WEAVES & care - Kind of slow so bear with me lol...

RoseGolden

Okay :). I've been researching sew-in weaves on the board and how people care for them. My question is exactly how do you wash the braids underneath? I need vivid details lol. What do you do with the weave hair while washing and how do you ensure the hair underneath is properly cleaned? I read that some DC their hair while in weaves. How in the world do you do this?:confused: How should you moisturize daily and whats best to moisturize with?

Basically how do you care for your weave to ensure maximum health and growth? Lots of questions, sorry!

CoCoGirl821

Great question. I was actually thinking about asking something like this. I also want to know how many ladies use flat irons on the portion of hair left out in the front. I am in the boot camp challenge so I am trying to figure how I am going to not use heat on MY hair when I get my sew-in.

glamazon386

Wash it in the shower just like you would your own hair. It's no different than washing hair while in braids or cornrows. Same thing with DCing. I wash once a week. Sometimes I DC, sometimes I don't. I also don't moisturize daily. I just spray the braids with braid spray whenever my scalp feels itchy. That's it.

Cocogirl, when I was relaxed, I flat ironed every once in a blue. It was easier to just put some pomade or type of moisturizer on my hair and tie it down with a scarf than to keep flat ironing.

CaribbeanQueen

bmoreflyygirl said:
Wash it in the shower just like you would your own hair. It's no different than washing hair while in braids or cornrows. Same thing with DCing. I wash once a week. Sometimes I DC, sometimes I don't. I also don't moisturize daily. I just spray the braids with braid spray whenever my scalp feels itchy. That's it.

Cocogirl, when I was relaxed, I flat ironed every once in a blue. It was easier to just put some pomade or type of moisturizer on my hair and tie it down with a scarf than to keep flat ironing.

Bmore, what kind of hair do you use? the only reason I ask is because, I find that BSS hair can only withstand a couple of washes before it starts looking like a poofy mess..

glamazon386

CaribbeanQueen said:
Bmore, what kind of hair do you use? the only reason I ask is because, I find that BSS hair can only withstand a couple of washes before it starts looking like a poofy mess..

It depends on the style. I usually buy BSS hair. Sometimes out the clearance bin at that. I just deep condition it and it's fine. I only keep my styles in for about a month anyway before I decide that I want a new look. That and I don't have time to be waiting for internet hair to show up at my door. Nor the funds. I'd really like some Nature girl but that's out of my budget. For straight styles I buy Sensationnel New Platinum Yaki. For curly or wavy styles, I've bought quite a few different ones. Sometimes human, sometimes synthetic. Most of my wigs/half wigs are synthetic. Nobody ever knows the difference. :lol:

CaribbeanQueen

bmoreflyygirl said:
It depends on the style. I usually buy BSS hair. Sometimes out the clearance bin at that. I just deep condition it and it's fine. I only keep my styles in for about a month anyway before I decide that I want a new look. That and I don't have time to be waiting for internet hair to show up at my door. Nor the funds. I'd really like some Nature girl but that's out of my budget. For straight styles I buy Sensationnel New Platinum Yaki. For curly or wavy styles, I've bought quite a few different ones. Sometimes human, sometimes synthetic. Most of my wigs/half wigs are synthetic. Nobody ever knows the difference. :lol:

I hear that :lol: when I weave I usually only keep it in for a month or so too... Instant Weaves are my best friend. The look as good as a weave and I can moisturize, wash, scratch, whatever as often as I like without having to worry.;)

glamazon386

CaribbeanQueen said:
I hear that :lol: when I weave I usually only keep it in for a month or so too... Instant Weaves are my best friend. The look as good as a weave and I can moisturize, wash, scratch, whatever as often as I like without having to worry.;)

Exactly. ;) I used to be the Instant Weave queen. For like 2 whole years ever since Sensationnel first put their brand out at the end of 2002. The only person who knew they were wigs was my mother because she saw me take them off and put them on. Everyone else thought I just had a good weave. :lol: