Twist for Growth Challenge (Fall 2011)

faithVA

Yep, I seal just about every other day. And retwist as I find loose ones. I still get the tangles even with the ones that have remained twisted the entire time.

Not sure of the cause of that. Maybe your shed hairs slide to your ends and tangle. Maybe you can pull on the twist the length of the twist to release them. Can't think of anything else that would make them tangle.

ladykpnyc

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it when I remove them next weekend.

If you are doing mini twists, tangles after you unravel are inevitable. To avoid this, you can make your twists larger...or simply take your time detangling when you are ready to wash and retwist.

faithVA

Took out my flat twists and getting ready to do a HOT and scalp massage but won't wash my hair until tomorrow.

-PYT

pookaloo83 I tried to ONLY wash my scalp since I was afraid of unraveling the twists. It looks good in pictures but baaaby when I tell you these thangs shrunk, they SHRUNK lol. I did nothing to stretch them though so oh well. I squeezed some conditioner through the twists but they remained neat for the most part

Ronnieaj

My I join ladies :grin:?

Your go to twist style (alternatively braid style)
--2 strand twists, maybe some flat twists or 3-strands on occasion.

Your twist care regimen--I'm HOPING this will work. Wash with poo on week one, twist hair. Once a week do ayurvedic tea rinse on twists followed by co-wash, moisture DC, condition and seal. Every three weeks remove twists, wash with poo and mild protein DC (AO GPB), and retwist. I have carpal tunnel in both wrists so minimize the number of times I twist is important.
Keep hair up at all times.

What you hope to achieve by December--I've twisted exclusively before with good results. I'd like to minimize the frequency of SSKs, which I dealt with a lot before. I'm going to employ heavy sealing on the ends, which I hope will help.

Anything else you would like to share.--Now that my hair's longer, I'd like to play around with more styles. Also, I've found that, since my hair is wondrously thick, that a THOROUGH detangling is very necessary to prevent shed hairs from getting trapped and causing their own set of problems.

faithVA

[USER=124021 said:
Ronnieaj[/USER];14335107]My I join ladies :grin:?

Your go to twist style (alternatively braid style)--2 strand twists, maybe some flat twists or 3-strands on occasion.

Your twist care regimen--I'm HOPING this will work. Wash with poo on week one, twist hair. Once a week do ayurvedic tea rinse on twists followed by co-wash, moisture DC, condition and seal. Every three weeks remove twists, wash with poo and mild protein DC (AO GPB), and retwist. I have carpal tunnel in both wrists so minimize the number of times I twist is important. Keep hair up at all times.

What you hope to achieve by December--I've twisted exclusively before with good results. I'd like to minimize the frequency of SSKs, which I dealt with a lot before. I'm going to employ heavy sealing on the ends, which I hope will help.

Anything else you would like to share.--Now that my hair's longer, I'd like to play around with more styles. Also, I've found that, since my hair is wondrously thick, that a THOROUGH detangling is very necessary to prevent shed hairs from getting trapped and causing their own set of problems.

Welcome to the challenge. Looking forward to seeing those styles :yep:

faithVA

Ladies if I haven't added your name to the challenge please let me know. I have been trying to keep up, but could easily have missed 1 or 2.

faithVA

Took my twist out last night. Tonight DCd on dry hair (trying something new), put mud wash on my roots, cowashed with Zuresh Conditioner and steamed for 20 minutes. Then applied AVG, shea butter to my ends, Zuresh Leave-In, Oil blend and twisted it up to air dry.

Planning on trying my first set of braided twists tomorrow. I hope to at least get 1/2 of my hair done and then finish the rest up on Sunday.

youwillrise

sooooo...

i just watched some videos on rope twisting and i think i want to try it this time!

it looks so much neater and seems like it'll last longer than regular two strands.

i hope i'll be able to do it right.

i'll rinse the conditioner from my hair soon, so i can let it start to air dry. i may start the twists tonight if my hair dries enough...if not, i'll just wait until tomorrow morning.

lolascurls

Almost time for bed but I thought I'd pop in for quick update.
Been wearing medium sized twists in my hair and re-doing the hairline in flat twisted styles.
I redid the front yesterday and now it's SO FRESH.
CO-wash once or twice a week, then re-do the twists that are obvious at the front.
Twists all pulled back in loose bun that I baggy nightly.:yawn:

faithVA

So I switched up a lot this week. DCd on dry hair, cowashed, steamed, applied stuff, twisted my hair and let it air dry overnight. I usually twist my hair damp because I just want to be finished. Today I put AVG on my ends, Joie gel on my hair and tried a braided twists.

While I was doing it I didn't think I was going to like it but I think it may work. But my hair is so soft, I don't think these are going to last any longer than my twists. And I don't think I can wash in these either :nono:

Next time I will try them on damp hair. The stretched hair is too straight and too soft and I don't think it will hold. But fortunately it didn't take me any longer to put these in than my twists. But taking them out, yeah that's going to take longer. Hope its worth it.

My camera is on the blink so will borrow my moms and take some pictures.

Imani

I'm twisting my hair next weekend. Think I'm going to twist on wet hair without stretching it out first. It may shrink up more, but it will be fuller.

eta: oh and i'm going to use kccc to see if it helps w/frizz.

Last edited:

Krystle~Hime

Calling all challengers, I would like out to know who usually blow dry their hair prior to twisting ??? I really need to know any pros and cons, hot or cold air etc etc..

faithVA

I'm twisting my hair next weekend. Think I'm going to twist on wet hair without stretching it out first. It may shrink up more, but it will be fuller.

Can't wait to see if. I agree it will be fuller. I twisted mine on stretched air dried hair. I am hoping they puff up more in the next few days. Its definitely a trade off.

faithVA

Calling all challengers, I would like out to know who usually blow dry their hair prior to twisting ??? I really need to know any pros and cons, hot or cold air etc etc..

Not I! My ends are dry enough. I could just kiss them goodbye if I put heat on them. :nono:

Imani

Can't wait to see if. I agree it will be fuller. I twisted mine on stretched air dried hair. I am hoping they puff up more in the next few days. Its definitely a trade off.

Try not to put a lot of product on them and don't tie them down too tight at night or else they'll get flat. I also kept spraying water on mine to make them plump up and make the ends curl. I really do wish I had thicker hair, but I just try to work with what i got.

And even when I did stretch/air dry first, I still sprayed water on them before I twisted, so my hair was at least damp while I was twisting.

faithVA

Try not to put a lot of product on them and don't tie them down too tight at night or else they'll get flat. I also kept spraying water on mine to make them plump up and make the ends curl. I really do wish I had thicker hair, but I just try to work with what i got.

And even when I did stretch/air dry first, I still sprayed water on them before I twisted, so my hair was at least damp while I was twisting.

That's funny. Our hair total opposites. Gel is the only thing that makes my hair plump up so I use quite a few products to make it plump up as well as to keep it together. And water is a :nono: no matter what type (distilled, filtered). Water makes my roots unravel and they get dry and hard.

The twist I have now will not see water until wash day :lol:

faithVA

I've heard blowdrying hair with cold air doesn't damage hair.

Just talking about my hair. I tried drying my hair in April with cool air and it was just a brillo pad.

I think there was a blow drying thread though that might have some better info.

pookaloo83

Krystle~Hime I used to blowdry before twisting on low heat. My ends were dry, but I liked that it was stretched. I had to stop doing that because I ended up having broken hairs everywhere. So I stopped. You could probably get the same results on cool, but it will take longer for it to dry.

SimJam

I have been (well my stylist has been) whenever I get my hair done there (every 2 weeks) and it took me a whole year to figure out that the heat and my coloured ends were not getting along.

my hair was blow dried on high heat, with a heat protectant. :blush:

anyhoo for the last 2 months I've cut down the blow drying to once a month, but I think Im gonna join that no heat for 2012, and I'll be prepping myself by gradually cutting out heat :yep:

coming up to one month without heat (apart from steaming) on 8 October hoping to make a difference with this new regimen:drunk:

SimJam

new twists for the week. Im so proud of them :grin:

I got them so neat this time and only a few cockeyed ones

washed hennad steamed and twisted with Oyin hair dew.

Oh and I tried the castor oil on my wet ends as soon as I was done rinsing out my DC :lick: its a keeper !!!!!!

Attachments

• DSC02022.jpg
    DSC02022.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC02021.jpg
    DSC02021.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 55

faithVA

new twists for the week. Im so proud of them :grin:

I got them so neat this time and only a few cockeyed ones

washed hennad steamed and twisted with Oyin hair dew.

Oh and I tried the castor oil on my wet ends as soon as I was done rinsing out my DC :lick: its a keeper !!!!!!

Go ahead SimJam with those nice juicy twists. They look nice.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I'm doing a very pampering conditioning session tonight and I plan to twist when my hair dries tomorrow. Woohoo!

Imani

That's funny. Our hair total opposites. Gel is the only thing that makes my hair plump up so I use quite a few products to make it plump up as well as to keep it together. And water is a :nono: no matter what type (distilled, filtered). Water makes my roots unravel and they get dry and hard.

The twist I have now will not see water until wash day :lol:

I would only put the water on the ends to make my ponytail look full

discodumpling

I've been having too much fun with my hair! Washed/DC with my mud mix on Friday. Planned to roller set but i'm missing some rollers so I flat ironed. Wet it on Saturday and wore a ponytail w/twist bangs. I'm 1/2 way finished with this weeks twists! Maybe i'll finish them tonight...most likely not til tomorrow night.

Have a great week ladies :) HHG!