update! bunning aint no joke!

choconillaprincess

thanks everyone!

greenandchic i detangle pretty much every cowash... i finger detangle and i just try to make sure i keep all of my hair going in the same direction like i put it in my bun

ONAMSHN i seal with castor oil and olive oil mixed or sometimes coconut oil

missliberia omg i was the same way forever but since bunning is a job requirement for me (military)i had to suck it up lol... but i take it down in the evenings and wear it pretty loose

DominicanBrazilian82

This has been my reggie for the last two weeks. Co-wash either at night or in the morning, pull it all back and BUN! Aside for rollersets and wet wraps, bunning is my go-to style for everyday :)

Miss*Tress

I wish my hair could stand daily cowashing but that ended up being too much manipulation for me with all the finger detangling. Glad it works for you.
Same here - can't do the daily cowashing. I'm really impressed with the results. Congratulations to OP on the great progress.

Baggettcindy

i this is the only time ive straightened this year so normally its in its natural state

i cowash every morning after workout
seal
and wet bun (just do one of those lil loopy things)

i let it loose for a couple hours in the evening
then do a loose bun or puff
moisturize and seal if needed
and throw a baggy over it for bed

its almost always damp

This is pretty much what I do to my hair. I plan to straighten it in Dec for Christmas. I think it will only be the second time I've straightened it this year.

LadyPBC

I can't see your pictures but I believe that congratulations are in order!

WARNING UNPOPULAR POST*****************
I know you're all going to yell at me for this but ... isn't it easier to grow your hair when its less coily or when you have a straighter texture? Everyone I know with type 2 or type 3 hair gets length seemingly quickly and effortlessly. I have type 4 hair and I can't just co-wash, seal and throw a tie on my hair. I'd have to comb/brush through the tangles, mold it down to my head, tie it up etc. No disrespect to the original poster because I celebrate your success! Having said that - when I find an easier, less painful way to do so I want to bun more since I try to work out several days a week.

Simply_elle

LadyPBC said:

I know you're all going to yell at me for this but ... isn't it easier to grow your hair when its less coily or when you have a straighter texture? Everyone I know with type 2 or type 3 hair gets length seemingly quickly and effortlessly. I have type 4 hair and I can't just co-wash, seal and throw a tie on my hair. I'd have to comb/brush through the tangles, mold it down to my head, tie it up etc. No disrespect to the original poster because I celebrate your success! Having said that - when I find an easier, less painful way to do so I want to bun more since I try to work out several days a week.

Type 3c/4a/4b here, I bun with no effort. Finger comb I rake my leave in the shower. Seal with JBCO or my oyin pomade, you have to style with very damp hair and not let your hair get too dry. Eco styler for smoothing, a real silk scarf to set...It's simply one of those things that gets easier with time. :yep:

Sent from my Exxotical iPhone using LHCF

Miss AJ

There ARE type 4's who CAN do that though. It's not about the texture that determines effortless growth, its finding what works for YOUR hair and sticking with it.

itismehmmkay

I love it! I CAN'T wait until my hair can fit into a bun! :lol: Really that's all I want long hair for...the easy-manipulation/maintenance styles.

lamaria211

this is why i texlaxed there was no cowashing and wet bunning for me even with apl hair it was just not happening. my hair is about a 4c extremely coarse now i cw every other day and bun:grin:

Dominican09

LadyPBC,
I know exactly what you mean. If I was to do her regimen my hair would be a tangle mess and breakage hell :lol:...so don't feel bad to think that way.

choconillaprincess

i can't speak on the texture thing cuz i only know what works for me but my hair really likes the frequent cowashes and when i cowash twists/braids they start unraveling and getting tangled so the bunning thing is an awesome solution... i do have to keep up with the finger detangling on a daily basis as a preventative measure... i do get pretty nasty SSKs though

also this is the most growth retention I've had and i attribute it more to the fact that buns allow it to stay damp than the buns themselves... i think any protective style would work really

southerncitygirl

choconcillaprincess

i'm glad this worked for you, consistent bunning would jack my hair up as my edges are naturally finer than the rest of my hair. this would be an issue even if i smoothed with my hands as opposed to a brush or comb.

your hair looks so thick and healthy! its great that your job isn't wrecking havoc on your hair and is helping it flourish.

Simply_elle

choconillaprincess said:
i can't speak on the texture thing cuz i only know what works for me but my hair really likes the frequent cowashes and when i cowash twists/braids they start unraveling and getting tangled so the bunning thing is an awesome solution... i do have to keep up with the finger detangling on a daily basis as a preventative measure... i do get pretty nasty SSKs though

also this is the most growth retention I've had and i attribute it more to the fact that buns allow it to stay damp than the buns themselves... i think any protective style would work really

I get them awful too, do you trim frequently??? Sorry so many ??'s any pictures of your bun styles??? I wish I could mention from my phone :(

Sent from my Exxotical iPhone using LHCF

LadyPBC

It would be nice to hear from the many type 4s (shoulder length) who can accomplish this feat. Can't wait to get home to see your pictures Choconillaprincess!

LadyPBC

this is why i texlaxed there was no cowashing and wet bunning for me even with apl hair it was just not happening. my hair is about a 4c extremely coarse now i cw every other day and bun:grin:

lamaria211 - someone mentioned to me that texlaxing or texturizing only works well on short hair. I thought it would be easier on my hair since I try to work out on the regular (operative work being TRY:lachen:)!

koolkittychick

Dang! Imma have to step up my bun game, 'cause that's some progress right there!! :yep: I wish I could have made that kind of progress--I probably could have if I had kept up with the extra moisturizing schedule I need for my relaxed tresses. You have inspired me to redouble my efforts and make a final push for the end of the year to get that last inch and a half of the four I was going for this year. Congrats on your progress girl; your hair is the bomb and I love the color! :grin:

lamaria211

lamaria211 - someone mentioned to me that texlaxing or texturizing only works well on short hair. I thought it would be easier on my hair since I try to work out on the regular (operative work being TRY:lachen:)!

Texlaxing has been wonderful for me I'm very happy I did it and I'm happy that I waited til I was apl and able to make a half way decent bun, I've cut off about 2" since but I still have enough hair to style