Struggling with your relaxed hair? COME ON IN.....

ESmackum

Bumping... because this thread is very useful.

Hair profile? I believe shoulder length 4b (new growth has coils about the size of the little springs in a pen). Not sure about porosity (I might have to do that water test mentioned in this thread).

Reggie and products? Co-wash once a week (Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship Conditioner). Deep condition about every other week with SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque mixed with olive oil under a dryer for 20 min. Clarify with Suave Clarifying Shampoo about every 3 weeks. Airdry using the t shirt method and then the scarf method. NTM Leave in for daily moisture and seal with either a little coconut oil or Shea Moisture ORGANIC Shea Butter Baby Oil Rub w/Argan Oil (sounds weird but it doesnt have mineral oil or parabens). Oh and I do an Aphogee two step about a week or so before my relaxer, a week or so after my relaxer and about 7 weeks after my relaxer (is this waaaay too much???). I stretch for about 3 months. And I use S-Curl Activator when trying to gently get through the new growth.

How do you style your hair? All kinds of ways. After a relaxer either down, in a ponytail, a bun or a bantu knot out. When the new growth starts getting thick I bun, bantu or braid out or I wear a wig with either no hair out or about a fourth inch of hair out at the front edge and the rest pulled back in a low braided ponytail

What problems do you have with your hair? A few. Breakage and shedding are probably the biggest. It has gotten better since I stopped using heat at home. But I notice that about 2 inches or so of the hair in the front of my head is WAY shorter than the rest. It used to be my crown that was always short... really short. The difference is that back then, I used to wrap my hair at night and now I mostly bun. But I use a satin scarf and pillowcase at night (wild sleeper).
I also work out in some way about five times a week. So if it's in a style, it gets sweated out really quick. I would co wash more but I get home around 10:30 most nights and am sleepy as hell and if I try to air dry, its not dry by the morning. Me + wet hair + cold air = super scratchy throat.
And my hair always feels dry. Is it possibly the sweat? Am I not using enough moisture?
I have only been at shoulder length one other time in my life and I am not trying to lose it. :ohwell:

MaraWithLove

ESmackum Hello,I'm sure others will chime in before the day is out.

As far as shedding goes, have you tried tea or coffee rinses? Also, I didn't see it mentioned in your post, but do you use a leave-in or some kind of moisturizer on your hair? Is it possible that you use more protein than you do moisture? I know this was once a brief problem for me which resulted in some breakage.

crazytrish75

Love the relaxed hair threads! :grin:

HAIR PROFILE: 4a/b, coarse, bonelaxed (texlaxing is disasterous on my hair :nono:)

REGGIE AND PRODUCTS:
*stretch relaxers 12-16 weeks, self-relax with Silk elements no-lye

*prepoo each wash/cowash with Ayurvedic powders(amla,brahmi,bringraj) mixed with WGO (if i have time, i apply this mix -takes about 5 minutes to mix and slap it on, cover w/baggy and leave it while i cook dinner, then rinse after. If i'm pressed for time, i put it in a squirt bottle and apply at the beginning of shower, do my business and rinse at the end:yep:

*shampoo 1xweek- nexxus therappe

*cowash 2xweek- HE LTR

*DC x1-2 week alternate between AO HSR and AO GPB

*moisturize 1xday with my spritz (rosewater and AVJ) nexxus humectress (yes, the dc) and seal with EVCO. When deep in a stretch, i have to up my moisture game with scurl and seal with my whipped shea butter mix (shea butter, evco, vit e oil and castor oil)

*jamila BAQ henna every 6 weeks, aphogee 2 minute every other week, nexxus emergencee every 6-8 weeks (my hair LOVES protein:lick:)

*have not used direct heat since beginning of HHJ. Sometimes use heat cap with dc, but that's it. Airdry always

STYLE: buns, french braids and updo's 99.9% of the time. Braid out or bantu knot out for special occasions

WHAT PROBLEMS DO I HAVE: I was afraid of protein treatments /overload when I first started and over moisturized, which led to breakage. I finally got the moisture/protein balance under control and learned excellent relaxer techniques on here, along with stretching and my hair has thrived sooo much. I get so many compliments now! I reached APL for the first time ever and my final goal is MBL. And I am regaining my childhood thickness. Figuring out my reggie was the key, and then sticking to it. It sounds complicated when u read it above, but it truly only takes me minutes. I usually dc or do my ayurveda while perusing LHCF, cooking, cleaning, etc.

When my sister led me to this site in January of this year, my hair was to' up from the flo' up. :nono: I had been self relaxing for years from root to tip every 5-6 weeks without fail, not neutralizng properly (i thought it was normal to smell relaxer for a few days after), shampooing occasionally, no DC, i would occasionally slap some cheapie conditioner in for a few minutes and call it good, greasing scalp with bb supr gro (and that only sporadically), "moisturizing" with Pink lotion, ripping comb through dry nappy hair and wondering why there was hair ALL in my comb and all over the sink, lol. Occasional gluing in tracks for the appearance of thicker hair then ripping said tracks out. Flat ironing almost daily (and sometimes on damp hair for whatever reason thinking it would "seal" the moisture in :lol:) on highest setting, never using heat protectant, and holding flat iron on hair especially on ends as they always looked bushy (split and broken, smh), roughly blow drying on highest setting with comb attachment. Had never heard of a protein treatment. See thru ends, nape all broken off from tying silk scarf in tight knot at the back every night for years, brushing vigourously thinking it would stimulate growth (on dry as a desert hair or on wet hair) and a section of an inch-long extremely coarse balding, itching patch in my crown that I would overprocess trying to "straighten". It resulted in a big bald spot there that was very visible when freshly relaxed. And last, thin edges from putting relaxer there first because they were so "nappy" and wouldn't lay down. :nono: HOW I had hair at all, I will never know, lol. Despite all this, I was shoulder length (but an extremely thin and uneven unhealthy SL)when I started, but had never been past it. Thank GOD, bald spot has filled in from sparse 1" to thicker 8 inches :grin:
Sorry so long! But had to share how much LHCF has helped me! I'm so grateful my sister led me here. She tried to tell me about it for awhile, but I wasn't listening:rolleyes:

karenjoe

;lack of moisture gave me thin ends.... I'm working on them.

stretching is getting easier w more moisture in my hair....

EnExitStageLeft

Hey Yall :bighug: Im pretty much a :newbie: but, I figured this could be like a formal introduction, so here we go.....

Hair profile?
-I am a Texlaxed type 4 , with fine strands, a high density and normal to high porosity.

Reggie and products?
-I wash 2x per week.

-I cowash on Tuesday or Wednesdays (Sometimes Thursdays:ohwell:, you'll see why as you continue to read). I use any cheapy silicone free conditioner w/ slip and add oils and honey. I then sit under my soft bonnet dryer for a more intense conditioning session then cowash and detangle in the shower.

-I Shampoo and DC on Friday or Saturday (Sometimes on Sunday :perplexed:, again keep reading to find out why lol). I prepoo using either using topical growth oil on my scalp and a ceramide enriched oil on my length and ends for at least a hour. I then shampoo using Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo (If I am clarifying I will first use the Elucence Moisture Acidifying Shampoo and then follow with the Creme Con. Shampoo). If its a protein week I'll then use a mild to moderate protein conditioner (I have a steady rotation of staple PT's, however I can say that all of them are silicone free). After I rinse my PT out I'll follow up with a moisturizing deep conditioning treatment under my steamer for 30 minutes (Again I rotate my Staple Moisturizing DC's and they too are all silicone free).

-I Moisturize and Seal once per day using:
Distilled water, A cream moisturizer (Currently I am using Darcy's Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Bean Curl Smoothing Creme and LOVING IT! Definitely in my Staple Rotation with QB BRBC), and a Oil/Butter (Since it is Fall and dangerously close to winter, I am using a Butter to seal. The butter I'm using is Silk Dreams Mocha Bling Butter).

How do you style your hair?
-I bun like a maniac in the cooler months.

What problems do you have with your hair?
-I AM SOOOOOOOO LAZY!:look:Like, its pretty ridiculous just how lazy I am when it comes to my hair. Like this week I was suppose to cowash and didn't do it. I know what your thinking, your thinking "Oh EnExit that isn't that bad!" and your right it isn't. BUT going almost 3 days without M&Sing is :nono:; thankfully my hair stayed pretty moisturized even without daily M&S sessions. Now don't get me wrong I'm in no way bored with my Hair Journey, but this hair stuff seems to take longer and longer and Im just not about that life sometimes :lachen:.

Last edited:

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
I have been here for YEARS and pretty much have everything together but recently I've had one problem.

Hair profile? My hair is thick and coils (not sure 4B or 4C). I'm almost BSL. Relax every 10-12 weeks at a hair salon.

Reggie and products? Keracare line mostly. They use mizani at my hair salon. I can't use sulfates :nono:. I can't even use SLS in soap or I get a rash.

I use Amla oil and cheap yogurt as a pre-shampoo, shampoo with keracare, and use keracare moisturizing conditioner or ORS mayo. My leave-in is hawaiian silky 14-in-1 OR Aussie detangling (smells good but can't use it in summer) OR giovanni direct leave in. Aussie works bets at getting rid of the tangles but it makes my hair dry. I use coconut oil OR tsubaki oil if I have some.

How do you style your hair? Air dry in a wet bun OR air dry in rollers. I alternate. I've also tried flexi-rods with bad results. :lol:

What problems do you have with your hair? Tangles, tangles, and more tangles. I never had any tangling problems in the US. It's not because of the water because I live in a soft water area. I lose so much hair. :nono:

InBloom

In my new-growth
Hair profile? 4 a/b I think...

Reggie and products? Wash weekly (2 or 3 times) either with a sulfate free shampoo or a cowash. Shampoo: Keracare Hydrating/detangling, L'Anza Healing Moisture, Organix Macadamia and occasional Keracare 1st Lather.

Conditioner: Keracare Humecto, L'Anza Healing Moisture, Organix Macadamia, Joico KPak, Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose, Kenra Moisture (sometimes), Silicon Mix (occasional)

Cowash: Tresemme Naturals, Silicon Mix, EverCreme L'oreal, Topganix (new to me!), As I am Coconut

Proteins: Aphogee 2 Minute, Joico KPak, L'umiere #4, Organix Macadamia.

How do you style your hair? Out, messy clip ups, braid or bantu knot clip ups. Revisited ROLLERSETTING recently and now I'm a convert.

What problems do you have with your hair? Breakage. I use way too much heat. Nothing combats it (deep conditioning, heat protection, lower heat setting, blah blah blah). I MUST limit my heat usage rather than weekly or else I will be shoulder length forever. I've been able to have my hair always swanging and LOOKING nice, but never past my shoulders. I've always had to trim frequently due to the heat.

I had a lot of failed rollersets before, but I've got my second wind. Yay!