to oil or not to oil

locabouthair

i heard that oiling your scalp can clog your pores and stop your hair from growing but i always thought oil was necessary to prevent dry scalp. can anyone tell me which one is true?

Victorian

old head
Both are true, depending on who you ask :lol:

Oil on your scalp won't stop it from growing. I mean, your own scalp is producing oil so obviously having oil on your scalp won't hurt it. I think the general concern is if you have too much building up it might sort of "smother" your scalp. Even then your hair growth isn't going to grind to a halt or anything. The thing is from person to person "too much building up" could be completely different. Some put grease on their scalps often, and have hair down to their butts. If I put even a light oil on my scalp it itches like crazy and feels icky. The less I put on my scalp the more it produces oil on its own and takes care of itself.
The advice your own hair and scalp give you carries far more weight than any advice from someone else's hair and scalp :yep:

tryn2growmyhair

I give myself oily prepoos. I.e. I will put coconut oil on my scalp and hair the night before a wash or a relaxer. I will then cover it with a plastic cap. I almost always put a preconditioner on my head, it is usually oil based. I.e. oil with a mix of some my favorite products, like coconut milk, avocado, amla powder, etc.

Jewell

I like to oil my scalp, but I don't do so on a regular basis, except maybe in the winter because I wash my hair everyday and it defeats the purpose of oiling and washing it out. I do put EVOO allover as pre-poos overnight, though. Its really a toss up for me. But in winter, my scalp can get very dry; I am gonna go back to flaxseed oil for the problem, though.

Cinnabuns

I use oil all the time. As a matter fact I use it every night and my hair seems to grow faster since using it. :)

Tara_Star

Yeah,
I think thats it's "greases" i.e. things like blue magic that are meant to clog ur scalp. But my hair is so so wierd! I oil it at night with jojoba oil by ors. tie satin scarf around it and it the morning my hair has soaked up most of the oil! Maybe I need the greases!

I mean my hair grew to my shoulders using normal grease, horrible pink oil sheen spray and nasty nasty bril creme!! I had NO clue then! But look what i achieved. I did have a lot of breakage even though my hair was long...

Now my hair is shorter, less breakage if any, seems healthier but its soaks up the oils and gets dry quickly and some parts revert back frizzy after about 3 weeks of being relaxed. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

lisajames96

every once in a while i oil with coconut oil(love it) or shea butter. As big as the AA hair care industry is, I am surprised that a company hasn't come out with an oil that closely resembles natural sebum. I know if I could, I would be a millionaire...;)
Does anyone know of a product out there that is tauted as such?
-lisa:cool:

lexi08

lisajames96 said:
every once in a while i oil with coconut oil(love it) or shea butter. As big as the AA hair care industry is, I am surprised that a company hasn't come out with an oil that closely resembles natural sebum. I know if I could, I would be a millionaire...;)
Does anyone know of a product out there that is tauted as such?

Jojoba oil, 100% natural, is said to be like natural sebum. I use the organic kind on my scalp at times. I also use a few drops on my face as well, this oil works very well and is not greasy. I purchase mine from, www.mountainroseherbs.com

Porsche19

It depends on your scalp.

I never oil my scalp, if I do that's when I get problems with bumps/dandruff. Other people get rashes and bumps if the don't oil their scalp. :)

By all means do it if you need to, it won't hurt your hair.

The only oils that clog your follicles are mineral oil and petroleum and maybe a build up of silicones. natural oils are much, much lighter and easier to remove.

lisajames96

nikki1971 said:
Jojoba oil, 100% natural, is said to be like natural sebum. I use the organic kind on my scalp at times. I also use a few drops on my face as well, this oil works very well and is not greasy. I purchase mine from, www.mountainroseherbs.com

...there goes my million dollars...but thanks for the info nikki!

Porsche19

Tara_Star said:
Yeah,
I think thats it's "greases" i.e. things like blue magic that are meant to clog ur scalp. But my hair is so so wierd! I oil it at night with jojoba oil by ors. tie satin scarf around it and it the morning my hair has soaked up most of the oil! Maybe I need the greases!

I mean my hair grew to my shoulders using normal grease, horrible pink oil sheen spray and nasty nasty bril creme!! I had NO clue then! But look what i achieved. I did have a lot of breakage even though my hair was long...

Now my hair is shorter, less breakage if any, seems healthier but its soaks up the oils and gets dry quickly and some parts revert back frizzy after about 3 weeks of being relaxed. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Maybe trying a heavier oil will help. Jojoba doesn't work for me because my hair is too coarse and thick and the jojoba is too light. A heavier one like olive oil does the trick.

My personal fave is aphogee esential fatty acid mix, I mix it with a better smelling oil (not that it stinks or has a strong odor, I just prefer fruity scents)

Or you could try shea butter, it's pretty thick, but not a grease.

Edidted to add:

Check out castor oil and vitamin E oil too! They are EXTREMELY thick and work wonders on the ends especially.

Last edited:

~*~ShopAholic~*~

The Petroleum that is found in mostly all grease is the thing that clogs the pores, oil like EVOO, jajoba, tea tree and etc. does not clog the pores, they actually stimulate growth and are better for the scalp. I could never use grease that contain petroleum, it would cause flakes and cakey build-up or something, so I always used things that didn't coantain it to oil my scalp. I use WGO, EVOO, avacodo, tea tree and carrot oil now on my scalp and not a problem;)
locabouthair said:
i heard that oiling your scalp can clog your pores and stop your hair from growing but i always thought oil was necessary to prevent dry scalp. can anyone tell me which one is true?

SUPER SWEET

My dresser challenged me not to oil for a week and i've been scalp oil free for two years. I've been growing much better too.

Queenie

I don't put anything on my scalp. It is naturally oily now that I stopped putting anything on it.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I think it's a good thing that your hair is obsorbing the oil instead of wake the next the day and you end up with a greasy pillow :lol: because the grease is just sitting there. If your hair is reverting in some areas after 3 wks I hope it's NG, maybe some parts grow faster than others, if not then the hair maybe overprocessed :(.
Tara_Star said:
Yeah,

HoneyDew

I use oil. I tried to stop using it but, I got dandruff and dryness. I think if I washed with my CON everyday, I would not have to. I don't have to oil the day I wash, but it all goes downhill after that.

A lady that did my hair once told me I should not use oil. I don't care what anyone says, I love my oil and my grease and my hair grows very well.

nfynit_812

I love using oil!!! I use WGO mixed with EVOO, and my hair eats it up!!! Now I have to go to Costco and grab up a gallon of olive oil, plus find some EO's so I can mix it together along with my unrefined shea butter and pure mango butter!!!

HealthyHair35

This is soooo confusing. I went to a dermatologist the other day and she told me that I have seborrhea(sp?). She says that the build up from oil is causing my hair to thin and completely come out in spots. She assured me that my scalp was not "scarred" and that the hair will fill back in. I was using more oil because I have dandruff really bad. She says that I need to wash my hair twice a week with a dandruff shampoo and put something called dermasmoothe on my scalp the nights before I wash. I hope this works.

angelbaby

I haven't used oil on my scalp in YEARS! I don't even put oil on my hair anymore. If you stop putting oil on your hair, your scalp will produce natural oils that are beneficial for your hair. All oil did for me was gave me a nasty oily buildup and made my hair break more easily. Now that I've started doing daily washes with no oil, my hair is softer and I have much less breakage.

MeechUK

MeechUK
locabouthair said:

Since joining this forum I have found that my hair does not need oil if I deep condition regularly with heat. I only oil my scalp after shampooing with natural oils and mist my hair daily with with distilled water, rosewater and glycerin, and distilled water and eo (*one teaspoon to a pint of water). My hair is very healthy and strong without the use of traditional heavy petroleum and mineral oil pomades, which can block hair follicles. To prove a point some months ago I tried to launch a no oil challenge but no one was interested. As long as you really moisturise with a humectant, oil really is not necessary except for sheen, too much weighs the hair down and causes build-up.

HHG,
MeechUK.