***Summer 2011 No Heat Challenge***

I just put some mini twists in my hair last night (with the help of a friend) and it took me 3.5 hours. longest 3.5 hours of my life. I was inspired to do it because of all the posts I've seen lately. I LOVE how they turned out. Will take some pix later.

Can't wait to see the pictures!

Still gong strong without any heat. Honestly, I don't even know when the next time I will use heat. I am so used to banding/braiding to stretch my hair, I don't even think heat is necessary until I am ready to flat iron my hair. As for right now, I have my mini twists in a bun. I love my mini twists!

Here go my mini twist that I put in this past weekend. I hope to keep them in for at least two more weeks.

DSCN1282-vi.jpg

DSCN1283-vi.jpg

So far I'm doing good without using heat. I usually wear a wash and go for 2 days a week and then I rock a lacefront on the other days. It's also been super rainy here so that makes it 100% easy to avoid using heat.

I just got hired at a new job (after being laid off for 2+ years) which I'm due to start on 6/6. I thought about using one of my heat passes for my first day of work, but decided not to. I plan on getting my color touched up at the end of June and I didn't want to use my only 2 heat passes in the same month. So as it stands now I'll be using the 1st heat pass in late June and the last one in late August. :yep:

Still going strong with no heat. Only use my heat cap for DC and that isn't often. Usually I just leave my DC in overnight.

Wow I would like to jump in but it might be too late, I recently decided to do the whole summer no heat myself, just a wet ponytail. Texas heat is too hot to blow dry and flat iron so only wet pony tails or wet buns until sept or oct.....

Sign me up!. I am trying to thicken my strands and retain as much length as I can before my bday Sept 2, so this challenge is perfect for me. Right now Ialternate between braidouts and flexi sets. I use my heating cap for my dc and occasionaly my hooded dryer to dry my flexis, otherwise i let them dry overnight.

Starting pic below. Im about SL.

Attachments

• April 11 dry.jpg
    April 11 dry.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 9
i had to come and look @ this thread before I flat iron my hair. I think I'm going to put a sew-in in at least until the middle the end of June. I really want to leave the heat alone. (Give me credit, I am trying and have been doing good thus far.)

Finally, I am giving my starting pics! My mom visited me this week and she flat-ironed my hair. So, yeah, I used a pass.

Attachments

• hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 29
  • hair2.jpg
    hair2.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 26
  • hair4.jpg
    hair4.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 22
  • hair5.jpg
    hair5.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 26
Surprisingly I have not been itching to flat iron!! I was cowashing today, and I was like wow, I haven't flat ironed in so long! I have just been wearing my hair pulled back, and in a twist. So easy!

Hi ladies, it's been awhile, so I thought I'd check in. Still going strong with no heat. I am wearing my PS going on 6 weeks now and no heat passes used yet. I am thinking about using one in July to do a length check , but I am not completely sure yet.

HHG!

I know I'm late but here's my starting pic. I took this in late Feb or early March. It's just a blow out, not flat ironed or anything. My protective style of choice is a half wig.

Attachments

• Natural hair journey 030.JPG
    Natural hair journey 030.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 17
  • Natural hair journey 178.JPG
    Natural hair journey 178.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 13
Have not posted since entering the challenge. Still going strong without heat and thinking about using a pass this month for a length check. Trying a new product regimen featuring Nizoral, Megatek/AVJ and Tresseme Naturals Nourishing Conditioner. My hair is getting bigger so I hope that means there's been an increase in thickness and/or length. :grin:

Washed out my flat-iron. Actually missed my big hair. I'll be wearing my hair in a braidout or twistout updo or bun. Air-drying in 4 ponytails with twist or braids. This putting up in a bun/updo.

Using water and Giovanni Direct Leave-in with a scarf to lay down my edges. Works great for me.

That will be my summer style for my 4 month and counting transitioning hair. Easy breezy.

rocking a braid n curl today.
I'll probably be using a heat pass next week to do a blowout for my yarn braids....

I'm still hanging in there. No passes. No urge to use any heat on my natural hair.

BTW I will be 1 month natural tomorrow!!!

Sent from my PG06100 using PG06100

Still rocking my half wig. I'm honestly getting kind of tired of it tho. But I do love the convenience of it.

I still have yet to try any type of style on my natural hair. Maybe on my next off day I will try a twist out. I've been having issues with splits, hoping to get that resolved soon by adding more protein to my reggie. I think my next length check and flat iron will be Labor Day weekend, I may drive home that weekend and get a trim. I do not trust anyone up here yet to touch my hair.

I'm still going strong too. I will officially have these twists in for 3 weeks tomorrow and I am taking them down. They look like a fuzzy mess, but I hope they make for a good twist out. They will be going right back in after this weekend. I like the easy maintenance they give me.

Hello Ladies,
I haven't checked in lately so I just wanted to give a quick update. I have found it soooo easy to not use heat it's amazing to me, seeing how I used to be a chronic flatironer :) I have pretty much mastered a twist out on my hair and that's what I have been rocking lately, I love it!

I used a heat pass this weekend. I cowashed, blow dryed and flat ironed this weekend. I missed my straight hair! I am realizing that I like my hair straight more when it is a few months post. I will probably wash and braid out Saturday.

I took a pass over the weekend n straightened for my DD's HS graduation...wasn't to fond of how it looked so I washed it out on Sunday, LOL. I don't think avoiding heat for the remainder of the summer will be a problem...

Using one heat pass today. I am bad bad bad! Didn't plan it but the ragged ends of my hair are driving me crazy and have got to go so I am lightly flat ironing my hair to trim them off. I'm pretty happy with the health of my hair right now. I did the nape area and it feels very soft and there aren't many split or knots. I'm definitely SL - it's nice to see real progress. :)

Not an official member of this challenge but I'm def participating from the side line & staying away frm the heat! Mainly the flat iron. I'm relaxed but not bone straight so it's still kinda poofy after I wash.. Relaxed/textlaxed heads if u air dry how do u get straight hair with no frizz without flatironing???..and without rollersetting?

Can you guys PLEASE show heat-free styles that you are wearing? I'm running out of ideas here. I'm tired of twisting up my hair now, buns don't look well on me and umm...i need something flattering.

Back