WEAVES, WEAVES, WEAVES!!!!

ShortyDooWhop

Hey Ladies,

I'm considering getting a weave (the last time was a disaster) and want to know what advice would the weave divas and weavologist give to a newbie?
What is the best method to braid the hair under the weave? How do you moisturize your hair? How often do you wash your hair while weaved up?
Can you henna while wearing a weave? What products do you use? Should the weave be sewn onto the hair or should a hair net be used?

Come on ladies, what has trial and error taught you about how to get the most growth and length retention out of this style?

SDW

Lucia

There's always risk of thinning the hairline and or cutting some hair short by accident when taking a weave down. Wigs are better sometimes for that very reason but weaves never come off until you take them off so it's very secure.

Sew-in weaves:
I'd say that it's hard to moisturize you real hair under the weave and you have to take down at least every 2 months to detangle, get out shed hair (there will be ALOT) wash or CW, DC dust, henna whatever in between then reinstall. The best type of braids are definitely corn rows front to back. To moisturize use an applicator tip bottle with diluted conditioner or light oil.
Make sure whatever type of weave you use you can get to your real hair or it will just dry out and break off underneath. But there's always the chance you've missed a spot and it dries out and breaks.
When I did weave packs and sewed them into the rows then threw a headband on it I had access to my real hair enough to moisturize daily and mist. I still had to do the bi-monthly take down.

Wigs: (IMO better than sew ins)
you can take it down every day to moisturize wash or CW DC dust S&D and you hair can breathe. Also there's less chance of thinning your edges especially if you choose one with bangs, or swing bangs. You can braid any way that's more convenient for you as long as it can fit under the wig.
HHG

Last edited:

ShortyDooWhop

Thanks Lucia. Your advice is great.

I retained a lot of length through wearing my hair in braids, but got tired of the same look so I tried to wear a weave. I honestly don't know whether it was the way the hair was braided or because I couldn't access my hair to clean and moisturize it properly, but when I took it out and washed it my hair was a HUGE KNOTTED DREAD LOCK. Now I'm really thinking about trying the weave again, but I don't want the same result. So again Lucia, your post is very informative.
Keep them coming.

PlainJane

I use a color applicator bottle filled with a mixture of coconut oil and my hot six oil braid spray. I also spray the tracks with the braid spray.

The best retention I've ever experienced!

hothair

BHM has all sorts of information on weaves from reviews of different hair types, braiding patterns, sealing wefts, how to wash etc so I would suggest having a peak on there. Only other thing is, when taking the weave down make sure you fully detangle and comb all shed hairs before getting the hair wet/damp.

SingBrina

I love Indi Remi.... Have no probs, I used it twice so far..... I wash with a weave line from Carson, I don't do a conditioner, just a leave in conditioner from Bobos Remi, let it air dry or dry it on cool setting n flat iron, my hair is like new again! Bouncy n no tangles nor matting.