TWA Support Thread

robot.

Do you ladies think chelating (sp?) Twice a month is too much? I just did my monthly chelate and gosh my hair feels so great and light and my lil twa is bouncy but I know in a couple weeks that feeling will be gone. :(

MsGlass What does chelating do? How do you do it/what do you use?

robot.

That's what I'm trying to do now. I have yet to find the right moisturizer. Let me know what you find please!
So far I like the Shea Moisture kids spray...smells yummy and surprisingly moisturizing! I prefer lighter moisturizers so I don't have any reactions with my gel. I also co-wash almost every other day in the morning with a good DC on weekends. curlyTisME

Lynn84

Robot

Chelating removes mineral deposits within the hair from hard water, swimming, etc.

I use ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo. I shampoo and let it sit for 5 min then rinse and dc as usual. My hair always feels so incredibly light after I do it.

Lynn84

GAAAAAHHHH THESE SSK'S!!!

*deep breath*

This is the point that did me in the first time I went natural. These d**n ssks.
DC and as i am double butter cream makes it better but it also makes me itch.
Think its time to go back to wigging it because I am determined to ride this out.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I am tired of protective styling (weaves) but too lazy to commit to wearing my hair out again right now.
what a conundrum.
maybe i'll do it this summer....

Sholapie

Rocky91 maybe some cute wigs, less committal? I'm gonna try rocking a few freetress wigs through the spring.

My hair is so hit and miss with retaining moisture. Some days my hair is coarse and dry and some days it's soft and moisturised all day. I don't even change my products.
On a good note, I have rediscovered Taliah wajid. I've only tried it while relaxed so i'm really excited to try it now. some of their products have shea butter in which my hair doesn't really like but I still want to give them a go. Does anyone like shea butter in products but not straight up? anyone have any fave Taliah products?

bronzephoenix

Rocky91 maybe some cute wigs, less committal? I'm gonna try rocking a few freetress wigs through the spring. My hair is so hit and miss with retaining moisture. Some days my hair is coarse and dry and some days it's soft and moisturised all day. I don't even change my products. On a good note, I have rediscovered Taliah wajid. I've only tried it while relaxed so i'm really excited to try it now. some of their products have shea butter in which my hair doesn't really like but I still want to give them a go. Does anyone like shea butter in products but not straight up? anyone have any fave Taliah products?

I liked the protective mist bodifier & the black earth shampoo.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

curlyTisME

Death to shrinkage. I'm over this TWA stage, but my beautician said shrinkage means your hair is healthy. Once it stops shrinking its time for concern.

dicapr

I just got my hair cut into a TWA. A series of bad hair choices and frustrations lead me to BC. The last straw was that after taking out my braids on Sunday the right side of my hair in the front was broken to the base of the braid. So right now I have less hair than I did when I chopped off my relaxed ends. My TWA is tapered so the top of my hair is eyebrow length the back isn't even an inch.

KidneyBean86

Southern sweetheart
I am not fully natural yet(almost 9 months into transition) but my hair looks like a TWA though.

Picture attached below

Attachments

• 79013a32-9583-4f89-a1d8-80a94a548d08_zps17936d01.JPG
    79013a32-9583-4f89-a1d8-80a94a548d08_zps17936d01.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 80

bronzephoenix

Death to shrinkage. I'm over this TWA stage, but my beautician said shrinkage means your hair is healthy. Once it stops shrinking its time for concern.

I agree. Loss of shrinkage is usually heat damage or loss of tensile strength/elasticity.

bronzephoenix

I just got my hair cut into a TWA. A series of bad hair choices and frustrations lead me to BC. The last straw was that after taking out my braids on Sunday the right side of my hair in the front was broken to the base of the braid. So right now I have less hair than I did when I chopped off my relaxed ends. My TWA is tapered so the top of my hair is eyebrow length the back isn't even an inch.

Sad to hear about your setback :/

But welcome. You'll be back before you know it!

Sholapie

4 months post bc in 12 days, I would say time flies but it doesn't feel that way :lol:

Last edited:

ckisland

bronzephoenix, Your curls are so cool!! I can't think of another word for them :lol:. They look so interesting!

I don't know what leave-in I should use. So far everything seems to be flaking up on me. I guess I'll keep wearing my hair naked for the time being, but I'm going to cowash more :yep:. And I can't wait till August! That's when my growth spurt starts, from August to December.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
bronzephoenix, Your curls are so cool!! I can't think of another word for them :lol:. They look so interesting!

I don't know what leave-in I should use. So far everything seems to be flaking up on me. I guess I'll keep wearing my hair naked for the time being, but I'm going to cowash more :yep:. And I can't wait till August! That's when my growth spurt starts, from August to December.

ckisland

I can't wait either! Your new journey is so exciting!

bronzephoenix

bronzephoenix, Your curls are so cool!! I can't think of another word for them :lol:. They look so interesting! I don't know what leave-in I should use. So far everything seems to be flaking up on me. I guess I'll keep wearing my hair naked for the time being, but I'm going to cowash more :yep:. And I can't wait till August! That's when my growth spurt starts, from August to December.

Thanks! They definitely do their own thing, lol.

Have you tried Giovanni direct? Or KCKT? Those are my faves right now.

janaq2003

Do you guys have some rough ends? Its like one section of my hair has a mind of its own. The curls are looser and ends are rough. When I do my 2 strand twists I have a few tbat like to unravel because the ends are bushier ( a word?) I dont think its damage since Ive had no direct heat since my big chop in february.

KaramelKutie803

Just wanted to post a progress pic of my 1st month of growth since my BC in April. BC pics on left and pics from the end of April/beginning of May on the right. I'm excited that it's finally growing and I can actually see a difference.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140508_173019.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140508_173019.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 84

Misseyl

This thread is two years in the making and I hope it's not too late to join. I recently decided to go natural and chopped of the back because it was breaking so bad. I am cutting the front gradually and should have cut everything off in another 3 to 6 months. I stated in a lot of my post that if I was not satisfied with how my hair was growing/looking, I would chop it off and wear big earrings. I've chopped most of it off, however I haven't purchased any earrings. Anyway, here goes:

1. BC date: April 19, 2014

2. Hair type/ describe your hair: 4a-4b, low porosity, fine hair

3. Reggie/Products: Currently looking for products but have been using Nexxus Shampoo and conditioner. Aphogee shampoo to clarify. Use SheaMoisture styling products and seal with Castor oil. Need to find a good deep conditioner, leave-in and moisturizer.

4. Goal(s): To have healthy, thick, long hair, collar bone or bra-strap.

5. Current pic or pic of BC: Will post one soon.

hnntrr

I have not been on here in a minute. Was in braids for three weeks plus finals which means I have been MIA but! I got a banging twist out today! Gonna keep doing stretched styles I think my hair is getting too long to do wash and go's kept leaving me with ssk's. At least with twist outs I don't have to worry about that, and I have figured out how to do it so my ends don't suffer. Yay!

Champion13

Happy Healthy Vegan
I have not been on here in a minute. Was in braids for three weeks plus finals which means I have been MIA but! I got a banging twist out today! Gonna keep doing stretched styles I think my hair is getting too long to do wash and go's kept leaving me with ssk's. At least with twist outs I don't have to worry about that, and I have figured out how to do it so my ends don't suffer. Yay!

What is your technique? I think we are hair twins and I have been doing puffs and wash n go's since I chopped in December, but I too am getting tired of these Ssk. I just did a semi trim to rid myself of some of them.

hnntrr

What is your technique? I think we are hair twins and I have been doing puffs and wash n go's since I chopped in December, but I too am getting tired of these Ssk. I just did a semi trim to rid myself of some of them.

I did the twist out on like...nearly dry hair (I plopped for like 10 mins to get as much water out as possible) then I put taliah wajjid and eco styler and twisted it up. It was pretty much dry by the next morning so I just spritz'd it with some water and hit it with a blow dryer on low. Ive been experimenting with getting good 2nd and 3rd day results and its getting there. So far I've retwisted and just wore it under my scarf. Either way its still bigger and less defined the 2nd day...which I don't mind cause it still looks good. I may do this for awhile cause doing wash and goes is so tedious and ugh SSKs. Plus my hair is still really soft and it moves when I shake my head and in the wind which I enjoy...it doesn't do that when I WNG.

dicapr

I'm loving my TWA. I can see it is growing but I am going to make an appointment to cut it again for 2 reasons. 1) All the damage wasn't cut off during my BC. My main concern when I got my hair cut was blending the side that was taken out by the braids. But after that issue was fixed I noticed damage from the hair color had made the ends of my hair dry and damaged my curl pattern. I think that one more chop will get rid of the damage. The second reason I'm getting it cut back in the tapered style is that I love the way it looks. I've always been told that I needed to keep my hair or that I would regret cutting off my hair but the opposite has happened. I love the way I look with short hair and I feel more attractive. Plus I'm not ready to deal with the grow out phase yet. So for now I plan to keep it short at least for the summer!