TWA Support Thread

I was 3 months post BC yesterday. I committed to taking a LC picture or two or three on the 10th of each month to document my growth. I think I will notice a difference, or at least I hope I will, in another couple of months or so.

That's a good idea. I may do the same thing. It could give me some encouragement

Starting to get the cut bug. I think I did more damage to my hair than I had anticipated over the year. I wasn't really taking care of it up until a month or two ago. I kind want to big chop and start fresh

Starting to get the cut bug. I think I did more damage to my hair than I had anticipated over the year. I wasn't really taking care of it up until a month or two ago. I kind want to big chop and start fresh

What happened? Your hair looks good to me.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Your hair is so lovely though! Are you sure there's damage? Or you just have itchy scissor fingers? *side eyes*

Sent from my SPH-L300 using LHCF please ignore typos

What happened? Your hair looks good to me.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Looks are deceiving :lol: It's really just one part of my head that's annoying me. A long time ago I put a texturizer on the back my head (not the top) and my hair hasn't been the same since. It is dry and frizz central. I have been growing it out for awhile so I think most of the damage is gone.

However...I used two permanent colors within 3 weeks of each other some time after that and I think that's what really did my hair in. It's only my crown that's giving me excessive problems. It's dry, the curl pattern is jacked, and it tangles easily.

I made an appointment just in case. If I chicken out, I'll just get it styled.

Your hair is so lovely though! Are you sure there's damage? Or you just have itchy scissor fingers? *side eyes* Sent from my SPH-L300 using LHCF please ignore typos

No it's damaged :lol: Just the one part at my crown. I think I'm just gonna see what my stylist can do to help me cope with it.

My crown is being a jerk as well. Its super dry and kinda straight o_o I have no clue why though. My hair hates me right now

My crown is being a jerk as well. Its super dry and kinda straight o_o I have no clue why though. My hair hates me right now Sent from my SPH-L300 using LHCF please ignore typos

Omg I'm glad it's not just me. My crown is being ridiculous right now!

i have issues with my crown too. i think its because the texture is so different from the rest of my head. i've got soft, fine strands in the front and nape, and coarse, medium ones in the crown.

Been gone from this thread for a minute. Been busy with work and my DD started school on the 20th. Got my hair done today and my stylist blew it out to prepare for my hairstyle and I was shocked at how big my fro was. Here's my hair at my BC and at 4 months post. Always looks as if it's not growing much but taking pictures really helps you see the difference.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140829_115221.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140829_115221.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 70
My crown is being a jerk as well. Its super dry and kinda straight o_o I have no clue why though. My hair hates me right now

My crown is always super dry as well but it's also one of the fastest growing parts of my hair because I baby it the most. I think it's because the crown of your head is hit the most by the elements especially the sun. So for me I apply most of moisturizer to my crown and seal it with a heavier sealant. I also add more deep conditioner to that section as well. These things have seem to be helping

I'm trying to find a new leave in to moisturize my crown. My usual leave in no longer works (using Aussie moist rinse out cond as leave in), CD hair butter isnt working, raw shea butter isnt working, hair grease isnt working, and all of my oils arent working. My crown gets stupid dry usually the day after wash day (using the CD hair butter. Everything else my crown feels terrible about 3-5hrs after hair has fully air dried). Oddly enough the rest of my hair is thriving with what ever I use.

This all started when I moved to a new town. Makes me wonder if its the water or something.

I'm trying to find a new leave in to moisturize my crown. My usual leave in no longer works (using Aussie moist rinse out cond as leave in), CD hair butter isnt working, raw shea butter isnt working, hair grease isnt working, and all of my oils arent working. My crown gets stupid dry usually the day after wash day (using the CD hair butter. Everything else my crown feels terrible about 3-5hrs after hair has fully air dried). Oddly enough the rest of my hair is thriving with what ever I use.

This all started when I moved to a new town. Makes me wonder if its the water or something.

I was experimenting this weekend and I think I found a combination that worked (so far). I always put a curl cream or moisturizing butter after my leave in, but this time I applied more product on the crown. I also added one pump of Wen 613 onto my crown (just for good measure :lol:). I must say, my crown has been tangle free and moisturized.

I hope this wasn't a fluke though...I had a serious wash and detangling session Friday and Saturday. This crown was getting moisturized whether it wanted to or not! :lol: My efforts have paid off so far.

Bald spot or not, I'm not gonna let this take down my self esteem! Still proudly rocking my TWA. You can kinda see the area where it's not as full, but thankfully I just have to move some pieces around to make it work.This is today's wash and go.

I love the curls what did you do and use to achieve this look? My front is a little shorter than yours divine

I might have found something to help with my dry crown. I'm using cantu shea butter leave in topped with SM curl enhancing smoothie. My crown is less dry but its still not as moisturized as the rest of my hair. Still dont know whats causing the dry crown but I'm wishing it would stop right about now.

I'm hoping with time it will become more moisturized but not sure about that. I really hope its not a temp fix and gets all straw like after a few wks of use!

Also these cause way more shrinkage than I'm used to. While at this length I'm not the biggest fan of shrinkage but when my hair gets longer I will enjoy this shrinkage so long as the prods keep up with moisture long term

I might have found something to help with my dry crown. I'm using cantu shea butter leave in topped with SM curl enhancing smoothie. My crown is less dry but its still not as moisturized as the rest of my hair. Still dont know whats causing the dry crown but I'm wishing it would stop right about now.

I'm hoping with time it will become more moisturized but not sure about that. I really hope its not a temp fix and gets all straw like after a few wks of use!

Also these cause way more shrinkage than I'm used to. While at this length I'm not the biggest fan of shrinkage but when my hair gets longer I will enjoy this shrinkage so long as the prods keep up with moisture long term

What are you using to seal with?

What are you using to seal with?

I'm taking a mini break from sealing as that seemed to make things worse. I honestly dont know what going on with my hair. Everything that has worked for me during my transition and years of being natural no longer seems to be working. I have had the same reggie for so long that I'm a bit out of the loop with stuff.

First I was sealing with my usual oil mix (evco, ovoo, castor oil, eo all mixed) but it didnt make any difference. I thought maybe my hair magically developed an aversion to evco (has I often see people say their hair can not handle that much evco and it makes their hair hard) even though I've been using it for YEARS. So I switched to just evoo and castor oil, then just plain evoo.

In another thread someone was saying it might be a protein issue. I guess the cantu stuff is high in protein?

I'm rocking 3rd day hair right now and my crown still feels pretty good with the cantu. Still not as moisturized as the rest of my hair, but no longer like straw/crows nest. It even has curls again. But its still not feeling normal.

When was your last clarify? ^^^^@Mz.MoMo5235?

I clarified monthly/every other month. However when the dryness started I stopped thinking I was clarifying too often. But that didnt help so then I started to clarify every 2wks (because I started to use hair grease to see if that helped the dryness) and that did nothing as well. I have decided as of a few days ago to go back to doing it on a monthly to every other month basis though.

I'll be 6 months post in 7 days!!!! I can't believe it, and honestly I don't know if my hair is growing on pace or slow :look:. I might be stunting my retention by only washing once a week and barely moisturizing in between. It's time to buckle down.

Starting this week, I will cowash every other day, DC 1x a week, and shampoo every other week. Hopefully I'll see some improvement soon :yep:

Well I'm officially sporting a TWA. I think I am in shock right now. :lol:

1. BC date - today! (9/9/2014)

2. Hair type/ describe your hair - I think I'm considered a 4c. I have very tiny curls. They are defined, but very small.

3. Reggie/Products - I will have to figure out a regimen. Right now my plan is to do regular co-washes and minimal shampooing (maybe once a month) and do wash n gos with eco gel and maybe mousse.

4. Goal(s) - my goal is to grow my hair as long as it will get and to not put anymore chemicals on it.

Well I'm officially sporting a TWA. I think I am in shock right now. :lol: 1. BC date - today! (9/9/2014) 2. Hair type/ describe your hair - I think I'm considered a 4c. I have very tiny curls. They are defined, but very small. 3. Reggie/Products - I will have to figure out a regimen. Right now my plan is to do regular co-washes and minimal shampooing (maybe once a month) and do wash. n gos with eco gel and maybe mousse. Goal(s) - my goal is to grow my hair as long as it will get and to not put anymore chemicals on it.
Congratulations. Please upload some pictures. How long did you transition if any? How much hair do you have? Did you cut it yourself or did someone else? Do you have any experience with natural hair. I ended my transition after a little over a year of transition on 8/2/14.

Congratulations. Please upload some pictures. How long did you transition if any? How much hair do you have? Did you cut it yourself or did someone else? Do you have any experience with natural hair. I ended my transition after a little over a year of transition on 8/2/14.

Thank you! I will definitely take tons of pics when I get home. My last relaxer was sometime in June, so I guess about 2-3 months? I don't have very much hair at all. :lol: I did get it tapered so it would have a style, so it's a lot shorter on the back and sides. I had it professionally done. I don't have much experience with natural hair. I didn't get a perm until around junior high or so, but back then I was getting it professionally straightened every two weeks and didn't do very much to it myself. I'm excited about the journey!

Thank you! I will definitely take tons of pics when I get home. My last relaxer was sometime in June, so I guess about 2-3 months? I don't have very much hair at all. :lol: I did get it tapered so it would have a style, so it's a lot shorter on the back and sides. I had it professionally done. I don't have much experience with natural hair. I didn't get a perm until around junior high or so, but back then I was getting it professionally straightened every two weeks and didn't do very much to it myself. I'm excited about the journey!
Your welcome. I don't have experience with natural hair or perm hair for that matter either I've always gone to salon every two weeks. I never. Had the desire to do anything with hair until now. Since I've got my hair cut I've decided to cut down on salon visits to once a month. I really want to learn to do my hair myself with minimum salon visits for color, trims or straightening.

My friend just took a pic to send to hubby and I looked at it and totally freaked out! i have no hair!! :pullhair: OMG! What was I thinking!?!!? :ohwell::perplexed

Aw sending you a hug. Hopefully it will grow on you in a few days.

Thank you. DH has responded quite well to it. He has said I look good, I look cute, and that I wear it well. :lol: Maybe once I get home and can play around with it and put on makeup and whatnot I will like it more. I have never had my hair this short, so it was a shock to see myself with short hair. I'm getting interesting responses at work. Almost all of the people that have commented have said it looks nice and that it suits me. Then there are people who are acting like they don't even notice. :lol: So weird.:spinning:

Thank you. DH has responded quite well to it. He has said I look good, I look cute, and that I wear it well. :lol: Maybe once I get home and can play around with it and put on makeup and whatnot I will like it more. I have never had my hair this short, so it was a shock to see myself with short hair. I'm getting interesting responses at work. Almost all of the people that have commented have said it looks nice and that it suits me. Then there are people who are acting like they don't even notice. :lol: So weird.:spinning:
Glad he likes it. Ultimately you and his opinions are the only ones that matter. This is the shortest hair I've ever had I had to adjust to it. I've started wearing big earrings and necklaces. I don't wear makeup so I've just been wearing different earring and necklace combinations. I'm looking forward to longer hair though.

Back