Rollersets: Are end wrap papers damaging?

pink gator

A LOOONG time ago, I used to dry set using end wraps for better grip.

A couple months ago, I wanted to wet rollerset so I used some end wraps and noticed that my hair was breaking in the process.

It could have been that I already had damaged hair or it could have been technique.

I've had my ends dusted twice and I'm good to go but am afraid to try end wraps...are they good to use or should I get my technique down and go without them?

Come to think of it, I never see members' rollerset pics with end wraps. I use magnetic rollers.

Hmmm....

Last edited:

Neith

No, they're not damaging. They are just little thin pieces of paper.

Think about laying your hair on a piece of tissue paper... doesn't seem damaging, does it?

I guess the rollersetters of lhcf don't use them because you really don't need them especially if you put the rollers on properly. We are some rollersetting wizards :lol:

It sounds like your hair needs a little bit more babying. Use the wrappers if you really like them, they are harmless.

Is your hair breaking only when you do rollersets or all the time?

pink gator

No, they're not damaging. They are just little thin pieces of paper.

Think about laying your hair on a piece of tissue paper... doesn't seem damaging, does it?

I guess the rollersetters of lhcf don't use them because you really don't need them especially if you put the rollers on properly. We are some rollersetting wizards :lol:

It sounds like your hair needs a little bit more babying. Use the wrappers if you really like them, they are harmless.

Is your hair breaking only when you do rollersets or all the time?

LOL! Yeah, y'all ARE the wizards!

Yes, when I first came out of my weave in July and attempted to rollerset with the wraps, my breakage was INSANE!

So, I started DC-ing at least twice weekly, increasing my protein/moisture and moisturizing and sealing, so the breakage is pretty much gone! (I need to get a flat iron with adjustable temp because my pink FHI is killing me!)

So I'm ready now!

shmmr

In someone's fotki, they mentioned that rolling the hair too tightly can cause damage. As the hair shrinks in going from wet to dry if it is too tight around the roller it can break off. Maybe this is the hair you're seeing in the end papers after you dry? I think it was in Mskibibi's fotki that I read this...

HTH

hairdrama:{

No, they are not damaging. I use them on my flexirod sets and braidouts. I've never used them on regular rollersets.

I use to use them about 20 years ago. Not sure why I stopped. The only reason I can see is that I can set my hair faster without them. They really help to get those ends smooth and straight.

PinkPebbles

I use them with my mesh rollers only and they keep my ends straight and smooth.

For some odd reason the end wrap papers doesn't work as great if I use magnetic rollers:spinning:.