Twist for Growth Challenge (Fall 2011)

FroFab

You all are just moving right along with twisting and re-twisting. Here I am three weeks in (I think) and still rocking the same old fuzzy-wuzzy-was-a-bear twists. I've fallen back to bunning the twists but I am at least trying to move it to different places around my head. Still moisturizing every night or every other night with water, leave-in, and shea butter.

faithVA

You all are just moving right along with twisting and re-twisting. Here I am three weeks in (I think) and still rocking the same old fuzzy-wuzzy-was-a-bear twists. I've fallen back to bunning the twists but I am at least trying to move it to different places around my head. Still moisturizing every night or every other night with water, leave-in, and shea butter.

Nothing wrong with rocking them as long as you can. One day hopefully I can too. But not holding my breath :lol:

Thanks for checking in.

Krystle~Hime

Made some flax seed gel today and added some argan oil and cupuacu butter to make it creamy. Going to use it to do two strand flat twist today.

Sent from my VM670 using VM670

LuvlyRain3 I have a big batch of cupuacu butter, I really like it !! and I wanted to know how did your mix turn and also how did you mix it to flaxgeed gel, you may know it's very jelly and.... weird. I think if I add oil It won't mix. or maybe u used a electric mixer ?
TIA !!

Kenny-Ann I used my banane conditioner as a leave in, then put a lil of oil(avocado/evening primrose/castor) for sealing and then put flaxseed gel on the strand just prior to twisting.
shiny no-frizz hair. (and moisturized for days !! )

faithVA

@LuvlyRain3 I have a big batch of cupuacu butter, I really like it !! and I wanted to know how did your mix turn and also how did you mix it to flaxgeed gel, you may know it's very jelly and.... weird. I think if I add oil It won't mix. or maybe u used a electric mixer ?
TIA !!

I would like to know as well. You mixed flax seed gel and butter? Please share your recipe with us. Can I substitute the butter?

YoursTrulyRE

Okay I'm joining. I'm getting some mini-twists put in on Saturday.

Your go to twist style (alternatively braid style):
  • two strand twist (mini or small)
  • or flat twist in front and the rest in small twist
Your twist care regimen:
  • Try to keep in for 3-4 weeks.
  • Spray Condish on twist & Rinse 1-2x a week (mini cowash)
  • Moisturize and seal length daily or everyother day
  • Moisturze and seal ends daily
What you hope to achieve by December:
  • Thicker/Healthier hair
  • Retain growth = longer hair

faithVA

Okay I'm joining. I'm getting some mini-twists put in on Saturday.

• two strand twist (mini or small)
  • or flat twist in front and the rest in small twist
Your twist care regimen:
  • Try to keep in for 3-4 weeks.
  • Spray Condish on twist & Rinse 1-2x a week (mini cowash)
  • Moisturize and seal length daily or everyother day
  • Moisturze and seal ends daily
  • Thicker/Healthier hair
  • Retain growth = longer hair

Welcome YoursTrulyRE. Can't wait to see your twist.

Bublin

I really like this style. Are they individual twists pulled back or flat twists into a bun?

@Kenny-Ann I have very thin hair so i do about (hold on let me count them....) 25 individual twists so my hair looks fuller. I rarely do flat twists as they lay too flat against the head and i like a fuller look, not versatile and make my head look even bigger that what it is. I simply parted the hair in the back and make two buns with black satin scrunchies using hair pins if anything sticks out.
You could just do one bun but i felt like doing two because it means less pinning for me and all my ends get inside the scrunchie. I moisturise my ends before i bun. Just switch up the head band to match your outfit.

Last edited:

Kenny-Ann

@Kenny-Ann I have very thin hair so i do about (hold on let me count them....) 25 individual twists so my hair looks fuller. I rarely do flat twists as they lay too flat against the head and i like a fuller look, not versatile and make my head look even bigger that what it is. I simply parted the hair in the back and make two buns with black satin scrunchies using hair pins if anything sticks out.
You could just do one bun but i felt like doing two because it means less pinning for me and all my ends get inside the scrunchie. I moisturise my ends before i bun. Just switch up the head band to match your outfit.

I will have to try this out on my next go 'round. It might also help with keeping the twists in longer when they start to frizz. Hmmmmmm.....

@Kenny-Ann I used my banane conditioner as a leave in, then put a lil of oil(avocado/evening primrose/castor) for sealing and then put flaxseed gel on the strand just prior to twisting.
shiny no-frizz hair. (and moisturized for days !! )

I keep hearing good things about flaxseed gel. I will have to look into this.

LuvlyRain3

Krystle~Hime getting the combo right was kind of tricky. First I whipped the cupuacu butter anda argan oil together. Then I made the flax seed gel. While I was making the gel I kept the whipped butter on the other side of the stove to keep it warm. You have to add the gel while its still hot or it will be extremely hard to mix. I had about 5 oz of cupuacu butter. I wanted a creamy gel consistency (a cream with a little bounce and hold). I added a tbsp of gel at a time until I got the results I wanted. Not sure how many tbsp I added though. But yeah its best to use a mixer. I definitely headed more butter than gel. I just ordered some more cupuacu butter so when I make more I'll take notes so I can give an exact recipe. HTH

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I know I've been straightening my natural hair with heat, but I may try this twist for growth challenge again. I've seen so many woman on LHCF and outside of this board who have had success with this: Ms Lala, Sammie7, Sera2544, Aijo, catheadface, and more! And these women that I mentioned have similar hair types as mine. I should stick with this twist routine if I want to get to the hair length that I want. But I always give in to boredom.

I am proud of myself for the 3 months I did stick with wearing twists. It was from April through June. Then I straightened my hair after that.

I've been APL since 2009, but that is because I would get trims that were really haircuts. The last time I had a trim was in March and it put me shorter than APL and I have grown it back out to APL.

Right now, my hair is in two strand twists pulled back into a bun. I can see myself wearing this style without getting bored with it. I just know that I really need to leave my hair alone and stop trimming/cutting it if I want it to get to greater lengths.

faithVA

[USER=3145 said:
Poohbear[/USER];14287095]I know I've been straightening my natural hair with heat, but I may try this twist for growth challenge again. I've seen so many woman on LHCF and outside of this board who have had success with this: Ms Lala, Sammie7, Sera2544, Aijo, catheadface, and more! And these women that I mentioned have similar hair types as mine. I should stick with this twist routine if I want to get to the hair length that I want. But I always give in to boredom.

I am proud of myself for the 3 months I did stick with wearing twists. It was from April through June. Then I straightened my hair after that.

I've been APL since 2009, but that is because I would get trims that were really haircuts. The last time I had a trim was in March and it put me shorter than APL and I have grown it back out to APL.

Right now, my hair is in two strand twists pulled back into a bun. I can see myself wearing this style without getting bored with it. I just know that I really need to leave my hair alone and stop trimming/cutting it if I want it to get to greater lengths.

Whether you do the challenge or not please stop trimming your hair :blush:. We want to see your BSL, MBL hair :yep: But its nice that it grew back out to APL within a few months. And doing your twists for 3 months at a time is good. That is why this challenge is only for a few months. Its more likely we will make it vs doing twists for a year. :yep:

Kenny-Ann

Poohbear Come and join us! I am hoping to last the rest of the year with twists. I get so bored when I'm not playing with my hair, so I can relate.

Were you guys hair crazy before you started your HHJ? I swear, before I started I could give a rats tail about my hair. Ponytail city or bun, everyday, all the time without even worrying about it. Now I go insane if I'm not doing something to my hair. It's like I'm a hair addict.

MsDee14

I would like to join this challenge...I'm a newbie on here..but I sometimes (well kind all the time) lurked.

I'm a relaxed head who stretches 4 months at a time.

Two Strand Mini Twists clipped up or curled

Your twist care regimen:
Re-do them 2 weeks at a time
Spray scalp daily with an Aloe Vera Mix (To help with itching or shedding)
Wash and Condition weekly
Prepoo, Wash, DC- Biweekly
Moisturize and Seal nightly
Oil ends in the morning
Baggy Nightly

Stronger hair
Thicker Hair
Retain at least 1.5 inches of growth

I attached some pics of my twists today and how I wore them in the past.

Attachments

• Twists on Relaxed hair_Braid and Curl.jpg
    Twists on Relaxed hair_Braid and Curl.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Twists on Relaxed hair_Braid and Curl_4.jpg
    Twists on Relaxed hair_Braid and Curl_4.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 46
  • me in AC.JPG
    me in AC.JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 100_7284.jpg
    100_7284.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 49
  • my twists.jpg
    my twists.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

pookaloo83

I put them into a bun today, Moisturized with qhemet AOHC and sealed with hot six oil.

Attachments

• twibun.jpg
    twibun.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 64

Poohbear

Poohbear Come and join us! I am hoping to last the rest of the year with twists. I get so bored when I'm not playing with my hair, so I can relate.

Were you guys hair crazy before you started your HHJ? I swear, before I started I could give a rats tail about my hair. Ponytail city or bun, everyday, all the time without even worrying about it. Now I go insane if I'm not doing something to my hair. It's like I'm a hair addict.

Kenny-Ann, I will think about it. Even though I like wearing my hair down, I do find myself wanting to pull it back into a ponytail or bun away from my face. I will see how long I can put up with this twisted updo style that I'm wearing now.

I didn't become hair crazy until I joined LHCF back in 2004. I didn't care about hair styles either back then. Plus I had relaxed hair. I usually wore it down straight or in a ponytail. After joining LHCF, I would try all types of styles after seeing so many pictures.

Krystle~Hime

Krystle~Hime getting the combo right was kind of tricky. First I whipped the cupuacu butter anda argan oil together. Then I made the flax seed gel. While I was making the gel I kept the whipped butter on the other side of the stove to keep it warm. You have to add the gel while its still hot or it will be extremely hard to mix. I had about 5 oz of cupuacu butter. I wanted a creamy gel consistency (a cream with a little bounce and hold). I added a tbsp of gel at a time until I got the results I wanted. Not sure how many tbsp I added though. But yeah its best to use a mixer. I definitely headed more butter than gel. I just ordered some more cupuacu butter so when I make more I'll take notes so I can give an exact recipe. HTH
LuvlyRain3
I did my first batch of flaxseed gel... it was 1/4cup of seeds for 2 cups of water and seriously I think it will last me for one year. as I only take a little for each twists. now it's totally cold, so from your directions it means I won't be able to mix with water.:ohwell:

Krystle~Hime

Kenny-Ann I exactly did THIS
http://youtu.be/LBhsnQbgzEI
with a nylon stock and chopsticks ! and i've reboiled the seeds a second time. thats why my batch of gel is seriously big and will last me for surely one year. but as it's a natural product, I think I shouldn't use it for more than 3 months. even if I added a natural preservative.

Bublin

Krystle~Hime

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat ??? lol it's very easier to add some drops of preservative. with that I can have it every day in the bathroom ! LOL !!
but thakns for the tip Bublin greenandchic

by the way bublin why your hair is so sexy like dat? is it just the camera'flash???

Bublin

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat ??? lol it's very easier to add some drops of preservative. with that I can have it every day in the bathroom ! LOL !!
but thakns for the tip @Bublin @greenandchic

by the way bublin why your hair is so sexy like dat? is it just the camera'flash???

What picture?
Do you mean the one in my avatar?
Sexy? :look: OK and thanks for the compliment. I didn't take the pic with a flash.

hair4romheaven

I want to 2 strand twist my hair for 6 months but keep wondering if its to much manipulation to retwist weekly. Has anyone retained length & thickness using 2 strand twist?

Poohbear

I want to 2 strand twist my hair for 6 months but keep wondering if its to much manipulation to retwist weekly. Has anyone retained length & thickness using 2 strand twist?

hair4romheaven

Check out these ladies:

Ms Lala http://public.fotki.com/Ms-Lala/ and http://www.youtube.com/user/NaturalHairGrowth101

Sera2544 http://public.fotki.com/Sera252/ and http://www.youtube.com/user/Sera2544

Sammie7 http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s239/Sammie777_2007/Hair/

Aijo http://public.fotki.com/Kemi21/ (need a password)

Catheadface http://shealovesit.tumblr.com/tagged/natural_hair/chrono (she used to have a fotki album with a lot of pictures of her hair but she got rid of it :( )

UrbanBushBabe http://www.youtube.com/user/UrbanBushBabes

Affinity http://public.fotki.com/jngn/ (no longer has pictures of her hair)

I know there's more, just can't think of them right now...

Last edited:

skraprchik

I managed to leave my hair alone for two weeks while in twists. I put in individual twists and pinned them up into various updos on a daily basis. Perfect for my life right now because it didn't require much time. I didn't take any pics though :(. I just got finished shampooing and DC'ing. I think I'm going to put in some slightly bigger twists this week and continue the same method. I'll try to remember the pics this time.

faithVA

I really don't feel like doing my hair but I have already taken my twists out. So the only decision is will I wash it tonight or tomorrow. Maybe if I flat twists my hair it will seem easier.