Shea Moisture Help: Leaves Hair Poofy

auparavant

My daughter has well-defined curls naturally and uses a gel to set them so they don't frizz up during the day. She recently ordered Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. Well, it takes our her curl and makes it frizz in a few hours. Any suggestions? Is there something else she should be using along with the smoothie to set her hair?

AsTheCurlzTurns

Have she tried using the same gel she used before on top of the SM? I use this same product and use the blue ecostyler gel on top.

Others may chime in for suggestions of other products to try.

SmilingElephant

AsTheCurlzTurns said:
Have she tried using the same gel she used before on top of the SM? I use this same product and use the blue ecostyler gel on top.

Others may chime in for suggestions of other products to try.

I was gonna say the same. She'll need some gel to hold the curls. The smoothie makes a great leave in underneath. So does the milk.

Sent from my N860 using LHCF

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I love the smoothie and it's moisturizing. Unfortunately, because its so moisturizing it causes the hair to revert.

I don't think there's much you can do to stop reversion. Perhaps she can use it under the gel and then try something else like castor oil or pure shea butter to keep moisturized w/o reverting through the week.

anartist4u2001

i love Shea Moisture!!!!!!! it moisturizes so well. it works great with my hair. i don't have big curls. i mainly just use SM for moisturize my hair, and i love it!

Leslie_C

I love shea moisture smoothie as a moisturizer! Ive had success using a mix of 1 part curl enhancing smoothie to two parts eco styler mixed as a styler. I also have read that some people use a 50/50 mix...I used more gel bc my transitioning hair doesnt hold styles too well. It gave me a soft, touchable hold and got multi-day hair from it. win win situation! hth!

PS my hair typically poofs and all definition vanishes as soon as I go outside, so to get more than a day out of the style is a miracle in itself!

auparavant

I love the smoothie and it's moisturizing. Unfortunately, because its so moisturizing it causes the hair to revert.

I don't think there's much you can do to stop reversion. Perhaps she can use it under the gel and then try something else like castor oil or pure shea butter to keep moisturized w/o reverting through the week.

She's chemical free...3c hair...it makes it frizzy. She hates oils and won't use pure shea. We've tried just about everything. Eco Styler is great by itself to set her curls but she gets frizz while using it together with the Shea Moisture. She usually uses Herbal Essence conditioner as a leave-in with no frizziness and poof. We spent 55.00 on product and I think it's gonna go to waste lol.

DaiseeDay

auparavant said:
She's chemical free...3c hair...it makes it frizzy. She hates oils and won't use pure shea. We've tried just about everything. Eco Styler is great by itself to set her curls but she gets frizz while using it together with the Shea Moisture. She usually uses Herbal Essence conditioner as a leave-in with no frizziness and poof. We spent 55.00 on product and I think it's gonna go to waste lol.

Well can you take some of it back!?

Some people can't use heavy moisturizers - she probably has fine strands. Sounds like her hair is like mine and has a "weak" curl pattern with fine strands. You have to make sure that the protein moisture balance is right or else the hair will be frizzy and curls won't stay. Try a protein treatment, even if she doesn't need it her hair may like it. I personally always get really strong bouncy curls after a protein treatment. But she'll probably still need a lot of hold in products especially in the summer. A heavy leave-in can cancel out the hold so if what she's been using works stick with it or get similar products. Don't worry some people just don't need the heavy stuff all the time. I only use butters as deep treatments or pre-wash and use minimum leave-in in the summer.

Has she been able to use the Shea Moisture or similar products before?

What else did you buy?

Last edited:

Mz.MoMo5235

If her hair is doing good with the EH as a leave in then maybe her hair prefers silicone. I know my hair is good friends with silicone so I barely ever go 100% silicone free

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
I would look into pH balancing her products (kimmaytube on youtube) and MohagonyCurls on youtube has amazing wash n go's for enhancing curls. as for shea moisture.....i only like the shampoo....the deep treatment masque, which is also a leave-in, and daily moisturizer doesn't penetrate my hair at all.

She could be having porosity issues? or she might need a protein treatment. HTH

auparavant

Well can you take some of it back!?

Some people can't use heavy moisturizers - she probably has fine strands. Sounds like her hair is like mine and has a "weak" curl pattern with fine strands. You have to make sure that the protein moisture balance is right or else the hair will be frizzy and curls won't stay. Try a protein treatment, even if she doesn't need it her hair may like it. I personally always get really strong bouncy curls after a protein treatment. But she'll probably still need a lot of hold in products especially in the summer. A heavy leave-in can cancel out the hold so if what she's been using works stick with it or get similar products. Don't worry some people just don't need the heavy stuff all the time. I only use butters as deep treatments or pre-wash and use minimum leave-in in the summer.

Has she been able to use the Shea Moisture or similar products before?

What else did you buy?

We got just the curl enhancing smoothie. She has a very strong curl pattern. I think the hair is coarse rather than fine...but I could be wrong. It's wiry. Could be the extra humidity this summer and all the sweating as well. Thing is, she's tired of Eco-Styler and I told her she probably needs to clarify her hair. We got these 12 oz. jars for 4.95 each. I'm going to keep them, esp. for winter and for my own hair :giggle:

Well, she complains that everything hates her hair. Thanks to everybody for responding!!!!!!! Last thing I'm going to suggest to her is a watery glaze like Paul Mitchell's for hold rather than gel. After that, I'mma roll my eyes. lol.

gennatay

I use a little Aloe Vera Gel (Fruit of the Earth) mixed with my Shea Moisture when I want to curls to last.