How often do you oil/grease your scalp?

Lynnerie

2+ times a day.

Once a day

Every other day

Once a week

I never oil my scalp

Other

How often is everyone oiling their scalps?
Is there anyone here that does not oil/grease their scalp and has had successful hair growth and no dry scalp problems? I'm wondering because I know that our scalps aren't oily like caucasians but is oiling the scalp clogging our pores?

inthepink

I do not oil or grease my scalp. I think it is better when it's clean. If I were to do some kind of treatment (like with jojoba & rosemary), it would be a pre-treatment that I would shampoo out.

lana

Once a day....and ever since I've been doing this my scalp is doing much better. Less flaking and better moisturized. However, I also used an oil medication prescribed by my dermatologist because I was developing something other than dry, itchy scalp.

Also, I used to NEVER oil my scalp, just wash once a week. I didn't put ANY oil on my hair either. I didn't notice growth or retention of length. It seemed like my hair wasn't growing, it was growing, just breaking.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I do not oil/grease my scalp just because I do not see the need to. My mom used to grease my scalp when I was younger. As I got older, I stopped doing it because I didn't like putting my fingers down in the grease all the time and eventually didn't see the need to do so since I never suffered an extremely dry nor flaky scalp.

Just as Caucasians with oily scalps, African Americans can have oily scalps too.

The difference is that the oil from their scalps travels down the hair shaft easier/quicker than the oil from our scalps.

I see no problem with oiling/greasing the hair... just don't see the need to oil/grease my scalp, even though other women may see the need to in order to nourish a dry scalp or help retain hair length.

ETA: I also do not believe oil nor grease can clog pores.

HTH!

Last edited:

silvergirl

also as poobear said,, we do have oil on our scalp its getting the oil to travel down the hair shaft that is the product.

MizaniMami

silvergirl said:
also as poobear said,, we do have oil on our scalp its getting the oil to travel down the hair shaft that is the product.

OT, SilverGirl your hair is beautiful! I wish my hair was like that! How far into transitioning are you?

Mizani_Mrs

i never ever apply oil or anything else to my scalp. It causes my scalp to flake and itch like crazy. I drink lots of water daily and i don't have a problem during the warm months, but during the winter my scalp does flake up, so i always heavily deep cond, and i also take flaxseed caplets when things get rough. that seems to always immediately solve the problem, althoug they also tend to upset my tummy...