Twist for Growth Challenge (Fall 2011)

So I've finally gotten all my twists out (I really hate takedowns) and did a cursory finger detangle as I went along. I spent one month in those twists. I originally wanted to wash, dc, and retwist as I went but most of my twists were somewhat intertwined at the bases with other twists which I think comes from just grabbing and twisting. I think my next set may include some flat twisting. Will hopefully be back within the next two days with a new set after my washing process.

I did the braided twists this week and I obviously don't know what I'm doing. Its the 4th day and the braided section won't lay flat. It sticks up in the air just like my braids did when I was a kid :lol: I've tied it down, wore a cap, pulled it back with a barrette and its still sticking up.

:lachen::lachen::lachen: I tried the braided roots once. And let's say it wasn't too pretty. :look:

I'm taking my twists out tomorrow! Or tonight. :look: I'm so excited. I miss my hair. Gonna wear it out for a couple days Then it's going right back in twists. I'm thinking if I should wash it then wear it out, or wear it out 'dirty'. We'll see.

My head was starting to itch, so I took the twists out and washed yesterday. I'm going to start putting in another set tonight. I may be rocking a head wrap tomorrow if I don't finish these tonight.

Just took the twists out.

01ece5e0.jpg

ea45be0b.jpg

It's only been a few weeks. But I got more hangtime/length than I did before. Or it could be all in my head. When DH gets home I'm gonna have him pull some hair and see where my hair falls so I can take a pic.

My latest medium-thick twists:

DSC01698-vi.jpg

DSC01690-vi.jpg

DSC01699-vi.jpg

My hair looks drier than usual. I tried a new butter and it does not agree with my hair. :( I can't wait to redo these so they are shinier and softer.

:curtain: So what had happened was...the detangling of the mini twists took close to four hours..? :duck: whew, then washing was a pain. Put in chunky twists that I will pin up tomorrow. Good news was that I tried Shea Moisture's Restorative Conditioner and I like it! It doesn't have that coconut hibiscus smell so that helps. Will def have pics tomorrow. Must recover (and study :look:)

My latest medium-thick twists:

My hair looks drier than usual. I tried a new butter and it does not agree with my hair. :( I can't wait to redo these so they are shinier and softer.

You could have at least warned me to sit down. I almost passed out and fell down :lol:

I got my first ever hair compliments the other day! I was walking through the Bath & Body Works and this lady says how much she loves my twists. I was like :blush:. Then it happened again at work the next day with another lady coming in and telling me how cute she thought my hair was. I don't know what was up with these ladies 'cause you could've called me "Fuzzy Wuzzy" the last few days.

I took my twists down tonight so i can do a twist out for work tomorrow and Friday. I have to say that after about 11 days in twists, my hair still feels as soft and silky as the first day. I love the twist out that I ended up with. I'm getting used to having them in and am now even looking forward to twisting my hair again this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20111005_193744.jpg
    IMG_20111005_193744.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20111005_194153.jpg
    IMG_20111005_194153.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 60
I got my first ever hair compliments the other day! I was walking through the Bath & Body Works and this lady says how much she loves my twists. I was like :blush:. Then it happened again at work the next day with another lady coming in and telling me how cute she thought my hair was. I don't know what was up with these ladies 'cause you could've called me "Fuzzy Wuzzy" the last few days.

I took my twists down tonight so i can do a twist out for work tomorrow and Friday. I have to say that after about 11 days in twists, my hair still feels as soft and silky as the first day. I love the twist out that I ended up with. I'm getting used to having them in and am now even looking forward to twisting my hair again this weekend.

Glad you had such positive experiences with your twist. :yep:

I can officially pull all of my twists back into my banana clip bun. I don't see my hair growing but I don't think I could do that at the beginning of September. My little bun in the back is small maybe 1.5" but I'm working with what I have to keep my ends tucked under.

I have started replacing my braided twists with 2 strand twists because I want take down to be fast. I can take down my 2 strand twists in about 15 to 20 minutes. I won't be doing braided twists again any time soon :lol:

And still moisturizing and sometimes sealing my ends to see if I can make them happy.

I think I am going to try bigger twists this weekend since I am pulling them back into a bun anyway.

Getting tired of twists already and frustrated :sad:. Mini-twists looked better up IMO and medium twists look better down. I have my medium twists pulled into a bun right know and I think I look a hot mess and its only been 1 week :nono:Mini twists lasted 4 weeks but were straight hail taking down! I don't want to take my hair down so soon but it looks like I have no choice :nono:!

[USER=162028 said:
ecadnacmc[/USER];14368761]Getting tired of twists already and frustrated :sad:. Mini-twists looked better up IMO and medium twists look better down. I have my medium twists pulled into a bun right know and I think I look a hot mess and its only been 1 week :nono:Mini twists lasted 4 weeks but were straight hail taking down! I don't want to take my hair down so soon but it looiks like I have no choice :nono:!

What made taking your mini-twists down so hard?

Maybe you can do a twisted updo with your medium twists so its more stylish than a bun. Would that work?

Getting so many compliments on my twistout today.:grin: My hair is soft and mositurized and just as defined as yesterday. Gonna rock it one more day then retwisting on Saturday night.

Getting tired of twists already and frustrated :sad:. Mini-twists looked better up IMO and medium twists look better down. I have my medium twists pulled into a bun right know and I think I look a hot mess and its only been 1 week :nono:Mini twists lasted 4 weeks but were straight hail taking down! I don't want to take my hair down so soon but it looiks like I have no choice :nono:!

Why were your mini twists hard to take out?

It usually takes me a while to take mine out, but the task is pretty easy.

Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H-LoQKxuWQ&feature=channel_video_title

took my twists out last night...they werent even a week old and they looked about a month lol...it was the size. i slapped some oil and let it marinate under plastic over night, then rinsed and.conditioned...then i did 2 flattwists in the shower. i like doing these under the running water because it helps ease the process....will keep this for a week then back to regular, two strands.

Last edited:
faithVA
ladykpnyc
I left them in for 1 month and tried to wear a twist out for one day but it just looked like even smaller mini twists so I pinned my hair up. I finger detangled for a while with oil then I switched to conditioner and that speed things up. I think it mainly took so long because I also henna'd overnight, followed by indigo on grays only and then DC'd, then re-twisted. I took me at least three hours to detangle though. I twirled each strand of the double twist before twisting with the mini twists. I thought this would make take down easier but I think it made it worst.

faithVA
I subscribe to naptural85 so I've seen this video before, but thanks. I watched it again and I think the problem is that even though I made sure to keep my twists separate while twisting my ends still became tangled, probably due to length of time I kept them in.

~Joining~

Your go to twist style (alternatively braid style)
2-strand twists

Your twist care regimen
Twist on Air-Dried (moisturized) semi-stretched hair
CO-Wash once a week or every other week
Moisturize/Seal often

Cover hair up at night with a satin bonnet

What you hope to achieve by December
Longer hair (solid WL)

Will post starting pix after I’m done twisting my hair up over the weekend!

Not even going to waste yall time. Pinned up my chunky twists today and got compliments. These are NOT worth taking pics of lol. Glad everyone's doing well :)

What made taking your mini-twists down so hard?

Maybe you can do a twisted updo with your medium twists so its more stylish than a bun. Would that work?
For me, mini twists exacerbate my hair's tendency of all the strands wanting to be married to each other. I took my twists down that had been in for a month. I retwisted them 2-3 times thinking that it would keep my hair from going into semi-lock mode by the time I took them down. Made no difference. So as much as I love my twists, I really need to leave the minis alone.

Last edited:
For me, mini twists exacerbate my hair's tendency of all the strands wanting to be married to each other.
I can completely understand this. I started to install mini-twists this week but thought better of it for just this reason. My hair does better with medium-sized twists. I took them out and am putting in medium ones today.

Took my twists out yesterday and had the best twist out of my life for the first time. This is the first time that I didn't have to pin pieces up or wear a headband. And I actually had the hair in the front hang. Now, just wanting a little more length in the back to hang a bit more. But overall I'm pleased. Just put on my bonnet last night and ready for day 2.

The thing that I love about my hair is that it can hold a twist out for days.

putting in a set of small, not mini twists. 2 hours later I half way done and taking a break.

i did a bentonite clay wash last night (a terresentials knockoff) washed 3 times as if doing the detox and wowzers, I actually left a section of my hair without DC and I really cant tell the difference.

my hair today is so moisurized Im only twisting with my kimmaytube leave in (made with darcys pumpkin condish, aloevera juice and malnut/apricot oil mix) ........ juicy !!!!!

Ill add a pic once Im done.

Back