Southern- W. Indian- Haitian Grandmother's Recipes

Vintagecoilylocks

Since I used fresh coconut I imagine I got the best level of coconut smell one could for oil. Olive oil does not smell really strong of olives. Nor does walnut, almond apricot, peach or grapeseed.
I think you have to except natural products for what they are not expect them to be like the actual meat of the item or an atificially scented item. The scent is carried in certain portions of the food product. Add drops of cocnut scented oil to enhance the scent if you wish.

ellennicole

I'm not adding anything new, but my grandmother (also a beautician) was VERY big on using Castor Oil to keep hair healthy. She also used to make her own special "hair grease" with Sulphur and some other ingredients.

Kinda off /on subject, but she traveled to E. India and brought back some Indian hemp which was WONDERFUL for keeping our hair soft and silky.

Mahalialee4

Re: The Indian Hemp!!!!!Could you please describe what kind of Indian Hemp she brought back? Was it a powder, an oil oir a grease or what? I would love to get the pure Indian Hemp and use it in a recipe. Where can I purchase this? I have been looking for a long time for the herbal powder of this stuff. Thank You for a quick reply. Bonjour

Mahalialee4

Well it is time for an update wouldn't you say ladies? I have found the Indian Hemp and all the other things I have been looking for for years. How many of you are getting results with these things. Does anyone have any recipes for Indian Hemp for the hair? bonjour

caribeandiva

Human being
Re: Southern- W. Indian- Haitian Grandmother\'s Rec

ccd said:
moelle de boeuf but that's Cow's Bone Marrow .....I'll ask my fam about the castor oil....

i'm Haitian and when were younger my mama used the same "moelle de boeuf" on our hair. she swore it makes hair grow faster. It never worked on our hair. Both of my grandmothers had long hair. they use some kinda of oil (Maskriti oil, i don't know the english equivalent) everytime they combed and braided their hair. of course their hair was tied most the time. most haitian women i know swear maskriti oil is the best way to grow their hair. again, my experience with it proved otherwise.

sherann

Re: Southern- W. Indian- Haitian Grandmother\'s Recipes

ananas said:
second the castor oil sentiment here - my mom used to go to the market and get the thick, dark, nutty smelling castor oil - and she used to oil my scalp with it and put a plastic (scandal) bag on my head - so that it could be 'steamed'.

we used to use tuna (a type of aloe vera plant) to wash the hair - left it very soft and managable.

once a week my hair would be washed,oiled and put into 'chinee bumps' or nubian knots overnight and then taken out for school on monday morning. Soft hair!

the only thing that i have taken away from my family's hair habits is the castor oil - the caramel coloured one that you get at health shops for a laxative - i mix it with conditioner and use it as a leave in.

for skin - well... that's a whole 'nother story.

yours

ana

I remember we used to call plastic bags , "scandal bags" growing up in the islands as children. I still have no idea why, its funny though:lol: Its as though the bag is hiding something scandalous!

BamaBelle

Re: Southern- W. Indian- Haitian Grandmother\'s Recipes

teerama said:
I have never posted here before but am a faithful lurker. I had to respond to this one. My family is from St. Lucia and yes Castor Oil is very big there for healthy hair. I am not talking about the stuff you can get in a health food store this is the dark brown, smelly, thick stuff. I dont know how they prepare but I usually ask my mom to bring me some whenever she goes home. I have some in the house and as a matter of fact, ever since I got married (3 years) I stopped using it--the smell.

I am definitely going to start using it again. My aunt used to use it as a hot oil treatment before shampooing and/or put it in their conditioner. Speaking of the Cow Bone's Marrow, I sometimes use a deep conditioner called Bone Marrow and I add the castor oil to that. come to think of it, my hair was its best then!!! Thanks for reminding me! Also, I remember I had a Haitian babysitter as a child. Under her care, I had pretty, thick hair. She used DAX grease in my hair. The black one-I believe it is the one with Pine Tar. It did not smell too good either but hey, it works!!!

Oh yes: Kacotah! The black one... That and a Glover's Mane treatment once a month. My hair was never loooonnnnggg but it was very soft, and the envy of the family: "She got that good hair..." (I never understood the "good hair" thing because they thought my cousin who had thick LONG hair was prettier...)