Twist for Growth Challenge (Fall 2011)

Bublin

I wish my hair didn't shrink up sooo much. My twists have shrunk up to around my ears. Still, the plus side is that my hair is super soft.

Reminiscing

@Reminiscing PRACTICE. :look: It took me about six months of twisting to install a set that looked fresh after two weeks. When I first began, a new set of twists looked old that same day. It drove me crazy. Another tip is to braid the root and twist the rest of the way down. I do this near on my hair, at the area of parting, and my nape.

NappyNelle I thought about braiding the top. I'll definitely try it next time. Thanks!

Bublin

@Bublin do you do your twists on wet hair?

@-PYT Yes i do. I really can't use heat right now. Whilst i was transitioning i blowdried and flat ironing every wk/2 wks and my hair is now fragile and dry because of it. I am slowly nursing it back to health and am making good progress but the front portion is unsavable - it is like 80% straight - so i'm having to do everything on wet hair whilst that area grows out. Other forms of stretching do not work for me.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
@yaya24
wow
They were done on shrinked hair and they are so long...

oh can I have your review on the yes to tomato, i've heard it's specifies for "fine hair" and that it's "volumizing")
is it kinda true :rolleyes: ??

@Krystle~Hime

TBH before purchasing the YTT conditioner I did not even realize that it was for volumizing. I purchased it at Ross for $2.99 solely based on the ingredients and used it as a rinse out/ cowash conditioner. It leaves my hair very soft.

I do have fine strands though.

Nonie

faithVA, that's so cute. I love that she does cornrows on the sides (I can't flat twist to save my life so this is a style I can pull off. I just need to do a few pushups so my weak arms can stand to be up for long enough to do cornrows. I can do 200+ braid singles w/o a break, but cornrows wear the heck out of me.)

Krystle~Hime

@Krystle~Hime

TBH before purchasing the YTT conditioner I did not even realize that it was for volumizing. I purchased it at Ross for $2.99 solely based on the ingredients and used it as a rinse out/ cowash conditioner. It leaves my hair very soft.

I do have fine strands though.
yaya24
wow you? fine hair strands??? I dunno if we got trapped in your hair density, but your twists seem to be so full !!! look at my pics here it's totally different than yours http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=14185611&postcount=23
I know your twists are mini twists, but if I do smaller parts, the twists will be very skinny or kinda scalpy.

for that price, i can give a try to yes to tomatoes!! it will be funny if the condish has red colour(lol))

faithVA

@faithVA, that's so cute. I love that she does cornrows on the sides (I can't flat twist to save my life so this is a style I can pull off. I just need to do a few pushups so my weak arms can stand to be up for long enough to do cornrows. I can do 200+ braid singles w/o a break, but cornrows wear the heck out of me.)

Nonie, if you do it please show us. I would love to see it. Fortunately she only cornrows the sides and the rest are twist. It's funny that you can cornrow but not flat twist. It just seems that it would follow. I can flat twist. I can cornrow some but only in certain directions. :ohwell:

Not sure if my back is long enough for this style though.

Krystle~Hime

pookaloo83

I wish my hair didn't shrink up sooo much. My twists have shrunk up to around my ears. Still, the plus side is that my hair is super soft.

Bublin When my hair shrinks up I two strand the twists my twists into big twists. Like about 5 or 6. It'll be stretched by morning. Or, I hold them taut and run a blowdryer on it on low.

So last night I slept in my banana clip. I took off my bonnet this morning and was out the door. I want to continue doing this, but I'm scared of damage. :ohwell: I ordered more Qhemet AOHC cause I ran out. Still have not received it, so I moisturized with Blue magics Argan oil mango and lime. It has the consistency as a butter. And sealed with grapeseed oil. I've been looking on youtube for my styles, so I'll be practicing on my head next week. I want to try something different.

Last edited:

faithVA

[USER=89499 said:
Krystle~Hime[/USER];14278217]I want to try this !!!!
@faithVA.
is it bad if i'm in yarn twists for one month :s ????? am I dismissed ??? :spank::cry3:
I mean they are so sexy I want them !!! :grin:
but that's not cool I have to be consistent with my initial regimen, maybe I would wait 2012. (okay finally this, was a random hair thought LOL)

Yes its bad. C'est terrible. Vous ete mal. (he he ) that's the little french I remember from high school.

You shall never be forgiven.

Nonie

Thanks! I know how long you keep yours and I didn't want to think I was crazy when a few unraveled on me lol Nonie

-PYT, I consider the unraveling a good thing. Many people get locs and matted hair when they twist, so the unraveling is an assurance that your hair is still nicely separated, I say.

I thank you for saving me the trouble of taking a pic, since you know what I mean. LOL

Kenny-Ann

I FINALLY got my henna yesterday. I had to take my twists in the front down. Fortunately, the twistout in the front looked great...even with the gray hair. I will henna tomorrow night, do the indigo Saturday morning, rinse w/salt water, deep condition w/yogurt, honey and burt bees conditioner for an hour and then twist it up. I am think I am going to use the jane carter nourish and shine to twist.

What are you guys using for your twists?

NappyNelle the style was cute, but the gray hair did not make it any kinda sexy :nono:

faithVA

I FINALLY got my henna yesterday. I had to take my twists in the front down. Fortunately, the twistout in the front looked great...even with the gray hair. I will henna tomorrow night, do the indigo Saturday morning, rinse w/salt water, deep condition w/yogurt, honey and burt bees conditioner for an hour and then twist it up. I am think I am going to use the jane carter nourish and shine to twist.

What are you guys using for your twists?

@NappyNelle the style was cute, but the gray hair did not make it any kinda sexy :nono:

Kenny-Ann,

I feel you on the gray. With some styles its ok but with others it just seems so prominent. And with pictures it just looks more in your face :yep:

Good luck with the henna.

I apply my leave-in, a butter and then twist with a gel. Right now I am using Joie Gel but I may switch back to the KCCC when it is gone. But I have seen some twists with the JC and they look really nice. :yep:

adamson

Your go to twist style (alternatively braid style): Buns on most days (I get more shrinkage in the front due to heat, lol) but down on some days.
Your twist care regimen: I wear my hair in twists and wash it every five days. On occasion, I wash my hair more frequently (in twists), depending on whether my scalp is irritated due to sweat/buildup. But ideally, cowash with hemp seed oil in conditioner, detangle, and retwist. I don't wear twist-outs because of the shrinkage.
What you hope to achieve by December: It'd be nice to be full bsl but I'm hoping that the shortest parts of my hair are below apl and are nearing bsl. I want the front sections of my hair to be at least cbl :)
Anything else you would like to share. I also take vitamins :) 10mg of biotin a day and 2g of msm a day (mostly to counteract the bad acne I would get if I just took the biotin). I also take a multi-vitamin and iron (for anemia).

I guess I'll take pics later. I just put my hair in a bun.

faithVA

Your go to twist style (alternatively braid style): Buns on most days (I get more shrinkage in the front due to heat, lol) but down on some days.
Your twist care regimen: I wear my hair in twists and wash it every five days. On occasion, I wash my hair more frequently (in twists), depending on whether my scalp is irritated due to sweat/buildup. But ideally, cowash with hemp seed oil in conditioner, detangle, and retwist. I don't wear twist-outs because of the shrinkage.
What you hope to achieve by December: It'd be nice to be full bsl but I'm hoping that the shortest parts of my hair are below apl and are nearing bsl. I want the front sections of my hair to be at least cbl :)
Anything else you would like to share. I also take vitamins :) 10mg of biotin a day and 2g of msm a day (mostly to counteract the bad acne I would get if I just took the biotin). I also take a multi-vitamin and iron (for anemia).

I guess I'll take pics later. I just put my hair in a bun.

Welcome adamson. Glad to have you.

ladykpnyc

Is it too late to join :look:? If not, I'm in :yep:

Your go to twist style: mini twists

Your twist care regimen:
I also dc before I twist w/ Anita Grant's Rassoul Deep Dish (banana) and organic coconut milk, then I twist w/ BB's Happy Nappy Styles. Every morning I apply a little Avocado Cloud by Hairitage Hydration or Burdock Root Butter Cream by QB to the ends. At night, I slip on my silk bonnet and call it a night.

What you hope to achieve by December
I just want my hair to be a non:censored: factor :giggle: while I workout.

Anything else you would like to share.
Nope :poke:

faithVA

Is it too late to join :look:? If not, I'm in :yep:

Your go to twist style: mini twists

Your twist care regimen:
I also dc before I twist w/ Anita Grant's Rassoul Deep Dish (banana) and organic coconut milk, then I twist w/ BB's Happy Nappy Styles. Every morning I apply a little Avocado Cloud by Hairitage Hydration or Burdock Root Butter Cream by QB to the ends. At night, I slip on my silk bonnet and call it a night.

What you hope to achieve by December
I just want my hair to be a non:censored: factor :giggle: while I workout.

Anything else you would like to share.
Nope :poke:

Welcome ladykpnyc, nope its not too late.

Bublin

For the last 2 days i have been wearng my twists like this. Two mini buns at the back. I just change the headband.

Kenny-Ann

@Kenny-Ann,

I feel you on the gray. With some styles its ok but with others it just seems so prominent. And with pictures it just looks more in your face :yep:

OMG @ the bolded. It looked totally different in the mirror than it did in the photos. I was like "That's NOT my hair". I can't wait to get back to twists.

faithVA

OMG @ the bolded. It looked totally different in the mirror than it did in the photos. I was like "That's NOT my hair". I can't wait to get back to twists.

Fortunately I think people see us more like we see ourselves in the mirror vs. how the camera captures us. Thank goodness :lol: Because I have a lot of picture mugshots. And if I thought I really looked like that I wouldn't go out. :lol: