Struggling with your natural hair? Come in here.....

faithVA

Sigh, welp I may get some extension locs and keep them in my hair permanently. i had surgery last year in February, and since then my hair has stopped growing. I didn't realize it and trimmed throughout the year. I realized it last month when my hair was SHORTER than it was last year at this time. I always get a growth spurt between November and April but not this time. I bought some of that Green Magic to see if it would help jumpstart it but its not budging. :nono:

What do you mean permanently? Are you talking about getting locs?

Are you thinking your lack of growth is related to your surgery? Are you medication related to that?

What is your actual hair regimen?

faithVA

I have my hair in twists right now. Even on the first day i put them in they were frizzy. But I don't think I have any glycerin products

My hair is always frizzy but not usually super frizzy the first few days of my twists. Usually frizz is a sign that your hair is trying to seek out moisture.

What's your regimen for putting in your twists?

1 Products
2. Twisting on wet or dry hair?
3. Are you doing the twirl and twist method? (twist both pieces before twisting them together)

Sometimes the hair is frizzy when its super soft.

Igotstripes

1 Products
2. Twisting on wet or dry hair?
3. Are you doing the twirl and twist method? (twist both pieces before twisting them together)

Sometimes the hair is frizzy when its super soft.
Thanks for helping me!
1. After washing I applied hairveda whipped creme leave in then I sealed with coconut/castor oil. To next day to twist I used the whipped clouds butter thing.
2. This time I did it on dry hair that I spritz with a spray bottle
3. No I haven't tried tht way, think it will help?

faithVA

Thanks for helping me!
1. After washing I applied hairveda whipped creme leave in then I sealed with coconut/castor oil. To next day to twist I used the whipped clouds butter thing.
2. This time I did it on dry hair that I spritz with a spray bottle
3. No I haven't tried tht way, think it will help?

Does your hair like Aloe Vera Gel? If you aren't going to use a gel, twisting cream or twisting butter then you may need something to lay down your cuticle. Teh whipped clouds butter sounds wonderful but it sounds like it really softens the hair. You may need something with a little more stiffness to tame the hair.

And yes the twist and twirl helps because it creates a rope type effect that helps the hairs stay in place.

I know there are videos on yt but I can't think of one right off hand.

Igotstripes

Does your hair like Aloe Vera Gel? If you aren't going to use a gel, twisting cream or twisting butter then you may need something to lay down your cuticle. Teh whipped clouds butter sounds wonderful but it sounds like it really softens the hair. You may need something with a little more stiffness to tame the hair.

And yes the twist and twirl helps because it creates a rope type effect that helps the hairs stay in place.

Nope AVG hates me for some reason but I do have some gel. I was planning on retwisting a few so ill try that on them. I shall google this technique, thanks

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Sigh, welp I may get some extension locs and keep them in my hair permanently. i had surgery last year in February, and since then my hair has stopped growing. I didn't realize it and trimmed throughout the year. I realized it last month when my hair was SHORTER than it was last year at this time. I always get a growth spurt between November and April but not this time. I bought some of that Green Magic to see if it would help jumpstart it but its not budging. :nono:
Hey BklynHeart. Hope you have recovered well after your surgery :yep:

If your nails are growing, then it's a good bet your hair is still growing. It's probably breaking off. Is it dry and brittle? Are you still on medication post-op? Lots of meds make hair grow slower or weakens it. What products are you using?

faithVA

Nope AVG hates me for some reason but I do have some gel. I was planning on retwisting a few so ill try that on them. I shall google this technique, thanks

I have found that butters make my twist look frizzy. Gels will lay them down but it can also make them hard without an oil layer first. I like twisting creams the best. I get the moisture and smoothness with the hold of a gel.

Try out the gel. And if that doesn't work try out an inexpensive twisting cream like Taliah Waajid.

BklynHeart

Hey @BklynHeart. Hope you have recovered well after your surgery :yep:

If your nails are growing, then it's a good bet your hair is still growing. It's probably breaking off. Is it dry and brittle? Are you still on medication post-op? Lots of meds make hair grow slower or weakens it. What products are you using?

DarkJoy, it's not brittle and I only have shed hair coming out when I comb it before washing. Right now I use the Sally's brand of Joico Reconstructor, Roux Porosity moisturizing conditioner, Roux Mendex reconstructor. For leave-ins the Shea Moisture Hibiscus works or their Thickening milk. I wash and leave my hair in six braids. I wonder though if its the Clairol Textures n Tones hair color I put in last June. maybe its growing out but also breaking it off. But my hair feels healthy.

Oh, and I havent been on any medications, only supplements since my surgery; vit. Cs, D3 with calcium and magnesium, multivitamin every other day, and olive leaf extract since I don't take the flu shot.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
@DarkJoy, it's not brittle and I only have shed hair coming out when I comb it before washing. Right now I use the Sally's brand of Joico Reconstructor, Roux Porosity moisturizing conditioner, Roux Mendex reconstructor. For leave-ins the Shea Moisture Hibiscus works or their Thickening milk. I wash and leave my hair in six braids. I wonder though if its the Clairol Textures n Tones hair color I put in last June. maybe its growing out but also breaking it off. But my hair feels healthy.

Oh, and I havent been on any medications, only supplements since my surgery; vit. Cs, D3 with calcium and magnesium, multivitamin every other day, and olive leaf extract since I don't take the flu shot.
Color can be a nightmare. I had to BC due to color damage. How often are you using those reconstructors? That's a lot of protein! Do you use shampoo that might have sulfates? Sulfates can break you off too.

When your hair is wet, run your fingers along the ends and look to see if tiny ends are breaking off--and I mean tiny like 1/8 or 1/16th of an inch. You might not notice them amongst your regular shed. Also check your head wraps and/or pillows.

Maybe instead of big trims, small dustings might be more beneficial to keep things under control and jump start your retention again, esp if you're getting rid of color issues.

Oh, and glad there's no lasting effects from your surgery BklynHeart!:yep:

Last edited:

BklynHeart

Color can be a nightmare. I had to BC due to color damage. How often are you using those reconstructors? That's a lot of protein! Do you use shampoo that might have sulfates? Sulfates can break you off too.

When your hair is wet, run your fingers along the ends and look to see if tiny ends are breaking off--and I mean tiny like 1/8 or 1/16th of an inch. You might not notice them amongst your regular shed. Also check your head wraps and/or pillows.

Maybe instead of big trims, small dustings might be more beneficial to keep things under control and jump start your retention again, esp if you're getting rid of color issues.

Oh, and glad there's no lasting effects from your surgery @BklynHeart!:yep:

Lucky for me I have the type of hair that loves proteins. Even Jen from Komaza said my hair can take it once every other week. I like reconstructors since they still leave my hair pretty soft. And I'll change my shampoo maybe it will help. I've been natural since '08 and never had a problem with sulfates but with this 'new' head of hair who knows.

My last trim was in December and it was a dusting. But its getting shorter, and the weird thing is that my ends doesn't look at though I need a trim. they still feel full. I'm thinking of maybe getting a semi-permanent rinse, not a demi, to coat the hair. I have greys coming in and even though it won't fully cover them at least it will close my cuticle and maybe strengthen the hair better.

faithVA

[USER=5328 said:
BklynHeart[/USER];18085429]Lucky for me I have the type of hair that loves proteins. Even Jen from Komaza said my hair can take it once every other week. I like reconstructors since they still leave my hair pretty soft. And I'll change my shampoo maybe it will help. I've been natural since '08 and never had a problem with sulfates but with this 'new' head of hair who knows.

My last trim was in December and it was a dusting. But its getting shorter, and the weird thing is that my ends doesn't look at though I need a trim. they still feel full. I'm thinking of maybe getting a semi-permanent rinse, not a demi, to coat the hair. I have greys coming in and even though it won't fully cover them at least it will close my cuticle and maybe strengthen the hair better.

Ok hold up. You had an analysis? What did they say was going on with your hair?

Please don't get a color. You need to figure out what is going on with your hair first before you start playing around with things like that. From what you are saying there isn't any internal reason your hair isn't growing. So it must be breaking.

Did the analysis say that you were high porosity?

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Yea BklynHeart the hair analysis is news! What were the results? Was this before or after your surgery? I agree with faith that a rinse might be a bad idea. I have grey too (ugh!) and I understand, but am dealing with it until my hair is in better shape. I also agree that it has to be breaking (just tiny ones) that you arent noticing. I mean, hell, if you still have to shave your legs (lol!) then that means your body hair (including head) is still growing. We just gotta figure out what the culprit is...

BklynHeart

Ok hold up. You had an analysis? What did they say was going on with your hair?

Please don't get a color. You need to figure out what is going on with your hair first before you start playing around with things like that. From what you are saying there isn't any internal reason your hair isn't growing. So it must be breaking.

Did the analysis say that you were high porosity?

Yea @BklynHeart the hair analysis is news! What were the results? Was this before or after your surgery? I agree with faith that a rinse might be a bad idea. I have grey too (ugh!) and I understand, but am dealing with it until my hair is in better shape. I also agree that it has to be breaking (just tiny ones) that you arent noticing. I mean, hell, if you still have to shave your legs (lol!) then that means your body hair (including head) is still growing. We just gotta figure out what the culprit is...

DarkJoy, and faithVA, Jen said my hair was highly porous and to incorporate more reconstructors and proteins. the ones I was using wasn't strong enough. She did a followup analysis in December and said everything looked good and if I wanted to do a semi-permanent color that's fine since its just a coating over my hair and wont change anything. I thought about henna but I tried that years ago and that crap left my hair dull and hard. The only semi-permanent brand I remember using back in the day was the Cellophane and it left my hair in great shape. But I was also relaxed.

It's just so frustrating since its been a year from the surgery and I have to deal with this. And faithVA, I'd rather get locs because weave never worked with my hair, always broke off, and I never found a nice wig that looked natural.

Last edited:

faithVA

Jen said my hair was highly porous and to incorporate more reconstructors and proteins. the ones I was using wasn't strong enough. She did a followup analysis in December and said everything looked good and if I wanted to do a semi-permanent color that's fine since its just a coating over my hair and wont change anything. I thought about henna but I tried that years ago and that crap left my hair dull and hard. The only semi-permanent brand I remember using back in the day was the Cellophane and it left my hair in great shape. But I was also relaxed.

It's just so frustrating since its been a year from the surgery and I have to deal with this. And faithVA, I'd rather get locs because weave never worked with my hair, always broke off, and I never found a nice wig that looked natural.

Ok that is helpful. So you told Jen that your hair hasn't grown in a year and what did she say? There must have been something in the first analysis about breakage or something. We are missing something.

As a natural did she know why your hair was highly porous? That is quite rare for a natural?

There is nothing wrong with getting locs. I just couldn't tell if you were
getting extensions or getting locs.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I can't answer questions until I understand something. It's just the programmer in me :yep:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
BklynHeart, also what styles are you wearing daily? Just wondering if it could be from manipulation and perhaps a low-mani style might help. How long and often the DCs? And faith is right that there feels like some info is missing...

BklynHeart

Ok that is helpful. So you told Jen that your hair hasn't grown in a year and what did she say? There must have been something in the first analysis about breakage or something. We are missing something.

As a natural did she know why your hair was highly porous? That is quite rare for a natural?

There is nothing wrong with getting locs. I just couldn't tell if you were
getting extensions or getting locs.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I can't answer questions until I understand something. It's just the programmer in me :yep:

@BklynHeart, also what styles are you wearing daily? Just wondering if it could be from manipulation and perhaps a low-mani style might help. How long and often the DCs? And faith is right that there feels like some info is missing...

faithVA, DarkJoy, Jen knows about the surgery and told me sometimes that may happen, especially if its major surgery. The hair color is what made my hair porous, but prior to that my hair has always loved proteins. I keep my hair in twists or a low bun. I don't wear it out at all since its not as thick as it used to be. I can't wear individual braids, my hair isn't thick enough and it doesn't look as professional. Jen told me once my hair is back to normal I can get locs, so I'm giving myself a few more months then loc it.

Conditioning, I usually leave on for about 20 minutes under a dryer. I noticed if I leave it on longer my hair doesn't like it and I will get more breakage.

faithVA

Ok BklynHeart. Sorry I asked a million questions :lol: Just had to wrap my hair around it.

Since you have had the analysis, I feel comfortable that you got good information to go forward with. So just continue with your regimen. I have never had a major surgery so that is unfamiliar territory.

I would recommend to add a hot oil treatment on wash day and to start doing scalp massages for at least 1 minute a day, if you aren't doing these already.

And if you want locs go for it but make sure you aren't just doing it out of frustration. If you could see in the future and could see that you would have 6" of growth by the end of 2013 and you still want locs then go for it.

BklynHeart

Ok @BklynHeart. Sorry I asked a million questions :lol: Just had to wrap my hair around it.

Since you have had the analysis, I feel comfortable that you got good information to go forward with. So just continue with your regimen. I have never had a major surgery so that is unfamiliar territory.

I would recommend to add a hot oil treatment on wash day and to start doing scalp massages for at least 1 minute a day, if you aren't doing these already.

And if you want locs go for it but make sure you aren't just doing it out of frustration. If you could see in the future and could see that you would have 6" of growth by the end of 2013 and you still want locs then go for it.

Thanks faithVA! One of my friends have locs and they are so beautiful. I think I'm at a point that I know my hair can't take relaxing again and I'm a bit tired of dealing with loose hair.

greenandchic

Update & Question

Update - I noticed since I've been using shampoo on my scalp once a week, I have significantly less shedding. I will keep it up to see if the trend continues. I've been dealing with shedding on an off for years but never really got to the bottom of it (besides once when I corrected my low ferritin levels).'

Question - My ends feel pretty rough at times but I don't have split ends or SSKs. I seal often. I wonder if I need to take about 1" off to "correct" this issue but I want to hear from others regarding rough ends that are not related to splits.

faithVA

[USER=259402 said:
greenandchic[/USER];18090603]Update & Question

Update - I noticed since I've been using shampoo on my scalp once a week, I have significantly less shedding. I will keep it up to see if the trend continues. I've been dealing with shedding on an off for years but never really got to the bottom of it (besides once when I corrected my low ferritin levels).'

Question - My ends feel pretty rough at times but I don't have split ends or SSKs. I seal often. I wonder if I need to take about 1" off to "correct" this issue but I want to hear from others regarding rough ends that are not related to splits.

When was the last time you trimmed or dusted?

HanaKuroi

greenandchic said:
I dusted almost two months ago.

Can you see any splits?

I have heard other members complain about this. Their ends feel bad with no visible splits. They trim and then the ends feel bad again later.

I can't remember why or if they figured it out.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

faithVA

[USER=259402 said:
greenandchic[/USER];18090639]I dusted almost two months ago.

You may need to dust but I would wait to trim an inch especially if you have been taking care of your ends. I am the master of trimming and trimming and not getting anywhere.

Instead of trimming an inch, I would suggest
1. Trying applying a reconstructor on your ends followed by a deep DC.
2. Then for two weeks trying moisturizing and sealing your ends every day.

I would hate for you to trim an inch, then two weeks later your ends bush out again.

greenandchic

Can you see any splits?

I have heard other members complain about this. Their ends feel bad with no visible splits. They trim and then the ends feel bad again later.

Sounds like I need to dust!

You may need to dust but I would wait to trim an inch especially if you have been taking care of your ends. I am the master of trimming and trimming and not getting anywhere.

Instead of trimming an inch, I would suggest
1. Trying applying a reconstructor on your ends followed by a deep DC.
2. Then for two weeks trying moisturizing and sealing your ends every day.

I would hate for you to trim an inch, then two weeks later your ends bush out again.

I will try that! I have AO GBP - would that count as a reconstructor or are you suggesting something stronger?

faithVA

Sounds like I need to dust!

I will try that! I have AO GBP - would that count as a reconstructor or are you suggesting something stronger?

I was suggesting something stronger. AO GBP is a balancing conditioner. But it doesn't hurt to try it. I don't think your hair isn't in bad shape so trying a few things first shouldn't hurt anything. Try what you have before you go out and buy something else.

Your ends are just porous and they need a little more care.

Cruzankink

Can you see any splits?

HanaKuroi I was one of the members complaining about bushy ends.

UPDATE: For appx. 2-3 weeks, I've been remdedying the problem by heavy sealing w/ an olive oil pomade. And although I moisture/seal my hair daily, I have also concentrated on ensuring my ends of super moisturized and sealed. My targeted reggie seems to have helped tremendously since my ends don't feel bushy. But compared to the rest of my hair they are dry. faithVA recommended that I email Komaza care to see if they would allow me to send my follow up sample since I was unable to send it at the requested time. Jenn told me I can. I am just waiting to send a sufficient sample so Jenn can do a thorough examination.

greenandchic I wouldn't recommend you cut 1" off until you determine what's causing the dry ends. As Hana mentioned, last Aug. I cut 1/2-1" of hair and in some areas close to 1.5" and my dry/bushy ends returned.

HanaKuroi

Cruzankink said:
HanaKuroi I was one of the members complaining about bushy ends.

UPDATE: For appx. 2-3 weeks, I've been remdedying the problem by heavy sealing w/ an olive oil pomade. And although I moisture/seal my hair daily, I have also concentrated on ensuring my ends of super moisturized and sealed. My targeted reggie seems to have helped tremendously since my ends don't feel bushy. But compared to the rest of my hair they are dry. faithVA recommended that I email Komaza care to see if they would allow me to send my follow up sample since I was unable to send it at the requested time. Jenn told me I can. I am just waiting to send a sufficient sample so Jenn can do a thorough examination.

greenandchic I wouldn't recommend you cut 1" off until you determine what's causing the dry ends. As Hana mentioned, last Aug. I cut 1/2-1" of hair and in some areas close to 1.5" and my dry/bushy ends returned.

I am so glad your ends are improving!

I remembered it was someone not that long ago with that problem.

I am glad Jen is letting you send in your samples that was a great suggestion Faith.

What are your thoughts about baggying your ends only?