TWA Support Thread

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
took out the weave for a break. think i'lll actually try some styles on my head. it's been months and i'm curious.

APrayer4Hair

I started this thread almost 2 years ago and I'm glad to see it is still active!! I'm in braids right now but I'll post a pic of my progress. I chopped 6/2012 to this

image-4005075574.jpg

Now at this:

image-2333000893.jpg

Stretched I'm somewhere between SL and APL I guess.

Fight the good fight ladies!!! :clap:

KinkyRN

I started this thread almost 2 years ago and I'm glad to see it is still active!! I'm in braids right now but I'll post a pic of my progress. I chopped 6/2012 to this

Now at this:

Stretched I'm somewhere between SL and APL I guess.

Fight the good fight ladies!!! :clap:

Beautiful! Nice growth

robot.

Purchased the njoy growth oil but wasn't consistent with a week-long inversion because I began to break out. :nono: I never cover my hair and I would oil my scalp before bed. I might try it again but this breakout has me so nervous. I bought a bonnet and changed my pillowcases. I do think my hair looks a bit fuller.

I'm going to buy the design essentials (i think) mousse and gel. I want to see how I like the mousse for reviving my hair in the morning instead of cowashing.

Divine.

The back of my hair is always so dry! This is the main reason I haven't taken the time to grow my hair out. The back just always feels dry and crispy no matter what I do. I doused my hair with leave in and shea moisture today to no avail. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Divine.

I noticed that my edges and nape love protein. Could it be your protein/moisture balance?

It could be. But I would think the rest of my hair would feel the same way? I'm just going to be on top of moisturizing my hair for the next few days.

meka72

The back of my hair is always so dry! This is the main reason I haven't taken the time to grow my hair out. The back just always feels dry and crispy no matter what I do. I doused my hair with leave in and shea moisture today to no avail. Is anyone else experiencing this?

My daughter has one quadrant of her head where the hair is different (breaks easily, grows more slowly) from the rest of her hair. That section of hair is hipo and the rest of her hair is lopo. Could you have a similar issue?

Divine.

My daughter has one quadrant of her head where the hair is different (breaks easily, grows more slowly) from the rest of her hair. That section of hair is hipo and the rest of her hair is lopo. Could you have a similar issue?

meka72 You know...this seems like it may be my problem! I did the porosity test on the top portion of my hair, and that section is low porosity. Since the back of my hair is still pretty short, I can't perform the test there. I'm almost certain, this section is high porosity. How does your daughter combat this?

meka72

meka72 You know...this seems like it may be my problem! I did the porosity test on the top portion of my hair, and that section is low porosity. Since the back of my hair is still pretty short, I can't perform the test there. I'm almost certain, this section is high porosity. How does your daughter combat this?

Well she doesn't listen to her moma. Lol. She has made a concerted effort to use more protein, of the kitchen variety, all over her hair but more so in that area. She's been mixing banana and coconut milk. I think she is more heavy handed with product in the hipo area. I'll ask her what else she does and update if necessary.

curlyTisME

Death to shrinkage! I love my TWA but the shrinkage sucks. I have been thoroughly debating between a summer of WNGs or a summer of flat twistouts. WNGs last a day, fail, and I hate having to coat my hair in gel. All that alongside the fact my roots never look right. It's a lose lose to me. I more so like my unmanipulated texture hence why I'm loving and leaning towards twist outs. The problem is I wonder if I can solely use twists outs as the summer gets hotter. I layer products and I worry about buildup but clarifying is H***on my hair if it's done more than once a month. Right now I use three products to create the perfect twistout, one being a cream leave in and the other being a cream moisturizer after I apply oil. (LOC) Suggestions ladies?

traceedeebee

I hope it's not too late to join this thread.

1. BC date September 21, 2013

2. Hair type/ describe your hairType 4 - The best way to describe my hair is a mix. The strands vary in how thick they are and the density also varies.

3. Reggie/ProductsI prefer low manipulation or protective styles. Currently, I'm wearing individual braids that I did myself with my hair. It's just easy to cleanse after I workout.
Since this is first installation of braids, I plan on shampooing with Neutrogena(sp) T-SAL after three weeks. Deep conditioning with Giovanni's Smooth as Silk Deep Conditioner with Xtreme Hair Protein. I may follow up with a Cantu Shea deep conditioner. It depends on how my hair feels. Then apply Giovanni Direct Leave in, my oil mix, and braid.
While wearing braids, I cowash three times a week with As I Am Coconut Cowash, apply Giovanni Direct Leave in, and my oil mix.
Between cleansing sessions, I use the LOC method. I use my lavendar water spritz, jbco oil mix, and Cantu Shea Leave in (cream).
So far so good, this has been working for my hair.

4. Goal(s)
Hair goals??? I don't really have one. I guess this is the time to set something I want to grow my hair back to where it was before I big chopped. I guess shoulder length is my first goal for the sides and front. I've reached that for the nape section, and the crown is on it's way.

I'll post a picture later. My most recent one is of my braids and it's on my phone. I tend to leave my phone at home.

Sholapie

*perm rod set*
I can finally do a style :weird: I thought I would end up looking like :hair: lol

I hope this lasts a few days.

Last edited:

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I want to join too...I hope it's not too late:
1. BC date 5/10/2014 (exactly 10 months post)
2. Hair type is 4-something - I definitively have springy coils
3. Reggie/products - now this is where it gets interesting
Cleansing - Honey, Baking Soda Water, Eden Bodyworks CoWash - Kinky Curly Come Clean (sparingly-I use this because I bought it and it's ok but I'm loving no poo).
Conditioning - Kanechom Goat Milk & Cocoa, SD Vanilla Silk, SD Destination Hydration, SD Wheat Germ Butter, Yogurt, AVJ, coconut oil and various other oils, honey, Kinky Curly Knot Today
Styling - I am currently trying to find my go to...I'm working on a defined but soft WNG...my kid says its impossible but I'm hard to convince. Currently I'm alternating between the Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Camille Rose Curl Maker, Eden Bodyworks Pudding Soufflé, ECO Styler Olive Oil and I just bought some Design Essentials Natural Honey Curlforming Custard.
4. My goal is healthy BSL or longer hair.

image-2023418704.jpg

The first pic is literally the start of my HHJ (5/13/2012) almost exactly 2 years to the day of my BC (5/10/2014). I swore as long as Optimum kept making relaxers, I would keep getting them. :)

meka72

I want to join too...I hope it's not too late:
1. BC date 5/10/2014 (exactly 10 months post)
2. Hair type is 4-something - I definitively have springy coils
3. Reggie/products - now this is where it gets interesting
Cleansing - Honey, Baking Soda Water, Eden Bodyworks CoWash - Kinky Curly Come Clean (sparingly-I use this because I bought it and it's ok but I'm loving no poo).
Conditioning - Kanechom Goat Milk & Cocoa, SD Vanilla Silk, SD Destination Hydration, SD Wheat Germ Butter, Yogurt, AVJ, coconut oil and various other oils, honey, Kinky Curly Knot Today
Styling - I am currently trying to find my go to...I'm working on a defined but soft WNG...my kid says its impossible but I'm hard to convince. Currently I'm alternating between the Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Camille Rose Curl Maker, Eden Bodyworks Pudding Soufflé, ECO Styler Olive Oil and I just bought some Design Essentials Natural Honey Curlforming Custard.
4. My goal is healthy BSL or longer hair.

The first pic is literally the start of my HHJ (5/13/2012) almost exactly 2 years to the day of my BC (5/10/2014). I swore as long as Optimum kept making relaxers, I would keep getting them. :)

Love your hair and your pretty smile!

lookingforkeona

1. BC date 1/21/2014 I don't know exactly when I stopped getting perms. I was probably about 3 months post but I didn't care, I'm pretty sure it was all damaged so I chopped below the new growth.
2. Hair type is 4a. I have tight coils all through my head except the top, they are looser. There are even some random almost straight hairs. Dunno what that's about.
3. Reggie/products -I use a lot of coconut oil, I'm cutting out how much protein I put in my hair though to see if it makes it softer. I use CD Hair Milk as a moisturizer but it sucks so I'm looking for a new one. I use Cantu Grow Strong strengthening treatment and CD Lisa's Hair Elixir as well. I cowash with pantene curl perfection.
Styling - I usually wake up, wet my hair with a mixture of water, coconut oil, olive oil and the elixir and shape my twa with my hand. If I want it to be neater and more defined, I use cantu coconut curling creme and pull my coils out and shape. I dye my hair auburn with Garnier Fructise Olia kit.
4. My goal is BSL. If I get there, I'll be happy. Dunno if I even want it longer than that.

pics
First and most recent
http://s103.photobucket.com/user/borroumk/media/IMAG0720_zpsfhlibjgu.jpg.html?sort=3&o=9
http://s103.photobucket.com/user/borroumk/media/IMG_20140620_102814_zps7e27pcbr.jpg.html?sort=3&o=9

Last edited:

faithVA

[USER=95107 said:
Mz.MoMo5235[/USER];20247645]So... I may be coming back to this challenge. Not sure yet. I think I'm over the long hair thing.

What are you talking about? Are you sure you want to cut it all off? How about just going back to APL or SL?

Lynn84

My mommy does the best braid outs on my hair. I am so jealous!

Whenever I try it myself its an epic fail. :lol:

My ends are so poofy its ridiculous. A month or so ago I had a trim and it helped a bit but the ends were frizzy again in about a week. :perplexed Whatever! *sigh*

Mz.MoMo5235

What are you talking about? Are you sure you want to cut it all off? How about just going back to APL or SL?

faithVA Noooo, I hate my hair now. I miss the ease of my short hair.I miss waking up and shaking my hands in my hair and calling it a day.

Now I have to go through soooo much! I never realized how much work it was til I had it easy! AND MY REGGIE ISNT EVEN THAT HARD!!!

I think the biggest thing I miss and not having to think about hair. I have so much going on right now with physical therapy, a new job, a new town, looking for a new place. I dont know, I dont feel the joy of it any more.

I think I'm going to try an A line bob first... And if I'm not feeling it I'm going back to the way my hair was this time last year. Chopping a year of progress. Lord, never thought I'd say that lol

ckisland

Finally getting around to updating :lol:!!

I'm at the stage where I can kinda-sorta wash n'go. Pink Ecostyler is my new bestie :yep:

Today (14 weeks post)
20140624_210430.jpg

20140624_210853.jpg

20140624_210602.jpg

BC (03/14/14)
20140314_204853.jpg

20140314_204858.jpg

I'm particularly proud about the growth in the back of my head. I was completely bald back there :lol:

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Finally getting around to updating :lol:!! I'm at the stage where I can kinda-sorta wash n'go. Pink Ecostyler is my new bestie :yep: Today (14 weeks post) BC (03/14/14) I'm particularly proud about the growth in the back of my head. I was completely bald back there :lol:
Wow...great progress!

Cattypus1

All loced up...
faithVA Noooo, I hate my hair now. I miss the ease of my short hair.I miss waking up and shaking my hands in my hair and calling it a day. Now I have to go through soooo much! I never realized how much work it was til I had it easy! AND MY REGGIE ISNT EVEN THAT HARD!!! I think the biggest thing I miss and not having to think about hair. I have so much going on right now with physical therapy, a new job, a new town, looking for a new place. I dont know, I dont feel the joy of it any more. I think I'm going to try an A line bob first... And if I'm not feeling it I'm going back to the way my hair was this time last year. Chopping a year of progress. Lord, never thought I'd say that lol
I don't know how much hair you have now but I would kill for a years' worth of growth right about now!

faithVA

I don't know how much hair you have now but I would kill for a years' worth of growth right about now!

She pretty much grew from NL to BSL within a year and I don't think it is a year yet. I think she probably would end up from NL to MBL within a year. This is the hair growth people dream of.

Last edited:

nisemac

just poking my head in. i'm still a twa---chopped it off in early May when i got back to the states. back to my natural hair color too. environment really is important. i spent 3 years fighting hard water and pollution. been back barely 2 full months and my hair is totally different. its fuller, softer, and holds moisture better.

the one thing i have tried different that i haven't done before is using JBCO. i bought it to help fill in my eyebrows (its working) and recently tried using it on my scalp 3x a week and as a hot oil treatment. my hair feels 'fuller' and softer.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Mz.MoMo5235
faithVA
I'm so jelly! I'm a couple of weeks short of 12 months natural and I BC-ed in May and I'm a 4-something...My hair shrinks like crazy! I guess I could be considered NL although I'm not really sure what that is. My hair will probably have to be down to my knees before I get out of the twa stage! I want that hair!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I am so tempted to lop off my hair again. I am now at a neck length bob from having a fade a year and some change ago.
The problem is my dumb arse heat damaged my hair while wearing weaves. It's a small section but it's ruining my summer wash and go life. I think I will get a cut soon after this wedding I'm in.
Le sigh.