***THE BEST & WORST OF 2011 AWARDS (Hair)***

Dposh167

Well, its about that time ladies,
Get your list ready of products, tools, etc. That you USED in 2011...

This thread is for

of 2011:dance7:

RULES:
It can be products, accessories, tools, or anything hair related that you USED, PURCHASED, OR REVISITED in 2011 only. This is not about the best and worst of your entire stash. We want to focus on what you tried in 2011! REMEMBER...THIS LIST IS ABOUT THINGS THAT WOW'D YOU! Things you would give an award to for outstanding performance!

AS A BONUS:
You can list anything you decided to DISCONTINUE your use in 2011. Maybe it was a staple for a while. Perhaps you thought it was a great product for a while, then realized it wasn't really doing anything. Please list.

ETA: As a suggestion by a member...could you also list your hair type as well. thx

Last edited:

Pompous Blue

Steaming

Henna (2 – 3 times month. My hair loves, loves, loves this. Strongest it’s ever been)

Ayurvedic Powders (Pastes/Teas)

Black Tea Rinsing (2nd year w/o seasonal shedding)

Coffee Oil (Homemade)

ACV final rinsing

Rhassoul/Bentonite Clay Masks (Clarifies and Detoxes my hair. No harsh chemicals. Will always be a part of my regimen.)

Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha Gel (HG status! The best of the best of the best. Nothing like it. Have gotten 3-day hair out of it and never could with any other gel whether high-end or low-cost.)

Darcy’s Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Conditioner (A very good moisturizing conditioner)

Curl Junkie Daily Fix (Will always be in my stash)

Pibbs dryer

This is what’s worked for me in 2011 and I will continue to use them in 2012. The only thing I can think of that doesn’t work for me is baggying.

I'm natural with 4Z hair.

Last edited:

AryaStarr258

Best conditioner: One 'n Only Argan Oil

Best deep conditioner: ORS Hair Mayonnaise

Best shampoo: One 'n Only Argan Oil

Best oil(s): Jojoba, Argan, coconut

Best vitamin: Msm

I'm too much of a PJ to claim them as staples BUT I will say they made me :drool:

Discontinued list:

Desert Essence anything, really, as well as Mane 'n Tail. Didn't hate em. Didn't love em.

Last edited:

Dposh167

BEST:
Donna Marie Super Buttercream- the best moisturizer ever!
Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion - The best leave-in to control your frizz in history!
VO5 Clarifying Shampoo- Super light clarifying poo for those low cone buildups
Claudie's Balancing End Insurance Moisturizer- woooooow! just wooooooooow!
Kyra Indulgence Mango Moisturizing Creme- This stuff is great for super dry frizzy ends.
Shescentit Marshmellow Cream- i use to slick down and smooth my edges.
Mizani thermasmooth system- keeps ng in check until your touch up
Silk Elements Olive Oil Relaxer- like so much better than the original
Profectiv Neutralizing Mousse- this neutralizer is like butta! Loved the mousse texture

WORST:
Darcy's Botancials Transitioniing Cream scent- the product is great...but that scent is the worst! I had to mask it with essential oils in order to even use this.
Shea Moisture Smoothie - hated the scent too, and the product was okay. Won't repurchase ever.
Kinky Curly Custard- Hard hard hair. Great definition tho. But i didn't like how this product felt when it went on. I sold this.

decided to Discontinue in 2011:
Qhemet Burdock Root Cream - still a great product. But not as moisturizing as i need it to be. I will miss this tho.
EcoStyler Argan Oil- This was comparable to the olive oil one, but i like the olive one better. So bye bye to Argan
Joico Kpak Mask- I hate the scent of this. This has been a staple for a while, but i can't take it anymore.
Hairveda Strinilah Conditoner- just found other DC's to be better.

Last edited:

MWilson569

Best:
Leave-in Conditioner: Giovanni Direct Leave-in (new formula), Aloe Vera Juice
Oil: Liquid Gold Hair Growth Oil, Jamaican Black Castor /Coconut Oil
Treatment: Rolland Una Oxygenating Treatment
Shampoo: Rene Furterer Karite Shampoo
DC with no heat

Worst:
Shea Mositure Curl Enchanching Smoothie---the worst, too sticky and dulls my hair
Rolland Una Garlic conditioner ---did nothing for my hair

chebaby

curl junkie curl rehab deep conditioner: this stuff is my holy grail deep conditioner. i even keep it in the shower in case i want to co wash with it. i love love love it.

curl junkie smoothing lotion: best detangler in the world. the comb just slips right through my hair when i use this.

steamer: OMG, this thing is amazing. my hair will never be without one

donna marie dream curling cream: this is a 16oz jar and im almost finished it cause i love it so much. i use it at least twicea week.

curl junkie honey butta leave in: amazing!!! i love this stuff as a leave in, moisturizer and styler.

HV whipped ends hydration: over the summer this was one of my holy grail leave ins.

hurcules sageman magic star comb: love love love it. best comb ever.

claudies protein conditioner: one of the best proteins out there.

worse of 2011
going to the dominican salon: talk about burning hair:nono:

ETA: i also love

bee mine luscious moisturizer: this stuff moisturizes like no other:lick:

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Best Tools of 2011

Denman D-24 Double Row Detangling Comb

Best Sale of 2011

AveYou Groupons

Fav Lines of 2011 *in no particular order*

Marie Dean
Claudie Hair Revitalizer
Hairitage Hydrations
Hairveda
Hydratherma Naturals
Darcy's Botanicals
Enso Naturals
Jasmine Bath & Beauty
MyHoneyChild
Curl Junkie

2011 Honorable Mention

SheScentIt *love it, just don't use it often enough*
Christine Gant *love it, just don't use it often enough*
Afroveda *like it, but only use limited products from this line*
BeeMine *like it, but only use limited products from this line*
Bear Fruit Hair

WORST:

Vendors that offer tiny discounts
Vendors that have High Shipping, slow shipping, inconsistent products and/or Attitude
Vendors with Bad Customer Service Practices

Last edited:

PJaye

The Best:

- Castor Oil (by far, this is the best oil on the planet)

- Magic Star Jumbo Rake (this product has taken my HHJ to another level)

- Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (provides strength without the stiffness that is associated with a protein treatment)

- Diluted Elasta QP Crème Moisturizing Shampoo (cleanses and moisturizes well while allowing me to detangle)

- Shescentit Banana Brulee & Avocado Conditioners (quality ingredients that proffers consistent results)

- Nairobi Humecta-Sil Conditioner (provides strength, moisture and the best slip I’ve ever encountered)

- As I Am Naturally Coconut Co-Wash Cleansing Conditioner (thick, creamy cleanser that does not strip)

- Darcy’s Botanicals Transitioning Crème (an excellent refresher on dampened hair)

- ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner (I understand the hype; if you are in need of an accessible moisturizing conditioner with a protein kick that also detangles well, this product will fit the bill)

The Worst:

- Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion (although it goes on smooth, it lacks true moisture; my hair felt crispy and parched after it had fully dried)

- Claudie’s Mango Rinse (the consistency is way too thin and watery, and is devoid of any kind of moisturizing benefits; also made my hair dry)

- DC’ing More Than Once a Week (too much manipulation; stunted my progress)

- Jasmine’s Avocado & Silk Conditioner (totally ineffective; my hair was a hard, dry, tangled mess after using this product)

- Silicon Mix (smells like an Avon perfume circa 1972; left my hair feeling coated and weighed down)

- Darcy’s Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Cream (has a nasty wax-like feeling to it that dulls the life out of my hair)

- Mizani H2O Intense Nighttime Treatment (it left a thick, white coating on my hair; I had to lather and scrub 8 times with three different shampoos in order to get this stuff out of my hair)

Discontinued Products:

- Hairveda Sitrinillah (I absolutely love this conditioner, but I can no longer continue to support this vendor due to their extremely long shipping times and mediocre customer service)

- Qhemet Biologics AOHC, BRBC & OHHB (will be phased out after my current stores are depleted; I dislike being strung along)

- Joico MRB (useless; simply is not worth the effort and expense)

- Quantum Clarifying Shampoo (replacing it with the ORS Olive Oil Creamy Aloe Shampoo)

- Yes to Carrots Pampering Conditioner (given its ingredients, consistency and price, it should perform better than it does)

Zaz

BEST
Best smelling product brand: Curls :love:
Curls Whipped creme for wash n gos, moisturises and gives frizz free hair
Curls Souffle for dry twistouts, gives soft definition
Curls Curlicious Curls Cleansing Cream best sulfate free Cleanser

Honorable mention: Donna Marie super buttercreme

Worst
Darcy's botannicals Madagascar vanilla styling creme, smelled awful and was very greasy
Wheat germ oil, too thick and smells awful, also has a yellowish tint so it stained everything
Oyin's burnt sugar pomade, hated the smell

RarityFluttershy

Best...........
Apple Cider Vingar
Coconut Oil
Grapeseed Oil
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Blue Magic Grease (Yes I Took It There. Do Not Judge Me:look:)
VO5 2 In 1 Moisturizing Shampoo And Conditioner:love2:
VO5 Strawberries And Cream Shampoo And Conditioner:love:
Shea Moisture Organic Coconut And Hibiscus Curl And Shine Shampoo
Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
Shea Butter

Worst........
S-Curl.:nono:

ETA: How Could I Forget The Second Best Product I Discovered This Year Aloe Vera Juice.:trophy:

Last edited:

Pompous Blue

Im going to have to try Curl Junkie one day.....
gennatay
IA. You have to.

Thanks to aveyou.com Groupons I was able to try all of their products I wanted to try and then go back and order what worked for me in multiples.

Aveyou.com has the best customer service and they're continually adding vendors to their line-up.

gennatay

gennatay
IA. You have to.

Thanks to aveyou.com Groupons I was able to try all of their products I wanted to try and then go back and order what worked for me in multiples.

Aveyou.com has the best customer service and they're continually adding vendors to their line-up.

Hmm..looks like I'll have to wait until Aveyou has more groupons, or someone has a sale on Curl Junkie.

gennatay

BEST:
Wen Cleansing Conditioners

Fist Pik - fluffing 2nd day hair

Carols Daughter Hair Elixir and Hair Balm

Hair Therapy Wrap
- deep conditioning on the go
Smooth and Shine Gellation styling gel - I mix this with very little glycerin and olive oil and I get a soft but firm, non flaky hold ( currently looking for a gel that I wont have to mix)

Rhassoul Clay - Cant find it in stock :-( but I love the way my hair feels after using this clay

Worst
Eco-styler gel - I'm starting to really like lighter gels. This is just too heavy for my hair

Shea Moisture Line - didnt really do anything spectacular for my hair

Lissa0821

The Best of 2011

Ultra Sheen Creme Pres: I grease my scalp with this while my hair is dripping wet after each wash. It keeps my roots moist for days and easy to comb through when I am deep in a relaxer stretch. I had a patch of hair in my crown that was very dry and brittle, it broke off easily and cause my hair to have a W shape at the ends. This patch is growing in nicely.
Mizani Butter Blend Sensitive Scalp: I have gone back to no-lye relaxer and this is the best relaxer I have ever used. My hair is starting to thicken again.
Olive Oil: It really soften my hair and it detangles like nobody's business
Hair One - Olive Oil: Love the cooling feeling, how it moisturizes and detangles no matter if it is week one or week twelve of a relaxer stretch.

The Worst of 2011

Elasta QP DPR 11+: Goes on smooth, detangles my hair but the next day let the breakage and dryness begin.
ORS Relaxer Lye-Regular Strength: It stopped processing my new growth entirely and started to thin out my hair.

Honorable Mention of 2011:
After washing my hair and greasing my scalp, I allow my hair to completely drip dry before detangling. It has turned my wash day around 360 degrees, I can count on one hand how many strands of hair I lose compare to trying to detangle my wet hair.

Moisturizing and sealing my ends on a regular basis as well as baggying my ends at least twice a week.

I have fine hair that I relax every eight to twelve weeks.

beautyaddict1913

I LOVE this thread lol.

Best of 2011:
Curl Junkie Deep Fix
Curl Junkie Argan and Olive conditioner
Claudie's Protein DC
Darcy's Pumpkinseed conditioner
Claudie's Garden Oil
Darcy's Transitioning Cream
Darcy's Curl Cream Gel
Hairveda Hydrasillica
Hairveda Almond Glaze
Claudie's Hair Gel

Worst of 2011
Oyin products - this is definitely an unpopular opinion but their stuff just didnt work for me.
Carol's Daughter Hair Milk - too heavy
Komaza - the entire line was a miss for me, another unpopular opinion

coyacoy

Winning:
Qhemet amla pomade and the hydrate and twist butter
Giovanni leave in and the pro vitamin infusion spray
Henna!!!! Moroccon kind
Komaza protein
JBCO
Oil rinsing
GVP pro blow dryer on cool
Garlic condish - great for getting shedding under control

Not winning
Steaming
My honey childs...too expensive for what it does
As I Am naturally ....blah
Jane carter solution. - boo
Kinky curly - boooo
Dudley creme press...did nothing
Flat ironing...i suck at it...still trying to master
Rollersetting
Qhemet moringa leave in

I'm sure i missed some things but these were the biggest wins/losses

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

NaturallyGraceful

Okay, I thought it was just me with the SheaMoisture dislike.
I tried it when it first came out before they expanded into several products & what I bought recently is not the same as it was. My twists use to be lush with SM but all I get is dull results.

Lita

WORST-KKNT,Eco Styler,Hamandi shea dc,Indefora nourishing hair oil (STINKS),Carols Daughter tulsi oil,AOHSR, Giovanni,Wen..

BEST-Camille Rose (Max dc,Alage mask dc,Oil,hair butter,hair milk),Koils By Nature (Moisturizing leave-in & Heavenly butter),Darcys (Pumpkin dc) B.A.S.K dc,Pura (milk,lotion,butter & dc).Moxie (intense dc & detangle leave-in) HairTrigger oil,Liquid Gold oil,Pomade Shop (peppermint pomade),Jessie Curl (stimulating scalp treatment),Donna Marie (detanle leave-in con),Kyras (hemp dc,mango moisturizing butter & coconut cream hair milk)

*I miss Enso Products...It was thebomb.com

*MORE TO COME-BEST & WORST...

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

Lita

Darcys Conditioning Cleansing Cream..Its not the Best or Worst..I will keep using it/Not repurchase...Not really feeling this one..My hair wasn't soft or hard....Just Whatever..

Happy Hair Growing!

Zaz

I forgot
Best
Detangling on damp hair, spritz day old dry hair with a water/condish mix, cuts back on detangling time.
Hairveda's vatika frosting, the smell is great and I use it to seal when I do remember to seal.

Last edited:

Ann0804

Best Products of 2011

Ouidad Double Detangling Comb
Coconut Oil
Castor Oil
Cisco
Shea Moisture Retention Shampoo
EO Rosemary/ Mint Shampoo
MJ Curling Meringue
MJ Super Sweetback treatment
Curlformers
Shea Butter

Worst Products of 2011

Matrix Shampoo (found out it has lye in it)
TRESemme - Instant Heat Tamer Spray
Eco Styler Gel
Joico - k-pak deep penetrating reconstructor
Pantene - Relaxed and Natural Breakage Defense Shampoo/Conditioner