Weave Maintenance Lines: Are we loosing focus in hair care?

chayil0427

Ladies

Recently I've noticed two new weave maintenance lines on the market. ORS (Organic Root Stimulator) has their Weave RX line and Soft Sheen Carson has come out with Weave Care. These are complete lines of products to maintain your weave.

Well, I can understand why someone might want a weave care line, but I was thinking, ok most weaves are human hair so why not just use the best human hair products? Also, I'm concerned that as a people we're losing focus on hair care --- focusing on maintaining our WEAVE instead of nuturing what's under the weave. :nono: Weaves used to be a tempory fix until your natural hair returned to health. Nowadays, however, many woman see weave as their permanent hair and there real hair as just a foundation to glue or sew the weave onto. This concerns me because I feel a womans hair truly is her glory and we should nuture it to the best of our abilities and not sacrifise its health.

To you, what do the new weave care lines say about weave culture? Do you think its a big deal? Do you feel the health of our hair as a community is being sacrifised by weaves, braids ect in addition to the many many hair myths that weave their way through our society? Thanks for sharing your opinions!

Chayil

firecracker

Chile you know we live in a unbeweavable world these days. :lachen: Thats why you see disappearing hairlines more than ever:nono:

I think they deserve a haircare line just like everybody else.:grin:

Spongie Bloom

i also agree that we live in a beweavable culture :lachen:for me personally i am still in recovery after my braid addiction...if i dont have braids i feel naked i have sacrifises my hair line and length oh yes i went in to a salon and told them to cut my hair really short so i can rock some micros which will look like my hair

i remember that the stylist was so reluctant and she even called the owner of the salon to consult and i was adamant i want to cut my hair for this hairstyle they cut it but not as short as i wanted it lol so yes my addiction to fake hair was really bad and im trying to fight it now so keep praying for me ladies :grin: i want to take care of my real hair now ( yes i know i rambled and probably didnt answer the question lol)

fluffylocks

I think that before they focus on making products for weaves, they should make better products for our real hair
And before someone gets a weave, they should learn all about their own hair and how to take care of it, and that it shoudlnt be something to replace their hair.

But everything is all mixed up----Alot of our hair products our garbage, and they keep building on top of that instead of improving the current ones, and alot of women dont know yet or care to know about our hair---so its like everything will continue.

But the good news imo is more and more black women are learning about hair, and it seems their are better products coming out these days. So right now more women can use the weave maintenance lines in a better way than before, and in the future---more will be able to use it right. I just think right now it was a step to fast, even though i think its good to have lines that will help make your weave look better if you choose to wear one.

tbaby_8

Honestly, you have ladies that are going to always wear weave and not take care of their real hair. Matter of fact, I live in that city right now.:lachen:

I think they should have a line. Have you seen a weave when it has gotten old and matted. It is horrible. Yeah, they need their own line to keep those weaves from looking so much like a weave. I can't knock it. I just wish they would at least try and make the attempt to take care of their real hair.

pazyamor

I'm of two persuasions when it comes to this: one is, you spend a lot of money to have the best weave (at least, some women do) and so maintaining it is a top priority and a weave-care line sounds like a weave dream come true. On the other hand, if they're taking all this time and money to develop and market a weave-care line, then why aren't they taking the same energy and focusing it on a hair-care line that actually helps our natural hair growth? I cannot count how many times I've stopped women in the BSS or Walmart or target from buying thick grease and an entire Dr. Miracle hair care line (because that stuff is toxic! I did my own research, and his name should be Dr. Hair-Killer), in favor of some EVOO, a good conditioner, and some good moisturizer; which is really what we need. All the things I've learned that have given me beautiful, soft, growing hair I've learned from LHCF, and I just think, "I know there are hundreds of black women on this site looking for BSL and below, but what about the thousands of black women who will never know what needs to be done to get long, gorgeous hair?" It's sad and whenever I see a teenaged girl walking down the street with chewed up ends, or buying that welfare-sized tub of thick black gel (ya'll know what I'm talking about) I just have to say something; I even let a group of girls touch my hair the other day!! What's the point of my knowing all this knowledge, if I don't share it with other women?

SO...I rambled, but there is my opinion in there somewhere, so...yea.

glamazon386

I noticed this too. But they're just catering to a growing market. If the majority of black women are wearing weaves, they're capitalizing on that. Not to mention the fact a lot of people don't know that you can use regular products on weave. People ask that question here on the board all the time "What products should I be using on my weave?" when they're getting a weave for the first time. For many people out there it is not common knowledge because they are not taking care of their hair underneath the weave.

glamazon386

But everything is all mixed up----Alot of our hair products our garbage, and they keep building on top of that instead of improving the current ones, and alot of women dont know yet or care to know about our hair---so its like everything will continue.

This is true. A lot of our products are crap. They're loaded with mineral oil and petrolatum. It wasn't until the past few years we started seeing some new products that are focusing on more natural alternatives and healthier hair. Think about it, where we seeing all these products with shea butter and olive oil 5 years ago?

SleekandBouncy

I think so.

It's the quick fix mentality. I think it's worsened by the fact that as black women we've gone from (generally) believing that our hair is a burden and therefore going to extremes to hot comb or grease it into submission to covering it up with weaves. I don't have a problem with weaves, but I feel like it's become a go to style for too many of. Outside of LHCF too many black women still don't know how to properly care for our hair.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
It is really sad that many black women would spend thousands of dollars on weaves and weave care instead of on their own hair and its care. Black women are completely misinformed when it comes to hair care. I was misinformed. But like you said weaves are quick fix to satisfy the craving for long hair. Many black women are unaware their hair can grow as long as or longer than the weave they wear. I didn't know that 2 years ago and now I am growing towards MBL:eek:. When you can buy a weave care line before a hair care line, you really don't care about your own hair, just as long as you've got some hair to sew the weave onto. Soft Sheen Carson and ORS know the millions black women spend each year on weaves and having a weave care line just means more $$$$$ in their pockets. The key for black women right now is education. They need to educate themselves about their own unique hair type and what they can do to get healthy hair and help it grow to long lengths. There is tons of information out there and it isn't very hard to find but you need to be seeking it...

Country gal

Weaves can be very addictive. I use to sport them a lot in the past. I recently sported a weave for a month. It started looking matted and old. I took it out because my natural hair looks better. I have a co-worker that will sport jacked up weaves/braids because she doesn't want to sport her real hair.

chayil0427

I agree with the person who said they should focus on making products and providing proper education for REAL hair. I hate this trend where it seems black women have just given up on their real hair and weaves are just the natural thing to do. Women are even getting weaves for their daughters because their hair is so damaged at an early age or they don't know how to care for it. We really need the best products and education.

Chayil

lisana

Weaves can be very addictive. I use to sport them a lot in the past. I recently sported a weave for a month. It started looking matted and old. I took it out because my natural hair looks better. I have a co-worker that will sport jacked up weaves/braids because she doesn't want to sport her real hair.

that's really it right there. They are so addictive and convenient. And let's not forget they can give the illusion of perfect hair. For SOME women, all the hair care in the world is not going to give them the thick, long hair that a weave can. I also believe that there is a growing number of women who are smart about hair care but still choose weaves and weaves because genetics dealt them a short hand and also the women who really don't think its' that serious, to them, hair truly is and accessory. I do think it's funny though, how these hair product companies are selling this weave maintenance line as if regular shampoo won't work

glamazon386

I totally agree. It's like instant gratification. I had to wean myself off slowly. Sure I love a good weave, but now it's like after a few weeks I start to miss my own hair. IDK how I used to do it before. Weaves back to back all the time.