Quick ? - Thick/U shape support thread

LynnieB

Girl i dunno but i wish there was just so i can lurk and see what folks is doin.

When that hair is thick and U shaped, it does have certain "issues" :lachen:

...........watchin this thread...................

Neala21

I'm sure there are other ladies out there who have thick hair/u-shaped.

I'm one of them - but I know sometimes I have issues with my thick hair... I break combs of all sorts, scrunchies/ponytail holders, banana clips and the list could go on.

I'm sure we could lend each other support as I've seen a fine/thin support thread, coarse support thread and even a v-shaped support thread...I feel like those with thick hair are left out.

Many ladies aim to achieve thick hair or even the u-shape but I have difficulties like taming all the thickness, trying to wear certain styles, bangs (always come out really thick like a major bushy no-no:nono:)

I'm using so much product :wallbash: (hair just soaks it in, have good porosity but I know thick hair has more layers)

What are some tips and helpful advice?
  • Maintaing Thick Hair
  • Do's & Don'ts
  • Certain Products Used
  • Regiments/Hair Practices
  • Pics are also great as well....:yep:

Neala21

Bumping Bumping

• I personally, now use organic products (AO & Giovanni) as they work for my new growth and relaxed hair
  • Its a must for me to use WIDE TOOTH COMBS at all times, nothing small works for me.
  • Large Paddle Brushes, Large Roundbrushes
  • Large Sectioning of Hair is better as it helps with defeating terrible knots and tangles
  • LOTS OF PATIENCE (sometimes my hands get tired from all the work)
I also have to find sturdy ponytail holders that won't break under my hair pressure especially when I try to wrap it that last time for a good ponytail and then it just snaps so then i have to start over and instead of starting over i get mad and opted for a another style which is frustrating.:wallbash::wallbash:

Neala21

:look:

How do you know if your hair is thick?

I know you can determine it by using a piece of thread and compare it to a strand of your hair. If your strand is thicker than the thread then you have thick hair, if it's the same size you have medium, if its thinner then you have thin hair.

JustKiya

I know you can determine it by using a piece of thread and compare it to a strand of your hair. If your strand is thicker than the thread then you have thick hair, if it's the same size you have medium, if its thinner then you have thin hair.

Ah. Interesting. :look:

I thought that was the definition of coarse hair. I thought thickness related to how MUCH hair you had on your head - you can have coarse thin hair (big strands, not a lot of them on your head) and fine thick hair (thin strands, but a whole lot of them on your head), and so forth.

Neala21

That is the way to tell coarse hair as well. The two are determined in such a way. Not all thick hair to me seems to be coarse. Mine isn't. I also have high density.

Like coarse hair texture, which is characterized by each hair having large diameter,may have a low density, with few hair per square inch

while file hair texture, characterized by each having a small diameter, may have high density, with many individual hairs per square inch

Coarse hair usually tends to feel hard and wiry, they are thick strands.

A strand of frayed thread is about the thickness of a medium size strand of human hair. If your strand is larger than this, then your hair is thick. If it is smaller than it is thin or fine.

Hair Texture

Hair texture is measured by the degree of fineness or coarseness of your hair, which varies according to the diameter of each individual hair. Hair experts generally agree that there are four major types of hair texture which are Fine, Medium, Coarse and Wiry.
Within the four texture ranges hair can also be thin, medium or thick density and it can be straight, curly, wavy or kinky. Hair condition will also alter the ultimate equation and can be healthy, normal, oily, dry, damaged or a combination.

So to me it varies to each person (genes and all) My hair doesn't fall into coarse category, its medium but thick

naturalgurl

That's what we are! Thick U shaped girls. I just thought there were only the tail girls. Wow, I belong...finally!

Neala21

That's what we are! Thick U shaped girls. I just thought there were only the tail girls. Wow, I belong...finally!

I used to think that too, because I saw how some cut for the blunt or had natural v shapes.

My twin tried to tell me I had a v-shape and I know good well i don't unless i trim in v-shape.

I love my thick u shape. Welcome to the family!

Now only if we can find more family out there......:rolleyes:

Soliel185

The things that have helped me the most are:

1: Doing EVERYTHING in sections. Trying to deal with your whole head at once is overwhelming! :wallbash:

2: Putting all my Conditioners and moisturizers in spray bottles or applicator bottles so I can be sure to get every inch. When I just smooth it on there's always a few sections that're missed.

3: It makes your buns and french twists/rolls look very nice and full. My hair up looks longer than it is b/c the bun is so big.:yep:

Neala21

1: Doing EVERYTHING in sections. Trying to deal with your whole head at once is overwhelming! :wallbash:

2: Putting all my Conditioners and moisturizers in spray bottles or applicator bottles so I can be sure to get every inch. When I just smooth it on there's always a few sections that're missed.

3: It makes your buns and french twists/rolls look very nice and full. My hair up looks longer than it is b/c the bun is so big.:yep:

Yeah the sections help ...but after awhile my hands get very tired.
Oooh I might need to try the spray/applicator bottles for conditioners. Seems like this would really help me

glam-

I'm sure there are other ladies out there who have thick hair/u-shaped.

I'm one of them - but I know sometimes I have issues with my thick hair... I break combs of all sorts, scrunchies/ponytail holders, banana clips and the list could go on.

I'm using so much product :wallbash: (hair just soaks it in, have good porosity but I know thick hair has more layers)

Okay, the bolded are so me.

glam-

^^Hmm, well maybe I'm not then, I do break barrettes and people always say my hair is thick & bushy, but if I do a traditional bun (twist and pin) it looks pitiful, my messy buns (just fed through a scrunchie and tucked) look nice and full though.

ladylibra

i'm not a U-shape yet... still working on growing out these d*mn layers... :cry3:

i'm down to support a thick U-shaped thread! :grin: i have thick strands AND very dense hair... comb breakers of the board, UNITE! :lol:

tallnomad

Comb breaker checking in. :grin:

I've been in salons before where they were blowing out my hair and I broke the blow out comb. Very embarrassing!

I specifically did a search for thick hair. I also just started using MT, so I'm sure it's going to get even thicker. I love it, but I get very overwhelmed.

I feel like I have to use both my hands, feet and elbows and the aid of someone else if I want to wear my hair pulled back. It's extremely frustrating.

I would love to wear a wet bun to maintain moisture and increase growth, but I'm not sure this is possible. I rely on braids to help give my hair some sort of civility. I have to wash it in braids or else I'll have a serious mess on my hands.

I really do need some support. Has anyone with dense, super thick hair been able to achieve wet buns?

anon123

I don't quite understand this thread. What is the relationship between having thick hair and a u-shaped cut? For what it's worth, my strands are mostly medium in diameter, some fine, but I have a lot of them (high density). I am quite layered, with the back looking between a u and a v.

betty-boo

Okay, okay, you all have beautiful thick hair that falls in a U-shape. Now how did you get there is the question????
Are there any tips any of you can offer me?????? Because I know my hair wants to be thick like all the thickanishtas on this thread.
How often do you trim or do you just dust?

N

nappysunflowers

Thick haired girl here. Been breaking combs since '85...

tallnomad

Okay, okay, you all have beautiful thick hair that falls in a U-shape. Now how did you get there is the question????
Are there any tips any of you can offer me?????? Because I know my hair wants to be thick like all the thickanishtas on this thread.
How often do you trim or do you just dust?

i personally have had thick hair all my life. i mean, ultra, crazy thick hair. not sure if young rudy huxtable had anything on me. i've been wearing cornrows off and on for about a year and a half and wore my hair wet for a few days last week. i couldn't believe that my hair actually seemed like it had gotten thicker. not sure if the cornrows contributed to that, but i was taking Alta Silica supplements (thanks Vevster) and I think that may have added more thickness to my hair. I know that those pills make my nails super thick so I'm assuming they made my hair more dense.

betty-boo

Thanks Tiffcurl,
So it seems like leaving the hair alone and keeping it very moist helps a lot. I need to look into that alta silica! Thing is, I used to break combs, but this hasn't happened in a while. I feel my hair is getting thinner as its getting longer....:perplexed

Aggie

Ah. Interesting. :look:

I thought that was the definition of coarse hair. I thought thickness related to how MUCH hair you had on your head - you can have coarse thin hair (big strands, not a lot of them on your head) and fine thick hair (thin strands, but a whole lot of them on your head), and so forth.

This was my understanding as well JK.

Aggie

That is the way to tell coarse hair as well. The two are determined in such a way. Not all thick hair to me seems to be coarse. Mine isn't. I also have high density.

Like coarse hair texture, which is characterized by each hair having large diameter,may have a low density, with few hair per square inch

while file hair texture, characterized by each having a small diameter, may have high density, with many individual hairs per square inch

Coarse hair usually tends to feel hard and wiry, they are thick strands.

A strand of frayed thread is about the thickness of a medium size strand of human hair. If your strand is larger than this, then your hair is thick. If it is smaller than it is thin or fine.

Hair Texture

Hair texture is measured by the degree of fineness or coarseness of your hair, which varies according to the diameter of each individual hair. Hair experts generally agree that there are four major types of hair texture which are Fine, Medium, Coarse and Wiry.
Within the four texture ranges hair can also be thin, medium or thick density and it can be straight, curly, wavy or kinky. Hair condition will also alter the ultimate equation and can be healthy, normal, oily, dry, damaged or a combination.

So to me it varies to each person (genes and all) My hair doesn't fall into coarse category, its medium but thick

This makes sense too. I wish I could join this support thread but I have fine hair. Good luck ladies and happy growing.

Ediese

The individual strands of my hair is thin, but since I have so many strands it gives the appearance of me having 'thick' hair. That way you're describing isn't always accurate.

I'm a thick hair/u shaped gyal. When I'm not wearing weaves, I just wash my hair leave a little conditioner in and put it back in a wet bun. Really simple and fast.