Tips for achieving BSL?

Incognitus

myhairgrowstoo

I have a portable dryer and I love it! I got it at Sally's with a coupon.

Source: http://www.sallybeauty.com/bonnet-dryer/SBS-255984,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair09-03-04

felic1

Incognitus...Does the front have elastic so it fits around you curlers and it does not blow off? I looked at that brand but was not sure. I have been at my parents house and my dryer and steamer are at home. I would like a portable for my deep conditioners.

Incognitus

felic1 Yes it does have this front elastic strip. It also has a type of drawstring in the back. I love it because I am able to go on vacation (or travel in general) with it.

HTH

JustGROWwithIt

In answer to your questions @myhairgrowstoo - are you fine haired?
No I do not consider my strands to be fine. Each strand appears thick although I have two different textures 4b at the top and 4a below my ear.

And how do you keep your textlaxed hair from breaking? I credit the Mane & Tail conditioner with the health of my hair. A friend once told me that she couldn't keep her hair shaped into a bob hairstyle because she was using Mane & Tail and it kept growing out faster than her stylist could cut it! From that point forward I started using Mane & Tail conditioner (not the shampoo) and it really does work for me. I also moisturize and seal daily and deep condition regularly

Do you treat it differently than your natural hair? My natural hair is shinier and stronger than my texlaxed hair, but overall I treat it the same. My natural hair just looks healthier, darker and thicker than the texlaxed hair. At the same time, I used to think my texlaxed hair was great, just easier to straighten...now I feel that it is weaker in comparison to the thick natural hair growing out of my head.

I'm pretty sure I will see this transition through, slowly cutting off the texlaxed ends and ending up natural. If you need encouragement or support during your journey - pm me and I'll be happy to respond. My hair buddy is the reason that I now have hair like hers. She took me on when I was ear length and she was close to BSL...now I have longer hair than I ever imagined (for me).

lana I heard the same thing years ago about Mane & Tail and I never tried it for myself. My question is when using Mane & Tail do you still do protein treatments? I've hear that Mane & Tail has protein in itso would it be overload to do an additional protein treatment regularly? I use Aphogee 2 Step about every 6-8 weeks.

Last edited:

MzSwift

First of all, LOVE bonnet dryers. You can find them under any brand. I have been using the Conair brand bonnet dryer for years for me and my hubby.

IA with a lot of the advice given. What has helped me the most:

-PSing (protecting and moisturizing my ends has been a tremendous help)
-Treating my hair like fine silk (being patient with knots/tangles, using my fingers, not being rough)
-Put it away before I do something drastic (wigs and extension twists/braids have been a lifesavers)
-Remember to enjoy my hair every now and then (I would rock my wig all week and then rock it out for the weekend. Then I would do my weekly cleanse/DC and cornrow it back up for the work week wig). I did that for the colder seasons and did mini braids for the warmer seasons for an easy WNG style.

I also think that being consistent and maintaining my moisture-protein balance has also aided in retention.

HTH and GL! :)