Trick for Roller Setting End Wraps/Papers

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
I’m not sure if this suggestion has been posted, but I’m an avid roller setter. I love my magnetic rollers on wet hair, steam rollers for a rush set, but usually, I set my hair on foam rollers overnight. I know it’s old-fashioned, but if it ain’t broke… :lol:

For many of these sets, I must use end wraps / papers because the strands around my head grow at different speeds and can be uneven. What I do to combat the drying effects of end wraps is to “pre-treat” them with some olive oil (or other oil of choice).

I drip enough oil on a small stack of papers / wraps until they are somewhat translucent, but still stiff enough to use them easily. This way, because they are already saturated, they don’t suck the oil out of my ends and offers additional protection from the drying effects of foam rollers if they are not satin wrapped. :up:

Cincysweetie

Legend said:
I’m not sure if this suggestion has been posted, but I’m an avid roller setter. I love my magnetic rollers on wet hair, steam rollers for a rush set, but usually, I set my hair on foam rollers overnight. I know it’s old-fashioned, but if it ain’t broke… :lol:

For many of these sets, I must use end wraps / papers because the strands around my head grow at different speeds and can be uneven. What I do to combat the drying effects of end wraps is to “pre-treat” them with some olive oil (or other oil of choice).

I drip enough oil on a small stack of papers / wraps until they are somewhat translucent, but still stiff enough to use them easily. This way, because they are already saturated, they don’t suck the oil out of my ends and offers additional protection from the drying effects of foam rollers if they are not satin wrapped. :up:
Wow, thanks for the tip! I used end papers with my caruso rollers last week b/c of my ends being different length (sometimes my ends would come out looking kinda crazy as a result). But, my ends seemed dry, which I didn't like. I'll be sure to try this tip next time I use rollers.

ayoung

ITA! Great tip!

I usually use whatever is around--I have used Headress, Breakfree, Coconut Oil...thanks for posting!

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
sb44 said:
Great tip, Legend. I love wet sets too, but I always get "Roller Head," you know the marks where I part my hair on top to put in the rollers. Do you ever get those lines? If so, how do you get rid of them?

Thanks sb44 and everyone! It is a really neat thing to do so I thought I'd share! :) :) :)

As for "Roller Head," I prevent that "parted" look by separating my hair with my fingers instead of a comb to set it. This looks more natural. When I take the rollers out, I give my scalp a good massage which blends my hair in and removes any parts. Another trick I like, espciailly if my curls are a little too tight, I use a wide tooth comb and Wrap my hair, cover it with a satin scarf, and let it "set" while I'm burshing my teeth, ironing, etc. After 5-10 minutes (or less, even) my hair is a little bit looser, blended nicely, and no parts! :up: :up:

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
sb44 said:
Thanks, Legend!! I'll try it this weekend!

While I have the expert here... do you ever have the problem with the ends, where they curl up "not quite right?" Because my hair is kind of long, I usually part a section and then put the roller near the end and wrap the ends around the roller a couple of times, then roll it up. Sometimes my ends look like half the curls[ ends are headed Northeast, some Northwest... never all headed South. You now how a pig's tail has that funky little part at the end that sticks straight out? :lachen: That's what my ends look like sometime. Do you have a technique for preventing this?

I know exactly what you are talking about. :lol: That can be a little tricky with longer hair. When this happens, there are a few of things you can try (others are certainly welcome to add to my list of suggestions):

1.) If your hair allows you, curl it from the bottom for as much as your hair as possible. I know this may be a little much, but try it. A little water will go a long way with getting your ends to "stick" together.

2.) If #1 is too much, curl as you usually do, but when you take your hair out, smooth and finger shape each curl individually. You cane use a rattail comb to assist as well. A little, tiny, teensy bit of moisturizing pomade can be used to help hold the shape better and let the curls "sit" before styling.

3.) This works better with dry roller sets: After you wind your hair around the curl, keep it loose and kind of slide the hair closer to the ends. But make sure the bottom of the curl is not too tight. Really, start with a looser wind.

4.) Gently bend you ends over the curler with a rattail comb for more end control.

5.) Alternatively, try switching your style up with a spiral set where you just wind your hair around the roller from top to bottom. Just remember to ad some extra moisture to your ends because they can be a little more exposed.

Makenzie

Great tip!!:up: I love the smoothness end paper gives me, but I always hated how the paper stuck to my ends and ripped it off.