Struggling with your natural hair? Come in here.....

charmtreese

I normally wear 2 strand twists for a few day, then twist out (these are wack lol), or I wear a protective style a phone pony. These are the only two styles that I wear, outside of the occasional 2hr process flat iron.
My Reggie:
Wash once a week with nexxus therapee deep condition with humectress/2min reconstructor/ or macadamia nut conditioner and olive oil. This part is ok. I normally wet twist and wear a pin up until it gets frizzy. then I conditioner wash with suave and either retwist or wear the phony pony.
I just don't look glamorous ever! Just the same ole 2 styles. Braid outs are ok. But those styles last one day its over lol. I guess im just in a natural hair slump! help :-/

Yeah I'm in a natural style slump also. Ive been contemplating kinky twist, but I'm not sure...I'm just so tired of my phony puff!

faithVA

[USER=292856 said:
BraunSugar[/USER];18054487]:lol: I profess my love for this brush to anybody that will hear me! I've tried wide toothed combs, Denmans (Satan's brush :nono:), and even my fingers, only to end up frustrated and ready to cut my hair. It was a complete fluke that I found my brush at Kmart and it is identical to the Wet Brush. I was so happy when I used it and found out how well it worked. I was strongly considering either BCing or texlaxing before I got this brush. I'm going to order 2 of them next month.

Okay, I'm done. :lol::lol::lol:

Kmart you say? blasphemy!!! What brand is it? I may stop in my Kmart and see if they have it.

When you order the 2 next month are you ordering them from Wet Brush?

My hair is still short so I can still finger detangle but I certainly could use a back up. I tried the denman :nono: I have bone combs :nono:

BraunSugar

Kmart you say? blasphemy!!! What brand is it? I may stop in my Kmart and see if they have it.

When you order the 2 next month are you ordering them from Wet Brush?

My hair is still short so I can still finger detangle but I certainly could use a back up. I tried the denman :nono: I have bone combs :nono:

The brand is Conair. I am going to order an actual Wet Brush from the Wet Brush website or Folica.com because I haven't seen the brush the last 2 times I went into Kmart. I may look in a different one to see if they have it there.

homegirljiggy

Yeah I'm in a natural style slump also. Ive been contemplating kinky twist, but I'm not sure...I'm just so tired of my phony puff!
yes kinky twists would be a great change. If it were not for me having my twists I think I probably would have don't something permanent today.

faithVA

The brand is Conair. I am going to order an actual Wet Brush from the Wet Brush website or Folica.com because I haven't seen the brush the last 2 times I went into Kmart. I may look in a different one to see if they have it there.

hmm, ok. I have seen the Conair brushes. Not sure where. If I find them I will let you know. I roam so much not sure which store I was in: Target, CVS, Walgreen, Kroger :look:

BraunSugar

hmm, ok. I have seen the Conair brushes. Not sure where. If I find them I will let you know. I roam so much not sure which store I was in: Target, CVS, Walgreen, Kroger :look:

This is what it looks like:

I haven't seen it everywhere that Conair products are sold. Let me know if you find it though.

faithVA

^^Thanks for the pic. I went and looked on Conairs site and they had 50-11 brushes. I was like oh no, I won't know if I find the right one :lol:

I live in the country, they may still have it here.

That think does not look like it will go through my hair :lol: I can see me going to work with that thing stuck in the back of my hair.

faithVA

I finally bought a wig. I like the way it looks. Hopefully I will wear it :lol: Maybe I will start by wearing it on the weekends to see if I can get used to it. Its being shipped from the UK so maybe it will be here by the end of next week.

It would be nice if I loved it. Then I can just braid my hair up each week.

wwb025-01.jpg

HanaKuroi

I like that wig! The way the hair falls is very natural. Is it human hair?

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

faithVA

I like that wig! The way the hair falls is very natural. Is it human hair?

Yes it's human hair. I figured I would try human hair to get it closer to my own fuzzy hair. I am thinking this is that my flat twist outs may look like when it gets longer.

Cute wig faithVA! Love it!!!

Thanks ladies. For some reason I'm nervous. My last 2 wigs were a fail.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
This does not look like a fail, faith! She's so purrdddyyyy!!

OAN: So been wearing this marley phoney bun and I love it. However, my own little bun is about the size of my thumb. Well, half of it :lol:. Gonna have to find something tiny (lol) to wrap around it to protect from the marley hair. I noticed my own hair curls up into the fake hair and snaps when I undo it. Urgh.

HanaKuroi

DarkJoy said:
This does not look like a fail, faith! She's so purrdddyyyy!!

OAN: So been wearing this marley phoney bun and I love it. However, my own little bun is about the size of my thumb. Well, half of it :lol:. Gonna have to find something tiny (lol) to wrap around it to protect from the marley hair. I noticed my own hair curls up into the fake hair and snaps when I undo it. Urgh.

Nooo. Can you wrap your baby bun in satin?

faithVA

I have made some progress in the moisturizing business. Last night I mixed my tea blend (Chagrin Valley) with an equal amount of marshmallow root. I spritzed my hair with that and then sealed with the Qhemet Amla. It went on really well. This morning my hair was soft/moist, an 8 on a scale of 10. That is really good for me. My twist separated easily. I didn't have to lift my roots with a comb. And I got a little bit more hang time.

Now to see if its repeatable.

APrayer4Hair

Last co wash was 2 days ago. I've been refreshing my puff with water and castor oil. Only product I've used the last couple of days is castor oil. I've ditched leave-ins and moisturizers for a while. I ordered a couple of things from vitacost including a reconstructor so I'll do that as soon as it comes.

faithVA

[USER=346925 said:
APrayer4Hair[/USER];18068687]Last co wash was 2 days ago. I've been refreshing my puff with water and castor oil. Only product I've used the last couple of days is castor oil. I've ditched leave-ins and moisturizers for a while. I ordered a couple of things from vitacost including a reconstructor so I'll do that as soon as it comes.

What reconstructor did you get?

Hairness

Hi everyone! I’m glad to catch up on this thread! It’s interesting that there is talk of wigs. I recently decided to cornrow my hair and leave it alone underneath a wig. I’ve never used wigs as a regular style so I have a lot to learn. I happened upon two threads by ladypanialo. Is she still on the boards? She used wigs to grow her hair and copied every post she made in those threads and I plan on studying them. I’m just tired or doing my hair every night…it takes at least 1 ½ hours – 2 hours….every night!

I’m diligent and gentle but my hair, it continues to break off and fall out. I’ve lost so much hair that my parts in the back are huge! They almost look like bald spots. I have some photos on my iPhone which I’ll post later.

For the last two weeks I’ve tried to copy several aspects of faithVA’s reggie. Here’s what I did after washing with diluted shampoo:
-After shampooing I applied Aubrey Honey Suckle Rose Conditioner with heating cap 15 minutes and 25 minutes under a skully hat.
-Rinsed out the conditioner and immediately put on a plastic conditioning cap and heating cap for 15 minutes
-Applied oil mix, leave in conditioner and pomades
-Twisted my hair
-JBCO + Lavender e.o. in parts and edges
-Tiiva Growth Pomade on edges

The next day my hair was more moisturized then the past but still not like before the henna from hell. I can touch it without hearing it but it still feels straw-like. I also still get scabs and scalp irritations. Sleeping in conditioner is a no for me, my scalp is too sensitive.

What’s Good

Because I’ve lost so much bulk, my hair goes nicely into my tucked ponytail or bun without using 10 bobby pins to flattening it down

The hair that’s left continues to grow; I think the hair in the back is apl now (it was past cbl before)

With all that I’ve said if you saw me on the street you probably find nothing wrong with my hair…you might even consider my hair thick. I don’t think anyone would notice any problems if they didn’t have intimate knowledge of my hair, like a hairdresser, if I had one. Only I know the extent of my hair loss and if it continues I will be bald in the back.

Future Plans

Use ORS Replenishing Conditioner for some protein and strength

Use Joico Chealating/Clarifying shampoo – I’ve used it in the past and it makes my hair feel clean and soft without stripping. I’ve been trying to re-moisturize my hair for months and haven’t clarified. I think everything with work better if I do.

I want to try Aubrey White Camellia Conditioner – It’s not as thick as the Honey Suckle Rose and I think that will be better for my fine/medium low porosity (I think) strands.

Maybe try black tea rinses.

I’m open to suggestions...you all know better than me...

HHG

faithVA

[USER=217926 said:
Hairness[/USER];18068783]Hi everyone! I’m glad to catch up on this thread! It’s interesting that there is talk of wigs. I recently decided to cornrow my hair and leave it alone underneath a wig. I’ve never used wigs as a regular style so I have a lot to learn. I happened upon two threads by ladypanialo. Is she still on the boards? She used wigs to grow her hair and copied every post she made in those threads and I plan on studying them. I’m just tired or doing my hair every night…it takes at least 1 ½ hours – 2 hours….every night!

I’m diligent and gentle but my hair, it continues to break off and fall out. I’ve lost so much hair that my parts in the back are huge! They almost look like bald spots. I have some photos on my iPhone which I’ll post later.

For the last two weeks I’ve tried to copy several aspects of faithVA’s reggie. Here’s what I did after washing with diluted shampoo:
-After shampooing I applied Aubrey Honey Suckle Rose Conditioner with heating cap 15 minutes and 25 minutes under a skully hat.
-Rinsed out the conditioner and immediately put on a plastic conditioning cap and heating cap for 15 minutes
-Twisted my hair

The next day my hair was more moisturized then the past but still not like before the henna from hell. I can touch it without hearing it but it still feels straw-like. I also still get scabs and scalp irritations. Sleeping in conditioner is a no for me, my scalp is too sensitive.

What’s Good

Because I’ve lost so much bulk, my hair goes nicely into my tucked ponytail or bun without using 10 bobby pins to flattening it down

The hair that’s left continues to grow; I think the hair in the back is apl now (it was past cbl before)

With all that I’ve said if you saw me on the street you probably find nothing wrong with my hair…you might even consider my hair thick. I don’t think anyone would notice any problems if they didn’t have intimate knowledge of my hair, like a hairdresser, if I had one. Only I know the extent of my hair loss and if it continues I will be bald in the back.

Future Plans

Use Joico Chealating/Clarifying shampoo – I’ve used it in the past and it makes my hair feel clean and soft without stripping. I’ve been trying to re-moisturize my hair for months and haven’t clarified. I think everything with work better if I do.

I want to try Aubrey White Camellia Conditioner – It’s not as thick as the Honey Suckle Rose and I think that will be better for my fine/medium low porosity (I think) strands.

HHG

:bighug: I'm sorry you are experiencing hair loss. But I do think it is very possible to reverse. I'm not good at keeping stories straight so forgive me if I mix yours up with someone elses. And I'm to lazy to go back to this thread :lol:

But it seems like you experiences some time of scalp irritation thus the hair loss. Definitely stay away from extended DC treatments. Before you shampoo, spend some extended time massaging your scalp under the water. And as you shampoo continue to do a really good massage.

I would skip the tea rinse for right now. Some people's hair loves tea. Others it makes it as hard as the henna.

And ORS is more of moisturizer than a protein. You may want to look into a reconstructor. I don't remember if you actually mentioned doing a protein treatment before. If you do the reconstructor, follow it with a really good moisture DC.

Hairness

:bighug: I'm sorry you are experiencing hair loss. But I do think it is very possible to reverse. I'm not good at keeping stories straight so forgive me if I mix yours up with someone elses. And I'm to lazy to go back to this thread :lol:

But it seems like you experiences some time of scalp irritation thus the hair loss. Definitely stay away from extended DC treatments. Before you shampoo, spend some extended time massaging your scalp under the water. And as you shampoo continue to do a really good massage.

I would skip the tea rinse for right now. Some people's hair loves tea. Others it makes it as hard as the henna.

And ORS is more of moisturizer than a protein. You may want to look into a reconstructor. I don't remember if you actually mentioned doing a protein treatment before. If you do the reconstructor, follow it with a really good moisture DC.

Thanks you FaithVA!!!! I don't post much so it's easy to forget my story. I'm the one that slept in my henna back in January and my hair is dried out and hasn't stopped falling out since...more in the back than the front. The back is crinkly, drawn up, very dry and fragile. Three weeks ago I used Elucence Extended Moisture Repair Treatment. The breakage subsided a little but now it’s back with a vengeance. I think I have to use protein every other week to keep this breakage under control. I always follow with a moisturizing conditioner. At this point, I just want to braid it up and leave it alone.

Where did you buy your wig? How do you plan on caring for your hair underneath?

BTW, I bought some apricot oil. I’ll try it this weekend. I ordered some sunflower oil too….also some more shea butter and will try mango butter for the first time. I understand it’s more moisturizing than shea butter. Thanks again.

HanaKuroi

Hairness said:
Hi everyone! I’m glad to catch up on this thread! It’s interesting that there is talk of wigs. I recently decided to cornrow my hair and leave it alone underneath a wig. I’ve never used wigs as a regular style so I have a lot to learn. I happened upon two threads by ladypanialo. Is she still on the boards? She used wigs to grow her hair and copied every post she made in those threads and I plan on studying them. I’m just tired or doing my hair every night…it takes at least 1 ½ hours – 2 hours….every night!

-Twisted my hair

What’s Good

Future Plans

HHG

Oh no! I am so sorry! Can you go to a dermatologist? Can you get allergy tests done?

I had a reaction and lost some hair a few months ago. I went to the derm and got fixed up. I am allergic to several preservatives in hair products.

Hairness

Oh no! I am so sorry! Can you go to a dermatologist? Can you get allergy tests done?

I had a reaction and lost some hair a few months ago. I went to the derm and got fixed up. I am allergic to several preservatives in hair products.

I haven't been to a dermatologist yet. I thought this would subside by now. I can certainly try that too!

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Yikes! Hairness! Sorry for your dilemma. You had me at fine hair. It's hard to care for without breakage. Adding to other suggestions:

1.avoid right cornrows and keeping them in more than a week or so until your hair is stronger
2. Keep the cornrows out for longer periods
3. Ditch regular use of soapy shampoo. Or get it down to once. Twice a month. Cowashing a cpl times a week instead. Be sure conditioners are silicon free.
4. Try a raw egg for a 5 min pure protein. It could be your hair is reacting to the 1000 other chemicals in these conditioners. Immediately follow with a moisture DC.

This is it for now. Keep us updated on your progress

hnntrr

Twists are actually turning out well and I think this is similar in volume my natural hair will be I think (from how my mom said my hair was when I was little). So best get used to it now. I think I am starting to like it though, and most important my hair is being protected...at least the parts not sticking out of the twists. Some of them I have to redo cause my relaxed ends will not be tamed.

Spritzed my hair twice today, once this morning and then once when I took a nap earlier today. I think I will also spritz again with just water tonight and wrap it to help lock moisture in....worried about the synthetic hair being drying. Probably going to cow ash on saturday and twist so it stays nice (gonna be a huge experiment I have no idea how to wash hair in braids).

So thankfully I wont have to deal with my roots for a little while.
Overall I like them, I just wish she hadn't cut most of them blunt.

Hairness

Yikes! @Hairness! Sorry for your dilemma. You had me at fine hair. It's hard to care for without breakage. Adding to other suggestions:

1.avoid right cornrows and keeping them in more than a week or so until your hair is stronger
2. Keep the cornrows out for longer periods
3. Ditch regular use of soapy shampoo. Or get it down to once. Twice a month. Cowashing a cpl times a week instead. Be sure conditioners are silicon free.
4. Try a raw egg for a 5 min pure protein. It could be your hair is reacting to the 1000 other chemicals in these conditioners. Immediately follow with a moisture DC.

This is it for now. Keep us updated on your progress

Thanks DarkJoy. I will keep that in mind for when I buy a wig. I don't do well with co-washing, I really need to wash my scalp. It's cold here, so washing during the week is a no go. I airdry. To date, the conditioners I've been using are natural. Even so, natural things can cause problems too. I try not to use a lot of chemicals on my hair.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
:lol: I profess my love for this brush to anybody that will hear me! I've tried wide toothed combs, Denmans (Satan's brush :nono:), and even my fingers, only to end up frustrated and ready to cut my hair. It was a complete fluke that I found my brush at Kmart and it is identical to the Wet Brush. I was so happy when I used it and found out how well it worked. I was strongly considering either BCing or texlaxing before I got this brush. I'm going to order 2 of them next month.

Okay, I'm done. :lol::lol::lol:

BraunSugar those little round bulbs don't damage your hair?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using LHCF

HanaKuroi

Hairness said:
The back of my head - 11/12

The back of my head 3/13

Thin twists 3/13

I had an allergic reaction to optiphen a common preservative in hair products, and lost my nape a couple of months ago. I couldn't wear my hair up. I was horrified. I had a bald spot the size of a nickel and bad breakage. I started taking mineral rich the liquid vitamin and the bald spot is now a couple of inches long.

Ms Lala

Thanks you FaithVA!!!! I don't post much so it's easy to forget my story. I'm the one that slept in my henna back in January and my hair is dried out and hasn't stopped falling out since...more in the back than the front. The back is crinkly, drawn up, very dry and fragile. Three weeks ago I used Elucence Extended Moisture Repair Treatment. The breakage subsided a little but now it’s back with a vengeance. I think I have to use protein every other week to keep this breakage under control. I always follow with a moisturizing conditioner. At this point, I just want to braid it up and leave it alone.

Where did you buy your wig? How do you plan on caring for your hair underneath?

BTW, I bought some apricot oil. I’ll try it this weekend. I ordered some sunflower oil too….also some more shea butter and will try mango butter for the first time. I understand it’s more moisturizing than shea butter. Thanks again.

I had a horrible experience my first time using henna. I only left it in for a couple hour and had horrible breakage. I would strongly encourage you to give up using ALL products with protein. I didn't get the breakage under control until I gave up all products with protein and did moisturizing DC's regularly. I put my hair in fat twists so I didn't have to manipulate it alot and I even washed and DC'd in those twists. Then I would undo each one and redo. I also had to moisturize 2x daily which is something I didn't need to do before. IHTH