Tips for the Long Journey of APL to BSL

SimpleKomplexity

This makes me sad. I made this thread when I first got to APL. April 2009. It's May 2010 and I'm still not BSL and it's really only 4-5 inches to get to BSL from APL. :cry:

LaFemmeNaturelle

This makes me sad. I made this thread when I first got to APL. April 2009. It's May 2010 and I'm still not BSL and it's really only 4-5 inches to get to BSL from APL. :cry:

Cheer up. There's got to be something that could be changed to benefit your hair. :yep:What's your regimen? How often do you use heat, protective style, and give your hair some moisture love?

Valerie

I remember when I started to be natural, the first five years, my hair grew and stayed at one length for ages, then when it dawned on me, I had to do deep conditioning treatments, then I started to gain my length. Also now that it is getting much longer, I have to henna more.

bebee10

I too agree with the many ladies on here. Protective styles help me to retain length and also curl sets with either my curlformers or flexirods.

beans4reezy

I never did true protective styles. I just mainly kept it up in a jaw clip.

I agree. A friend of mine at work keeps her hair moisturized and up in a clip and she has retained length wonderfully. Personally, I love PS'ing because I am lazy and I am not trying to style my hair everyday.

Janet'

I'm below APL now and at my longest, I have about 2.5 inches to get to BSL and at my shortest, I have about 4 inches to get to BSL. I have been doing Wash and Go's and ponytails. I was doing rollersets but I found that I lost lots more hair at the end when I washed. I'm sure that I will revisit rollersets, but for now, this seems to be working!

beans4reezy

Didn't you mention in another thread that you flat iron weekly and you relax every 8-10 weeks? Maybe it's time to eliminate the direct heat to your hair, DC weekly, protective style and do a long, 3 or 4 month stretch. You'll be suprised how much closer you'll be to BSL, if not reaching that goal altogether.

BellaLunie

Didn't you mention in another thread that you flat iron weekly and you relax every 8-10 weeks? Maybe it's time to eliminate the direct heat to your hair, DC weekly, protective style and do a long, 3 or 4 month stretch. You'll be suprised how much closer you'll be to BSL, if not reaching that goal altogether.

I agree! Stretching your relaxers does help and I barely use heat. Op have you tried hiding your hair? Like wigs,braids etc?

lilsparkle825

I hope you are not doing these things and wondering why you're not BSL.

Back to the topic at hand -- my growth always takes off when I hardcore PS, meaning putting my hair away for at least a month in some sort of braids or twist extensions. So far this year I have done box braids, crochet braids, and now senegalese twists -- and I am just about at BSL (haven't checked since March, so I may be there now, Lord willing). To get to MBL, it'll be sew-ins. On top of this, moisture moisture moisture -- braid sprays, cowashing, and saturating the ends of my hair in leave-ins and creamy moisturizers, plus oil when I remember to seal. With my sew-in, wet hair from constant cowashing will be key to that warm weather growth spurt!

SmilingElephant

What helped me go from APL to BSL was co-washing at least 2 times a week and keeping my hair off my shirt:yep:...also really limiting my heat usage to like 1 time a month...i wanted to go longer than BSL so i was really really strict on myself back then.

luckiestdestiny

the fastest way for me is and was braids. I mean that because I made the journey more than once. This time, I needed to get out layers, and I just kept cutting and cutting until I ended up slightly past shoulder after my neurotic cutting once a month that happened last year and I'm already back at mbl. Braid it up and leave it alone (not too tight of course) and dc and that's all I can say (occasional braid spray). I don't mind having cornrows if I get to where I want to go faster. I still have a one inch by two inch section in the crown that's a lot shorter (a mishap with a hot comb and a hair dresser that I wanted to kill for burning that piece of hair and I had to cut it) but that's all the layers left. And since it blends in I am NOT cutting it that short just for that tiny section... btw I'm 4a in case anyone is interested....

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

I'm not sure who you're asking but I try to drink water (but don't always succeed). I also take chlorella and eat veggies (try to get in a decent amount a day but that doesn't always happen). Chlorella is also a whole food, not a supplement.

Iamhim

I don't do protective styles because they don't look good to me. My hair is not thick, so buns dont look right yet. And at 44 years old, I'm not walking around in braids.

I do keep my hair washed, conditioned, and moisturized. And that has helped me combat dryness and retain all of my length and growth.

Its good to hear that someone has made it there without protective styling all the time. I don't think it works well for me either.

LeftRightRepeat

my strands are very fine. I have come to the conclusion (after much trial and error :cry3:) that braids, weaves, and long stretches don't work for me.

I'm probably just touching APL, I plan to shampoo/deep condition once a week (maybe a mid week co-wash), rollerset and bun to BSL...trying to not relax before 12 weeks.

luckiestdestiny

my strands are very fine. I have come to the conclusion (after much trial and error :cry3:) that braids, weaves, and long stretches don't work for me.

I'm probably just touching APL, I plan to shampoo/deep condition once a week (maybe a mid week co-wash), rollerset and bun to BSL...trying to not relax before 12 weeks.

That's interesting. I have fine strands (but dense tons of hair so it looks thick) and braiding has helped me a lot because of low manipulation. Were you braiding too tight you think? or too many tiny braids?

SimpleKomplexity

Well did you follow any of the tips the ladies posted in here?

I did. I limited direct heat until recently. I got a few trims which held me back. I upped the deep conditioning. I'm not that far from BSL actually. Only 2 inches prolly, but it just seems sooo long away.

Also do you drink water? Some people's hair takes off when they change things internally.
I'm trying to get back in the habit. I'm drinking water for my skin, so hopefully it will help my hair too.

Braiding is the ONLY way how I got to APL. When I stopped touching my hair, its length TOOK OFF. I just hate how they look. But I'm getting kinky twists tommorrow.

MizzBrit

i'm trying to get to bsl also..i will be ps all year with either half wigs or extensions and co washing a couple times a week

Muse

I did. I limited direct heat until recently. I got a few trims which held me back. I upped the deep conditioning. I'm not that far from BSL actually. Only 2 inches prolly, but it just seems sooo long away.

I'm trying to get back in the habit. I'm drinking water for my skin, so hopefully it will help my hair too.

Braiding is the ONLY way how I got to APL. When I stopped touching my hair, its length TOOK OFF. I just hate how they look. But I'm getting kinky twists tommorrow.

Getting kinky twist is a great idea for you since braids are what got you to APL in the first place. Return to what worked in the beginning. Good luck!

lilsparkle825

It was meant for OP. That cholera (sp?) does sound interesting though.
this made me :lachen::lachen::lachen:
That's interesting. I have fine strands (but dense tons of hair so it looks thick) and braiding has helped me a lot because of low manipulation. Were you braiding too tight you think? or too many tiny braids?
this post is right on point. i have fine strands as well, and as you can see in my sig my hair is not dense. twists seem to work better for me than box braids, and i have to add hair to my cornrows, otherwise i experience breakage. they also have to be loose.

good luck with the kinky twists, OP.

SimpleKomplexity

Bumping for those who need it! I will be BSL dag nab bit!! Gimme another 4 months hopefully and I'll be there.

It's been 10 weeks since my last relaxer so by the time these braids come out, i would have had a Really good stretch that will hopefully help me hair to thicken back up, me retain some length, and get to where I need to be