Twist for Growth Challenge (Fall 2011)

I did some mini twists yesterday.
Hopefully I can get a couple of weeks out of them.

sept19.jpg

P1050393.jpg

P1050408.jpg

P1050403.jpg

[USER=23876 said:
pookaloo83[/USER];14266031] I think I'm gonna start taking the twists down on damp hair. Maybe spray it with a spray bottle before hand. I heard a whole bunch of popping and seen broken hairs upon takedown. I lost alot of hair when I was a kid from braids on my sides.

Have you tried work oil and water or oil and a butter into your hair before taking them down?

The night before I take down, I apply oil and baggy for 30 minutes. I then mist with water and baggy for 30 minutes. That way when I take them down they are moisturized and the oil keeps the hair from clinging to each other.

[USER=23876 said:
pookaloo83[/USER];14266631]@faithVA I tried oil last night. But it just felt...oily. I think next time I'm gonna try water.

I wasn't suggesting applying oil by itself. Was suggesting applying oil then applying water. It will give you a slip that neither alone gives you. But try with the water it may work for you.

I wasn't suggesting applying oil by itself. Was suggesting applying oil then applying water. It will give you a slip that neither alone gives you. But try with the water it may work for you.

faithVA I didn't get what you were saying. :lol: Yes! I was gonna try the oil and water cause I like how my hair feels when I do that, but didn't. I will try that next time. Thanks!

Am I too late for this challenge. I'm really a twist girl, but at this point in my journey this is exactly what I need! We're heading into that part of the year when the weather is harsh on my hair. My puffs and twist outs won't cut it. :nono:

Am I too late for this challenge. I'm really a twist girl, but at this point in my journey this is exactly what I need! We're heading into that part of the year when the weather is harsh on my hair. My puffs and twist outs won't cut it. :nono:

Nope your not too late Tyra. We are just getting started. The rules and questions are in the 1st post.

Your go to twist style (alternatively braid style)
Medium two strand twists

Your twist care regimen
Keeping it simple.
I'll be moisturizing (Hawaiian Silky 14in1) and sealing (WGO) the ends of my twists nightly.

What you hope to achieve by December
Maximum length retention and stronger ends. I'm pushing for APL by New Year.

Anything else you would like to share.
I'll be back with pics sometime between now and October.:look:

I decided to try spritzing my hair with water/AVG and then sealing with shea butter. As soon as I spritzed the water, fuzz city :lol: I didn't even touch it. Then I had an idea. What if I applied the shea butter first and then spritzed it? hmm

It's too late to do it for this set of twist but I will try it for my next set. And I think I want to do a darker henna. I think it will look better. :yep:

damn yaya24 do you do a lil blow out before doing your twists??? I was wondering !

faithVA I don't know how, strategically will you moisturize your hair this way lol, but I apply gel when I want to minimize frizz.

damn @yaya24 do you do a lil blow out before doing your twists??? I was wondering !

@faithVA I don't know how, strategically will you moisturize your hair this way lol, but I apply gel when I want to minimize frizz.

I used gel when I twisted them but I don't like to keep applying gel during the week. The gel doesn't keep my hair from frizzing once water touches it. So I am just trying all types of things. I don't expect to eliminate the frizz but I have much more frizz than most people can imagine so just trying to minimize it so I can wear them longer than a week.

just retwisted my hair with shea moisture deep treatment mask sealed with sunflower oil

First time using the shea moisture as a twisting product ... my twists are super moisturized, feels like when I twist with AOHC.

Twisted my hair yesterday with Afroveda Cocolatte, Curls Goddess Curls and sealed ends with castor oil/almond oil mix. Will wear these for 10-15 days.

damn @yaya24 do you do a lil blow out before doing your twists??? I was wondering !

@faithVA I don't know how, strategically will you moisturize your hair this way lol, but I apply gel when I want to minimize frizz.

Krystle~Hime -Not this time.
Before work I cowashed and did a puff. I let that air dry during the day, and then when I got home I started on my twists.

Each section I kind of made damp with my leave in (yes to tomato conditioner + aloe vera juice + wheat germ oil).. The consistency was pretty fluid.

I have been twisting my hair for 2 weeks now so i would like to join.

Your go to twist style (alternatively braid style)
Medium-Large two strand twists

Your twist care regimen
Keeping it very simple. After i wash my hair i apply my Kimmaytube Leave-in and twist on wet hair. I moisturise with a watered down version of the Leave-in and seal with an Oil Moisturiser. Style so i am mainly hiding my ends.

What you hope to achieve by December
I am about an inch away from my longest hair at the nape being APL. (I am tall with long proportions so this will be a major acheivement for me)

Anything else you would like to share.
I will not be doing mini twists as i am lazy and they take too long to take out.

hey ladies took my twist down last night for a co-wash and did not feel like re-twisting. I will probably re-twist tomorrow tonight because I want to wear a twistout this weekend.

I'd like to join this challenge but I'm a little nervous. I BC'd in May and I've only worn my own twists outside the house once. I usually get my twists professionally done but to keep it up till the end of the year I will have to learn to do them better on my own. So I'm in but I may not post pic right away. Lol!

Does anyone have tips on how to get the twists tight at the root? Sorry if this question has already been answered. The root of my twists are always loose causing my twists to look fuzzy and old faster.

I decided to try spritzing my hair with water/AVG and then sealing with shea butter. As soon as I spritzed the water, fuzz city :lol: I didn't even touch it. Then I had an idea. What if I applied the shea butter first and then spritzed it? hmm

It's too late to do it for this set of twist but I will try it for my next set. And I think I want to do a darker henna. I think it will look better. :yep:

This ALWAYS happens to my hair when I spritz it with water. POOF!!! Now the only thing I do is wet my hand with water and then rub about a dime size glob of EVCO through my hair and go. This helps so much with the frizz.

Now tell me....how do you do a darker henna? I use henna and then indigo. Is this what you are meaning?

I'd like to join this challenge but I'm a little nervous. I BC'd in May and I've only worn my own twists outside the house once. I usually get my twists professionally done but to keep it up till the end of the year I will have to learn to do them better on my own. So I'm in but I may not post pic right away. Lol!

Does anyone have tips on how to get the twists tight at the root? Sorry if this question has already been answered. The root of my twists are always loose causing my twists to look fuzzy and old faster.

Don't have any great tips for tighter twists. I have just been trying to pinch the hair more with my finger tips when I twist. That along with the gel works fine for a few days.

Maybe some others have greater tips.

This ALWAYS happens to my hair when I spritz it with water. POOF!!! Now the only thing I do is wet my hand with water and then rub about a dime size glob of EVCO through my hair and go. This helps so much with the frizz.

Now tell me....how do you do a darker henna? I use henna and then indigo. Is this what you are meaning?

I will add that to my list to try. :yep: Thanks!

I started re-twisting my hair on Monday. I got the front done and left the rest for the next day. Well, my hair is still half twisted and half in a puff. I figured that I will just keep my hair half twisted until I get my henna. It just doesn't make any sense to spend all that time twisting my hair and then take it down two days later to henna.

Sidenote: the half up/half down look is actually kinda cute. I took pics but didn't want to post them with all the gray hair screaming through.

[USER=253198 said:
Kenny-Ann[/USER];14274413]

I buy henna from MorroccoMethod and it comes in various colors. I currently use the medium brown mixed with red (you can see it in my blog). So when I say I want to go darker I plan on getting the dark brown next time instead of the medium brown.

Because they sell the henna in various colors, you can combine the colors to get something closer to what you want.

Krystle~Hime -Not this time.
Before work I cowashed and did a puff. I let that air dry during the day, and then when I got home I started on my twists.

Each section I kind of made damp with my leave in (yes to tomato conditioner + aloe vera juice + wheat germ oil).. The consistency was pretty fluid.
yaya24
wow
They were done on shrinked hair and they are so long...

oh can I have your review on the yes to tomato, i've heard it's specifies for "fine hair" and that it's "volumizing")
is it kinda true :rolleyes: ??

Reminiscing PRACTICE. :look: It took me about six months of twisting to install a set that looked fresh after two weeks. When I first began, a new set of twists looked old that same day. It drove me crazy. Another tip is to braid the root and twist the rest of the way down. I do this near on my hair, at the area of parting, and my nape.

Kenny-Ann Grey hair is sexy. Show us some pictures! :yep:

Back