Do you oil your scalp?

• No I don't oil my scalp and it grows fast

Votes: 91 36.7%
  • Yes I oil my scalp and it grows fast

Votes: 157 63.3%

• Total voters

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I've just started applying QB AOHC to my scalp and NG once a week after I shampoo, it contains these oils:

Castor oil
Olive oil
ALSO:
Amla Extract Organic Brahmi
Organic Aloe Extract
Vegetable Glycerine
MSM!!
My scalp has had constant tingling since I started applying it so I think it's doing some good things to my scalp :)

kinkycurlygurl

I don't think that oil on the scalp affects growth one way or the other. I think most people oil their scalps out of habit or if their scalp is dry and it feels better that way.

I *try* to oil my scalp frequently but it's hard to get to it when I'm wearing my curly without messing up my style as opposed to when it's straight I can apply to my scalp easily and then just wrap my hair to help distribute the oil all the way to the ends.

I won't say it helps my hair grow faster. BUT. I will say my scalp is definitely healthier, never dry, moisturized, and overall looks better in addition to my hair feeling softer and stronger while overall looking healthy and shiny.

I use a color applicator bottle to apply to my scalp -- I've always used EVCO which is really good fo ryour hair and skin and as soon as my organic amla oil arrives [SUPER excited to use this oil, if you've heard or have any experiences please share] I will prob use a 50/50 mix of EVCO and amla. I can honestly testify say the addition of oils has drastically changed the health and appearnce of my hair for the better. I think the trick is not using anything too heavy (I couldn't imagine putting pure castor oil on my scalp alone) and avoiding anything with mineral oil - natural oils only.

Misseyl

My scalp does not like oils. I recently applied jojoba or olive oil to head and after two washes I still had oil residue on my scalp. I know now that I should only oil my hair and not my scalp.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I don't oil my scalp anymore. Every time I do,it's a bad time. It either gives me the itchies, or breaks my scalp out in pimples...that's just a no go. Even when I wash frequently, my scalp just can't take the extra oil. I do make sure my hair is well oiled though.

Angel of the North

I use Amla oil overnight as part of one of my pre-poos, I only use it on my scalp mainly as a scalp conditioner and sometimes take it into my NG but I don't use it on the length of my hair.

ETA: I wouldn't say that using oils on my scalp makes a difference to my growth rate, whether I use it daily (like way back in the day), like how I use it now or not at all. I think my hair just has its own growth rate and I think my hair grows reasonably quickly.

Last edited:

southerncitygirl

lately i have been using the pomade shop's growth pomade on my scalp because my scalp has gotten a little itchy with the cooler weather. the ingredients are evco, rosemary eo, emu oil, castor oil, sulfur, and jojoba oil. i may use this the whole winter a minimum of 2x a week. i have never really consistently done this and with all the shrinkage i have i would have no way of knowing how fast my hair grows nor do i keep track.

i don't believe in petrochemicals or lanolin based products on the scalp because of potential clogging of the follicles.

venusfly

I usually just oil the hair (coconut, Grapeseed or White Camellia after washing, and those plus Avocado before). I just recently started experimenting with Ceramide oils such as Eaucalypus, Grapeseed mixed with Castor after reading the results of studies that state that Eaucalyptus oil increases production of Ceramides in new growth when applied to the scalp - and not the hair - for 3 months. First experience applying oil to the scalp as I normally only lighly apply coconut or white camellia to hair after washing.

baddison

natural for good
Yes.:yep: 4x's per week I part and apply the "NJOY's Hair Concotion" to my scalp. Then I baggy overnight. Keeps the ng soft and the scalp moisturized, but not oily since I don't overdo it.

EnExitStageLeft

yes I do. I oil my scalp at least 3x a week with Hair Trigger Hair Growth Elixir......I also prepoo with the HT on my scalp and Hempseed Oil on my length and ends LOVEEEEEE IT!

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I put JBCO on my scalp and EVCO on the length of my hair as a pre poo overnight GHE, before washing. I massage my scalp with jojoba oil every four or so days, It depends on how my scalp feels.

Angelinhell

No, I've tried to use every oil under the sun, but my scalp just won't have it. Many people are mistaken when they think that oil fixes a dry scalp, when it actually makes it much worse.

I do use this to base my scalp before a relaxer:

Attachments

• $(KGrHqVHJBME-eIgC0YOBPuEuRihN!~~60_35.JPG
    $(KGrHqVHJBME-eIgC0YOBPuEuRihN!~~60_35.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 9

1beautiijunkii

I do. I use a medicated oil prescribed by my Dr. called Derma-Smoothe bcuz I have SD. It clears my scalp up like nothing I've ever seen. I highly recommend it :)

felic1

I had some breakage this summer that I am still recovering from. I have been using JBCO on troubled areas of the scalp and my edges which are recovering.

karenjoe

i work out so the salt from sweating dry my hair & scalp.( it will snap) unless
I spritz w ion leave in or apohgee leave. i put coconut oil on my ends.... tie it down
until pre poo day

ronie

I would love to, but oiling my scalp always end up in serious shedding. Now that my shedding is back under control ( shout out to the ladies over the tea, coffee rinsing thread), i want to start castor oil again. Will start slow with my problem areas then my whole head.
And yes my growth rate seems pretty normal, maybe less than 1/2 inch but i'm ok with that as long as it is constant. I rather thickness over faster rate.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I like to oil 3x or more a week & I alternate between using Njoy oil and undiluted eucalyptus oil.

dicapr

No. My scalp doesn't like anything on it. I always had scalp issues when I oiled or greased my scalp. I stopped and found that my scalp produces enough of its natural oils to keep my scalp from being dry. Actually, my scalp gets kind of oily if I go more than a week between washes.