TWA Support Thread

gabulldawg

Wanted to share pics! Dd said I look like a boy. Kinda shot down my confidence a bit. :lol:

Attachments

• image-2071857585.jpg
    image-2071857585.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 144
  • image-1883656445.jpg
    image-1883656445.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 139

meka72

Wanted to share pics! Dd said I look like a boy. Kinda shot down my confidence a bit. :lol:

I think you look great! My hair has been that length many times and the focus really is on your face. You have a pretty face and your hair just highlights that.

gabulldawg

Thanks, ladies. I am very self conscious because I've never had my hair this short. So dd shook me. When we were going to dinner she told me I needed to go get a wig because no one wants to see my bald head. She said it three or four times. Dh tried to correct her. I know kids are black and white and are big on societal norms and she's not used to seeing women with short/no hair. I may show her some pics today.

I honestly thought about going to get a wig and I honestly haven't completely ruled it out yet. But I have to remember that part of the reason I'm doing this is for her. I don't want her to grow up thinking that she needs chemicals or weave/wigs to be beautiful.

almond eyes

Thanks, ladies. I am very self conscious because I've never had my hair this short. So dd shook me. When we were going to dinner she told me I needed to go get a wig because no one wants to see my bald head. She said it three or four times. Dh tried to correct her. I know kids are black and white and are big on societal norms and she's not used to seeing women with short/no hair. I may show her some pics today.

I honestly thought about going to get a wig and I honestly haven't completely ruled it out yet. But I have to remember that part of the reason I'm doing this is for her. I don't want her to grow up thinking that she needs chemicals or weave/wigs to be beautiful.

Hi. You have a great face. Congrats.

I shaved my hair in May much shorter than yours. I have been short before but not as short as in May. It took me a while to get used to. I have received mostly positive comments and mostly from men black and white. I must say children in the beginning were like huh? But you know that is this society with its messed up norms about women with short hair.

It takes a while to feel completely comfortable and not want to run towards the nearest wig store or get some hair extensions but you have to be patient. Like anything else your hair will bear fruit and you will discover the true essence of your self esteem. But if you feel that uncomfortable then a wig may help however, it may just end up being a crutch and could set back your hair goals.

I am almost at month four and I am like grow already!!!!But for me it has helped me to really understand my hair much better and I am liking my hair each day. My advice just keep affirming yourself and just wait for another six months and you will be amazed at where you started off from.

Just be gentle with your hair and keep your moisture regiment up so your afro doesn't look and feel extra dry.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
Im still not that comfortable wearing my twa yet either. Im gradually wearing it out. I wear it out on the weekends & wear a wig during the week.

I can't wait to get to SL. I think ill be comfortable then.

bronzephoenix

6 months ago today I went from MBL to TWA!

The first pic is immediately after putting the scissors down on March 10th. It was a bit stretched & 100% dry.

The second is my freshly co-washed hair this morning, September 10th. It was un-manipulated & still very wet.

The sides are now actually SL & the back is more like CBL.This was my last major cut before going for terminal length. Making progress and enjoying every stage of growth this time around! ;)

image-609793004.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

almond eyes

The first pic is immediately after putting the scissors down on March 10th. It was a bit stretched & 100% dry.

The second is my freshly co-washed hair this morning, September 10th. It was un-manipulated & still very wet.

The sides are now actually SL & the back is more like CBL.This was my last major cut before going for terminal length. Making progress and enjoying every stage of growth this time around! ;)

View attachment 276193

That was good growth. Beautiful pics. Any tips?

Last edited:

gabulldawg

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies! I showed dd some pictures of "bald" ladies yesterday. I don't know what she thought. :lol: I have played around with my hair today since I'm off. I moisturized it really well. I went out and bought some aloe Vera juice and mixed it with water. I sprayed that then applied curl enhancing smoothie, then some oil, and then some Eco styler gel. I blow dried my hair on cool for 10 minutes. It definitely looks a lot more moisturized. I can see my small curls forming. When I got my hair cut the stylist shampooed my hair afterward and I think that contributed to some dryness. I think I've mentioned that I'm on the no shampoo regimen and plan to continue that to improve moisture.

I don't know if it's because my hair looks better, but I'm feeling it more today. I'm looking forward to watching it grow!

Guinan

Re-Branding

View attachment 276193

OMG! Your growth is AWESOME & inspiring:yep:

gabulldawg

Just wanted to share a pic of my moisturized twa. Looks a lot better! Hope to up the moisture even more once I do my first dc and get on a regimen. It seems like in struggling most with dryness around my edges. Is that normal?

Attachments

• image-872414769.jpg
    image-872414769.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

almond eyes

Just wanted to share a pic of my moisturized twa. Looks a lot better! Hope to up the moisture even more once I do my first dc and get on a regimen. It seems like in struggling most with dryness around my edges. Is that normal?

Are you high porosity?

I began to notice changes in my hair once my hair became water trained.

Best,
Almond Eyes

almond eyes

I have no idea. :lol: How do I figure that out?

If you are high porosity like me your hair is naturally dry. My hair is also fine.

For me, for three months every morning I washed my hair with Dr. Bonner's mild baby unscented soap and conditioned afterwards. I only used kinky curly knot today diluted leave in. At first my hair was very dry at first. But then I stuck with it. Now my hair loves water and thrives on it.

I began to notice that my hair started to become very moist and stayed that way. Now, I condition wash everyday and only shampoo and condition weekly. When I co wash I do not need to put globs of conditioner in my hair. I only use lots of conditioner when I am shampooing my hair.

I would not use any blow dryers on your hair right now. You don't need it.

Best,
Almond Eyes

ckisland

gabulldawg, Oh My Goodness, you look gorgeous :love:!!!!!! You looks so regal :yep: . Welcome to the Natural Side :flowers:

If it makes you feel any better about you DD, my mom said I should wear a hat so people won't think I have cancer when I BC'd :lol:. Now she says that it grew on her, and that she's going to cut hers all off too one day. I've even gotten a few compliments from her :grin:. You're doing such a brave thing for her; she just doesn't realize it yet :yep:.

ckisland

I wore my first post-BC twistout today, and I love it!!!!!! One thing I need to remember is that smoothing/curling cremes are my friend, and butters are not. Yay for another styling option!!!!!!!!! :grin:

nisemac

gabulldawg i don't see it--the looking like a boy. you look cute and flirty to me. you really look good.

i'm struggling now. i can shellac my hair down and wear a pony piece but i miss my twa.

i keep telling myself to let it grow but i get so impatient. and to be honest, i think i feel more confident and sensual with my twa. no issues ssks or split ends. hair is always soft (especially the nape).

if i can hold out through winter, i should be good.

gabulldawg

gabulldawg i don't see it--the looking like a boy. you look cute and flirty to me. you really look good.

i'm struggling now. i can shellac my hair down and wear a pony piece but i miss my twa.

i keep telling myself to let it grow but i get so impatient. and to be honest, i think i feel more confident and sensual with my twa. no issues ssks or split ends. hair is always soft (especially the nape).

if i can hold out through winter, i should be good.

Thank you! Most adults also say they like it. So I'm trying to build up my confidence with it. DD hasn't said anything else about it lately. She hasn't told me to put on a wig or anything. I even went to pick her up from school yesterday and I thought she would have something to say then, but she didn't say anything. None of her little friends looked at me crazy, either. :lol: I really want to give my natural hair a chance. I don't want to just run and grab another wig. At least not now. I want a wig to be an option, not a necessity. :nono:

gabulldawg

If you are high porosity like me your hair is naturally dry. My hair is also fine.

For me, for three months every morning I washed my hair with Dr. Bonner's mild baby unscented soap and conditioned afterwards. I only used kinky curly knot today diluted leave in. At first my hair was very dry at first. But then I stuck with it. Now my hair loves water and thrives on it.

I began to notice that my hair started to become very moist and stayed that way. Now, I condition wash everyday and only shampoo and condition weekly. When I co wash I do not need to put globs of conditioner in my hair. I only use lots of conditioner when I am shampooing my hair.

I would not use any blow dryers on your hair right now. You don't need it.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Thank you! I think I must be high porosity as well, then. My hair seems dry. I DC'ed and cowashed last night and i think that helped increase the moisture. I don't plan to use any heat anytime soon.

almond eyes

Thank you! I think I must be high porosity as well, then. My hair seems dry. I DC'ed and cowashed last night and i think that helped increase the moisture. I don't plan to use any heat anytime soon.

Knowing you are high porosity is a great start. You don't need to DC and co wash by the way you can choose one. You need to just make sure that you get under a warm shower and get your hair wet everyday that way. If you have fine hair you shouldn't over condition your hair. It's the water that makes your products work better.

Once your hair gets used to the water, you will even not need to use a lot of products as your natural sebum will kick in. And you will not even need to be under the shower for long periods of time. My whole wash routine takes less than 15-20 minutes.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

nisemac

update: when i returned to the US in April, i cut off any color and China damage, and started psuedo-fresh again. the photo in my sig is how i've been wearing my hair since end of June. i'm basically shellac-ing my hair down with gobs of Eco styler gel and coaxing it into a little knot. tonight, i decided to blow out my hair and check the length.

i think i just might make it....i said might. i'm having no issues with the pony tail. i wash and condition my hair every 3-4 days and use the Aphogee 2 minute 1x a week. Cantu leave in, twist and seal. in the a.m. i undo the twist, add gel smooth my hair and use a seamless band make a tiny topknot. wrap with scarf and let set, then attach the hair. everyone thinks its my hair.

i may try to keep this as my style through the fall/winter. i ain't gonna lie, even while i was blowdrying, i was thinking, where can i find a barber. :lol:

Attachments

• fro.jpg
    fro.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 44

Mz.MoMo5235

Lmfao I promise I'm running around with Mr. Glass hair... Except his hair is longer :lol:

On a happy note though, apparently that cantu stuff is exactly what my crown needed. It took about a week I guess for my hair to start feeling better but my crown finally feels normal again. I also did an egg protein treatment and DC'd with the last of my CD deep cond. Now I just need to get out of this awkward phase and I'm good to go.

I'm really upset about my cut now though because the only reason why I cut it again was so that it would be easier to deal with to take care of the dryness issue in my crown. Had I switched to cantu as my leave in before the cut and got the results I have now I wouldnt have cut again.

I love twa's but I can not stand the grow out process. Its quite depressing this go around for some reason.