Weaves on pre-teens?

hopeful

scorpian said:
Update on this:The recital was today and I pressed her hair using both the maxiglide(for the top and sides) and the miniglide for the nape area

My sister- in- law sewed in a couple tracks in the back to enhance the length and she wore one ponytail on top(all her own hair)and one ponytail at the nape that was wrapped in a bun for the first number(the hat that went with the 1st costume covered the top ponytail so it looked like a bun at the base of her head(a bun at the nape was the goal)

I unwrapped the bun that was at the nape but I left it in a ponytail to hang down for the second number so she had a high ponytail at the top and a low ponytail at the nape(half hair up half hanging down was the goal)

It worked out perfect and I'm glad I went with this instead of the extensions cause the tracks were removed easily right after the recital

Thanks for all of your suggestions :)

I'm glad everything worked out for you. I have girls who take dance classes too so I know what you were going through.

Tru_Mind

When I saw KeKe Palmer (from Akeelah and The Bee) on Oprah I was too shocked to see a weave in her hair.

I know that she had braids(weave) in the movie, but braids fit little girls...but only if they aren't too heavy and too long.

After viewing her site I see that she has had braids for years now...I believe that she is only 11 or 12 yrs old. I know that she looks older...but she's still 11 or 12.

I'm guessing that her natural hair is in bad shape which is why she wears weave...but I'm not sure that wearing weave all the time helps.

http://www.kekepalmer.net/

Attachments

• 20060425_202_350x263.jpg
    20060425_202_350x263.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

designer05

I personally wore my hair natural for a long time, and as I got older and my mom gave me some freedom on how to do my hair, I got braids in the 5th grade (I wanted to be like my sister lol):) . And I do agree braids are more suitable for little girls but, I wouldn't go crazy with the length you know keep it simple. I hate seeing lil babies that can barely hold they heads up because, they have about 2lbs of extensions in their hair (especially invisible braids:mad: ). I always wanted to try a weave when I was younger but, my mom always said no, and I am soooo thankful for that because weaves can be the devil if not done correctly. I believe I have my first weave for my senior prom. And after that I'd just get it braided when I got tired of it. I had my first sew in since prom a few months back and it was a good experience. I think as we age and accumulate knowledge about our hair, we can experiment and try new things. Okay I went off on a tangent. But bottom line lil girls with weave...NO. :ohwell:

glamazon386

tru_mind said:
When I saw KeKe Palmer (from Akeelah and The Bee) on Oprah I was too shocked to see a weave in her hair.

I know that she had braids(weave) in the movie, but braids fit little girls...but only if they aren't too heavy and too long.

After viewing her site I see that she has had braids for years now...I believe that she is only 11 or 12 yrs old. I know that she looks older...but she's still 11 or 12.

I'm guessing that her natural hair is in bad shape which is why she wears weave...but I'm not sure that wearing weave all the time helps.

She hosted the monday night line up on UPN one week and she had a weave then as well. Also, she could just be wearing a weave as a styling option. Or she could be trying to give her hair a rest from daily styling or to let it grow out. Just because she has a weave doesn't neccesarily mean her own hair is in bad shape. I do think that style is a bit grown for an 11 or 12 year old though. T

Last edited:

Denim And Leather

tru_mind said:

Her hair doesn't look like a weave to me. Am I missing something?

Denim And Leather

WomanlyCharm said:
I hate to hear these kinds of stories!!! :mad:

I feel terrible for the little girls that has no say in the matter...just because their mothers are too pigheaded to see the truth, their hair health is shot.

My sentiments, exactly.

My older sister put a relaxer for the first time in her daughter's hair last year (who's 11), and now her hair broke off so much that she can't even put it in a ponytail! :mad: :( My poor niece didn't even want to go to school because of this. I totally remember this feeling, and it makes me sad. This also makes me pretty upset with my sister, who should have known better than to put a relaxer in her daughter's hair, at such a young age at that, if she wasn't prepared to care for it properly (since we went through the same thing with our mother.)

neonbright

Normally my daughters hair is some puf, ponytail style just like in the avatar. But during the summer I have done the corn roll thing, first time without any hair, but her hair is so soft, it didn't last 3 days, so then we added cheap .99 cent hair and it lasted 2 1/2 weeks. But I just have the lenght a few inches longer than her hair. So for all those ladies who do not like it when I do this with my daughters hair, she likes it and it is too cute. And I can get my money's worth for 3 weeks now. Oh and the person who does her hair does not braid it tight and if she did believe me my daught will not let her do her hair.

I took her to a dentist once and still to this day she will not go to his office, so I drive 45 minutes out of my way to take her to another dentist she likes, oh yeah she is 5.

Last edited:

rosalindb

I absolutely hate to see fake hair on children. Thank heavens my mother never did that to me and my hair was only just past shoulder length. The first time I had braid extensions I was 26 :)

Mothers are putting bra-strap/waist length extensionsand weaves in their childrens hair when the hair is not even shoulder length. In addition the extensions are normally straight or wavy so this further perpetuates the good hair/bad hair mentality.

On another board, someone posted about their 4 year old neice. Her sister in law constantly weaves her daughter's hair. As soon as her hair is redone, her mother states "NOW, your hair is pretty" This only leads the child and others to believe that their hair is not good enough.

I have seen about 3 or 4 girls with their own hair in afro puffs over the last few months and have nearly broke my neck whipping my head around to do a double take as I was in shock. Then again natural is in fashion at the moment as I see alot of ladies with perms adding afro-puffs to their hair.