Southern- W. Indian- Haitian Grandmother's Recipes

happylocks

Re: Southern- W. Indian- Haitian Grandmother\'s Recipes

thanks for the reply, anothing post about Castor oil talked about Palma Christi so I got that one from Heritage, it pure cold pressed not that dark, like an off white/yellow, anyone in houston know where to get the blk jamaican castor oil thanks

hotshot

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
Thanks. Does it make your face greasy though? I mean when you use it as a makeup remover?

[/ QUOTE ]
im sorry, i meant i only use it as an eye makeup remover. olive oil IMO is the best remover, but castor oil makes those lashes grow.

hotshot

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:

Chanou- or anyone who use it on their hair/scalps- can you answer this question for me?

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
For those that use the Black Castor Oil on your scalps, do you have to clarify more? I mean does it "clog" the scalp in anyway...from reading all the threads on Castor Oil I understand that it makes the hair grow...but since its so thick..wouldn't it also make "block" growth from the scalp and "clog" the scalp pores?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i clarify with ACV weekly regardless of the castor oil.

G

Thanks. I need to get some Black Castor Oil quick. I saw a recipe for an "oil mixture" of Castor oil, Jojoba oil, peppermint oil, rosemary oil, and clary sage. I'm going to be broke [too late-already broke-lol!] buying all of this but I want to "stimulate" growth as much as possible.

Nova

Does anyone know if this particular brand of castor oil or any brand of raw, unfilitered castor oil can be purchased in the Chicagoland area?

My search turned up "zero" results.

Thanks!

azul11

Does anyone know of any stores that carry this castor oil? I dont like buying online. God bless you all.

Brownshugaz

where are you finding the tar soap? also my friend just bought some castor oil and was wondering how to use it?? I definitely remember Saturday being wash day and getting my hair washed with v05 balsam and protein shampoo and conditioner then getting it greased with DAX and put in chiney bumps to dry. I also took cod liver oil every day, bu7t I had to drink it!!

Healthb4Length

My Jamaican grandma would use black castor oil on my hair, I must say my hair was long and soft when she used it. I don't even know why I stopped using it, I guess trying to be grown but now I am back to using castor oil...the white kind but it still gives great results

belleza

Is the castor oil supposed to be washed out? If it is really thick, do you warm it slightly to make it usable. Lanolin was mentioned as well. Where can you get the soft kind?

SherryLove

yes... i can attest to the magic of sweet ole castor oil....I always use the light colored kind on my hair.....it really does help with hair growth and thickness....it also penetrates the scalp and skin well... /images/graemlins/up.gif /images/graemlins/up.gif /images/graemlins/up.gif

Healthb4Length

To Belleza, I've personally used castor oil in many ways, I mix it up with essential oils and use it on my ends, some times I use it as a pre-poo treatment. It leaves my hair soft for days! I never really warmed it but I don't think there is any harm if you do so. I usually just use a tiny amount and them emulsify with my hands and spread...that's it! You can get the light color type at health food stores Like Wholefood Markets or you can order online.

To Sherry, Yeah it works great on my skin too cause I get really really dry in the winter time. I just put some on right out of the shower while my skin is a little damp and it keeps my skin moist all day. I will never go without castor oil again!

KAddy

I found this in my search for information on Castor Oil. It was on a website about Egyptian Beauty Secrets

<font color="blue">The following formula can be used to stimulate hair growth or merely to improve the texture and appearance of one's hair. Almond Oil and Castor Oil were among the vegetable oils used by the Egyptians. Castor Oil is frequently used in an attempt to encourage hair growth but it has a very viscous texture. Mixing it with the Sweet Almond Oil will improve the aroma and make the resulting oil smoother and more easily spread. However, if you wish to somewhat reproduce the stickiness and "tacky" feel of resin from the original formula, eliminate the Sweet Almond Oil and double the proportion of Castor.</font>

Honeyhips

Lovely

[ QUOTE ]
That's funny cause I was trying to find research on pine tar this morning. I've used the soaps and shampoos (as a youngster) and I'm looking to add it into my wash routine. I think Neutragena even has a "tar shampoo", but I'll check with Whole Foods first.

Here's a site the sells the Black Castor Oil. http://www.jamaicaplace.com/health_traditional.htm

[/ QUOTE ]thank you

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate

I tried that link and it seems to be down /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

KAddy

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was just my computer at work. I tried yesterday and today.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I tried it a few weeks ago and it said the business was down due to the hurricanes hitting Jamaica. I guess they decided just to take the whole thing down now. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

L

LaNecia

Honeyhips said:
[ QUOTE ]
That's funny cause I was trying to find research on pine tar this morning. I've used the soaps and shampoos (as a youngster) and I'm looking to add it into my wash routine. I think Neutragena even has a "tar shampoo", but I'll check with Whole Foods first.

Here's a site the sells the Black Castor Oil. http://www.jamaicaplace.com/health_traditional.htm

[/ QUOTE ]thank you

If someone has success ordering from this site, can you post? I ordered from them last year, twice, was never billed or received merchandise. Emails went unanswered. :nono:

ccd

teerama said:
I have never posted here before but am a faithful lurker. I had to respond to this one. My family is from St. Lucia and yes Castor Oil is very big there for healthy hair. I am not talking about the stuff you can get in a health food store this is the dark brown, smelly, thick stuff. I dont know how they prepare but I usually ask my mom to bring me some whenever she goes home. I have some in the house and as a matter of fact, ever since I got married (3 years) I stopped using it--the smell.

I am definitely going to start using it again. My aunt used to use it as a hot oil treatment before shampooing and/or put it in their conditioner. Speaking of the Cow Bone's Marrow, I sometimes use a deep conditioner called Bone Marrow and I add the castor oil to that. come to think of it, my hair was its best then!!! Thanks for reminding me! Also, I remember I had a Haitian babysitter as a child. Under her care, I had pretty, thick hair. She used DAX grease in my hair. The black one-I believe it is the one with Pine Tar. It did not smell too good either but hey, it works!!!

YEAHHHH!!! THAT'S Right...Now I remember the smell!!! Pine tar was definitely used and DAX ( the black one and green one I think.....)

Vintagecoilylocks

I have bought pine tar from southern states farm supply. We used it on our lambs and horses for medicne to heal cuts and scrapes. It protected the wound from flies and infection. Is this the same product. If so it must have some type of health benefit.

Reference the dark castor oil. The castor oil in healthfood stores is cold pressed. Just like cocnut oil that is clear when warm and solid white when cold. In the philipines I was surching for coconut oil and when my maid brouhgt me some it was dark like dark kyro syrup. It had a strong smell. She assured me it was coconut oil. Well I had her make some at my home. Later I pulled out an old book I had which gave the recipe to make coconut oil. When I was finished mine was clear and white when solid.
It is only the process that gives the color. Roasting the nuts first is most likely why the oil is dark. My maid cooked her coconut solution on a high flame basically roasting the coconut, then the oil seeped out. I slow simmered mine for hours resulting in separating the oil before the coconut cooked. Cold pressed obtains the oil with out the use of heating or roasting.

Therefore, the coconut oil she made was cooked rendering the dark color and strong smell. Mine was extracted slowly and was clear and lite plesant smell. Most likely they work equally the same unless it can be shown that cooking oil makes it better. If you cooked out the oil of olives it most likely would be darker with a strong smell. Most olive oil is cold pressed that we buy.
Not a scientist but did see the difference with the coconut process.

tryn2growmyhair

Vintagecoilylocks said:
I have bought pine tar from southern states farm supply. We used it on our lambs and horses for medicne to heal cuts and scrapes. It protected the wound from flies and infection. Is this the same product. If so it must have some type of health benefit.

Reference the dark castor oil. The castor oil in healthfood stores is cold pressed. Just like cocnut oil that is clear when warm and solid white when cold. In the philipines I was surching for coconut oil and when my maid brouhgt me some it was dark like dark kyro syrup. It had a strong smell. She assured me it was coconut oil. Well I had her make some at my home. Later I pulled out an old book I had which gave the recipe to make coconut oil. When I was finished mine was clear and white when solid.
It is only the process that gives the color. Roasting the nuts first is most likely why the oil is dark. My maid cooked her coconut solution on a high flame basically roasting the coconut, then the oil seeped out. I slow simmered mine for hours resulting in separating the oil before the coconut cooked. Cold pressed obtains the oil with out the use of heating or roasting.

Therefore, the coconut oil she made was cooked rendering the dark color and strong smell. Mine was extracted slowly and was clear and lite plesant smell. Most likely they work equally the same unless it can be shown that cooking oil makes it better. If you cooked out the oil of olives it most likely would be darker with a strong smell. Most olive oil is cold pressed that we buy.
Not a scientist but did see the difference with the coconut process.
Could you let us know how you make coconut oil? It would be wonderful if you gave step by step instructions.TIA.

Vintagecoilylocks

To tryn2growmyhair,

Unless you live in the tropics or someplace you can get coconuts fresh and cheap it is better to just purchase it in the numerous places suggested in the thread. It takes alot of coconut meat to make just a few ounces. The price of cocnut in the states makes it ridiculas to even try. I could purchase fresh coconut over there for 5 cents each. This included getting the outer hull cracked and the meat shredded. I even had a few coconut trees in my back yard. Banana trees too so banana recipies were cheap to use. The oil you purchase is fine and is made from fresh coconut. I currently have a jar from spectrum naturals.

Vintagecoilylocks

Oh yes the correction on my thread. Oils are expeller pressed and some are cold pressed. Cold pressed is expeller pressed at below 0 temperatures.

Then of course the other method is cooking it out.

tryn2growmyhair

Vintagecoilylocks said:
To tryn2growmyhair,

Unless you live in the tropics or someplace you can get coconuts fresh and cheap it is better to just purchase it in the numerous places suggested in the thread. It takes alot of coconut meat to make just a few ounces. The price of cocnut in the states makes it ridiculas to even try. I could purchase fresh coconut over there for 5 cents each. This included getting the outer hull cracked and the meat shredded. I even had a few coconut trees in my back yard. Banana trees too so banana recipies were cheap to use. The oil you purchase is fine and is made from fresh coconut. I currently have a jar from spectrum naturals.
I would still like to know how to do it because I sometimes visit the tropics. TIA.

Vintagecoilylocks

I used five to six large coconuts a recipe. Pour off clear liquid in a qt jar. Have the meat ground out of the shell. Place in a large glass bowl. I had a huge mixing bowl. Slowly add fresh water at a rate of about 1 cup at a time up to about four or five cups. Add 1 cup then start to knead(acturally sort of mashing then squeazing) the meat and water add another cup and knead as you knead a white liquid will begin to appear. This is coconut milk. Continue until all the water has been added. This is why I only use 5-6 at a time. Large coconuts are larger than the ones I see here in the grocery stores and my hands get really tired squeazing and mashing. The milk should be rich and white. Not thin looking. Thats how you regulate the water you are adding. Then I strain and press the coconut mixture through a strainer into a glass bowl.

You must plan to have a few hours to stand by so not to scorch or burn the coconut milk.
I used a wide base enamel pan. I got it from Spain. It was a piaja(spell) pan. May be a wide pyex skillet or shallow enamal skillet. You don't want your milk any deeper than2 inches. My stove had a large slow cook burner. You want the heat spreadout under the pan for even heating.

Heat on very low flame til you see vapors or steam. Do not let boil or bubble. Very slow and low. No stirring so the flame is so low no sticking will occur. Then take out your knitting or crossstitch and sit back. The milk will begin to custard up after a long while. keep low flame. No cooking it. As it clumps up a clear oil will begin to escape running between the clumps. The longer the more oil will appear. The coconut "custard" will separate more and the oil will run inbetween clumps. I would then gently move the clumps to make vally's and a river to tip the pan and drain off the oil. Generally I got 3-5 oz of oil. That is the at home on the stove method I have.

Cold press requires sub zero temperatures and high pressure to press out the oil or a expellar press.

The difference to my maids method was at the stove. She used a regular flame and basically cooked the coconut milk. When the oil appeared the coconut milk custard like clumps had turned dark brown(mine had remained white) and thus released a dark oil with a definately strong cooked smell.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
So has anyone here gotten extremely long hair results from using these pine tar, sulphur and oil products and Indian/Haitian recipes???? So it doesn't cause buildup on the hair or scalp??? :confused:

tryn2growmyhair

Vintagecoilylocks said:
I used five to six large coconuts a recipe. Pour off clear liquid in a qt jar. Have the meat ground out of the shell. Place in a large glass bowl. I had a huge mixing bowl. Slowly add fresh water at a rate of about 1 cup at a time up to about four or five cups. Add 1 cup then start to knead(acturally sort of mashing then squeazing) the meat and water add another cup and knead as you knead a white liquid will begin to appear. This is coconut milk. Continue until all the water has been added. This is why I only use 5-6 at a time. Large coconuts are larger than the ones I see here in the grocery stores and my hands get really tired squeazing and mashing. The milk should be rich and white. Not thin looking. Thats how you regulate the water you are adding. Then I strain and press the coconut mixture through a strainer into a glass bowl.

You must plan to have a few hours to stand by so not to scorch or burn the coconut milk.
I used a wide base enamel pan. I got it from Spain. It was a piaja(spell) pan. May be a wide pyex skillet or shallow enamal skillet. You don't want your milk any deeper than2 inches. My stove had a large slow cook burner. You want the heat spreadout under the pan for even heating.

Heat on very low flame til you see vapors or steam. Do not let boil or bubble. Very slow and low. No stirring so the flame is so low no sticking will occur. Then take out your knitting or crossstitch and sit back. The milk will begin to custard up after a long while. keep low flame. No cooking it. As it clumps up a clear oil will begin to escape running between the clumps. The longer the more oil will appear. The coconut "custard" will separate more and the oil will run inbetween clumps. I would then gently move the clumps to make vally's and a river to tip the pan and drain off the oil. Generally I got 3-5 oz of oil. That is the at home on the stove method I have.

Cold press requires sub zero temperatures and high pressure to press out the oil or a expellar press.

The difference to my maids method was at the stove. She used a regular flame and basically cooked the coconut milk. When the oil appeared the coconut milk custard like clumps had turned dark brown(mine had remained white) and thus released a dark oil with a definately strong cooked smell.
Thanks so much for this. This is great. Did this have a strong coconut smell? I am not sure if you mentioned this. It has been really hard for me to find a coconut oil that smells coconuty. Thanks again for this. That was really nice of you. :grin: