Twist for Growth Challenge (Fall 2011)

Oh yea.. and no more mini twists for a looong while.

Took me entirely too long to take them out.

Mixed my henna last night and will re-twist beginning tonight. For this mud mix I used only henna & AVJ. The colour released before I even went to bed last night! So as soon as I have the house to myself...it's ON!!

Update:

I took my mini twists out last night. I'm going to rock a twist out for 2 days, and deep condition, wash, then retwist on Thursday night.

My daily workouts might force me to wash sooner than I'd like...we'll see :look:.

I'll post some pictures of my twists later in the week.

Oh yea.. and no more mini twists for a looong while.

Took me entirely too long to take them out.

yaya24 Have you tried using conditioner to take out your mini twists? I haven't tried to do mini twists on my own but when I get them done at the salon, I always have to use conditioner to take them out. It's too time consuming to take them out individually so I drench them in a cheap but very moisturizing conditioner then rack them out with my fingers. I have no breakage when I do this, only shed hair. My fav con to use for this is Trader Joe's Nourish Spa. :yep:

My twists lasted for 2 weeks!! I could have gone longer but I want to DC this week. I think 2 weeks is great for my first attempt at twisting on my own. I've been wearing a twist out since Sunday but I'm going to wash and DC tonight. I'll do chunky twists for the rest of the week but then I have to re-wash and blowdry Friday night for an event I have on Saturday. I'm going to wear my hear curly on Saturday with a stylish hat on top, then back to twists Saturday night after the event.

I love this challenge!

Instead of perm rods, I ended up putting my hair in six bantu knots early this morning. I just took them down and umm...err...:look: I'll try it again tonight before bedtime.

late summer and autumn 2011 017.JPG

late summer and autumn 2011 018.JPG

late summer and autumn 2011 016.JPG

Instead of perm rods, I ended up putting my hair in six bantu knots early this morning. I just took them down and umm...err...:look: I'll try it again tonight before bedtime.

View attachment 126335

View attachment 126337

View attachment 126339

Ok cocosweet, I see you posting all up in this challenge which is cool but did you ever join? :look: I went looking for your start up post and was like hmm... I don't see one.

You are welcome to join, hang out or whatever. Was just checking. But if you want to join just answer the questions in the first post and I will add your name to the challengers list.

Ok @cocosweet, I see you posting all up in this challenge which is cool but did you ever join? :look: I went looking for your start up post and was like hmm... I don't see one.

You are welcome to join, hang out or whatever. Was just checking. But if you want to join just answer the questions in the first post and I will add your name to the challengers list.
I just took for granted that I had especially since my hair is usually in twists. Kind of a non challenging challenge.:lol:

In case that post doesn't exist:

1. Your go to twist style (alternatively braid style) ponytail
  2. Your twist care regimen retwist every second week, DC 1x monthly, apply growth aid and condish every other day. Wash on average every 7-10 days. Mainstays are Suave Trop. Coconut conditioner, Aubrey's GPB, homemade sulfur mix, Infusium 23.
  3. What you hope to achieve by December scrape WL.

Last edited:
I just took for granted that I had especially since my hair is usually in twists. Kind of a non challenging challenge.:lol:

In case that post doesn't exist:

1. Your go to twist style (alternatively braid style) ponytail
  2. Your twist care regimen retwist every second week, DC 1x monthly, apply growth aid and condish every other day. Wash on average every 7-10 days.
  3. What you hope to achieve by December scrape WL.

Thank You for updating. It just gives us a little peak into your hair regi.

I hear you about the non challenging challenge. It's like the DC challenge. I do it every week so it just seems automatic.

aeff7088-9fcb-02fd.jpg

I hope this works because I'm posting from my phone but I put my twists in a bun this morning. I'll likely leave them up until Thursday or Friday and then play with wearing them down.

Last edited:
I hope this works because I'm posting from my phone but I put my twists in a bun this morning. I'll likely leave them up until Thursday or Friday and then play with wearing them down.

Beautiful bun and beautiful twists.

:perplexed I knew my post wasn't going to work correctly! :nono:

And thanks for thinking my twists are thick! I was thinking they were a little puny... Is it normal for twists to shrink to the same length a wash and go shrinks? I was hoping for a little elongation. Maybe my twists are too big? I don't know if I have the patience to do any more than 48 though. I'll see if they stretch out a little when I take my bun down. If not, it's fine with me. I'm learning to let my hair do what it wants.

:perplexed I knew my post wasn't going to work correctly! :nono:

And thanks for thinking my twists are thick! I was thinking they were a little puny... Is it normal for twists to shrink to the same length a wash and go shrinks? I was hoping for a little elongation. Maybe my twists are too big? I don't know if I have the patience to do any more than 48 though. I'll see if they stretch out a little when I take my bun down. If not, it's fine with me. I'm learning to let my hair do what it wants.

My twists shrink up to the same length whether I do them on wet or stretched hair. The bun will elongate them. At night I flat twist them or cornrow them to keep them stretched.

Someone on this thread, sorry I forget the username, crosswraps their twists to keep them stretched.

Short answer, yes its normal and you will have to keep them stretched. Making them smaller doesn't necessarily keep them from shrinking.

My twists shrink up to the same length whether I do them on wet or stretched hair. The bun will elongate them. At night I flat twist them or cornrow them to keep them stretched.

Someone on this thread, sorry I forget the username, crosswraps their twists to keep them stretched.

Short answer, yes its normal and you will have to keep them stretched. Making them smaller doesn't necessarily keep them from shrinking.

Thanks for the quick reply! Since I wear buns almost every day I guess it shouldn't matter how much my twists shrink, but I was hoping for a different look. I guess I'll have one when my hair gets longer.

I always wanted to rock my twists like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bpuSgO9F70

But it always ends up looking a mess. My curls end up being too curly and shrunken. It doesn't have that hang till later in the day. I might try it again next week.

The key to getting a nice rod set it to not roll the entire twist. I usually roll the rod about half way up my twist making sure that there is space between the hair as I roll it. This gives a really nice curl that isn't too curly and shrunken. If its still too curly, turn on the hot water in your bathroom and close the door until it starts to steam and your curls will drop some. Hope that helps!

The key to getting a nice rod set it to not roll the entire twist. I usually roll the rod about half way up my twist making sure that there is space between the hair as I roll it. This gives a really nice curl that isn't too curly and shrunken. If its still too curly, turn on the hot water in your bathroom and close the door until it starts to steam and your curls will drop some. Hope that helps!

Thank you ladykpnyc I roll uall the way up to my scalp. :lachen:

Used naptural85 yogurt conditioner, followed by giovanni smooth as silk, followed by kimmay tube leave in (giovanni direct substituted), and mini twisted with my home made whipped butter blend (avocado butter,CO,AVJ, flax seed gel, essential oils).
Tried to post pics numerous times but app keeps force closing. Will post pics when I can.
I know I said no more mini twists, but medium sized twists won't last for more than a few days and I don't have the patience, time, or energy to re-twist my hair every week.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DROID X2

Used naptural85 yogurt conditioner, followed by giovanni smooth as silk, followed by kimmay tube leave in (giovanni direct substituted), and mini twisted with my home made whipped butter blend (avocado butter,CO,AVJ, essential oils).
Tried to post pics numerous times but app keeps force closing. Will post pics when I can.
I know I said no more mini twists, but medium sized twists won't last for more than a few days and I don't have the patience, time, or energy to re-twist my hair every week.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DROID X2

How did the yogurt conditioner work out for you? Did you notice more curl definition?

faithVA
Yogurt conditioner made detangling a breeze. I didn't even use a comb. Didn't really pay attention to curl definition because I was planning on twisting but definitely moisturized and decreased frizz.
My hair also has a very loose almost wavy curl pattern when wet but shrinks up into tight spirals when dry. So it's hard for me to tell curl definition unless I wear it out.
It did seem more stretched, but I did let my hair partially air dry in braids before twisting so it's hard to tell.

View attachment 126335

View attachment 126337

View attachment 126339

Do this to your hair instead...I tried this on my twists and it looked sooo good! Just make sure that you flat twist it the way she does, so that you have the premade sections.

To achieve this look, I lightly sprayed each section with water and aloe vera juice, then flat twisted (Don't completely saturate the twist, just wet it enough to feel it soften a bit). I did 4 sections total. If you do it on dry hair, it will look a bit stiff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE-xKlc12tEhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE-xKlc12tE

Last edited:
Done! With this weeks twists. It was a pleasant surprise to have my dry stretched twits once again brushing my shoulders :)

My hair is soft moisturized and strong feeling after yesterdays henna and deep conditioning session. I twisted up with my homemade cocoshealoe and shrunk my twists in the shower and now they're just hanging out as I go about the rest of my day!

Back