Twist for Growth Challenge (Fall 2011)

I kinda miss my hair being out and since this challenge started I have not worn a twistout. I'm going to have to wear one this week or next.

I thought I would let my twist hang this week but I have already cornrowed the front and pulled the back twists into banana clip bun. I think this is it for the week.

Calling all challengers, I would like out to know who usually blow dry their hair prior to twisting ??? I really need to know any pros and cons, hot or cold air etc etc..

I don't blow dry, but I do twist on dry hair. I wash and deep condition the day, put my hair in some big twists, then twist the next day on dry hair. I get a lot of length when I do it that way...hth!

Hola Ladies!

I have to say that you ladies are giving me the help that I need to keep my hands out of my hair and leave the twists alone. I am SO used to doing my hair that I'm going through withdrawal. Seeing all the wonderful twists that ya'll have done is my only salvation.

Anywho...I still have my twists in from last week and I am so proud of myself. I undid one or two and I'll be darned, those things are still moist and silky. Gonna take down on Thursday and will take pics of what the twistout looks like.

I'm going to have to stay strong 'cause I am itching to flat iron.

**Question: What is this Mud stuff that I keep reading about?**

Still twisted up ladies! :grin:

I DC'd overnight on dry hair with AO GBP and boy were my twists silky. Even after I washed with my dandruff shampoo my hair was STILL soft :yep: I will be doing this weekly.

Oh and was looking through my old Fotki album. Here's a twist blast from the past. Location: Somewhere on the Aegean Sea.

Greece20218-vi.jpg

Miss the color but not the damage that resulted from it. Sigh

Still wearing my twists from last week but they're getting fuzzy so I may twist a few tonight. I plan to wash condition and retwist this weekend.

Calling all challengers, I would like out to know who usually blow dry their hair prior to twisting ??? I really need to know any pros and cons, hot or cold air etc etc..

I don't, but I may in the future

Planning on cowashing my twists tonight.
I ordered Grow Afro Hair Long detangler and plan on using that on my twists.

I had the sample a long time ago and liked it.

Today makes week 2 of these mini twists and they are officially fuzzy.
I will get at least another week out of them, then will rock a twistout for a few days before redoing a new set.

Just dusted the ends of my twists. They feel soooo much better. I feel like taking them out, I think I will on Thursday night and wear a twistout Friday and Saturday. Then Sunday retwist.

[USER=253198 said:
Kenny-Ann[/USER];14350343]

**Question: What is this Mud stuff that I keep reading about?**

Its probably the Terresentials mud wash or a version of it using Bentonite Clay. Several members are using it in place of other shampoos.

I'm ready to kick these mini-twists to the curb! I pulled out a shed hair and it had a mid-shaft split and I have seen these before in my hair :sad: I don't get it. Only blow-dried once in my natural life thus far and thought I was doing so well. Ah well, the thickness will hide the damage until I am on a good dusting schedule that rids me of the splits/ssks.

The thought of taking these down and detangling my hair is scaring me...it took soo long last time. Any advice on the best way to detangle and take down small twists, ladies? TIA

I'm ready to kick these mini-twists to the curb! I pulled out a shed hair and it had a mid-shaft split and I have seen these before in my hair :sad: I don't get it. Only blow-dried once in my natural life thus far and thought I was doing so well. Ah well, the thickness will hide the damage until I am on a good dusting schedule that rids me of the splits/ssks.

The thought of taking these down and detangling my hair is scaring me...it took soo long last time. Any advice on the best way to detangle and take down small twists, ladies? TIA

I usually separate the twist into 6 sections and apply some oil to the twists. I can usually separate my twist by just dragging my finger down the twists while unraveling it at the bottom if that makes sense. So taking them down is pretty quick.

I then remove the shed hairs from the section by sort of stretching the hair. I don't get it all but enough. After that I mist it with water and put on a plastic cap and hit under a heat cap which starts to soften the hair. I can usually detangle at this point.

mmmmmm...just dc'ed my twists with aubrey organics white camellia. did it on dry hair and boy did my hair feel gooooood. i did a castor oil rinse (which i put on before rinsing the conditioner) and it felt even better. yum yum.

i had just dc'ed on friday night into saturday...but i'm glad i did it again haha

Twisted my hair over the weekend. I clarified with Joico chelating poo, did my aphogee 2-step, followed up with AO WC mixed with Sitrinillah and Humectress as a DC, then twisted. It's been so long, and I have to take breaks because of my CTS, so it was genuinely a full day process.

Decided tonight that I desperately needed a trim :look:, so I cut an inch off all the twists. My hair curls up so doggone much you can barely tell, but they feel so much better! Hair was feeling dry so I spritzed with my homemade spritz and followed up with homemade oil/butter blend. Wrapped those girls up and heading to bed :yep:.

I'll get pics taken and up this week.

Took down mini twists and it took forever. Won't be doing those again anytime soon. Re-twisted doing medium sized twists. Pics attacheduploadfromtaptalk1317704041812.jpg

Took down mini twists and it took forever. Won't be doing those again anytime soon. Re-twisted doing medium sized twists. Pics attachedView attachment 125953

Nice big twists.

My mini twists took forever to take out too. Some were pretty loc'd up lol

I just took 2 minis and combined them into one bigger twist but I don't like the way they hang as much. But for now just pinned it up and kept it moving. Bigger twists will look better when my hair is longer

NaijaNaps, I keep my twists pinned up all the time unless at home. They look took thin to me when I mini twist, plus I don't feel like they look professional enough for work down, and they brush my shoulders down and I constantly worry about breakage. So it's twists in buns for me.

NaijaNaps, I keep my twists pinned up all the time unless at home. They look took thin to me when I mini twist, plus I don't feel like they look professional enough for work down, and they brush my shoulders down and I constantly worry about breakage. So it's twists in buns for me.

I think my mini twists look fuller. They have more body and I think more styling options.

But I feel you on pinning them up for work. I usually do this plus it's protective styling so it's a win-win.

When I do wear them down it's usually in a curly style I achieve from flat-twisting the twists an taking them down for a curly bob effect. Will try with rods once I get more length :)

Kept the last set of twists in for 12 days. Washed and retwisted yesterday, their a little thicker than usual will see how long they last.

Ladies you are doing fantastic with your twists and your updates. Thank you and keep them coming. :yep:

I'm gonna make my twists bigger next week. Here's my hair today.

Attachments

• P1010851.jpg
    P1010851.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 75
  • P1010852.jpg
    P1010852.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 72
  • P1010855.jpg
    P1010855.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 71
Finished this weeks twists and they are up in a pony with the tail tucked under. My hair is really loving this twist schedule :)

Took down my mini twists. Got some conditioner on them and then will detangle. Seems like it will be a piece of cake! Will take pictures later after I re-twist.

Last edited:
I did the braided twists this week and I obviously don't know what I'm doing. Its the 4th day and the braided section won't lay flat. It sticks up in the air just like my braids did when I was a kid :lol: I've tied it down, wore a cap, pulled it back with a barrette and its still sticking up.

My verdict so far is that in certain areas my hair is so soft that the braided twists last the same amount of time as a regular twist... about 3 days before they start to slip and get really loose. I think it is because I put oils and butters on my hair. But I'm not getting ready to give up oils and butters anytime soon so going to go back to the twist next week.

Back