Southern- W. Indian- Haitian Grandmother's Recipes

Growingitlong

Re: Southern- W. Indian- Haitian Grandmother\'s Recipes

Most use it as much like you grease. YOu it to grease the scalp and then sooth some over the hair itself. Keeps the hair moist too

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"

I have a bottle of that "black castor oil".. they do make it in Dominica, and bottle them in green beer bottles. I think the dark bottles is what keeps the oil dark.. I'll inquire some more.. but I wish Granny were alive to tell me!

Laela

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:

Chinee Bumps...wow....I remember those days....that was a Saturday night ritual for church in the AM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lawd, I remember those days, and those big "congos" (inverted braids)

Laela

this girl's from Dominica, I can almost be sure she's used castor oil...

Laela

this other natural's hair is very thick, pretty, too.. Scroll down to LINTHIA AUGUSTINE -->web page

Growingitlong

I'd wouldn't say that it is the bottles which keep the oil dark. It is the method of production.

Mahalialee4

In the meantime, I made up my pine tar hair oil and you have to appreciate that I am from the far North so a bushy head of hair is like gold here and I have a lot of the old settler and Indian ways of making what you need, because that is how I grew up. Indian people are very knowledgeable about herbs and oil, and they taught us about the pine oil. Sure keeps the scalp clean. Farnams Brand made by Healthy Horse makes the pine tar without additives and is great to use in soaps, and the only one I have considered to make my oil. I buy it from a pharmacy that sells products for humans and animals. That is where Mane and Tail Straight Arrow, Hoofmaker and Eqyss started and they make products for both. In my opinion hair cannot be too thick. My pine tar hair oil...I heated my evo (about a large cup full) and added a quarter tsp. of pure pine tar to it. It mixed in the heated oil really well. I poured it into a small empty evo glass bottle and shook it well. Then I add more evo, a couple of tbl. of my Nature's Way Black Castor Oil, a tbl. of pure shark oil, a few drops of tea tree oil, a few drops of Rosemary ess. oil and a couple of drops of Spikenard ess. oil. Shook it well. I had already done the Surge thing earlier and used my homemade wild growth on my hair length. I decided to use my oil on top of it and it is perfect. Talk about stimulating! And no itching! I swear that my scalp follicles are breathing. (Pine tar is said to significantly increase the circulation in the scalp as well as increase the health and tone. Now once I get the REAL BLACK Castor oil, LOOK OUT!...I am good to go. Oh and I went to the African store and picked up a bottle of the Bone Marrow Shampoo and Conditioner that is made right in Quebec, Canada and I know the Haitians in Quebec swear by it. I am believing for good things ladies, and it is so wonderful to hear from all of you Island ladies. I learned about the Shea Butter and Black Soap from my African sisters and use it faithfully as well. See how much we can learn together!
Happy Hair Growing. Bonjour

happylocks

Yep we do learn alot , I never thought hair could be too thick, I want some pine tar, and sulfur

ms_kenesha

I have a light yellowish castor oil from Cedarvale and it is very thick, so I'm sure the dark kind is as thick if not thicker, so my question is do you heat it up to make it thinner and spread easier? Also wanted to say you all are gonna make me pull out my credit card again!

Koffie

happylocks,

Pine tar and sulfur is in Frenchees, and its also in Glovers mane, so if I'm not mistaken, you HAVE pine tar & sulfur.

G

For those that use the Black Castor Oil on your scalps, do you have to clarify more? I mean does it "clog" the scalp in anyway...from reading all the threads on Castor Oil I understand that it makes the hair grow...but since its so thick..wouldn't it also make "block" growth from the scalp and "clog" the scalp pores?

aikaa71

Mahalialee,

Thanks for you review .I always look forward to reading your reviews on natural products.:)
I recently went out and bought a shampoo(its called polytar) that has pine tar as the main ingredient. It does not have SLSs, so I may consider using it on my hair too. I use it on my scalp only to clean my itchy scalp and it does a good job. I have noticed in the 2 weeks I used it, my hair feel thicker and softer. I am happy to read that pine tar has other benefits too.

chanou

HI everyone, I'm new to this forum. I saw this discussion about castor oil and I just had to become a member.

I went natural in college and the only thing that could tame my nappy hair and keep it soft was the virgin castor oil. My hair grew very fast and it was tick. I used that oil for five years until I got a perm and a live in boyfriend- (the smell is not fun).
I started using it again about 2 months ago and it's made wonders on my hair.
My mom just sent me a big bottle that she got from Haiti.If anyone is in the DC area, I'm willing to share it.
just PM me.

felicia

do you guys wash it out or leave it in? will it have the same affeact if you wash it out?
thanks

moneychaser

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
Do you heat it up to make it thinner and spread easier?

[/ QUOTE ]

Vanessa22

Re: Southern- W. Indian- Haitian Grandmother\'s Rec

This is a very interesting thread. As a Haitian, I'll have to ask my mom, my aunts, and my grandmother if they know of any of this. I'll keep you ladies posted! Thanks!

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
For those that use the Black Castor Oil on your scalps, do you have to clarify more? I mean does it "clog" the scalp in anyway...from reading all the threads on Castor Oil I understand that it makes the hair grow...but since its so thick..wouldn't it also make "block" growth from the scalp and "clog" the scalp pores?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this question too. I'm wondering also if it's necessary to clarify more and if pores can be clogged. And how much is too much to use on the hair?

It makes sense that pure, unrefined castor oil will thicken and grow hair more. It sure works on eyelashes and eyebrows!

G

Isis: Do you use the Black Castor Oil on your eyelashes or the regular kind from the store? How do you apply it and does it really make the eyelash grow longer and thicker?

hotshot

i use the black kind on my eyelashes and scalp and the clear kind in my lotion.

G

[ QUOTE ]
hotshot said:
i use the black kind on my eyelashes

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it make your eyelashes longer?

1ariel

You can find tar shampoo in Sally's or most any black hair supply store. I used to ues it because it got my hair so clean.

happylocks

Welcome chanou
Ill take some
what is virgin, I bought Heritage Castor oil, I thought that was a good brand and the right one
, guess there is something better, but for now am on the S8 and frenchees, so Ill have to wait before I get anything eles, and just use up my H Castor oil, it should work fine, just not as strong I guess, best of luck to every 1

chanou

to me virgin castor oil, as others I know have called it, is unrefined castor oil. Someone usually does it and bottle it at their house, it has that stincky smell and is black, well not black maybe dark brown.

hotshot

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
[ QUOTE ]
hotshot said:
i use the black kind on my eyelashes

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it make your eyelashes longer?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, and i use it as makeup remover.

G

Thanks. Does it make your face greasy though? I mean when you use it as a makeup remover?

chanou

I've never used it on my face. only hair. I don't know about my face coz it's so thick I might break out. Alpha hydroxy has always been my friends for dark spots. I'll stick to that.

G

Chanou- or anyone who use it on their hair/scalps- can you answer this question for me?

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:

[/ QUOTE ]