2020 Twist, Braid, Bun Challenge - No Hiding Your Hair

niknakmac

Soooo, it took me 3 days on and off to take out my mini braids. Those braids were really small! I decided not to bother twisting my hair because after all of that I did not want to have to do my hair again next week. So i went with bigger braids and I hope they last at least a month. I do like to keep them 6 - 7 weeks but I'm not sure this size will hold up that long.

One thing this challenge has shown me is that I will never lock my hair even though I was definitely considering it. I need change even if it is as simple as different size braids. It has also made me a lazy natural...lol wash and rebraid is my jam!

charmtreese

At 8 months pregnant I haven't been able to keep up with my old schedule of washing and twisting twice a month. For the last 3 months or so I've been keeping my small twist in for about 4-5 weeks before washing and retwisting them. I've also started to use a aloe vera spray within the last month or so to keep my hair moisturized. Even though I've been lazy on the washing and retwisting, I still moisturize and seal daily as well as keep my hair covered when laying around and bagging the ends at night.

snoop

At 8 months pregnant I haven't been able to keep up with my old schedule of washing and twisting twice a month. For the last 3 months or so I've been keeping my small twist in for about 4-5 weeks before washing and retwisting them. I've also started to use a aloe vera spray within the last month or so to keep my hair moisturized. Even though I've been lazy on the washing and retwisting, I still moisturize and seal daily as well as keep my hair covered when laying around and bagging the ends at night.

I didn't realize that you were expecting. Congratulations! :dance7:

Lissa0821

I put mini twist in my niece's oldest daughter two weeks ago. Her mother insisted I use Beeswax to hold the twists for a few weeks. Against my better judgement I did, I stopped by last week and that child twists looked so good, I came home and twisted mine with Beeswax. It seems to work well with all my flyaway greys so far. I know I will need an effective method to remove it from my hair on wash day, but I am loving my mini twists for now.

Last edited:

snoop

I'm weighing the pros and cons of installing a style and trying to maintain it until the end of the year.:look:

I might try one month at at time -- twists, then threading the twists, but I'm not sure if I'm that brave yet. I'll decide over the weekend.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Redid my twists for the month. Washed and conditioned the old twists, dentagled each row, and redid the twists. Much easier than taking everything out first. Feels so good to have a fresh set. :)

snoop

Right now I'm wearing jumbo two strand twists that I've threaded. I've left spaces between so that technically I'm abiding to the rules of this challenge.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
My desire to do the big chop died. I cut one of my twists in the front down to the new growth and its too short for my liking. At least it doesn't stick out from the rest of my hair though. I did measure the length and I have about 5 inches of new growth at 11 months. I'm happy with that.

snoop

Two weeks ago I challenged myself to wear my hair in the same protective style until early December. After the first week I had enough. I'll try for a month and see how it goes? At least that's what I'm telling myself now. So here I am at the end of week two. I re-threaded my twists last week. I think that if I can change up the threading style over the next two weeks then I'll be good to hit a 1 month target.

snoop

This week went by fast! I am almost through my 4th week of wearing the same twists! This is the first time in a while since I've worn my twists this long and I'm excited to see what the take down process will be like, especially since they're larger twists. By now, with the weekly washing, my hair would have been a frizzy mess, but I attribute the lack of frizz to wearing my hair threaded for three weeks. That and using a LOT of shea butter. Even though, I'm not in threads this week, my breads look relatively shiny and I think that there won't be any real issue with taking my twists down.

I plan on installing mini two strand twists next and if these twists hold up well, I might try a month with mini twists.

snoop

I am out of my twisted hair style. Four weeks in medium twists.

To set the style for the week, I was heavy handed with my LCOB method. Extra emphasis on the B -- shea butter. Then I threaded my twists into whatever style I was feeling.
I water washed or honey washed at the end of each week and then started the process again.
I did a proper hair wash today, but I think that I am going to live one more week in medium twists then do the same process, but in mini-twists.

VictoriousBrownFlower

This sounds like my cup of tea seeing as i'm trying to maximize my growth in this time of corona .... mine as well....

~~~~~~~~~~Join the Challenge by Sharing-----------------

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? I will mainly being doing twists in a bun but on the off occassion that i dont feel like doing twists i'll do just a slick back bun or two....

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? I'm still working on products but i do plan to wash my hair every 2 wks or so, deep condition with every wash, do the lcb method (leave in, cream, butter) and style...

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? I've been natural 5 yrs now ( i think) and my hair is a solid bra strap length.

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? I'm hoping to improve the general health of my hair especially when it comes to being and staying moisturized. I would also like to keep an eye on my ends and continue to grow my hair out.

5. How often will you restyle your hair? I will prob restyle after i wash it. So every wk to two wks.

6. Include Starting Pic. These are the styles i will frequent
IMG_1694.JPGtwo buns

[/QUOTE]IMG_0992.JPGone bunIMG_2088.JPGtwists in a bun

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Ok, so I've had twists in since almost the start of lockdown and I'm bored. I know I am going to regret taking them down but I kinda want to play in my hair for a day... and then probably twist my hair back up. :drunk:

VictoriousBrownFlower

okay so i wore a wash and go for 2 days and now i am prepooing for an hr with a banana, avocado, honey, aloe vera juice, 1 tbsp of shea moisture manuka honey dc, 1 tbsp of my shea mix melted, 1 tbsp of my herbal oil. Basically everything but the kitchen sink is in this prepoo. After i'm done sitting here with my hot head on for an hr i'm going to shampoo, dc again with giovanni smooth as silk, apply my leave in, qhemet biologics burdock root cream ,and fin off with my shea butter mix. I'll just place it in a few big braids to stretch it in preparation for my twists.

VictoriousBrownFlower

so i just fin washing my hair and applied giovanni direct leave in, qhemet biologics burdock root cream, and my shea butter mix to 6 sections and braided them up to dry.... My hair feels AMAZINGGGG!!!!!! I'd say this was my first successful wash day in a really long time. That prepoo mix really did me well. I have half of it left over. I put it in the freezer so it won't go bad and will thaw it out with a hot water bath when i wanna use it.

snoop

I transitioned from medium sized twists into something that's between medium and mini. Small? I'm not going to thread this week, but I plan on threading next week and wearing these twists for the remainder of the month.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Just finished putting my hair in individual braids. Need more practice with parting; braids are not as forgiving as twists when it comes to that. But I like how the braids look. Hope that this lasts for a month. Will continue my regular routine of weekly washes and see how that goes.

snoop

I'm getting ready to start week three, month two of the new regimen that I'm testing out. I washed my hair today and I need to figure out what my threading style is going to be for the week.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
So twists are better for me and my hair. After 2 weeks my hair looked unkempt plus it took forever to take the braids out. So I have been wearing 10 large braids pulled into a bun since then. I'm hoping to receive and test the Revair blow dryer to stretch my hair and then go back into twists for the rest of the year.

snoop

I've decided to try to take more time detangling my hair. I started yesterday and after 4 hours I got halfway done. I'll try to finish today. I think that I retained a lot of length over the last two months, but I won't know until I wash my hair.

snoop

I'm now in medium sized three strand twists that I've threaded into three sections. Twisting and threading over the last two months has been helping my retention big-time! So this makes week 1 of month three then I'm going to take a two week break for Christmas (twists with no threading) then start again in the New Year.

MizzBFly

Y’all I’ve worn twists all this year, it started as a challenge with my sister in March to get her on board ( since this is how I roll)but turned into I ain’t got time for this hair. Between undiagnosed depression and stress (work from home, anxiety, 1st year middle schooler, 9 yr old and revamping my husband’s business) I made waist length! :pulpdance:It’s not full yet but yeah. Pics will come tomorrow after I air dry in a turban overnight.

snoop

I'm taking a break from threading my twists and I installed two strand twists to wear for the week. I plan on wearing this style to the end of the year.