I have a question about hair weaves?

Kiadodie

Hey guys, I need your opinion on this. I am thinking about getting a weave (extensions) in my hair. I got an awful haircut and I need to grow it out but I HATE looking at it. Anyway, my cousin has hair sewed in while her real hair is braidede beneath.
I'm not familiar with weaves so I wanted opinions. Is this damaging to your own hair (to leave it braided? Like I said, it'll be sewed in and my real hair will be braided so you can't see it.
Any opinions/suggestions are appreciated /images/graemlins/smile.gif

G

I had some sewn in ones for 3 weeks, and though it wasn't in a very long time, I got so much growth out of it that it wasn't even funny.

Just some advice, go to someone that you trust. They should never do the cornrows too tight, because you want to be comfortable, and also, you want it to be versatile, unless you're just wearing it the same way.

And most importantly, BUY A GOOD GRADE OF HAIR!!!!! That is why I ended up taking them out that soon, because the hair constantly tangled and gave me grief.

yvette

Kia, I was sporting sewn in weave for almost a year. It is ALOT better for your hair than doing the glue thing. Of course, it is more expensive as well. For me, just knowing that my hair was not being tampered with and growing was a peace of mind. The main thing that I would recommend is, using activator to keep your hair that is braided from being too dry. Also, if decide to wear sewn in for a while, you have to get it redone every 4-8 weeks, depending on the style, how you wear the hair etc. Personally, my scalp couldn't go much longer than 5 weeks, so I had mine done quite frequently. Also, when you have the hair taken out, make sure that you do a deep, deep, deep, deep conditioning on your hair before you have the new hair put in. Also, make sure that the person sewinng does not do it too tight, or lese you will lose hair.

Ok, the results that I got made it worth it. My hair was really short, probably about 2 inches long in the front and sides and about an inch in the back (I'm estimating). My hair now touches my shoulders. I wish I had taken some before and after pics, but take my word for it, it can grow and thicken your hair, if you are consistent and take proper care of your hair.

elite_chiq

man now yall got me considering weave /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

--edit--

yvette did it take a yr to get your hair to your shoulders?

Kiadodie

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
yvette said:
The main thing that I would recommend is, using activator to keep your hair that is braided from being too dry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Yvette. Ok, I have a few more questions..

1. You said use activator to keep the braided hair moist...what kind of activator?
2. How did you keep your real hair clean? (I'm assuming you can't wash it since it's braided so how would I keep it clean?)

Thanks again /images/graemlins/wave.gif

candycane

Actually you can wash it almost like you would wash your own hair. You just won't be able to manipulate your scalp due to the braids. When I wore a weave, the stylist I went to suggested placing the shampoo directly on my dry scalp and massaging it between the braids, then she recommended getting into the shower and letting the shower rinse my hair. You will need to lift the hair so you can properly remove all of the shampoo. I did not do deep conditions, because I was concerned about product build up, however I ALWAYS sprayed a leave-in on my natural hair (the braided parts as well as the hair that was not weaved)

Hope that helps.

Candycane

ngaa

i had a weave in last summer and i must say that i fell in love wit them!! I got over 1.5 inches of growth in less than a month which is highly irregular 4 me...one thing i know better to do next time tho, deep condition b4 and after the weave and make sure that yo hair's moisturised else u'll only lose hair /images/graemlins/whyme.gif which defeats the whole purpose of gettin them in the first place

ngaa /images/graemlins/drunk.gif hth

Kiadodie

Thanks to all of you for your input /images/graemlins/smile.gif.
I'm going to try it this Thurs. and see how I like it. Hopefully it will look decent. /images/graemlins/up.gif

Kitkat

Yvette, that's incredible growth! Congratulations! You should definitely post some before and after pics, if you can find any from when your hair was short. That's hair inspiration, girl!! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

free2bme

Weaves rock!!! I use sewed in weave to grow my hair from about 1.5 inches to barely brushing my shoulders. It took me exactly one year to do it. It's been 5 months since I've been out of the weave and my hair is comfortably on my shoulders (I've been trimming agressively) I'm still very tempted to get a weave again. It so much easier to maintain than your real hair and you rarely have bad hair days.

auntybe

I love wear weaves! I have worn glued in tracks (not good) and a sew-in. I have gotten a lot of growth and a lot more thickness. They are good for giving your hair a break from daily manipulation. Just take care of your hair under the tracks.

MissM

Kia, I've been thinking of getting a hair weave also. But I have a question about relaxers while you are wearing the weave. Can you get your normal relaxers? Like have the weave taken out, you touch up done and then put it right back in? Or do you have to wait a week or so to put your weave back in after the relaxer?

I'm also glad someone asked the question about washing your real hair, and I'm glad that I'll be able to wash it myself. But if anyone could answer the relaxer question I would appreciate it.

Ebony

i've been wearing a full head weave every summer for the past four years mainly because i travel alot in the summertime. i wear it for 3-4 months, but unless you are knowledgeable, only wear it for 3 months max. it should be resewn/tightened every six weeks. actually get a relaxer/texturizer at least 2 weeks beforehand depending upon how thick/thin your hair is. my weave is a full head, sewn in with a net covering my braided hair, and it's braided loosely. i rinse my scalp every week for the first month with acv and or seabreeze, and moisturize with vit e or natural oils only with my bottle i carry around throughout the day. natural only because i want the best applied to my scalp. my hair also likes creams so i'll mix my natural oils with ORS carrot oil because it's more like a cream than an oil. as my weave loosens and the initial tightness subsides, i can actually get to my scalp to wash it lightly every week or two. try to get hair that your own hair will blend with nicely. no one can ever tell that i have a weave...i love that! if you're wearing weaves, taking them out and putting them back in...you're more or less using the HAIR LADY's method...i would suggest giving your hair a break for 3 wks-1 mth if possible, before re-weaving. i find the weave for me is the fastest method of hair growth, especially since the front of my hairline is not strong enough for box braids, but don't be fooled. weaves do cause some stress on the hair. depending on your care while it's in, the weight of the weave can stress your hair, and also consider the condition of your scalp. i have friends who couldn't wear a weave for more than 2 weeks because of their scalp conditions. i'm gonna put up the same weave pics that were in my signature on the old hair board by tomorrow. hopefully i will have time to load regular pics to my server this week.