Struggling with your natural hair? Come in here.....

Cruzankink

I am so glad your ends are improving!

I remembered it was someone not that long ago with that problem.

I am glad Jen is letting you send in your samples that was a great suggestion Faith.

What are your thoughts about baggying your ends only?

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

I thought about baggying my ends but I don't know how to do it w/ my shrunken fro.

greenandchic

I was suggesting something stronger. AO GBP is a balancing conditioner. But it doesn't hurt to try it. I don't think your hair isn't in bad shape so trying a few things first shouldn't hurt anything. Try what you have before you go out and buy something else.

Your ends are just porous and they need a little more care.

You're right, my hair is porous in general so it needs more protection and care, especially since I now shampoo weekly. Sometimes I get complacent but that's when my hair suffers.

HanaKuroi I was one of the members complaining about bushy ends.

UPDATE: For appx. 2-3 weeks, I've been remdedying the problem by heavy sealing w/ an olive oil pomade. And although I moisture/seal my hair daily, I have also concentrated on ensuring my ends of super moisturized and sealed. My targeted reggie seems to have helped tremendously since my ends don't feel bushy. But compared to the rest of my hair they are dry. faithVA recommended that I email Komaza care to see if they would allow me to send my follow up sample since I was unable to send it at the requested time. Jenn told me I can. I am just waiting to send a sufficient sample so Jenn can do a thorough examination.

greenandchic I wouldn't recommend you cut 1" off until you determine what's causing the dry ends. As Hana mentioned, last Aug. I cut 1/2-1" of hair and in some areas close to 1.5" and my dry/bushy ends returned.

I won't be cutting anything (other than a dusting) until I care for my ends a little better.

What pomades do you use? I still have a little Oyin Burnt Sugar and just received my Hairitage Coconut Mango Moisturizer a few days ago. :lick:

Cruzankink

You're right, my hair is porous in general so it needs more protection and care, especially since I now shampoo weekly. Sometimes I get complacent but that's when my hair suffers.

I won't be cutting anything (other than a dusting) until I care for my ends a little better.

What pomades do you use? I still have a little Oyin Burnt Sugar and just received my Hairitage Coconut Mango Moisturizer a few days ago. :lick:

@greenandchic I use Organicals Olive Conditioning Pomade from Ingredients to Die For. I only use it on my ends since its to heavy to seal my entire head of fine strands. This is a pomade, not a butter. Ingredients are as follows:

INCI: Ricinus communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Orbignya oleifera (Babassu) Kernel Oil, Persia americana (Avocado) Fruit Oil, EcoCert Hydrogenated Olea europaea (Olive Oil) (and) Olea europaea (Olive Oil) (and) Olea europaea (Olive Oil) Unsaponifiables, Macadamia integrifolia (Macadamia) Nut Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Brassica oleraceae var.Italica (Broccoli) Seed Oil, Glyceryl Monocaprylate (and) Glyceryl Monoundecylenate, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E Mixed Tocotrienols), Ubiquinone (CoQ10)

faithVA

[USER=337891 said:
Cruzankink[/USER];18091673]@greenandchic I use Organicals Olive Conditioning Pomade from Ingredients to Die For. I only use it on my ends since its to heavy to seal my entire head of fine strands. This is a pomade, not a butter. Ingredients are as follows:

INCI: Ricinus communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Orbignya oleifera (Babassu) Kernel Oil, Persia americana (Avocado) Fruit Oil, EcoCert Hydrogenated Olea europaea (Olive Oil) (and) Olea europaea (Olive Oil) (and) Olea europaea (Olive Oil) Unsaponifiables, Macadamia integrifolia (Macadamia) Nut Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Brassica oleraceae var.Italica (Broccoli) Seed Oil, Glyceryl Monocaprylate (and) Glyceryl Monoundecylenate, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E Mixed Tocotrienols), Ubiquinone (CoQ10)

Cruzankink, Do you use any other products from them? I am looking at buying the Marshmallow Moisture Balm?

Last edited:

Igotstripes

I have found that butters make my twist look frizzy. Gels will lay them down but it can also make them hard without an oil layer first. I like twisting creams the best. I get the moisture and smoothness with the hold of a gel.

Try out the gel. And if that doesn't work try out an inexpensive twisting cream like Taliah Waajid.

I tried the gel and the frizz is practically gone :D but now these twists look better than all the other ones which makes me want to take them out lol

Cruzankink

Reggie Tweeks:

Prepoo: When I first started using oils in my reggie it was for HOT. Then I started prepooing w/ EVOO. Then I switched to EVCO. Lately, I've been applying a light coating of protein conditioner to maintain a good hair balance every other week. I'm gonna tweek my reggie again adding a moisturizing con and alternate b/w a protein and moisture con then add EVCO when I prepoo. I've just recived Dessert Essence Coconut Conditioner in the mail. I heard so many good things I can't wait to try it! I plan to use it as my moisture con for my prepoo. As always, I'll post my experience.

PS - My next tweek will be to try the L.O.C. Method of moisturizing. I've read that it works well for medium porosity hair like mine.

faithVA

[USER=346095 said:
Igotstripes[/USER];18091895]I tried the gel and the frizz is practically gone :D but now these twists look better than all the other ones which makes me want to take them out lol

:yay: I would let them sit for a few days so you can see how long the gel controls the frizz. And you can also monitor how well you like the gel or if you want to try something else. But at least you know you can use product to tame it.

Cruzankink

Do you use any other products from them? I am looking at buying the Marshmallow Moisture Balm?

faithVA I bought a sample of the Marshmallow Moisture Balm. I didn't feel like it did anything for my hair. I have some left that I was planning on using on only one side of my head to see if there really is a difference. I just have not gotten around to doing it.

faithVA

faithVA I bought a sample of the Marshmallow Moisture Balm. I didn't feel like it did anything for my hair. I have some left that I was planning on using on only one side of my head to see if there really is a difference. I just have not gotten around to doing it.

Please let me know. One of the bloggers said she used it and it worked wonderfully. I know my hair loves Marshmallow Root so I wanted to try it.

She said she didn't notice the difference necessarily in the way her hair felt but she noticed the difference in the way her hair reacted after using it several times. She said it was easier to hydrate and her curls clumped more, etc.

Bublin

Update & Question

Update - I noticed since I've been using shampoo on my scalp once a week, I have significantly less shedding. I will keep it up to see if the trend continues. I've been dealing with shedding on an off for years but never really got to the bottom of it (besides once when I corrected my low ferritin levels).'

Question - My ends feel pretty rough at times but I don't have split ends or SSKs. I seal often. I wonder if I need to take about 1" off to "correct" this issue but I want to hear from others regarding rough ends that are not related to splits.

greenandchic I started using a sulphate poo a few months ago and my shedding has also reduced. My hair does not like non sulphate poos, they dry out my hair really badly.
To combat the ends drying out - I water rinse as usual and then apply a regular conditioner to half the length of my hair and then only apply the shampoo to my scalp, spreading the excess down the shaft.

OAN - Here in the UK I have been seeing a lot of garlic conditioners on the shelves. Months ago they were unavailable here. I know they are supposed to be good for shedding. Does anyone still use garlic condish and is it moisturising or protein?

greenandchic

greenandchic I started using a sulphate poo a few months ago and my shedding has also reduced. My hair does not like non sulphate poos, they dry out my hair really badly.
To combat the ends drying out - I water rinse as usual and then apply a regular conditioner to half the length of my hair and then only apply the shampoo to my scalp, spreading the excess down the shaft.

OAN - Here in the UK I have been seeing a lot of garlic conditioners on the shelves. Months ago they were unavailable here. I know they are supposed to be good for shedding. Does anyone still use garlic condish and is it moisturising or protein?

Bublin - What shampoos are you using? The shampoo I use is sulfate free, Giovanni Don't be Flaky! anti-dandruff shampoo. I don't have dandruff but it has 2% salicylic acid which helps my itchy scalp.

Bublin

Bublin - What shampoos are you using? The shampoo I use is sulfate free, Giovanni Don't be Flaky! anti-dandruff shampoo. I don't have dandruff but it has 2% salicylic acid which helps my itchy scalp.

I'm using regular vo5 Smooth Me Glossy shampoo. I've tried so many sulphate free even the cleansing creams and my hair is like straw. I would like to try that poo though as my scalp easily gets build up.

faithVA

I got my wig and it is really cute. It looks something like my hair if I stretched it and did a flat twist out. And it is only shoulder length. It's probably between 3" to 5" longer than my hair depending on the sections.

I'm not ready to wear it yet though. I am having a hard time going from a twa to big hair. I may wear it out on the weekend to see if I can get used to it. I have been bald so long I really don't know what to do with hair :lol:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I got my wig and it is really cute. It looks something like my hair if I stretched it and did a flat twist out. And it is only shoulder length. It's probably between 3" to 5" longer than my hair depending on the sections.

I'm not ready to wear it yet though. I am having a hard time going from a twa to big hair. I may wear it out on the weekend to see if I can get used to it. I have been bald so long I really don't know what to do with hair :lol:

Pics! Pics!

Cruzankink

I've reached a plateau in styling my hair. For the past 2-3 mos. I've been alternating 2 styles: flat twist the sides w/ the middle hair in twist out for a mohawk look and flat twist the front and the rest of hair is twist out. I am tired of the looks. I have scoured youtube for more styles but I want a style that last Mon-Fri so I only manipulate my hair on washday/weekends. I think I'm going to revisit bantu knots... again. I haven't done them in a while since they only last 2-3 days. But because I can use more hair in the knot than I use in a twist, it shouldn't take that long to re-knot during the week. If anyone has suggestions let me know.

faithVA

[USER=337891 said:
Cruzankink[/USER];18102193]I've reached a plateau in styling my hair. For the past 2-3 mos. I've been alternating 2 styles: flat twist the sides w/ the middle hair in twist out for a mohawk look and flat twist the front and the rest of hair is twist out. I am tired of the looks. I have scoured youtube for more styles but I want a style that last Mon-Fri so I only manipulate my hair on washday/weekends. I think I'm going to revisit bantu knots... again. I haven't done them in a while since they only last 2-3 days. But because I can use more hair in the knot than I use in a twist, it shouldn't take that long to re-knot during the week. If anyone has suggestions let me know.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm either in a twist out or I pin curl/bantu knot out. Have you tried finger coils. They will last you a solid week. They do take a bit more time up front but require nothing during the week. I have let them go for right now only because I need to have water on my scalp mid-week.

I think I have another 4 months before my twists are long enough to wear out in public. I may splurge in May and have some cornrows put in.

faithVA

I bought this Conair brush because I couldn't remember what BraunSugars picture looked like.

http://www.target.com/p/conair-2pk-cush-brsh-value-pk/-/A-13958886#prodSlot=medium_1_27&term=conair+hair+brush

It was less than $6 for both the large and the small. I know I wasn't going to take them back so decided to try them. Yeah, I really like this brush. I have being wearing a twistout since Wednesday and I just slept with a bonnet on last night and finger puffed it this morning. It was starting to shrink but hadn't completely dried out. So I rinsed in the shower and then saturated it with diluted AO Blue Chamomile conditioner. I pulled section apart with my fingers. Then I used the brush. I detangled my ends and then the brushed just glided through my hair. Nothing ever glides through my hair :nono: I have 3 seamless combs and they have never glided through my hair.

So I was expecting this large mass of hair in the shower drain when I rinsed my brush :nono: Nope. The only hair in the drain is what came out with my finger. And it smoothed the conditioner into my hair. I detangled through my entire head in the amount of time it usually takes me to do 1 or 2 sections.

The main thing I noticed is that it doesn't tug on my hair which the seamless combs do. You can always feel my hair fighting with the bone comb. It has no give and my curls just snap.

greenandchic DarkJoy HanaKuroi Thank you Ladies for your responses and suggestions. Yes I have fine hair and i know it used to not be like this when I was in high school and college I could wear braids for at least 2 months. Now my texture has changed.

greenandchic the type of twist I had were Kinky twist with extensions so I didn't have any problems with the fuzz its just at the base they started sliding down within a week to the two week mark. I do have shorter hair in some places but even in the areas where my longer hair is.

BraunSugar, where art thou?

Are either of these the brushes you mentioned?

brush1.jpg

brush2.jpg

Cruzankink

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm either in a twist out or I pin curl/bantu knot out. Have you tried finger coils. They will last you a solid week. They do take a bit more time up front but require nothing during the week. I have let them go for right now only because I need to have water on my scalp mid-week.

I think I have another 4 months before my twists are long enough to wear out in public. I may splurge in May and have some cornrows put in.

@faithVA Snap!!! I forgot about those! I follow charyjay on youtube and she does all these styles w/ finger coils. I have never done them before since my hair was shorter and the styles wouldn't look right. But I think I can try them now. Thanx for the suggestion. Speaking of CharyJay below is a pic of us in Oct 2012 at a local natural hair show. Her hair felt sooo soft! If you follow her on yt you'll know that her hair is longer than shown in the pic. The Caribbean humidity is a b*&%$!

Chary Jay & Me.JPG

faithVA

[USER=337891 said:
Cruzankink[/USER];18103099]@faithVA Snap!!! I forgot about those! I follow charyjay on youtube and she does all these styles w/ finger coils. I have never done them before since my hair was shorter and the styles wouldn't look right. But I think I can try them now. Thanx for the suggestion. Speaking of CharyJay below is a pic of us in Oct 2012 at a local natural hair show. Her hair felt sooo soft! If you follow her on yt you'll know that her hair is longer than shown in the pic. The Caribbean humidity is a b*&%$!

View attachment 200549

I have seen her yt videos. Her hair looks soft in the videos. My hair does not do any of what her's does :lol:

I have done finger coils at 2". If you keep them small they look better I think.

I may check out some of her videos to see what I can do with this hair I have. I think an extra inch will help with styling :yep:

Cruzankink

What about mini braids or mini twists? @Cruzankink

They take a while upfront but should last a cpl weeks.

DarkJoy Thanx for the suggestion! I'm going to try them on my upcoming vacation. Mini-twist is perfect to maintain for 1.5 weeks - I don't want to fall back on WnGs. However, I can't to do mini-anything on my jam packed weekends. Plus my DH is already complaining about my wash-day/weekend reggie which starts Friday night w/ my overnite prepoo. :look:

faithVA

faithVA The pic w/ CharyJay was taken in Oct. 2012 . Below is my Oct 2012 length check.

View attachment 200571

um, so how long is your hair :look: October was 5 months ago girl. You can't be using old length check pics :lol:

So are you at chin length now or much longer than that?

That is a good length to do mini twists on. My hair is currently the length in your pic. Too short for me to do mini twists or any other type of twists and wear them out.

Cruzankink

um, so how long is your hair :look: October was 5 months ago girl. You can't be using old length check pics :lol:

So are you at chin length now or much longer than that?

That is a good length to do mini twists on. My hair is currently the length in your pic. Too short for me to do mini twists or any other type of twists and wear them out.

faithVA Sorry... I thought you wanted to see my hair length at the time I took the pic w/ Chary Jay. No... I dont have chin length hair. I wish. :lol: Below is a pic of my last length check in Jan 2013.

Front Jan 2013.JPG