • Yes, I am relaxed and have seen many benefits for my hair.

Votes: 131 17.4%
  • No, I am relaxed and it was too much work for minimal benefits.

Votes: 24 3.2%
  • I dont know. I have never used henna.

Votes: 465 61.8%

• Total voters

Khadija.D.Carryl

hhmmmm Washington, DC..have you tried to find a local Indian store. That is your best bet, but indigo is going to be the tough one to find. So your next best bet to find it all in the same spot is online, from a reputable supplier.

SelahOco

Those that Henna...do you still use protein treatments like Aphogee? Does one omit the need for the other?

Swanky

hhmmmm Washington, DC..have you tried to find a local Indian store. That is your best bet, but indigo is going to be the tough one to find. So your next best bet to find it all in the same spot is online, from a reputable supplier.

Khadija,

Love your name by the way, can I borrow it? :)
Thanks for replying to my post, I'll check around here for Indian stores.
In the meantime...

Which powders do you carry, (other than Henna)?

Thanks!

Khadija.D.Carryl

Thanks Swanky :) sure anytime (ie you may borrow it).

There isn't any promoting of personal businesses allowed here, so I can only say to check out my links and you can view the other items.

2sweetnsugarland

I think it is. I have a texturizer on my hair and as you can see by my picture it is super curly. I will post more recent pics next week, my hair is almost on my shoulders. Below are my answers.
So I want to know IS HENNA REALLY WORTH ALL THE HASSLE??:confused:

Also, please share info about your Henna regimens.... I add 100% orange juice and my regular conditioner to my henna. For natural looking black hair use 1/2 henna and 1/2 indigo. You can find a lot of information on http://www.hennaforhair.com/

What brand of Henna do you use? Where do you get it? I order from http://www.hennaforhair.com/ under the Mehandi tab on the top left hand side and I get the "Body Art Quality Henna for African American Hair"

How often do you do your treatments? I henna about every other month or so to cover my gray

What if anything do you add to your henna? I add 100% orange juice to relase the color of the henna and conditioner, very simple.

What benefits have you seen in your hair? My curls are a little loose but not by much and my hair feels healthier.

How long have you been doing Henna Treatments? I've been using henna for about 18 months

What is your hair type? Shoulder length curly hair by using Soft & Beautiful Texturizer. Just regular hair! :yep:

Do you have any additional henna info that you think is helpful? Make sure you read the http://www.hennaforhair.com/ website "before" you henna just to make sure you have all your facts together.

After you henna for the first time make sure you deep condition your hair. I mean leave the conditioner on for 2 hours or more. I don't use a heat cap much I just put on a plastic cap, put a knit skull cap on and let the conditioner do its job. Hope this helps!!!

Thanks in advance ladies:)[/quote]

liv4the1

I really love using henna in my hair. It makes my hair shinier, stronger and thicker. It can feel like a hassle at first because if you use henna that is pure (with no chemicals) then it is best you leave it on for a couple of hours. I get my henna from Silk & Stone (www.silknstone.com). Their henna is very rich in color and permanent. They say to leave it in the hair for about three hours or longer for my dark brown hair. It gives it better conditioning and health benefits. They also recommend not to use lemon juice because that strips out the color and can damage the hair. Henna is very conditioning and nourishing if you can make a habit to use it you will really love how soft your hair becomes. I also really like the earthy scent and knowing that I am doing something good for my hair and for my health.

-So the henna I use is Silk & Stone Brand
-I use only warm water to mix it. It doesn't need anything acidic. the dye releases really well with warm water.
- I also use their Indigo, cassia and amla for added conditioning and shine and also to enhance the color.
- Once a week I will use their amla hair oil to help condition and strengthen the hair.
-My hair is wavy
-I wish I had time to do my hair regularly. It should be done every few months for the best benefits and the roots maybe every 1-2 months. Thanks God i don't have too much gray yet!

You can actually call them and get more information. They seem to have a lot of knowledge of these products. They are in Portland, OR so if you can actually go in person they will walk you through what is best for you. They also do the hair themselves if you don't want to do it yourself.

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
If henna gets to be a lot to upkeep and to maintain, I recommend just trying to balance it out. Perhaps do a henna gloss in between and just root touch up s as needed. Don't over burden yourself with full head applications. It will make you feel better. One of us here also does henna along with yoghurt. They were very happy with it.

As for the sift of the henna powders Jamila and Rajasthani henna they both have the SAME sift. They are superb !! Fine as baby powder. Rajasthani indian henna just has a faster dye release then jamila. A client used the rajasthani henna on their palms and this was the color result (so dark). See here:
Moroccan henna has a less fine sift and you will find some sticks/fibers in it, but NEVER dirty. What we usually do in body art to elminate the fibers in the henna powder is put the henna through a stocking (that has no support toes, forget what its called) but just a cheap one (and like a knee high really).
You put your paste right into it and then put that into a plastic bag (like a carrot bag or ziplock) and start squeezing all the way down towards the bottom until all the henna passses through. There will you get a fine henna paste. I always do this with moroccan henna, but not usually for a hair treatment. Ours still washes out well as there are not too many fibers as some can have. It doesn't bother me personally.
BUMPing or whatever it's called -for this tip.

Will use this in future for all (especially Moroccan) henna HAIR applications.

EDIT TO ADD: Unlike the 2020 Moroccan henna,
the Rajasthani batch of 2020 is superbly fine -- I sifted it several times with a very fine sieve and it all passed through!

Last edited: