Twist for Growth Challenge (Fall 2011)

pookaloo83

-PYT your twist look so neat and uniform!

So tonight I'm gonna take these bad boys out. Tomorrow will make a week that they've been in. I don't think I"m gonna wash tonight, but I may and just twist them up tonight. If not, I'll just wear an 'out ' style tomorrow like a braid out or twist out then retwist. Who knows.

I'm leaning more towards washing tonight, putting them in briads or twists to stretch and then retwist tomorrow. I ran out of Qhemets AOHC. So I guess I'll just use Giovanni Direct and seal with hot six oil or grapeseed oil.

SimJam

@faithVA I believe it also depends on your method of twisting. Remember how Nonie was saying to turn each piece of hair along it's axis before twisting around the other piece? This has aided me in being able to rinse or wash my hair while in twists without them unraveling much or at all. It makes for a Very solid and smooth twist. HTH!

yes thats what I refer to as rope twists. My stylist does my hair like this when I go to her, but I want to learn how to do this for myself. They keep my frizzies at bay for atleast a week, but once I wash they get frizzy. I can still wear them but they're not as neat as I would like them. Hopefully I can find a method that allows me to cleanse my twists without looking like a street urchin after :look:

Discovered tonight that its best to apply shea butter to my ends as soon as I finish washing/conditioning my hair to keep my ends from tangling. I can then apply a leave-in and braid it up to air dry. Hopefully this will help me retain some length.

Retwisted my hair tonight smaller than I had planned. Seemed to take me forever. Will try to post a pic tomorrow.

I've been doing this especially when I twist as well. It keeps the SSKs at bay.

THANKS anything to keep those darn SSKs at bay :spinning:

faithVA

yes thats what I refer to as rope twists. My stylist does my hair like this when I go to her, but I want to learn how to do this for myself. They keep my frizzies at bay for atleast a week, but once I wash they get frizzy. I can still wear them but they're not as neat as I would like them. Hopefully I can find a method that allows me to cleanse my twists without looking like a street urchin after :look:

THANKS anything to keep those darn SSKs at bay :spinning:

I call the rope twists, single strand twists ... I think we are talking about the same thing.

Those last longer for me as well. When I twist them around each they hug for a while but then they separate. My hair actually clings together better when I don't rope them first. :ohwell:

It I 2 strand twist them and wash them the 2 strand twists won't stay. But if I undo the 2 strand twists leaving the single twist I can then wash them. Go figure :lol:

And I was applying the shea butter at while I was twisting. I just realized yesterday that for me that's too late in the process. Sealing my ends needs to be my first step before applying anything else. So glad to learn this.

natural2008

When you ladies twist your hair do you part it so make it look full and neat? Alsio, how do you all twist your roots so that stay looking tight, nice, and neat?

Seamonster

I twisted my hair with CJ honey butter, and curl queen. Hated it, the curl queen gave me no hold, my twist out looked worse than my wash and go. I am going to see if I can exchange that gel?

natural2008

My hair is in a puff today. I did a wash and a quasi-d/c. Was too tired to twist though. It is all ready for twists tonight. Hopefulle it will only take a few hours. I will take pics when done.

*Sidenote: Can ya'll help? How do you do that mention thing? I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Kenny-Ann - I am no LHCF guru but I think you may be talking about when you mention someone's name in a post. I lerned from Nonie and she can correct me if i'm wrong, but you just type @ and then the name with no same at all between the @ and the name like I did to mention you and Nonie, you see?

faithVA

When you ladies twist your hair do you part it so make it look full and neat? Alsio, how do you all twist your roots so that stay looking tight, nice, and neat?

It varies. Sometimes I part and sometimes I don't. When I do really small twist I finger part. When I do larger twist I will usually part with the end of a rat tail comb to get a straight row going to the side or back but then I will finger part the rest.

Can't help you on staying nice and neat. My twists only look neat if I apply a firm gel but that will only last for a few days.

natural2008

faithVA - So you part with a rat tail comb then you just snatch pieces of hair to twist? This sounds like it may work for me so my twist don't look spacy when finished. Thank you.

natural2008

PYT, when you did your twist did you part your hair all the way through or did you just part from ear to ear and then just grab sections to twist? Due tell due tell :0).

faithVA

@faithVA - So you part with a rat tail comb then you just snatch pieces of hair to twist? This sounds like it may work for me so my twist don't look spacy when finished. Thank you.

Yes, I have a lot of flyaway hairs and if I don't make at least 1 part, I end up with hair from other twists in the twists I am doing. The smaller your twists the less spacy they look. And with really small twists, I'm less likely to use a comb to part at all because it would just take forever. With the small twist I just finger part and just grab hair.

From my crown back looks spacey no matter what I do. I've just learned to live with it. And I will mist it with some type of moisturizer the 2nd day which plumps them up some so they look fuller and not as spacey.

Some people stagger their parts if they want their twists to lay better. I haven't mastered that yet.

natural2008

faithVA - I am horrible at parting hair. I recently like recently becasue good (well as least I think) at doing flat twist and the part that takes forever is the parting which I am not good at at all. My parting skills suck to the tenth power.

Nonie

Kenny-Ann - I am no LHCF guru but I think you may be talking about when you mention someone's name in a post. I lerned from Nonie and she can correct me if i'm wrong, but you just type @ and then the name with no same at all between the @ and the name like I did to mention you and Nonie, you see?

Kenny-Ann, natural2008 is right. You probably think you are doing it wrong because when you type it, you don't see if highlighted or underlined as a link. That's because that doesn't happen until you submit your post.

Which is how come some of us only find out we misspelled someone's name when it doesn't show up right, ie the whole word underlined as the name of a member on the forum. I am guilty of mentioning the wrong people coz of this. :hide:

-PYT

pookaloo83 I part it. I would have my hair in sections all over, and then part rows of hair and just grab from the row to twist (if that makes sense). I always wanted to try grab'n'go, though. It looks so much more natural to me.

Kenny-Ann

It worked, it worked!!! I'm so happy right now! I'd like to thank the Academy for without whose support, I would have continued to feel like an idiot.

natural2008 I'm sorry, but sometimes my fingers forget to spellcheck.

Nonie

natural2009 , Nonie , faithVA Thank you guys so very much. There are so many times I didn't comment on things because I didn't want to quote "fifty-leven" people. I hope this works!

Uhmm...did someone call?

:giggle: It worked Kenny-Ann. Quoting isn't so bad...just so that others can follow what you're responding to. But mentioning is a bonus because those you quote can know to return to see what you said. ;) You do know about "multiquote" so you can respond to everyone in one post, right? I'd still mention each one just so they know--since many people do not return to the thread so might miss what you said to them.

faithVA

[USER=58709 said:
natural2008[/USER];14259901]@faithVA - I am horrible at parting hair. I recently like recently becasue good (well as least I think) at doing flat twist and the part that takes forever is the parting which I am not good at at all. My parting skills suck to the tenth power.

You don't have to part your hair. I just part it because I have a lot of stray hairs and it can be hard to keep them separate. There isn't a right way. There are people that part and people that don't. It doesn't really matter.

Nonie

Nonie - How do you multiquote?

natural2008 In every thread, under each post, there's a button that looks like this
. You simply click on it in every post you want to quote (it changes color from blue to a pinkish hue when it's activated--like this
) and then when you click
at the bottom of the thread, the new message window opens with all the posts you wanted to quote in it, so you can respond to each one in the same post.

SimJam

Nonie are you a teacher/lecturer/instructor ?

your responses are always so concise and to the point, not to mention clear and unambiguous ... shoot I always imagine u with a red ink pen, grading our posts

OndoGirl

Finally.. A picture... Twists are almost 3 weeks old... I basically moisturized, sealed and braided the twists... I left it to dry in the braids and then unraveled.

You look so thrilled:lachen:. Your twists look very nice, you can smile...

OndoGirl

So I took my twists out on Friday night and boy were they tangled. I should not have gone 3 weeks and I should not have been washing with undiluted dr bronners. Duh. :ohwell:

So I deep conditioned, plaited with the dc in and baggied like that over night. I used l'oreal sleek silicone free conditioner, but I am looking for something stronger. Any suggestions?

So sunday morning I rinsed out and twisted on damp hair. I flat twisted the front straight back and single 2 strand twisted the back. Hopefully this style will last me until the weekend (and I will dc again and retwist). Something is wrong with my front facing camera on my phone, but I will see if hubby and take a pic of me later to post.

Nonie

Nonie are you a teacher/lecturer/instructor ?

your responses are always so concise and to the point, not to mention clear and unambiguous ... shoot I always imagine u with a red ink pen, grading our posts
No, but I'd love to be a teacher. Just too lazy to go to school for it. So I shall knock myself out homeschooling instead. :p

SimJam :lachen: at the bold. You remind me of a time my sister sent me a handwritten letter when I was in college (or was it my brother?). I replied to them with a copy of their own letter with grammar corrections made in red. Whoever it was threatened to never write to me again if I ever pull that stunt again. :lol: In retrospect, I don't blame them. It was a bit :nuts: of me to do that. You'll be relieved to know I've recovered from that lunacy and have never repeated that behavior.

Nonie, thank you ma'am, you are the best LHCF University professor in the world :0).

natural2008 :giggle: I don't know about being the best, but I do try to be as helpful as others have been to me. Thanks for the compliment

Last edited:

Kenny-Ann

No, but I'd love to be a teacher. Just to lazy to go to school for it. So I shall knock myself out homeschooling instead. :p

@SimJam :lachen: at the bold. You remind me of a time my sister sent me a handwritten letter when I was in college (or was it my brother?). I replied to them with a copy of their own letter with grammar corrections made in red. Whoever it was threatened to never write to me again if I ever pull that stunt again. :lol: In retrospect, I don't blame them. It was a bit :nuts: of me to do that. You'll be relieved to know I've recovered from that lunacy and have never repeated that behavior.

@natural2008 :giggle: I don't know about being the best, but I do try to be as helpful as others have been to me. Thanks for the compliment

@Nonie - How do you multiquote?

Ahhhhh Shucky Ducky Now.....I thin today has been one of the most informative days ever!!!

pookaloo83

So I took the twists down last night, washed, dc'd and retwisted. It's up in a banana clip like I had it before. I think I'm gonna start taking the twists down on damp hair. Maybe spray it with a spray bottle before hand. I heard a whole bunch of popping and seen broken hairs upon takedown. I lost alot of hair when I was a kid from braids on my sides. It was clean like the back of my hand. It's visible when I have the twists in. That's why I don't wear them. But whoever don't like it can kick rocks. It's the right side I'm having trouble with. I think I need to start pinning it up in a different way. Looks too scalpy.

Here's the right side.

And here's the left side.

And the back looks exactly like I how I posted teh other day with the banana clip.

LuvlyRain3

So I got the itch to flat iron as soona the weather changed so I guess I failed this challenge. I'll be cheering you ladies on from the sidelines!