Do you put oil on your scalp?

Do you oil your scalp?

• No I don't oil my scalp and it grows fast

Votes: 91 36.7%
  • Yes I oil my scalp and it grows fast

Votes: 157 63.3%

• Total voters

almondjoi85

I greeze (yes greeze not grease LoL) my scalp with coconut oil from time to time with no problems. Other times I use JBCO on my nape area. Love them both.

SoopremeBeing

I only use a mixture of DOO Gro Stimulating Oil and MegaTek. I try to apply it every night, but sometimes I forget, which is no big deal. It helps my hair in regards to growth and texture. Ive used DOO Gri for a coupke years, i love that stuff.

Nova

Sulfur oil mix for me too: Sublimed sulfur in WGO, grapeseed oil, coconut oil, Evoo, MN, and Gueye oil. I apply (scalp only) every other day. I have to oil my scalp, otherwise I get dandruff build-up like a winter storm!

ScorpioBeauty09

I always use Castor oil to seal my ends/edges but I only oil my scalp in areas that feel dry and irritated. I have a slightly oiler head of hair so I have to be careful I don't clog my pores. DC-ing usually takes care of it though.

aviddiva77

Sure do. I use African Pride magical grow max (just added coconut and almond oil to it tonight we'll see how that goes) and keeps me itch free til I wash it weekly/biweekly.

Interesting how my mom used this or blue magic on my hair but until now I never realized WHY. My hair is DRY!

PinkGirlFluff

I used to but not since I have been natural as an adult. My hair grows at an average rate. Some people think it grows super fast but I'd say about a half inch per month. My scalp doesn't get really dry.

discodumpling

I go through periods of greasing and periods of not. Its generally my homemade e/o mix or plain old oil of the moment:) imho...most blac folks need some sort of oil to nurture our hair from the root up.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using SPH-D700

LaidBak

nickpoopie said:
Can someone please tell me what is WGO

When I first came on the site it meant Wild Growth Oil. But now I see people use it to mean wheat germ oil.

I oil my scalp only when its dry, or needs soothing (like after a relaxer). I use emu oil most of the time for that purpose.
I used to use sulfur infused oils also, and those are the only ones that affect my growth rate.

Last edited:

Ogoma

I don't oil my scalp and it grows normally. I have not tried oiling and have not ruled out it out.

sckri23

I oil my scalp and my hair grows faster but I dont think its oil itself but the type if oil. I use doo gro stimulating growth oil, the other doo gro oils didnt have the same effect.

I oil everynight I cowash every other night so its not clogging my pores, it absorbs what is needed and the rest is washed way

Last edited:

NaturalfienD

Yes, I oil my scalp with a mix of EVCO, Jojoba, Castor Oil, EVOO, and a few drops of Rosemary EO. I apply to my scalp 3 or 4 times per week and co-wash in between those days. I have better growth/hair health by oiling my scalp at this stage of my hair journey.

BraunSugar

Right now I am using Sunny Isle Jamaican Organic Pimento Oil. It has pimento oil, jbco, grapeseed oil, peppermint oil, and eucalyptus oil. Just started using it a few days ago so Idk how well it works yet.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I both oil and grease my scalp. A sulfur Grease after a wash and oil, sometimes vatika or castor depending on how dry, as needed during the week. Eczema flare-ups leave my scalp itchy and dry. Oil or grease relieves it. I've noticed a bit of hair thickening and the thin edges are filling in (wow! didnt expect that)...only been greasing the last 3 or 4 weeks.

Kindheart

ceedeelight said:
Hi,
Does anyone place oil on their scalp. Not just hair, but scalp also. I was speaking to a lady at work who is natural and she said don't oil the scalp because it will clog my pores and cause my hair to grow a lot slower. She said that if I didn't oil the scalp my hair would grow crazy fast? I can understand her reasoning, but as a kid my mom put straight up grease on my scalp and my hair grew. What are your thoughts or comments about using grease on your scalp.

I'm going to set this up as a poll, but I appreciate all extra comments. :)

Scalp is the extension of your face's skin ,oil will clog your pores creating build up and pimples but it won't stop your hair from growing . If you oil yoir scalp ypu will have to shampoo your hair More frequently to avoid build up .